Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

Maybe all he needs is a change of atmosphere and a change of culture.........what the hell do i know?

This will be his third change of culture and atmosphere in as many years.  I am starting to think culture and atmosphere are not the problem.  4th times a charm.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't really matter who we ever bring onto this team..........the fans are going to hate every signing, every prospect, everything........no player is ever good enough for you guys.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Jauronimo said:

This will be his third change of culture and atmosphere in as many years.  I am starting to think culture and atmosphere are not the problem.  4th times a charm.

McD is going to beat the "Christian" into him and he'll come along........you'll see.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

This is actually a really good move, low risk has to be cheap as hell at this point, but clearly has a hell of a lot of talent. This team has the exact kind of culture built around it that if he really is ready to make a change it's a great place to do it.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have money freeing up on 6/1, which I figured would be used on either WR or DE … Bringing in Claypool and Smoot is interesting as to whether it has any bearing on my assumption for either position. 

After draft and UDFAs they still are a few shy of 90.  These are guys who could make the roster but are vet min guys.  Im not sure Beane does anything of note at wr in June.  Maybe end of camp if they do not see growth from Coleman or Shakir.  

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hope that's not the case. Claypool has been a problem pretty much everywhere. Well, maybe not Miami, but only because he was a non-entity there. 

I don't think you bring in Hamler and Claypool if the plan is to say trade for DK Metcalf after June 1. Those aren't just camp bodies IMO, they're bets on upside. Not that I agree with the strategy but that's my guess.

• Agree 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Disagree - I think Smoot and Jones (Klein playing in playoffs last year) have a really good chance. Claypool would be a pure X receiver (something we don't have) if he comes in and isn't an assclown.

Klein played because 3 guys were out.  There is no Klein replacement.  I don’t think jones will beat out morrow or 

milano

bernard

dorian

spector

Morrow

Eddy

Jones

thats how I see things anyway.  Jones might be a PS guy

smoot was pretty bad last season- if he can return to form, I suppose he can compete with for DT4-5

claypool-  gamble on trait.  I get it

Edited by NewEra

Posted (edited)

Interesting guys. Claypool...I didn't realize he was so young. Maybe there is something there. This is probably his last shot. He ran a awful, lazy, route to end that Dolphins game. That's my last memory, but he's the same age as some of the guys drafted this year. So who knows?  

Smoot essentially replaces Shaq Lawson. He's been a good rotational player and is supposed to be a real good dude. Jones is linebacker depth. He used to be very good. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My thoughts are this. Very talented kid loved him coming out of ND when nobody was really talking about him.

Issues with him has been work ethic, sulking when he doesn’t get his way. 

Clearly the Bills have a type they want as an X WR. This guy is not a burner but similar to Coleman in many aspects. 

He was free so why not ? 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Chase Claypool.  lol.  What a waste of a physical being. I don’t hate that we brought him in based on traits, but I don’t think he or any of these 3 makes the team.  Experienced vets that can push the kids… except Claypool.  He brings nothing to the table. 

At 240 lbs, he’s probably eating everything on the table.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Is adding like 47 bottom-of-the-barrel WRs in free agency the same as adding one or two good ones?

Asking for a friend...

Tell your friend that good ones are not available, and definitely not for vet min. :)