Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

6 minutes ago, T master said:

I didn't mind him trading out of the first round with the Chiefs although i hope it don't wind up biting the Bills in the butt . The second trade down with the Panthers i kind of wish Beane wouldn't have done that trade & gotten Leggette but now it's to late for that .

I believe tonight Beane will get either McConkey or Mitchell or both seeing as they got 2 second round picks but i do like that he got a third round pick . 

Unless we trade back again, I think there is very little chance both our picks in round 2 are WRs.  BPA at 33 likely isn’t even a WR between DeJean, JPJ, Newton, and some others still on the board.  Doesn’t mean we won’t take one at 33, I’m just highly doubtful we use both on a WR when they can still get a promising WR in rounds 3 and 4 if they want to double dip.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Which is what Beane said.

Not quite what he said. He said it was the deal that made the most sense for the Bills. I actually took it as "we didn't want to go back that far." And I get that. You don't sabotage your own plan just to stop someone else.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not quite what he said. He said it was the deal that made the most sense for the Bills. I actually took it as "we didn't want to go back that far." And I get that. You don't sabotage your own plan just to stop someone else.

In a follow up question, he said that KC offered the best deal.  

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d like to see the Bills use some of the later picks on vets, to move up or to move into next year’s draft. I don’t want the Bills drafting more than 6 guys. They just don’t have the roster space.

Beane is missing a 5th and 7th rounder in next year's draft.  I'm certain he will look to get them back on Saturday.

It would be great to deal off one of the lower round 5ths to a team not projected to be all that good for their 2025 5th and 7th.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

In a follow up question, he said that KC offered the best deal.  

The best deal might not mean the most compensation, that's my point. I think they had offers for more value but didn't want to move back too far because early 2nd is normally a WR frenzy. 

Dane Brugler's Rounds 2 and 3 mock has us taking:

Ad Mitchell, WR, Texas

Javon Bullard, S, Georgia

Malik Washington, WR, Virginia

I'd live with that for sure.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The best deal might not mean the most compensation, that's my point. I think they had offers for more value but didn't want to move back too far because early 2nd is normally a WR frenzy. 

Well...we'll never know.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

as a mets fan i found it very metsy.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What if one of the other teams calling wanted Worthy? It isn't definitely the case that the only way to keep him from KC was to pick him. And I'm not even that fussed by Worthy particularly. I think he is another WR2 and KC has Rice and Hollywood already that I think fit that criteria (Rice maybe a lower end #1 I suppose, let's see). It isn't about the outcome so much as the process to me. My principle is I'm not doing anything I think might help KC. 

I dunno Gunner.  That seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" philosophy.  It's fan-think vs. professional-think.  JMO.

The fundamental issue here is really player evaluation.  Either the Bills were correct in their player evaluation of Xavier Worthy (in which case who cares that KC drafted him) or, they were fundamentally mistaken (in which case, who cares how KC managed to draft him, just that they did).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The bills get taken advantage of by the smarter organizations, KC already duped them once who doesn't expect them to keep duping them every time?  KC is Buffalo's daddy as the kids say and until it isn't true, it's true.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillsfaninCT said:

The bills get taken advantage of by the smarter organizations, KC already duped them once who doesn't expect them to keep duping them every time?  KC is Buffalo's daddy as the kids say and until it isn't true, it's true.

How did KC take advantage of us yesterday?

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How do you not know Worthy still reaches KC if we don't trade with KC?  Would you rather take some draft capital AWAY from KC and they take Worthy...or let KC get to KEEP that extra draft capital and STILL get Worthy?

The only moronic thing here is that you don't seem to understand this fact that KC was getting Worthy regardless and we instead got their 3rd almost exactly replacing the one we used to trade for Rasul vs them still getting Worthy and keeping their 3rd. 

This fan base can be mind blowing on how they over react and don't see the bigger picture to things.  

What's moronic is failing to see how Beane mismanaging the receiver position put us in this position to begin with.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno Gunner.  That seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" philosophy.  It's fan-think vs. professional-think.  JMO.

