Beane: "This team is in transition"

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 4

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

Very good take.  Like it or not I bet the next WR is bigger like Coleman.  We are moving to a version of a bigger, more powerful team that can be explosive if need be, but mainly use up the clock and play good D.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

I think Beane was very careful not to trade picks from next year. It seems like they are planning on next off season being when they go for it and make some bigger moves. 

It's disappointing, but I still think it's a team that can compete for a Superbowl this year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If he knew this, then he failed in the primary task in the rebuild 

• Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Process said:

I think Beane was very careful not to trade picks from next year.

Yeah good point, that speaks to the overall strategy. Everything they've done this offseason has set the roster up more for 2025 than 2024. This year they're going to let young players take their lumps, still try to compete for a championship but they're not all in.

My worry is that this means McDermott and Beane both know their jobs are safe next year no matter what and feel no urgency to show improvement.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah good point, that speaks to the overall strategy. Everything they've done this offseason has set the roster up more for 2025 than 2024. This year they're going to let young players take their lumps, still try to compete for a championship but they're not all in.

My worry is that this means McDermott and Beane both know their jobs are safe next year no matter what and feel no urgency to show improvement.

It’s trending that way as of now, despite what Beane said when Diggs was traded.

I think you are a little off here.  The transition he is talking about is in the form of locker room leaders and who is going to step up into those roles.

I do not believe they have nor should any of us lower the expectations.

There will definitely be a learning curve with so many new younger players and veteran players but I see Zero reason to lower expectations.  I think you can make a case they improved their ability to be a more physical team this weekend.  

I get they didn't take a bunch of wr's but the fact that is now going to turn into 4 months of woe is me and they don't know they are doing is frustrating.  

For the record I think the defensive line is a weak spot on this team.  Its just not good enough.  I hope they add a proven veteran someway to the team.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Process said:

I think Beane was very careful not to trade picks from next year. It seems like they are planning on next off season being when they go for it and make some bigger moves. 

It's disappointing, but I still think it's a team that can compete for a Superbowl this year. 

5th lowest odds according to the sports books. People on here continue to cry. Reality is they are still players for the Super Bowl 

Just now, FireChans said:

Gross. Embarrassing. And done with complete and total job security. 

Any chance of canning Beane/McD and getting fresh life in 2025 died today.

Oh boy 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Anyone who didn't see that this a team in "transition" has been blind.

After the departure of so many veterans (which I'm glad Beane did it all at once) with the exception of Von Miller, there can be no other

opinion about the "changing of the guard".  It doesn't mean that the team is hopeless when it comes to winning the division and attempting

to go farther in the playoffs.

You can define it as "uninspiring", but I see it as "realistic".  The question is how fast it can be done and done right.

I think he has done a pretty good job SO FAR.

I for one believe that along with this change comes much more responsibility for rookies than we have seen in the past.

It was obvious when a ton of 1-year deals for older UFAs were not signed as was done every year prior.

Beane has a lot of fire power for next seasons draft and the cap will be in a much better position.

Meanwhile, the team is not fully put together and I will see what work Beane can get done before September.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

I think you are a little off here.  The transition he is talking about is in the form of locker room leaders and who is going to step up into those roles.

I do not believe they have nor should any of us lower the expectations.

There will definitely be a learning curve with so many new younger players and veteran players but I see Zero reason to lower expectations.  I think you can make a case they improved their ability to be a more physical team this weekend.  

I get they didn't take a bunch of wr's but the fact that is now going to turn into 4 months of woe is me and they don't know they are doing is frustrating.  

For the record I think the defensive line is a weak spot on this team.  Its just not good enough.  I hope they add a proven veteran someway to the team.

Yep there were big shifts in several rooms on the team with Diggs, Hyde and Poyer as well as White to an extent, and Mitch. Some free agents were brought in and some young guys were drafted, it's reasonable to expect it to need to gel some in the season. Still expect them to compete but also are in excellent position to get better next year which is smart. They had to rip the band aide off and get younger in those rooms.

• Like (+1) 2

Drafting guys with character, leadership and heart is great and all but if they aren’t good enough they will simply be guys with heart, character and leadership on the street and not on the Bills. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, zevo said:

5th lowest odds according to the sports books. People on here continue to cry. Reality is they are still players for the Super Bowl 

Oh boy 

The fifth place? Is that triple bronze place? AFC wildcard participant? Hang the banner baby!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The talent level on this team is so far behind the Niners, Eagles, Chiefs, Lions and Ravens

it’s not even close.

Josh Allen is the great equalizer many times. We are still winning the AFC East.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the team will be good but we might/will see some struggles early in the year and see a slow infusion of the new younger players into the system and the team will hit its stride later in the year at the end. I too wanted more wrs, but I have a question, does it seem possible that maybe a trade for Aiyuk or someone similar can occur after June 1 when Tre’s cap relief comes into play? Just curious of that and y’all’s thoughts 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That’s a pretty bold inference based off of a few words. 

They’ve always drafted with a specific character profile in mind and didn’t eschew talent. What about his statement says they did now? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is consistent with what Beane has been saying most offseason.

Due to cap issues, we needed to let go of a core group of leaders/contributors who have been around since we turned things around in 19/20.

We kept the band together LY, now it's time to get our next core group to add onto existing group.

This team isn't going to be SB favorites.  But we have a strong roster still, offense has so many unknowns right now (Brady full offseason to install his system, "group approach" at WR/receiving).  Defense still lacks a true star, but a very solid group of players on all levels.

IMO, and this could be me being overly optimistic, but we went 6-1 down the stretch with Diggs being "average", no Milano/shell of Von, Floyd dropped off, and many injuries on defense.  Poyer/Hyde still have solid instincts but clearly lost a step and ability declined.

We have "hope" around a young core to continuing improve, and this class adding to that.

But we're obviously in a transition year, with roster build.  I wouldn't translate that to "tamper expectations" though.  This is a team that will be division favorites and likely viewed as a top 4 AFC team.

I hate comparing to KC, because they have a vastly different culture/coaches, but they did a mini rebuild and happened to win a SB.  Texans came out of nowhere LY, GB clicked down the stretch and should have been in the Super Bowl.

It's going to always come down to avoiding key injuries and playing our best ball in playoffs (all 3 phases).  Past few years we've hit very tough injuries and haven't pulled it together when it mattered.

Bottom line, there's still enough potential and key players in place to give us a legit SB chance.  So I'm not saying it's a time to "lower expectations" and I'm sure Beane/Coach/team are treating it like that either.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1