Would a trade for DK Metcalf be possible given his current contract??

I believe he has 2 years and 35 million left on his current contract......if Seattle eats some of that contract in the way the Bills did with Diggs, could a trade for Metcalf be possible?

How about a 2nd and 4th this year plus a conditional 2nd that could become a 1st next year for Metcalf and Seattle's 3rd rounder this year.

This would still leave the Bills with the ability to draft a WR at 28.....they could go with a smaller speed-type receiver like Xavier Worthy to compliment Metcalf at WR2.

An offense of Metcalf, Worthy, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook would surpass anything any other AFC offense could put on the field!!

Lets go, Beane!!

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm sure Seattle would take that deal. That's too much to spend on Metcalf when he would need a new contract. 

I was thinking the conditional pick would hinge on whether he signed long term or not, and the fact that Seattle would eat some of the contract to fit him under the salary cap this year.

Not sure what you mean by "if Seattle eats some of that contract in the way the Bills did with Diggs". Buffalo didn't "eat" Diggs' contract, it's just the way the salary cap works where a signing bonus is paid up front but is amortized over the course of the contract. When a player is traded, what's left of the amortization immediately goes against the cap. This is the first time I've looked at overthecap, but I think I understand it. Metcalf would have a base salary of around $13 million this year and $18 million next year. Seattle would have a dead cap hit of $15 million / $7.5 million this year / next year. Unless they really want to get rid of him, I doubt they'd want to do that. But, I didn't think the Bills would have wanted to take the big hit they did for Diggs, so, what do I know.

• Thank you (+1) 2

DK and one of Legette/Worthy/Mitchell outside with Shakir, Samuel, Cook and Kincaid working underneath. 

No one is stopping that.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

If only we took DK instead of Cody Ford in 2019.  Seemed like such an obvious choice back then.   Would not have had to move up either. 

I'll refrain from being the guy who said he told everyone so

Best we just rectify the multiple errors of 2019 by bringing the man here.

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I distinctly remember. You were the only one.

• Haha (+1) 7

Seattle is up against the cap but would actually gain $1m in cap space by trading Metcalf.  It’s a new coach, so wouldn’t surprise me if they’d move Metcalf for some premium draft picks.  Plus Metcalf probably wants new contract as he’s outplayed his current one.  

Next years 1st plus swap of 2024 2nd for their 2024 3rd plus one of our 4th’s.  

• Vomit 1

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

That’s all I needed to see…. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Are we seriously comparing Gabe Davis and DK Metcalf?  What would Gabe’s numbers have been with Geno Smith and Drew Lock throwing him the ball? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

DK Metcalf. Justin Jefferson. Brandon Aiyuk. Tee Higgins…

Cant see us trading for any of those guys given the $ value that will be attached. Especially after absorbing all that dead money from Stefon. 

Drafting WRs is the solution, sorry to break it to you. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s Gabe and DK. 

yeah - this tells the true story.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Are we seriously comparing Gabe Davis and DK Metcalf?  What would Gabe’s numbers have been with Geno Smith and Drew Lock throwing him the ball? 

Not sure why it’s so hard to figure out given that it’s been proven out for years, but number 1 WRs get their numbers regardless of who the QB is. Adams and Hill went from Rodgers and Mahomes to Carr and Tua and their numbers didn’t regress whatsoever. 

DK is better than Gabe, but they’re a lot closer than people here realize. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s Gabe and DK. 

He is somewhat living off of his 2020 season still, which was close to elite. 

But his yards per target over the last 4 years is actually higher than Diggs 4 years here in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Is Seattle in cap trouble? Why would they be looking to trade him?

New regime, they may want to "start over"  there were some rumors last year about DK being available for a 1st 

No idea if they'd seriously consider moving him....but I would make a call if I'm Beane 

15 minutes ago, BBFL said:

DK Metcalf. Justin Jefferson. Brandon Aiyuk. Tee Higgins…

Cant see us trading for any of those guys given the $ value that will be attached. Especially after absorbing all that dead money from Stefon. 

Drafting WRs is the solution, sorry to break it to you. 

What about DHop?  A meager $13M salary.  Plus the guy has hands.  IMO he is currently better than Diggs.

Drafting a WR is necessary.  Relying on the rookie WR is risky.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Because they can get multiple picks for him and there is a chance he is Gave Davis with the exception of one great season that Gabe never had. 

DK >>>> Gabe

image.thumb.png.8ce30f15009f559fd7ad434cb0372ac3.png

Far superior QB play here.....give him the targets Diggs gets....    115 receptions for 1700 yards and 14 TDs

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Not sure why it’s so hard to figure out given that it’s been proven out for years, but number 1 WRs get their numbers regardless of who the QB is. Adams and Hill went from Rodgers and Mahomes to Carr and Tua and their numbers didn’t regress whatsoever. 

