Would you deal? Treylon Burks for Kaiir Elam

Would you deal?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Elam for Burks straight up?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  Elam could be a CB 1.  

Burks will never be a WR 2 let alone a 1.  

Burks wouldn't have to be a 1 or 2.

Elam won't be a 1 ever.  His own coaching staff will see to that

17 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Having seen Burks play live at a game, no way would I waste any time or resources on him.  Bad hands, poor route runner, and poor quickness was what I saw from him.  I don't understand how he was ever seen as good prospect.

Thats interesting because I remember when he was a prospect, most of his positive attributes were his big hands and good catching skills. His biggest knock was effort and attention on the field. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

In this league and during such a long season CB corps always seem to have injuries. The first outside CB off our bench will almost certainly see meaningful time on the field.

Speaking of meaningful playing time, how would Burks get on the field for any?

Burks played 443 snaps last season. Elam played 155 and only played defensive snaps in 2 games.  I just don’t see any reason to consider Elam when making roster decisions when it’s clear that the team considers him to be such a liability that they would rather give up a second day pick to add an aging veteran to replace Elam than let him play for a meaningful amount of time. 

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

Burks played 443 snaps last season. Elam played 155 and only played defensive snaps in 2 games.  I just don’t see any reason to consider Elam when making roster decisions when it’s clear that the team considers him to be such a liability that they would rather give up a second day pick to add an aging veteran to replace Elam than let him play for a meaningful amount of time. 

You need to take into account his injury and depth. Dane Jackson was a reliable player in front of him.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You need to take into account his injury and depth. Dane Jackson was a reliable player in front of him.

What Buffalo_Stampede said. Especially the injury part. Elam had one bad wheel all of last season. Torn ligament in his foot. Hard to play corner effectively with that type of injury.

I think the fact that the Bills didn't spend a draft pick on a corner (other than the returner they took in round 6) or bring in a viable free agent tells us that they're gonna give Elam one more season to make a go of it. He came on well at the end of his rookie season, then was having a good camp until he tore his ligament. 

From a distance, I can see why someone would already have written Elam off, but I don't believe the Bills have done so.

• Agree 1

We cannot afford to lose a cornerback, let alone one who can still contribute. Burks will be a  cut this year or next, or a trade for a 6th round pick to a team who ISN’T loaded at slot. We need some little guys yo. We are currently the land of the giants. 

No.

I don't think Burks adds a lot to the overhaul dynamic of the wr core.  Seems like another upside wr 4/5/6.  

You can never have enough cb in my book.  I say keep Elam and No to Burks.

If you asked me at then end of last year I might do it but not today.

12 hours ago, Billl said:

They just showed that they’d trade for a player instead of playing an injured Elam.  What difference does it make if his replacement is even worse when they won’t even see the field for a meaningful amount of time?

FIFY

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Billl said:

When Elam has played, it’s been boom or bust .. and in big moments.

He was, allegedly, dealing with an injury last year and (reportedly) had issues with his position coach.  

A microcosm being the Steelers playoff game where he got abused two plays in a row and on the third play got an interception. 

A year prior, in that same WC Round, was probably our best defensive player against Miami. 

Former RD1 pick with elite athletic traits.  

I’m not banking on a healthy season with a new coach catapulting him to his full potential, but I see way more upside with Elam at CB than I do Burks at WR. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

I'm not giving up on Elam yet. He has had game changing interceptions in three games despite very limited playing time - one against the Chiefs in the regular season, and two in the playoffs against the Steelers and Dolphins. So he arguably has more game changing plays in the playoffs than any other defensive player on the roster, which is kind of sad, but in any case I don't want to give up on that kind of talent. I suspect with John Butler moving on and no major CB investments that the coaching staff is planning to give him a real shot at winning a starting job. At worst he is likely to be our #3 IMO.

• Agree 1

Elam gets another year with a new DB coach to show me what he can do.  We have team control on his deal, and if he develops it's a big plus.  I'm not convinced that Burks is a better option that Claypool right now.  He is 24 and has shown very little.  Elam has been boom bust, but at least you can say he has made plays at times.  You need to see if he can harness that potential and make him more consistent.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I see a difference between fielding a player at outside CB3 who has talent as well as significant flaws versus players who would be lucky to be on most NFL rosters. That’s how I see it. I think we agree that the Bills should have done more to bring in CB help, but until they do Elam is our best option at outside CB3

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I see a difference between fielding a player at outside CB3 who has talent as well as significant flaws versus players who would be lucky to be on most NFL rosters. That’s how I see it. I think we agree that the Bills should have done more to bring in CB help, but until they do Elam is our best option at outside CB3

IMO, Beane has to be looking around to sign another CB after June 1st.  Elam stays even if that happens.