John Murphy officially stepping down as Bills' play by play announcer

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

Disagree. Go throw a bunch of money at the Minnesota  play by play guy (Paul Allen) and his spotter. Don’t think there would be any objections. 

You forgot when he had his heart completely shattered in 2003. 

I enjoyed him for decades. He had the aw shucks small-town charm that I think represented Buffalo well. At least those teams. Wish him a good recovery and happy retirement or whatever he's going into or leaving.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I enjoyed him for decades. He had the aw shucks small-town charm that I think represented Buffalo well. At least those teams. Wish him a good recovery and happy retirement or whatever he's going into or leaving.

He is from Western New York so he was always one of us

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Disagree. Go throw a bunch of money at the Minnesota  play by play guy (Paul Allen) and his spotter. Don’t think there would be any objections. 

Give it a few games someone on here would find something to complain about.  

I was anxious to watch that video clip to see how well he is doing.  I was kind of surprised as he's clearly very functional, but it's still not good.  So given that this news comes as a result of his poor health, it's sad.

Having said that, from a purely professional perspective, moving on from him is a huge improvement.

Although, the guy who has been filling in (Greg Brown) is getting rather annoying with his deliberately over-the-top high pitched squeaky  proclamations.  "And it was CAUGHT by Stephon Diggs for a TOUCHDOWN.

He sounds like he is deliberately mimicking real announcers as he plays announcer.

Time for Pegula to pony up some coin for a real, permanent, play by play guy with some talent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wasn't a big fan of Murphy as a play-by-play guy.  He had huge shoes to fill left by Van Miller and he wasn't quite able to do it.  Few could.  It's similar to what is going on with the Sabres (Dan Dunleavy taking over for legend Rick Jeanneret).  I agree with all that say that Murphy is a great guy, by all accounts, and a mainstay on the Buffalo sports scene for a long time.  I wish him improved health and a happy retirement.  I have not listened to the temp guys the Bills have used to fill in for Murph (I'm out of market), but based on what's been said here, it appears they need to look for someone currently outside of the organization to be the new full-time voice of the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I always loved his Touchdown Buffalo calls.

They seemed genuinely enthusiastic 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I was anxious to watch that video clip to see how well he is doing.  I was kind of surprised as he's clearly very functional, but it's still not good.  So given that this news comes as a result of his poor health, it's sad.

Having said that, from a purely professional perspective, moving on from him is a huge improvement.

Although, the guy who has been filling in (Greg Brown) is getting rather annoying with his deliberately over-the-top high pitched squeaky  proclamations.  "And it was CAUGHT by Stephon Diggs for a TOUCHDOWN.

He sounds like he is deliberately mimicking real announcers as he plays announcer.

Time for Pegula to pony up some coin for a real, permanent, play by play guy with some talent.

It's time to bring Greg Papa back home.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Good career... I can relate to his decision, it's tough. You always question why the voice of all things were harmed. Grateful that was on the only major problem, it could have been worse. It is really hard, even after so many years of therapy, you'll never recover the brain connection. You'll talk like a carnival barker everyday for the first 45 minutes but then everything eventually breaks down and it can't be fixed. You literally are sucking for air as you have to learn to use your stomach muscles to force air to speak. To do that for 4 hours on Sunday is unsustainable. It's like running a marathon at a sprint. Hope he enjoys the retirement, and that he knows I understand... 

Edited by Huh? What?
new wording

Murph did well growing in his role as play by play announcer. He had a good radio voice. It seems like “radio voices” aren’t a thing these days. I hope we get a good play by play announcer who fits that bill. 

Posted (edited)

Brown is going nowhere. Odds of upgrading from him are about the same as the Sabres PbP guy Dan Dunleavy(who is also terrible) being replaced….0.0%.  

A big reason why Brown stays…who even listens to the radio call now that games are no longer blacked out?

Edited by LabattBlue

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

How do people listen to football on the radio?  If I can't watch it, I ain't listening to it.

I’ll listen to a Bills football game even in Spanish a language that I don’t understand 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

At one time that was sometimes your only option and if you ever had to do it, the person calling it is super critical to paint the picture.....it can be enjoyable on some level.  But given the choice, everyone picks TV for obvious reasons and today you can always have that choice.

Yeah, obviously TV is better than radio for experiencing a football game, but football (and baseball) has enough down time that a good announcer can paint a picture for you.  When I was a kid, my family's friend group would rotate who hosted for the Bills game every week, and we usually ran late.  I listened to Van Miller calling a lot of first quarters, and it was great!

Murphy (understandably) never got to Van Miller's level, but he did a real solid job.  Very good radio voice and cadence, which is probably the #1 thing.  Best wishes to Murphy and his family.

I've yet to hear any of Chris Brown's play-by-play, but I can't imagine it's any good.  As others have pointed out on this thread, he doesn't have the voice for it.  My vote goes to an outside hire for this one.

I enjoyed his voice and his cadence while making calls.

I listened to the Bills on the radio a lot from about 2006-2009, and enjoyed the combo of Murphy and Kelso (makes me nostalgic thinking about it).

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Steve O said:

Too much of a time delay on TV. Already know how the play ended several seconds before you see it.

You need to be watching over an antenna and not streaming and you wouldn't have that issue.  Also any broadcast over antenna is the least compressed meaning higher quality.  The best picture quality you can possibly get is by using a free antenna or a satellite subscriber like direcTV

Edited by TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th
  • Haha (+1) 2