Would you deal? Treylon Burks for Kaiir Elam

Would you deal?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Elam for Burks straight up?

• Yes
    • No

Posted (edited)

I am not ready to give up on Elam just yet.  Most of us saw Bernard, Dodson and Espeneza as expendable around this time last year. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for things to click.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

I think it is a fair idea. Not an Elam guy, but really not a Burks guy so I would definitely hold on to Elam at this point. I am not sure Burks adds anything to the room. He is a bigger slower guy who lacks explosion but is very smooth in his route running and things of that nature. He catches the football. But least with Coleman and even Claypool you have elite athleticism with the size. Burks is so meh to me and I didn’t really like him at draft time but if our regime is intent on adding another giant to the room I would not be against it. 

I will continue to drive the Terrace Marshall Jr train right off a cliff if need be. I think he could be had for very little. Maybe a late pick swap.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
so hard not to write terrance

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Billl said:

They just showed that they’d trade for a player instead of playing Elam.  What difference does it make if his replacement is even worse when they won’t even see the field for a meaningful amount of time?

In this league and during such a long season CB corps always seem to have injuries. The first outside CB off our bench will almost certainly see meaningful time on the field.

Speaking of meaningful playing time, how would Burks get on the field for any?

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I will continue to drive the Terrance Marshall Jr train right off a cliff if need be. I think he could be had for very little. Maybe a late pick swap

First name is actually Terrace and I can't see McDermott agreeing to deal for a guy with a 6% fumble rate over last 2 years.  Also not on STs so not an ideal depth WR.  

Absolutely not. For a few reasons.

First off, Burks doesn't bring anything to the room that we don't now have with Keon Coleman. And from what I've seen so far from Burks at the NFL level, Coleman has the higher ceiling. 

Second, I'm not really sure about Elam yet. It's been 2 seasons since he was drafted. We knew going into his career (or at least common sense should have weighed in) that he may take time to adjust to the Bills system. We drafted Benford the same year who was plug and play ready as he was experienced playing these coverages. His first season gets a pass IMO for the adjustment. Into his first full off-season, from camp reports Elam was said to be looking really good. He was running with the first team a large part of training camp. Then PS game 3 Benford moved past him and many were surprised. Turns out the guy injured his ankle and was playing through it. Sucks, but it happens. After coming off IR he looked decent. He looked like what he is IMO, a kid with tons of talent that needs more game reps.

Third, and this is of course just my opinion...but long term CB is a lot more of a need that WR. Over the next 2 years we have Coleman, Shakir and Samuel locked in. Absolute BEST case scenario...Burks is WR4/5. And he doesn't offer anything on STs. Would be hard for him to even see a jersey on game day IMO barring injury.

Even if none of the other dart throws (Claypool, Shorter, Shavers ect) work out there are good WRs available every off-season. More and more the top of the draft has pro ready WRs. 

CB is usually a bit thinner in FA and the draft. And while our 2 outside CBs seem set for this year, Douglas is getting older. Benford gets banged up a bit. Who do we really have behind them...not only this year but also going into next? Sure seems like it would be great if Elam progressed.  I'm betting on him locking down CB3 and getting enough snaps due to injury to show what he can (or cannot) do.

I want to see how he looks now with Babich running the defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

First name is actually Terrace and I can't see McDermott agreeing to deal for a guy with a 6% fumble rate over last 2 years.  Also not on STs so not an ideal depth WR.  

Oh boy it's tough to leave that "n" out! Anyway, I am not sure what the fumble rate really means because he doesn't play. So it may be skewed by lack of opportunities. I just think it's an very young, very athletic guy with size who has a pretty extensive history with our OC buried on a depth chart.  

• Like (+1) 1

No. Elam at least showed some flashes as a rookie. Burks has shown nothing. He's also missed 6 games each season the last two. With our depth at CB, you keep Elam. 

Posted (edited)

Elam’s value is so low right now. What’s the point in getting a 6th or 7th pick or some player? He’s still on a rookie deal.

Best move is to let him heal and get one more year to prove he’s an NFL player. 

Edited by ToGoGo
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

There is a money back guarantee, but it’s limited to what you invested to be here. 

Don’t get cute, we check receipts.  😋

I’m sure somebody checked with Elam before giving #24 to Bishop, right? 

Maybe we will have another Kurt Schultz , but quicker , roaming back there.   I think that was Kurt’s number, but it’s been a while and I’m much older.  Heck i would rather trade claypool for Burks now , certainly not Elam.    I just don’t think people are capable of suddenly not being narcissists ( if it quacks, its probably a duck; where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire; if you hear hoofbeats and turn around, it’s usually a horse and not a zebra; you get the idea) after demonstrating in several situations that is  his character even when he did have some success. 

I know its probably low risk, i doubt he makes the final roster , but beane just dropped 31 mil to rid the team of a guy who essentially got dumped from 2 franchises now after very good , consistent production. So why even flirt with a guy who pissed away multiple chances because no matter what he does in preseason , how could you ever really trust him in the regular season ? This type of decision making is another example of beane’s flawed roster building that has kept the current era at reaching only 1 AFC Championship.   Some of his moves just lack common sense. Hey, POLIAN drafted at the bottom of the 1st rd. For several years , but they went to 4 straight SB’s before they had to turn over the roster.  Why should BILLS faithful be so much more patient now; Allen is more talented than JIMBO ever was, yet the beane rosters so far wont be sending multiple guys to the HOF like polian managed.  

Beane is a class act , love the guy as a great rep of the BILLS.   But this claypool thing , taking another international project that is unlikely to ever make the o-line, having mahomes ,worthy, and the punt god ( all the talking heads bring this stuff up immediately, so its not just me being histrionic) all being KC gifts tied to buffalo ,  become more unforgivable or questionable of his competency the longer this team can’t even get to a SB while having a talented franchise qb.  Allen is his saving grace, but thinking he can help Allen win with support like claypool almost negates the Allen pick.   So , yep , i would rather take a shot on burks than letting claypool waste reps, and i hope Elam might finally flip the switch.  Still, always hoping for the best, but this looks like a 9-10 win season type of thing at best as i think the fins & jests both will be improved and the schedule looks pretty unforgiving.  

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it is a fair idea. Not an Elam guy, but really not a Burks guy so I would definitely hold on to Elam at this point. I am not sure Burks adds anything to the room. He is a bigger slower guy who lacks explosion but is very smooth in his route running and things of that nature. He catches the football. But least with Coleman and even Claypool you have elite athleticism with the size. Burks is so meh to me and I didn’t really like him at draft time but if our regime is intent on adding another giant to the room I would not be against it. 

I will continue to drive the Terrace Marshall Jr train right off a cliff if need be. I think he could be had for very little. Maybe a late pick swap.

If Brady thought much of Marshall he’d be a Bill by now.

• Agree 1

This prompted me to look at out CB room, and I didn't realize just how thin that position is. After Douglas, Benford and Taron Johnson, it is JAG/replacement level.  We really need Elam to step it up this year. 

Honestly no, Elam has showed flashes of play making ability and is only 23. Douglas is likely done after this season, we should see what we have in Elam.

Elam is also 1 injury away from starting, another WR is not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1