Bills Coverage Stuff that is Making me Grit my Teeth

1) discussion of the Bills W-L record with Allen, before and after Stefon Diggs, as though that proves Allen "needs" Diggs or Diggs "made" Allen what he is.

Look, folks, he was a raw rookie and then an improved 2nd year player, then he would have become a more improved player in 2020 whether Beane traded for Diggs or another WR or drafted Jefferson or someone else.  It was a big story in 2020 how Allen changed up his throwing motion and it helped him become more accurate.

2) discussion of how "Allen doesn't work in the off season" with the implication that Diggs is just out there grinding.  Meanwhile Diggs is going to fashion week in Paris, Coachella during Bills OTAs (while Allen is actually with the team in OTAs)

3) the latest is people dumping on Allen for Tim Graham's podcast revelation about the "it's only one ***** game" without the context of it being after the game, while Allen is sitting there taking the loss hard, still in his pads, and the rest of the team is coming over trying to lift him up, and whatever Diggs said wasn't reported (but Allen wasn't snapping at anyone else).

Probably more, but I'm actively trying to avoid it

• Like (+1) 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Beck -

Its all just noise.  We go looking for news, but there is no news.  Then we stuck on somethung that was written to catch our eye.  Sometimes its more or less correct, sometimes it isn't, but it's all just noise.  

Yesterday the Boston Globe said the Bills werent active in free agency because the Pegulas are unhappy with the results they're getting and tightened the purse strings.  Huh?

Unless it is written by the usual people who follow the Bills, it is just noise.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Get used to it. When your franchise admits to not being a film junkie, they will always question his work ethic.

When he's experienced most of his success with a top tier WR, people think it's the wr (it's almost never the wr)

Allen and Diggs had some tense moments. On national tv, in primetime, in playoffs, even AFCCG. What are these people who don't follow the bills supposed to think 🤷🏻‍♂️

In ways they were right. They said the bills will move on from Diggs and Diggs isn't happy. We said "they don't know what they are talking about. He literally just said in a presser he wants to retire a Bill". Then we all scream "clickbait" as if it illegitamizes the story, but sometimes even the idiots turn out to be correct.

Overall, BFD. What they say NEVER matters. We will all find out soon what Josh is without Diggs. Personally I see a major down year for the team and I'm still hoping for a new HC before Josh is 40, but I'd be damned if I'm going to be affected by someone's random opinion who I don't even know. Especially if it is literally their job to talk about it. They gotta say something, right? It's just like the political 24 hour news cycle. Gotta fill the air.

Stay off the social interwebs and click the TV over to game show network or something. You'll notice all the tension just wash away. I've followed the team this off-season less than I ever have and it's been great. I got a text from a friend of mine (who used to be a Buffalo Jill coincidentally) about the Bills trading Stef and it's the only reason I even came back on here a few days ago.

See y'all again at the draft!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

1) discussion of the Bills W-L record with Allen, before and after Stefon Diggs, as though that proves Allen "needs" Diggs or Diggs "made" Allen what he is.

Look, folks, he was a raw rookie and then an improved 2nd year player, then he would have become a more improved player in 2020 whether Beane traded for Diggs or another WR or drafted Jefferson or someone else.  It was a big story in 2020 how Allen changed up his throwing motion and it helped him become more accurate.

2) discussion of how "Allen doesn't work in the off season" with the implication that Diggs is just out there grinding.  Meanwhile Diggs is going to fashion week in Paris, Coachella during Bills OTAs (while Allen is actually with the team in OTAs)

3) the latest is people dumping on Allen for Tim Graham's podcast revelation about the "it's only one ***** game" without the context of it being after the game, while Allen is sitting there taking the loss hard, still in his pads, and the rest of the team is coming over trying to lift him up, and whatever Diggs said wasn't reported (but Allen wasn't snapping at anyone else).

Probably more, but I'm actively trying to avoid it

Tbf, we have never seen Allen play at an elite level without Diggs on the roster.

There were lots of Bills fans that thought Mahomes was gonna turn into a pumpkin when the Chiefs traded away Hill.

I think both arguments are insane, personally. Allen is gonna be elite with or without Diggs, even though he greatly benefitted from Diggs and making the jump 4 years ago.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm trying to think of a single NFL Quarterback who was great with an elite receiver, lost that receiver and immediately regressed. 

I'm struggling. 

We heard it with Mahomes - Hill. I remember it with Watson - Hopkins as well and Watson had a career year without him (albeit other factors then did torpedo him). Rodgers regressed his last year in Green Bay without Adams but that was 'cos he'd checked out and wasn't interested in getting on the same page with the talented new guys when he could sulk and throw to a stiff like Alan Lazard instead. Sure - elite receivers can elevate Quarterbacks but they don't make them. 

• Like (+1) 5

Was listening to Joe Marino on the Locked On Bills podcast- he had a guest on one of his most recent shows who talked about Diggs. It brought to light, with data, something that I was feeling, but couldn't put my finger on. 

Diggs has lost the ability to separate down the field. To be fair he was never an elite speed guy, but the data shows that past 10 yds Diggs was not getting any separation, couldnt stack DB's, etc. 

Long story short, the argument that Diggs was getting a ton of attention which opened the game up for everyone else down the stretch wasn't true. Sure there was the occasional missed throw by Josh, but that happens to every QB. He simply isn't the same guy he was when he came to Buffalo. 

If Beane makes the right moves in FA and the Draft to bring in a young receiver, with speed, I believe Josh will play even better next year than this year. 

He will put to bed all the arguments and the Bills will be improved on Offense. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Tbf, we have never seen Allen play at an elite level without Diggs on the roster.

