Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were supposed to be getting Sherfield and Harty's best years too.   It was just a given to people like @Orlando Buffalo.   I mean........they had never had a QB like Josh Allen.   Right?

Fair point, but neither has the physical attributes of Claypool .. not even close. 

And we’ve seen Claypool do it.  No clue what happened to him, but it’s in there somewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Same could be said for John Brown and Cole Beasley.  

Josh got Gabe Davis 13M a year.  Obviously a gross overpay.  he made Robert Foster look like an NfL WR.  He’s made chicken salad out of chicken **** before.  He’ll do it again.  Not sure who, but if we’re going to take this route (no big name WRs) i’m glad we’re rolling the low risk dice on physically talents guys.  

No, Brown and Beasley were established AND currently successful players that were coming off solid seasons.

Samuel qualifies as someone who has been consistently solid and should be good.

But Mack Hollins had one good outlier season in an otherwise long career as a scrub WR......just like Sherfield and Harty.

Claypool fell off a cliff 2 years ago and hasn't been seen since.   Much like Sherfield his season ended on a terrible route ran against the Bills that resulted in the Taylor Rapp INT that sealed the Bills win of the AFC East.

MVS is inexplicably coming off BY FAR his worst season as a pro and at age 30 most likely washed up and in the freezer.

I don't mind rolling the dice to fill out WR6 or WR7 but this would be a shabby f#cking unit to take to camp if you consider yourself a SB contender.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I personally love the moves made at WR and skill positions,  can beat teams in many different ways

There's a reason they took a 2 for Diggs. 

Think they'll go alot of 2 TE  , now that they have a run game and have a variety of different WRS and a stud TE Kincaid and a really good one in Knox

57 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm as interested in the fact that Josh Allen has never really had a WR quite like Claypool.

The suddenness and catch radius could be a boon to Allen; if they were to get on the same page, that could get real interesting, real quick.

He had a WR exactly like Claypool.  His name was Kelvin Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fair point, but neither has the physical attributes of Claypool .. not even close. 

And we’ve seen Claypool do it.  No clue what happened to him, but it’s in there somewhere. 

Nah, c'mon.   You gotta' know that it's probably not in there.  

If they don't have the want-to and have to earn playing time........the NFL game passes a player by thisquick.   

We see it all the time.......these types of "I was lazy but now I try hard" stories almost exclusively end in failure.   Often despite great promise without pads and contact.

You gotta' be determined to sustain success in the NFL.   If not, the guys who do take it seriously will embarrass you the way they have been embarrassing him the past 2 seasons.

The guy took 2 years off when he should have been setting himself up with a $100M payday this offseason. 

He blew it.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were supposed to be getting Sherfield and Harty's best years too.   It was just a given to people like @Orlando Buffalo.   I mean........they had never had a QB like Josh Allen.   Right?

I just looked at my history and my only comment on Sheffield was referencing what my student told me, which is he works best against a zone. In regards to Harty I only mentioned him a few times about individual plays, so would you like to tell me what you are referring to? 

I appreciate Claypool taking the interview and giving us his thoughts.  I didn't love a lot of his answers as to what has gone wrong in his career.  Its like he tried to say what he was supposed to say and mostly stayed on script but couldn't quite execute.  Totally nitpicking here but in my anecdotal experience, people who are still a few hard bounces away from seeing the light are compelled to defend themselves and never quite arrive at the hard truths.    

He still couldn't help himself from insinuating that his past two teams weren't the right fit and that the Phins and Bears didn't know how to use him.  Didn't talk about putting in the work to run a full route tree, issues of maturity, discipline on the field, dedicating himself to his craft or any of the main reasons why he is quite likely looking at his last chance to salvage an NFL career.  That dude wore out his welcome with a guy who dealt with Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, and Roethlisberger at the height of their combined egomaniacal, non-consensual, stupidity.  And he managed to do it in 2 short years.

If he can't crack top 6 in this WR room then I don't think he gets another opportunity.  He didn't sound to me like a guy who is living with that reality but 8 minutes with media in OTAs is far less important than the conversation he had with Beane and McDermott.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm convinced not one person on this board ever watched Kelvin Benjamin play.

What’s even worse is real professional sports talk people saying Allen doesn’t do well with big WRs because we saw him with Benjamin. 

I don’t understand how people get paid to say something like that. 

4 hours ago, Billl said:

He had a WR exactly like Claypool.  His name was Kelvin Benjamin.

Come on now. Duke Williams was closer to Benjamin than Claypool. Neither are in the same ball park athletically to Claypool.  

• Agree 2

People should not get their hopes up about Claypool. He was lucky an NFL team even signed him. 

I was recently watching the 59 Minutes of Josh Allen Highlights video NFL's YouTube posted, and I was reminded of how much it helped Josh having speedy guys to run deep. 

He's not a guy that throws people open very often, but you did see him throw deep a ton if he saw the deep guy get a step or 2 on their man. Hoping Samuel can pick up the slack a bit on that end.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

People should not get their hopes up about Claypool. He was lucky an NFL team even signed him. 

I was recently watching the 59 Minutes of Josh Allen Highlights video NFL's YouTube posted, and I was reminded of how much it helped Josh having speedy guys to run deep. 

He's not a guy that throws people open very often, but you did see him throw deep a ton if he saw the deep guy get a step or 2 on their man. Hoping Samuel can pick up the slack a bit on that end.

We saw a ton of 50/50 balls fall incomplete or get intercepted also. 

I don’t think anyone is expecting much from Claypool. 

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wow - there he is CATCHING A FOOTBALL!

He hasn't actually caught it quite yet.

Sort of a metaphor for his current situation. :D

• Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm telling y'all, there is something very intriguing coming along here......

To me it’s obvious that Sean and or Beane had a heart to heart discussion with Claypool as to the way things are going to be before the signing, and that Claypool was on board with the Bills program as it were, fingers crossed 🤞 that what could happen, happens, 

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Edited by Don Otreply

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Physically Claypool has always been a beast.   Mentally he's been feeble/delusional.   I'm expecting the latter to ultimately be who he is with the Bills.   Just like I expected the version of Trent Sherfield who dropped a would-be TD pass and took a punt off his butt in his games against Buffalo in 2022 and not the Sherfield whose WR coach in SF "reportedly" told him that he should be starting over Brandon Aiyuk. :lol:

I could see Claypool slotted in behind DK Metcalf on the depth chart.  Similar builds and talent practicing for a similar role on the team.  Seeing someone like Metcalf might help Claypool somewhat turn it around.

• Like (+1) 1