Micah Hyde and safety depth discussion

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hello!

Apologies if this has been discussed (I didn't see it over a few pages).

I'm looking at Hyde sitting there waiting while is market value decreases....  Right now we are arguably projected to start Rapp/Bishop at safety.  If Hyde can come back on a 1 year contract for a playoff push and at an affordable price, is this something YOU would endorse?  And are there any rumors out there with Hyde that I'm unaware of?

I love the Bishop pick, but he's still a rookie.  I'd rather have Hyde in there while Bishop develops in sub packages (Nickel/Dime, scenarios/matchups) if affordable.  

Thoughts?

I think due to salary cap and aging players rebuilding our roaster with younger cheaper players and adding solid depth is the plan for this season , we are still a playoff team and will always be as long as Josh Allen is our QB and once you in the playoffs anything is possible 

3 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Justin Simmons and Eddie Jackson are still available and at this point in free agency, they might be willing to sign 1-year incentive filled contracts after June 1st.

Agree. Simmons would be the guy to go after. Hyde is a great story and had a great career here. I'd say no at this point.

But my guess is he will be added to the PS after week 1. That way no guaranteed contract and he can skip training camp.  He will be the break the glass emergency safety if anyone gets hurt.

A long time ago, I owned a Mustang. I loved that car. It looked sharp and was a manual shift. It lasted many years past when I should have let it go. When I finally junked it, my mechanic commented that it was well past time. I still remember that '74 Mustang fondly.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hello!

I'm looking at Hyde sitting there waiting while is market value decreases....  Right now we are arguably projected to start Rapp/Bishop at safety.  If Hyde can come back on a 1 year contract for a playoff push and at an affordable price, is this something YOU would endorse?  And are there any rumors out there with Hyde that I'm unaware of?

I love the Bishop pick, but he's still a rookie.  I'd rather have Hyde in there while Bishop develops in sub packages (Nickel/Dime, scenarios/matchups) if affordable.  

Thoughts?

Between Hyde and Poyer, Hyde fell off far worse, IMO. He should really just retire given his injury and age. I'm not sure what value he brings to an NFL team at this point.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Justin Simmons and Eddie Jackson are still available and at this point in free agency, they might be willing to sign 1-year incentive filled contracts after June 1st.

After signing Mike Edwards, re-signing Taylor Rapp and Cam Lewis, and spending a 2nd Round Pick on Cole Bishop - I see no way we're going to go out and sign Justin Simmons too. Someone's going to pay him. I think he's still floating around because his number's way too high. And because his number was way too high, we opted to go with Edwards and Draft Bishop high instead. When push comes to shove, it will come down a bit and one of the teams he's surely been talking to will jump on him. But I don't see that team being us and unquestionably moving one of Bishop, Edwards, or Rapp to 4th Safety and Lewis to 5th Safety.

If we do anything at Safety, it would be bringing back Hyde. Mainly because of his contributions to the team, a loyalty to him, and to have him in the room to groom Bishop. I could foresee a scenario where he just wants to take it easy, signs halfway through Training Camp for a couple mil, and acts more as rotation and depth. Or just hangs around and comes off the couch to help us out if someone gets hurt midseason.

I think in Bishop, Edwards, and Rapp - they've moved on from Hyde as an every down contributor. They're open to Hyde coming back as more of a situational, on field coach, depth, and role player. But I think Hyde is debating not just "do I still want to play?" but "do I want to take a more reserve role?". I think he knows he's done as an every down player, but is debating if he can still go in that role - and if he wants to. I think he was ready to retire and then we approached him with "would you consider a reduced role that would see you help the next generation along?" and it made him pause and re-think putting out the retirement tweet right away.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Dude is injury prone and looked completely washed last year.  If you want to challenge Mahomes, sign a veteran CB for depth and sign/start Simmons opposite Bishop.  

Not sure if you consider injury prone as the same injury coming back but I guess you could.

8 hours ago, Yantha said:

Hello!

Thoughts?

yes, I agree,

I was hoping the Bills would bring him back. He can still play, if not full time, and would be a great leader of this just-coming-together- secondary.

7 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Neck injury 2 years straight and age 34 tells me Hyde may retire.  

I worry about his long term health.  He's made $53 Million playing football. 

I would love to see him on the field but I also believe the Bills were blessed to have him for the last seven years, he has given the Bills everything he has and its time to hang it up and enjoy life after football.  He has a career as a game or studio analyst just waiting for him I bet...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

I worry about his long term health.  He's made $53 Million playing football. 

I would love to see him on the field but I also believe the Bills were blessed to have him for the last seven years, he has given the Bills everything he has and its time to hang it up and enjoy life after football.  He has a career as a game or studio analyst just waiting for him I bet...

Likewise as he is married with a young family.  Not sure he does broadcast now as kids are little.  

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have sort of all along expected to see Hyde come back. Maybe he’s decided wether he really wants to play or not

But didn’t his wife post a ‘goodbye Buffalo’ tweet after the season?

• Like (+1) 1

Although I think the Bills would be better with Hyde back for another year, I hope he retires.  He's had serious neck injuries and he needs to get out and enjoy the rest of his life with his family.  With our thanks and highest regards for years of terrific play.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

But didn’t his wife post a ‘goodbye Buffalo’ tweet after the season?

Based on the lengthy, emotional farewell to Buffalo letter that his wife wrote a few months ago, it seems unlikely to me that Hyde is coming back.

If something has changed, I'm OK with him coming back on a 1-year, team-friendly deal, and as long as the Bills are not looking at him penned in as a starter.  If Hyde was a backup, and there was an injury, who would you rather have come into the game - Hyde or Hamlin? Hyde or Cam Lewis?  I like Hyde as a backup, spot-starter, and mentor to the younger guys (Bishop in particular), but not as a full-time starter.

I don't expect Hyde to sign with another team.

He may be healthy enough (medically cleared) to play.

I get the feeling if Micah has hung them up, he will be in and out of camp this year with the Bills as a "guest".

IF it looks like the Bills could use him, he may consider signing for whatever role they would want him to play.

An old Micah Hyde IMO is better than a depth player like Hamlin or Williamson.

Hell, I'd consider signing Micah with 500K guaranteed to come to camp just to bring along Bishop and give Mike Edwards the low down

of what Bills Safeties need to do.