There were lots of Bills fans that thought Mahomes was gonna turn into a pumpkin when the Chiefs traded away Hill.

I think both arguments are insane, personally. Allen is gonna be elite with or without Diggs, even though he greatly benefitted from Diggs and making the jump 4 years ago.

I’d say we saw Allen play elite without Steph in the playoffs many times.  Shakir was leading WR the last 12 games.  It was apparent it’s the James Cook, Dalton, and Shakir show.  We turned the Diggs channel week 6

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Diggs wanted to win. That's all he cares about. He didn't believe the Bills can win and that they missed their window. That's all you need to know. 

yeah. that first window closed due to him aging out.time for phase 2. good luck Stef.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ghs24mike said:

Was listening to Joe Marino on the Locked On Bills podcast- he had a guest on one of his most recent shows who talked about Diggs. It brought to light, with data, something that I was feeling, but couldn't put my finger on. 

Diggs has lost the ability to separate down the field. To be fair he was never an elite speed guy, but the data shows that past 10 yds Diggs was not getting any separation, couldnt stack DB's, etc. 

Long story short, the argument that Diggs was getting a ton of attention which opened the game up for everyone else down the stretch wasn't true. Sure there was the occasional missed throw by Josh, but that happens to every QB. He simply isn't the same guy he was when he came to Buffalo. 

If Beane makes the right moves in FA and the Draft to bring in a young receiver, with speed, I believe Josh will play even better next year than this year. 

Which aligns with around the time Diggs lost all patience. He knew his clock was ticking on winning a SB and he put himself before the team. 

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Beck -

Its all just noise.  We go looking for news, but there is no news.  Then we stuck on somethung that was written to catch our eye.  Sometimes its more or less correct, sometimes it isn't, but it's all just noise.  

Yesterday the Boston Globe said the Bills werent active in free agency because the Pegulas are unhappy with the results they're getting and tightened the purse strings.  Huh?

Unless it is written by the usual people who follow the Bills, it is just noise.  

As always Shaw the voice of reason.   Beck’s a good dude and usually is pragmatic.  My thought is it’s the off season as well and their fore people who love the Bills and the NFL are listening to nonsense as there is nothing else coming out.  For me it’s follow the draft and in June hopefully that $10 mil for Tre will be enough for a role player like an OBJ.  He might sign for $6-7 mil. And we still have a little left for injuries that will pop up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ghs24mike said:

Exactly this—Diggs just wasn’t drawing the double team attention anymore because it wasn’t necessary. But that should make us even more optimistic about Shakir, Kincaid and Cook continuing to improve despite Diggs exiting stage left, imho. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm trying to think of a single NFL Quarterback who was great with an elite receiver, lost that receiver and immediately regressed. 

I'm struggling. 

We heard it with Mahomes - Hill. I remember it with Watson - Hopkins as well and Watson had a career year without him (albeit other factors then did torpedo him). Rodgers regressed his last year in Green Bay without Adams but that was 'cos he'd checked out and wasn't interested in getting on the same page with the talented new guys when he could sulk and throw to a stiff like Alan Lazard instead. Sure - elite receivers can elevate Quarterbacks but they don't make them. 

Stafford hugely cut down his boneheaded INT’s without Megatron.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I’d say we saw Allen play elite without Steph in the playoffs many times.  Shakir was leading WR the last 12 games.  It was apparent it’s the James Cook, Dalton, and Shakir show.  We turned the Diggs channel week 6

Steph was on the field still. 

imo, you aren’t allowed to be mad at the “Allen needs Diggs to be great” take if you had the “let’s see how Mahomes does without Hill” take.

Don’t make me search ur history @Beck Water

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Diggs wanted to win. That's all he cares about. He didn't believe the Bills can win and that they missed their window. That's all you need to know. 

Diggs missed his window I suppose as he'll be turning 31 this season. He knows he could be out of the league within a year or two at that age. Even if he is capable and better than most 3rd and 4th WR's on the depth chart, it's not likely Diggs is going to hold on for several years and take marginal backseat roles in offenses. 

Allen's still what 27 or 28? His and the Bills window will be wide open for the next several years at minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Beck -

The reality is that on most days, there is not a damned thing worth talking about with the Bills that you don't already know, especially in the off-season.

The internet and a 24 hour news cycle has created the mess we have now.

How to deal with it?  Switch it off and switch out.

It's not hard.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, zevo said:

yeah. that first window closed due to him aging out.time for phase 2. good luck Stef.

3 hours ago, zevo said:

The only thing that should have closed was Diggs hands around the ball...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Exactly this—Diggs just wasn’t drawing the double team attention anymore because it wasn’t necessary. But that should make us even more optimistic about Shakir, Kincaid and Cook continuing to improve despite Diggs exiting stage left, imho. 

All I know is when Brady started de-emphacizing Diggs on offense, we started winning again. Stef's playoff numbers over the last 3 years was bad. There was never a more perfect time to make this move considering the build-up of tension between Josh and him.  I am very optimistic about the future of this team, especially if we hit on a couple of quality wrs in the draft.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills are taking their medicine this year. Their cash spend last season was 5th in the NFL in 2023. As it stands today it is 22nd. I haven’t read the Globe article as it’s paywalled, but I think he’s drawing an unfair conclusion about the tightening of the purse strings. While it is true that the Bills are spending a lot less cash this season than last, they obviously decided to take a lot of dead cap hits now. It’s a massive $55M in total dead cap hits in fact. It’s a reset and it’ll be a bit of down season. But that’s not the same as a permanent cinching of the purse strings. If the spending doesn’t increase next offseason then that’s a different story. But it’s definitely jumping the gun to think it’s more than a reset. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1