Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

that report has minimal overlap 

The part about speed and separation is very similar 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No idea and google isn’t helping my search

Amon Ra St Brown. The highest paid WR in NFL history.

Speed isn't the end all be all for WRs.

10 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Eric Moulds 

Amon Ra St Brown

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 40 time

Here are what scouts, coaches and GM’s said about him before he was drafted:

Here are comments on Boldin from 16 talent evaluators leading up to his 2003 NFL draft:

Scout: Cocky. Catches everything.

Scout II: Tenacious after the catch.

Scout III: Great athletic ability but can’t run. Fits into a power, West Coast-offense. Third round.

Personnel director: Great quickness and RAC (run-after-catch). He looks like Andre Rison on tape. I knew his speed was suspect but his first step quickness is better than most. Excellent hands and a tough, tough guy. 

Personnel director II: If he ran a 4.45, he’d be a mid-first rounder.

Wide receiver coach: Can’t run. But put his tapes on and all he does is make plays. Early third round if you need a possession guy.

Offensive coordinator: Like the way he plays. He’s a football player and doesn’t play slow.

Head coach: Good player but he’ll be lucky to go in the first day.

Head coach II: A winner. Didn’t run well but someone’s going to get a steal.

General manager: How many 6-0, 215-pound, 4.65 wide receivers make it? Third round.

General manager II: Second day. Can’t run. Good but not great receiver at Florida State.

General manager III: Just watch the tape. If you loved him in the fall, why hate him this winter based on his workout? Second round. He’s Hines Ward but more physical.

General manager IV: Everyone loves the way he plays. That’s got to account for something. May be the best of all of ‘em after the catch. Makes the first guy miss. Second round.

General manager IV: Bottom of the second round.

General manager VI: If you take him, put him in the slot and disregard his track time. Good player, good athlete. It’s tough to overlook his speed. But when push comes to shove and you start factoring in the football players, you’ve got to take him over some of these projects. I’d rather have him in the third round than reach for a (Taylor) Jacobs in the first.

I don’t think anyone’s saying Coleman couldn’t make an impact but boldin did have nearly double the production in his final year of college and was drafted to compliment an elite WR1 

I think that Coleman would probably be a very good fit across from one of those guys. 

unfortunately I think it’ll be hard for him to be one of those guys himself

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think anyone’s saying Coleman couldn’t make an impact but boldin did have nearly double the production in his final year of college and was drafted to compliment an elite WR1 

I think that Coleman would probably be a very good fit across from one of those guys. 

unfortunately I think it’ll be hard for him to be one of those guys himself

Who says Beane is done, in terms of a vet at WR?

You never know.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I think Baldy summed it up nicely. Coleman hasn't played WR that long and is still learning "nuances" of the game. He's a bit of a project and needs time to learn.

He can't separate at 4.61 so he'll have a CB or safety in his hip pocket. 

But Bills look to throw him jump balls where he can go up and out leap the smaller defensive backs using his basketball skills to box out. That's how FSU used him.

A better Gabe is what it looks like.

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think anyone’s saying Coleman couldn’t make an impact but Boldin did have nearly double the production in his final year of college and was drafted to compliment an elite WR1

Boldin was drafted a year before Larry Fitzgerald. Boldin was the only WR Arizona had his rookie year- and he put up 101 catches, 1377 yards, & 8 TDs.

• Haha (+1) 2

Ok I watched (it’s on YouTube) every target. 

He reminds of anquan boldin for sure. 

unfortunately I see a lot of “almost” catches as the DBs are able to rake and punch the ball out at the catch point bc they’re draped all over him

im hoping the fsu qb makes him a better producer w Josh Allen 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think Baldy summed it up nicely. Coleman hasn't played WR that long and is still learning "nuances" of the game. He's a bit of a project and needs time to learn.

He can't separate at 4.61 so he'll have a CB or safety in his hip pocket. 

But Bills look to throw him jump balls where he can go up and out leap the smaller defensive backs using his basketball skills to box out. That's how FSU used him.

A better Gabe is what it looks like.