The fundamental issue here is really player evaluation.  Either the Bills were correct in their player evaluation of Xavier Worthy (in which case who cares that KC drafted him) or, they were fundamentally mistaken (in which case, who cares how KC managed to draft him, just that they did).

I disagree. I think the Worthy issue is only looking at the outcome. And I'm relatively relaxed about the outcome. It is the principle I question and I don't think that is fanspeak at all. It isn't cut off your nose to spite your face. It is about proper assessment of the risk. Is the risk of helping your biggest single barrier to success become an even bigger barrier to success worth the estimated value of your average 3rd round pick over your average 4th round pick? It being Worthy is kinda by the by to me. When they first traded up I actually thought "this could be a tackle" and I still didn't like it even then. Maybe they'd have got him anyway at #32. Maybe they'd have traded up to 29 or 30 or 31 and got him. Maybe another team would have traded in that kinda space and taken him. There are lots of total unknowns. But that is what you are trying to balance up in the moment. And personally with all that uncertainty I'd be take the more cautious approach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

There’s almost no way that this works out positively. Every TD pass thrown from the NFL’s best QB (who the Bills handed to KC) to the WR that holds the combine 40 record (who the Bills handed to KC) will be an emotional trauma. It will repeatedly churn up that Mahomes trade. 

After a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs I honestly thought that our next best option was a trade back to acquire another meaningful pick in this year’s draft. But that couldn’t be with KC. This is devastating. 

who tf cares about the 40. the last guy to hold the record was awful. So was the guy before him

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

How did KC take advantage of us yesterday?

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.    Veach is over there laughing "you think they're dumb enough to do it again?" maybe mcd owes reid some favors or something i don't know but fool me twice.

Edited by BillsfaninCT

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.  

Do you really mean that? According to your logic, because the chiefs have won championships, every one of their moves must be better than every one of ours.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills didn't grade any of the WRs as 1st round. KC disagreed to the point of trading up to get their guy. I suspect all the QBs going so early made their guy available at 28 and they jumped on it.

The ESPN talking heads were puzzled by the Bills move, particularly with KC being the dance partner and both teams needing WR help. But Beane must think he can get 2 WRs in the 2nd that he likes at least as much as Worthy.  Many were/are calling KC the big winner of that trade, but that ultimately won't be decided for some time.  

I personally didn't like it last night, still not crazy about it.  If it wasn't KC, and if the whole Mahomes thing never happened, I might think differently.  But ultimately Beane could be right. Only time will tell.

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

if championships is the basis of performance, they got the better receiver than we're going to get because so far the bills haven't won ***** and the chiefs have done a lot of winning the QB we gave them........ and so they took our WR also.    Veach is over there laughing "you think they're dumb enough to do it again?" maybe mcd owes reid some favors or something i don't know but fool me twice.

Most KC fans I saw couldn't believe they traded up for a guy they could have easily gotten at 32.

Your response doesn't make much sense, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Most KC fans I saw couldn't believe they traded up for a guy they could have easily gotten at 32.

I presume KC did a risk/reward analysis and thought what they gave up for the trade warranted pulling the trigger. They must not have been as confident Worthy would still be around at 32 as the KC fans you saw.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Gugny for starting this poll as it supports what I have felt many many times in the past (especially after any loss). Which is that the loudest voices on this forum often do not accurately represent the majority view of the fanbase. If you were only to read the posts this morning, you would likely assume the majority of fans were very upset with Brandon for his tactics last night. However the poll clearly show that in reality the opposite is true with >62% approving his decisions.  Obviously, this leaves almost 40% that are unhappy, but it's good to see that the majority of fans can be objective and let this play out before drawing any negative conclusion. 

It's also really hard for me to comprehend how even a diehard fan/draftnik feels that they have enough insight to the players to be able to call Brandon Beane a moron. It seems that those who felt this was an appropriate comment just may have much bigger problems in life than who the Bills should draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Do I like what he did?  No.

Do I understand and respect what he did?  Yes.

