Beane: "This team is in transition"

This regime has the 2nd most wins in the past 4 years.  That is quite an accomplishment regardless of much deserved criticism on certain issues like the lack of urgency on the WR situation.  No matter how you want to pick them apart, if you deny how well they have done except for beating the best team in the league like every other team, then you are not being serious. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

As to the bolded, I would ask you, what is Beane's vision of the offense?  Does anyone truly know?  We do know that what he's said was different last year than it was this year.  

I don't think his vision has been coherent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

This is where the “establish an offensive HC” argument has merit imo. 

by the same token, BB established his defensive philosophy for 20+ years and almost always had them humming in points allowed and turnovers. And defenses are harder to keep them together.

I do think McD’s inability or lack of desire to have much input on the offensive side works against us a bit.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It hasn't been.  Is it even definable, identifiable.  Which is a problem IMO.  It changes from season to season, almost as driven by what the narratives are or will be and to please the media & fans.  

3 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

Drafting guys without character, leadership and heart is great and all, but if they aren’t good enough they will simply be guys without heart, character and leadership on the street and not on the Bills.

Or they are more talented and make the team? 

That’s my point. We’ve drafted so many choir boys and passed up on better talent because of it 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Anyway, I think you might want to rethink your valuation of safeties. They are not the defensive equivalent of RBs (LBs are); they’re more the equivalent, value-wise, of tight ends because like TEs, they have be effective in both the run and pass games.

They're just easy to find. Look at the free agent market this year. It was littered with solid safeties. Justin Simmons is still available. In McDermott's system he hasn't needed safeties with excellent athletic traits. Hyde and Poyer were 5th and 7th rounders respectively and were great in our system primarily because of their football intelligence.

And in this draft in particular, picking a safety early was not where the value was. After we picked Bishop 10 of the next 20 picks were OL. That's where the league told us the value was at that spot in the draft, which was a common thought amongst draftniks before the draft too. We waited until the 5th round to dip into a particularly deep OL class, instead choosing to take positions that were considered weak in the draft in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounds. It was bad value management by Beane IMO.

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

Yikes.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The last three years though the roster has been deep. It has lacked top end talent compared to the other top half dozen teams we have been competing with but it has been deep. It is why despite two years of pretty rotten injury luck they've still won a ton of games. The moves they had to make this offseason mean they are as shallow as they have been since 2018 and still lack that top end talent. I do think they have some good young players, I think they hit on some guys in the last two drafts.... Cook, Bernard, Benford, Kincaid, Torrence and Shakir but they are all (as we were discussing earlier) in the category of "good" at this point and they need to hope 1 or 2 of that group step up to be true difference makers. But they are going to be young, shallow and lacking in difference makers in 2024 unless someone has a significant breakout. They will just be hoping that by the end of next season we are adding Coleman, Bishop and Van-Pran to that list of good young players.

I think they will see success in 2024 as the development of all those guys and making the post season. They do not think 2024 is a Superbowl contending season. That said, Kansas City didn't expect 2022 to be a Superbowl contending season in the building - they were re-setting some things and then they got hot at the right time and went all the way. When you have a top flight QB you always have a chance but I think we'd need Josh to have the best season of his career to have a shot.

It tells me the regime is pretty safe with Terry. Because this is clearly a two year re-load plan IMO to have 2025 be the year that the second Josh Allen window opens. 

Unless a trade is made for a #1 receiver (Aiyuk) I would agree that 2024 is being written off as developmental and 2025 is being targeted as the year to compete.
I've been thinking about how KC was able to find a way to compete while even in transition. Kudos to Reid and the DC. That's what great teams/administrations can do. I very much doubt that KC were sitting on their hands. Not in their DNA. I think you get a different mindset from the Bills brass than you get in KC or in Philly. We will see how that works out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"I had 10 picks---how was I supposed to focus on WR??"

Been an issue for 2 years now and we have a deep WR draft with lots of picks and he rolls the dice on a WR once. Brutal

Putting a lot of faith in Shakir to take a step forward. He done that with McKenzie and Gabe Davis (twice).  Let’s cross our fingers this one works. I like the Samuel pickup but still worry it doesn’t workout. Then you have rookie (just one of them) you’re also putting a lot of faith in.  Not sure what to expect at this point, glad we got Kincaid though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They're just easy to find. Look at the free agent market this year. It was littered with solid safeties. Justin Simmons is still available. In McDermott's system he hasn't needed safeties with excellent athletic traits. Hyde and Poyer were 5th and 7th rounders respectively and were great in our system primarily because of their football intelligence.

And in this draft in particular, picking a safety early was not where the value was. After we picked Bishop 10 of the next 20 picks were OL. That's where the league told us the value was at that spot in the draft, which was a common thought amongst draftniks before the draft too. We waited until the 5th round to dip into a particularly deep OL class, instead choosing to take positions that were considered weak in the draft in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounds. It was bad value management by Beane IMO.

There are a LOT of bad safeties and bad team safety situations in the NFL. The Eagles are another one. They were so desperate at the position that they traded for kevin byard mid-season (early 5th, early 6th, and terrell edmunds), although that was a failure and he’s no longer on the team. Let’s wait and see. Maybe the Bills thought their o-line room was pretty set.

Do you think Kyle Dugger was a bad value pick? He was 37th overall.

Well it seems that while all of us board experts wanted the Bills to draft a great WR and a safety,

Beane wanted to restock the team with a large number of quality, football players.

Who'd a thunk it.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:15 PM, MikePJ76 said:

I think you are a little off here.  The transition he is talking about is in the form of locker room leaders and who is going to step up into those roles.

I do not believe they have nor should any of us lower the expectations.

There will definitely be a learning curve with so many new younger players and veteran players but I see Zero reason to lower expectations.  I think you can make a case they improved their ability to be a more physical team this weekend.  

I get they didn't take a bunch of wr's but the fact that is now going to turn into 4 months of woe is me and they don't know they are doing is frustrating.  

For the record I think the defensive line is a weak spot on this team.  Its just not good enough.  I hope they add a proven veteran someway to the team.

Shhhhhh. People have a fascination with the word "rebuild". Let them have their moment

On 4/27/2024 at 8:04 PM, FireChans said:

I’m approaching the opinion that the best thing for Josh Allen’s career is to tweak an ankle, miss the season and let Beane and McD get exposed and fired when they win 2 games and reset with a high draft pick and new organization. 

This is the most hateful post I have ever read on TSW.   It far surpasses all the other venomous and stupid bull manure that you've posted here in the last few days.  Your hatred of Beane and McDermott suggests a level of anger bordering on mental instability.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoTier said:

This is the most hateful post I have ever read on TSW.   It far surpasses all the other venomous and stupid bull manure that you've posted here in the last few days.  Your hatred of Beane and McDermott suggests a level of anger bordering on mental instability.  

I actually think McD is a top 10 coach for what it’s worth. 

I just think Beane (and McD) are far too secure in their jobs. 

They won’t get fired ever because Josh Allen will drag this team to WC weekend regardless of what ST bums they out around him. 

And folks will watch Allen rush for 20 TD’s and end his career prematurely and say Beane is doing great because we have the 4th best record. 

Kind of a crappy situation imo.

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

Well it seems that while all of us board experts wanted the Bills to draft a great WR and a safety,

Beane wanted to restock the team with a large number of quality, football players.

Who'd a thunk it.

Most won't make the roster