We needed so much more than just a jump ball guy. Our WR room is so mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Early in the process I was not in favor of Keon because of his inability to separate at a high level, I saw some of the other receiving metrics and they weren’t impressive as well.  Then at the moment of the 40 time I was completely against wanting the Bills to consider him.

Then I saw him run the gauntlet and the speed he ran through that exercise and the ease of how he was plucking those balls opened up my interest again and I began looking into him a little more.

- He ran the fastest gauntlet over the last two years

- Analytics showed his game day timed speed of running routes was faster than most receivers

- His drop rate was very low showing that he has elite hands

- His RAS score is a 9.23 which means overall despite the slower timed combine 40 speed shows he’s a great athlete.

- His pro day 40 time was a 4.53 which is good for his size

- You watch him on film and he definitely does not look slow.

- His body control and ability to contort his body and adjust for passes shows he’s agile for size.  He has great ability to make the contested catches

- He’s a fluid athlete not a stiff upright runner, has various highlights of hurdling defenders

- He was chosen to return punts and led the team in bubble screens which means the team values his athletic ability

- He played for two good programs in back to back years meaning he didn’t have a lot of time to adjust to his new team and get familiar with them.

- Last three games were without their star QB and as a result his production was down skewing his analytics.   Context matters, remember how people just looked at Josh Allen’s completion percentage and formed judgements solely off that?

- Great infectious attitude and hard worker, all his teammates love him

- Decent route runner, not elite but doesn’t have a limited route tree like some chosen ahead of him

- Really good physical blocker

He has some shortcomings but he’s very strong in some areas and he’s young.  I expect that he will probably not have tons of targets as a rookie but I do believe he will be valuable for the team early on.   He will be used as a blocker which is important to this offense, he will be used in the red zone and on some deeper passes specially when defenses bring 6 and 7 rushers where I suspect he will have opportunities to make plays.

Great post. Thanks for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

We have seen enough comps with his 40 time have great success in the league to know it's not something that prevents you from being an elite player. Everybody keeps calling out his rare athleticism. His former MSU teammates, FSU teammates and coaches.

https://statenews.com/article/2024/04/keon-coleman-msu-spartan-fsu-seminole-buffalo-bill

All of them talk about how he is just different and you see that finesse, leaping ability, and agility just jump out when you watch tape. Such a well coordinated athlete for a guy who is that big. Still with a ton of room for growth. Seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Everybody has seen the FSU tape, here is some of the MSU tape. Just mossing people left and right. 

This is a good debate on Reddit from non Bills fans, very similar to what we see here

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I am honestly surprised by all of the negative comments here.  I watched several FSU games last year and was really impressed with Coleman.

I am excited he is here and can’t wait to see him on he field. Lots of receivers with “bad 40 times”, have successful NFL careers. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You are not factoring in that for his final three games, FSU did not have a functioning qb except at the very beginning of the north alabama game, when Jordan Travis went down early due to a leg injury that ended his season. He also had 5 catches for 86 yards and 2 tds vs Clemson.

It's a fair point, and I admittedly did not see every FSU game. But even before Travis went down he was pacing for a 750 yard season. The comparisons to Hopkins are lunacy.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Boldin was drafted a year before Larry Fitzgerald. Boldin was the only WR Arizona had his rookie year- and he put up 101 catches, 1377 yards, & 8 TDs.

Touche- I’ll take my medicine on that one! 

though I will say that he also had a ton more production his senior year too

he checked every box but speed. Coleman has the speed flag plus having to develop more.

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills FO had 20 hours on the clock to consider every other possible option and field every trade offer, and they stood pat so that they could pick Keon Coleman. They took him when a lot of very good prospects were still available. That all says a LOT to me about what they think of him.

I really don't know squat about football, so I don't have a valid opinion on how Keon Coleman will develop. But as a fan, I'm really excited to see if he can be what Beane and co. think he can be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

My question is not so much drafting him as drafting him when they did.  For reasons mentioned in earlier posts, would he not have been available later?

But again it's down to who is right, KC or the Bills and we likely won't know the answer for some time.

Edited by CodeMonkey