Here's the thing.  Would I have done the same thing?  Absolutely not.  The board fell so perfectly for the scenario I was looking for.  While I don't think the opportunity presented itself to get into the top 10 for Odunze, the other options I was hoping for were there.  There were multiple chances to get BTJ.  We could have easily traded up, even just a few spots to get him.  They chose not to do this and I think that tells you all you need to know about how they had him graded.  My ideal option was right there for the taking, even after the first trade down, in Legette.  My idea was to take him, as I see him as a future WR1, and then trade up in the 2nd to get another WR I had graded in the 2nd.  But sure enough, they traded away from him as well.  So, as I said above, that tells you all you need to know about how they had this WR class graded.  They only had 3 first round grades on WRs and everyone else was a 2nd rounder in their book.

So yeah.....if that's the case and they didn't have first round grades on more than 3 WRs, then I understand and respect what he did.  Who knows.....maybe he even has something cooking behind the scenes with a trade for an established WR1.  Who knows.  I just hope whatever he decides to do here that he turns out to be right on all of it.  Because if he's wrong, the backlash he gets will be well deserved.  But we might not know the answer to that for a couple of years.  But the spotlight is now shining on him brightly tonight.  He's committed to a path and he needs to follow through and finish what he started.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane wasn't the GM for the Mahomes trade.

My wish as a Bills fan is that this trade goes well for the Bills and bad for the Chiefs.

A Worthy bust along with Pick #133 coupled with 2 Buffalo Bills stars at #33 and #95 would be awesome!

A football fan's hope springs eternal.  Can't wait for tonight!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrW said:

Do you really mean that? According to your logic, because the chiefs have won championships, every one of their moves must be better than every one of ours.

I believe the metric is superbowls, so in the aggregate yeah, they draft better and outsmart the bills starting with how they got their QB so for what performance metric or accomplishment do the bills have believe they are smarter than KC?  You don't negotiate with an enemy you can't beat.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane wasn't the GM for the Mahomes trade.

My wish as a Bills fan is that this trade goes well for the Bills and bad for the Chiefs.

A Worthy bust along with Pick #133 coupled with 2 Buffalo Bills stars at #33 and #95 would be awesome!

A football fan's hope springs eternal.  Can't wait for tonight!

.....McDermott, who has stressed a "one voice" philosophy within the organization, only fueled speculation about Whaley's future by using the word "I" and not "we" when describing several decisions made Thursday night in the draft."  recapping the 2017 draft of McD

1 minute ago, BillsfaninCT said:

.....McDermott, who has stressed a "one voice" philosophy within the organization, only fueled speculation about Whaley's future by using the word "I" and not "we" when describing several decisions made Thursday night in the draft."  recapping the 2017 draft of McD

All informed Bills fans know this.  My point was Beane was not the GM.

8 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

I believe the metric is superbowls, so in the aggregate yeah, they draft better and outsmart the bills starting with how they got their QB so for what performance metric or accomplishment do the bills have believe they are smarter than KC?  You don't negotiate with an enemy you can't beat.

According to whose rules? In the real world, it happens all the time (USA/Russia, Israel/Hamas,...). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

All informed Bills fans know this.  My point was Beane was not the GM.

informed Bills fans would deduce McD made the call to trade that pick to KC, not Whaley, so pointing out Beane wasn't here (which we already know) suggests Beane being there makes a difference... alas they repeat that mistaking gifting the chiefs the speed they want and we wait to see what we get which so far has never won a superbowl.  My point stands.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, BillsfaninCT said:

informed Bills fans would deduce McD made the call to trade that pick to KC, not Whaley, so pointing out Beane wasn't here (which we already know) suggests Beane being there makes a difference... alas they repeat that mistaking gifting the chiefs the speed they want and we wait to see what we get which so far has never won a superbowl.  My point stands.

So does mine.  I hope the 2 KC picks don't help their team and I hope the 2 Bills picks do.

I'm a fan, not a soothsayer.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Do I like what he did?  No.

Do I understand and respect what he did?  Yes.