DK is better than Gabe, but they’re a lot closer than people here realize. 

They probably do run similar routes, but I’d argue with Josh throwing him the ball that Metcalf would see a jump in production.  Metcalf is faster than Davis and bullies DB’s.  You can still throw him the ball when he’s doubled.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

DK >>>> Gabe

image.thumb.png.8ce30f15009f559fd7ad434cb0372ac3.png

For their careers, Metcalf has a catch percentage of 60% with 8.6 yards per target. Davis is 55% with 9.1 yards per target. DK produces via volume of targets. 

1 minute ago, Billl said:

For their careers, Metcalf has a catch percentage of 60% with 8.6 yards per target. Davis is 55% with 9.1 yards per target. DK produces via volume of targets. 

Let's put Travis Kelce on the Seahawks and look at his career stats.....hmm I wonder if they'd be just a bit different 

if Metcalf was put with Mahomes or Allen....he produces at a Top 5 level IMO 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Phew, for a second there i thought you were going to point out that you told us so

37 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What about DHop?  A meager $13M salary.  Plus the guy has hands.  IMO he is currently better than Diggs.

Drafting a WR is necessary.  Relying on the rookie WR is risky.

Yeah that would be a solid option.

Those guys I was talking about are those marquee guys people are clamoring a trade for who’s salaries are/would be huge. 

I absolutely agree with you about the risk factor involved but looking back at all the recent drafts there is a plethora of guys who have come in immediately and produced every single year since 2017. 

2017 and 2019 have produced some solid guys, just not in the early rounds. 

2022 and 2021 had some great players. Solid players who appear to be home runs all throughout the draft. 

It’s dependent on one thing IMO; the QB. 
Coaching staff plays their part, sure, but a QB is delivering the on field results. 

Take the first 10 WRs from years draft; Quentin Johnson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison, Johnathon Mingo,  Jayden Reed, Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims, Tank Dell & Jaylin Hyatt. 

Out of those 10 they all performed to a reasonable standard. The one that comes out on top? Rashee Rice… His QB? The consensus best in the league

I honestly think you double dip this year at the position. Josh is talented enough to at least help one of them into something of worth for our team. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Let's put Travis Kelce on the Seahawks and look at his career stats.....hmm I wonder if they'd be just a bit different 

History says they would be pretty similar. He was elite with Alex Smith. 

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

History says they would be pretty similar. He was elite with Alex Smith. 

Yeah, you’re right somewhat. But is he having the continued success after Alex Smith; a la Pat Mahomes? 

He’ll be productive. No doubt. Don’t think he’s coming away with the average of  100 Rec’ / 1238 Yds / 8.6 TDs…

That’s a huge average for a WR, let alone a TE. 

QB and system over 6 years versus the following over 4:            76.8 Rec’ / 975 Yds / 5.5 TDs with Alex Smith. 

Still elite numbers but not otherworldly like the ones with Mahomes/Reid. 

QB matters. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If this happens, I want credit!  It was my idea first!  COPYRIGHT VIOLATION! 🤣

Although in my crazed proposal  we get pick 16 as well for BTJ 

No offense, but you throw a lot of scenarios out there it's hard to keep up!!😋

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think there were many, many posters that wanted Metcalf.

2 hours ago, Special K said:

I believe he has 2 years and 35 million left on his current contract......if Seattle eats some of that contract in the way the Bills did with Diggs, could a trade for Metcalf be possible?

How about a 2nd and 4th this year plus a conditional 2nd that could become a 1st next year for Metcalf and Seattle's 3rd rounder this year.

This would still leave the Bills with the ability to draft a WR at 28.....they could go with a smaller speed-type receiver like Xavier Worthy to compliment Metcalf at WR2.

An offense of Metcalf, Worthy, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook would surpass anything any other AFC offense could put on the field!!

Lets go, Beane!!

I'm not here to poop on trade idea threads. It's reasonable, trade value looks fair or in ball park of fair.... wouldn't hate it If we did it, but prefer if we just draft our own young cheap guys. 

That compensation gets us at least in ball park of a top 3 wr. Definitely within top 4. Stay cheap, get the humble, juiced up to perform kinda guy over an expensive veteran. 

Will admit my approach is more of a gamble, higher ceiling, lower floor potential. If BB finds that too risky or impossible.... stay put and let a stacked draft fall your way.

Good scenarios where any of the 3 options improves us