John Murphy officially stepping down as Bills' play by play announcer

Per Bills Twitter. 

Sounds like he's still recovering from the stroke 

Wishing him the best. He had a bit of that old school football cadence that is in short supply these days. 

Really hoping the Bills upgrade from Chris Brown. That guy is awful. His ceiling should have been local high school football but he looks like he's not allowed within 500 yards of a school anyway.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I liked Murphy. He had a tough lead to follow after we were spoiled with Van Miller for so long. While not perfect, he made the position his own and carved a place for himself in Buffalo Bills history. Congratulations to him on a great career.

That said, agree they need an overhaul on the position moving forward. Chris Brown is a good team cheerleader....uh...reporter...but his announcing is just not great. Only thing I'm afraid of is if they moved on from him Sal C gets the job. 

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Congrats on a great career Murph.

May as well stick with Brown.  If they hire someone else people on the internet will find something to dislike about him too.

Or suggest he's a danger to children just because of his appearance. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

John is a good guy, I hope he continues to recover. Might be a WOF candidate. 

I don’t think I can take another season of Chris Brown screaming “RIDE EM COWBOY” whenever Ed Oliver does anything so I hope they bring in some competition. 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Per Bills Twitter. 

Wishing him the best. He had a bit of that old school football cadence that is in short supply these days. 

Really hoping the Bills upgrade from Chris Brown. That guy is awful. His ceiling should have been local high school football but he looks like he's not allowed within 500 yards of a school anyway.

God Bless you John. Prayers for a complete recovery.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

Please find someone else other than Chris Brown.  He’s as terrible 

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Per Bills Twitter. 

He’ll never recover from that.  He must of had a bad one.  God bless him

51 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

May as well stick with Brown.  If they hire someone else people on the internet will find something to dislike about him too.

Disagree. Go throw a bunch of money at the Minnesota  play by play guy (Paul Allen) and his spotter. Don’t think there would be any objections. 

• Vomit 1

I turned on WGR this morning at the start of my drive into work, and the way they were reminiscing about his best moments… I was thinking the news was a lot worse than this!!!

28 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

How do people listen to football on the radio?  If I can't watch it, I ain't listening to it.

At one time that was sometimes your only option and if you ever had to do it, the person calling it is super critical to paint the picture.....it can be enjoyable on some level.  But given the choice, everyone picks TV for obvious reasons and today you can always have that choice.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

You can watch on TV and listen on the radio at the same time?

Too much of a time delay on TV. Already know how the play ended several seconds before you see it.

34 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

How do people listen to football on the radio?  If I can't watch it, I ain't listening to it.

What's funny is when the announcer says one of the teams is moving from left to right. Strangely it somehow helps me picture the play,

• Like (+1) 1

I like John Murphy.  A fixture on local sports.

Has has a good voice for pbp, but I thought he was terrible at painting the picture of the play.  He would fail to build up the play.  Would often leave out key factors like down/distance, how far a completed pass was, where the ball is, etc.  

The original iteration of his One Bills Live show was excellent.  He provided a lot of great content and he was a really good interviewer.  I do think there is a place for him in Bills' media if he wants and is capable.  

• Like (+1) 1