Here's the thing.  Would I have done the same thing?  Absolutely not.  The board fell so perfectly for the scenario I was looking for.  While I don't think the opportunity presented itself to get into the top 10 for Odunze, the other options I was hoping for were there.  There were multiple chances to get BTJ.  We could have easily traded up, even just a few spots to get him.  They chose not to do this and I think that tells you all you need to know about how they had him graded.  My ideal option was right there for the taking, even after the first trade down, in Legette.  My idea was to take him, as I see him as a future WR1, and then trade up in the 2nd to get another WR I had graded in the 2nd.  But sure enough, they traded away from him as well.  So, as I said above, that tells you all you need to know about how they had this WR class graded.  They only had 3 first round grades on WRs and everyone else was a 2nd rounder in their book.

So yeah.....if that's the case and they didn't have first round grades on more than 3 WRs, then I understand and respect what he did.  Who knows.....maybe he even has something cooking behind the scenes with a trade for an established WR1.  Who knows.  I just hope whatever he decides to do here that he turns out to be right on all of it.  Because if he's wrong, the backlash he gets will be well deserved.  But we might not know the answer to that for a couple of years.  But the spotlight is now shining on him brightly tonight.  He's committed to a path and he needs to follow through and finish what he started.

Beane said he got no calls for trade up. Not sure what that means. Maybe he means calls back to him ?

And so no trade up was possible. Takes two to tango 

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Beane said he got no calls for trade up. Not sure what that means. Maybe he means calls back to him ?

And so no trade up was possible. Takes two to tango 

I'm of the opinion that the 1st round talent was drying up and none of the teams were willing to go back to Pick #28.

Your "takes two to tango" is lost on a lot of fans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. I think the Worthy issue is only looking at the outcome. And I'm relatively relaxed about the outcome. It is the principle I question and I don't think that is fanspeak at all. It isn't cut off your nose to spite your face. It is about proper assessment of the risk. Is the risk of helping your biggest single barrier to success become an even bigger barrier to success worth the estimated value of your average 3rd round pick over your average 4th round pick? It being Worthy is kinda by the by to me. When they first traded up I actually thought "this could be a tackle" and I still didn't like it even then. Maybe they'd have got him anyway at #32. Maybe they'd have traded up to 29 or 30 or 31 and got him. Maybe another team would have traded in that kinda space and taken him. There are lots of total unknowns. But that is what you are trying to balance up in the moment. And personally with all that uncertainty I'd be take the more cautious approach. 

Well, OK, we just disagree about what is the more "cautious" vs "higher risk" approach.  

Personally, I think Beane is a stone-cold killer when it comes to calculating odds and predicting which way the "frog will jump" in the draft.

So to me it comes down to player personnel evaluation, which is actually not Beane's forte' as a GM.  And either they're right about Worthy, or they're mistaken about Worthy.  If they're wrong, how KC got him is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the boat crossing the North Atlantic.  If they're right, then how KC got him doesn't matter, but that 3rd round pick might be handy.

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm of the opinion that the 1st round talent was drying up and none of the teams were willing to go back to Pick #28.

Your "takes two to tango" is lost on a lot of fans.

Thats okay. Always fun to be armchair GM during the draft regardless 🙂

and yea.

Going up get Odunze was a not worth working. Too much capital for that trade. Even if  a team was willing.  I almost wished it though !

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Any trade with KC is like cheating on your wife. He felt great for a few minutes but next year it's gonna cost you dearly!!

The 10th Commandment in the Bible (Exodus) forbids me to cheat - "Do not ... covet thy neighbors wife". Can you please point me to the verse(s) where the Bills and Chiefs are discussed?

• Haha (+1) 1

I hope that this trade does not bite us in the arse like the Mahomes trade did.

I am not so sure.

Up until last night, I had a lot of confidence in Brandon Beane (not so much McD).

I will reserve final judgment until after tonight.

So far, it does not look good and I did not agree with his explanation. I think that they realized that the trade was not particularly well received by anyone (other than the Chiefs) and is one of the reasons why it took forever to have the press conference.

Also, I seem to recall that in the past Beane said that GMs make an attempt to find out what the other team is going to do or at least make sure that they are not going to pick the guy we want. He seemed to go in a different direction last night on this subject. 

If Beane trades down again and gets a another 5th round pick will FIVE 5th RD picks 

i can’t remember anyone having that many picks that has to be a record Beane is a genius