Diggs traded to Texans for picks

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is a joke right? Diggs was acting up in TC this past year! He ran the Minnesota playbook to a T. 

He tweets cryptic ***** and acts out. This is how Beane knew he was available in Minnesota, and this is how teams knew he was gettable now.

We need to stop deluding ourselves. This didn’t happen overnight. The whole cryptic tweet topic is a referendum on people who need to wake up. Maybe the guy who has now forced his way off two teams with weird comments and weird behavior DID IT ON PURPOSE.

either you think he’s completely low function and clueless 

or he’s a charismatic but manipulative jerk 

im going with the latter as I don’t think he’s among the lowest functioning adults around. He clearly knows what he’s doing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, but we prob should have traded him earlier perhaps (prior to last year. although perhaps Kincaid and Shakir not as developed then getting cb1 coverage who knows)?

The one area Beane 100% screwed up with was extending Diggs with 2 years on his deal.

I think @BADOLBILZ said that it was something Beane has never done with any player in the org except Josh Allen? And I think Beane’s MO to other pending FA’s was that extensions weren’t on the table until approaching the final year of the current deal. 

It’s clear now that the extension was the way to try to get Diggs’ back in and win some goodwill. unfortunately, we are now paying a ton of that extension money, while Diggs hasn’t even finished his previous contract.

When you play with a toxic WR, you get burned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I thinks its a mixed bag

But I wouldnt go that hard and go for nine

Sure move for the guys you feel fit.

We aint gettin Marvin Harrison jr so ...

I think a more moderate move up to Brian Thomas is realistic.

Id also be fine just grabbing AD Mitchell at ~28 and move around the 2nd and grab Franklin. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Not really.  Yes there could have been calls before and Beane probably scoffed at them but when they were sitting at 6-6 and about to change OC's, then the calls sounded a bit more reasonable is all I was getting at.

I know it didn't happen overnight, it started 2 years ago when they extended him and Diggs probably felt like he was "untouchable" within the organization.

I don’t think Brandon Beane had any intention of even considering trading Diggs up to the start of the 2023 season.

I think Stefon Diggs clearly had different ideas.  And that can’t be more obvious in hindsight today.

Thinking of impactful veterans that are either available or possibly could be made available

Jefferson

DK Metcalf

Aiyuk

Higgins

Sutton

Kupp

feel free to make suggestions

DK Metcalf would be my target. Only 26 and could be incredible with Allen

I’d offer 60 and 2025 2nd.  That should be ballpark

only 26

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

This guy is an emotional wreck all the time.  It’s like a 14 year old has a job on Wgr 

Pretty sure a bunch of the guys there are in their 20's so they have never known bills success until now.

I know Joe Dibiase is like 27 or something like that.

White, Shoop, Bulldog and Sal are the old guys left.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I think Diggs probably has wanted out since last year and Bills knew he wasn’t going to play nice with a new alpha receiver the Bills plan on drafting. That would only make the diva drama worse so it was time to cut the cord now for team chemistry. Diggs is on the downside of his career trajectory. Some alphas can’t live with another alpha. He probably wanted no part of teaching his replacement. That’s just the way uber competitive guys are sometimes. 

I agree with that this and for that reason can’t imagine things will go better for him in Houston after the honeymoon period is over 

I think you could make the case hes the third best receiver there right now 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Thinking of impactful veterans that are either available or possibly could be made available

Jefferson

DK Metcalf

Aiyuk

Higgins

Sutton

Kupp

How are you going to pay for them? WR has to be through the draft.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think Brandon Beane had any intention of even considering trading Diggs up to the start of the 2023 season.

I think Stefon Diggs clearly had different ideas.  And that can’t be more obvious in hindsight today.

that they restructured him last offseason indicates that this wasn’t the plan at the time… it’s remarkable how quickly after that money came he turned ultra sour though.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Jefferson

DK Metcalf

Aiyuk

Higgins

Sutton

Kupp

only 26

Suggestion:   Draft

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Jefferson

DK Metcalf

Aiyuk

Higgins

Sutton

Kupp

only 26

Let’s just go WR round 1 and 2. It’s the perfect class to get a couple great weapons on the cheap for the next 4-5 years. 

BUT…I’d be down for getting Sutton. Bet we could get him for a 4th rounder 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

that they restructured him last offseason indicates that this wasn’t the plan at the time… it’s remarkable how quickly after that money came he turned ultra sour though.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2877076-stefon-diggs-trade-rumors-odds-of-vikings-trading-star-wr-are-pretty-long.amp.html

“NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported in October that Diggs' frustration with the Vikings was "palpable" to the point teammates wondered if he wanted to remain in Minnesota. 

Things eventually cooled down enough for Diggs to finish out the season. He turned in the most productive campaign of his career with 1,130 receiving yards, 17.9 yards per reception and six touchdowns. 

Diggs is entering the second season of a five-year contract extension he signed in July 2018. The Maryland alum will earn $10.9 million in base salary in 2020, per Spotrac.”

It. Was. The. Minnesota. Playbook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2877076-stefon-diggs-trade-rumors-odds-of-vikings-trading-star-wr-are-pretty-long.amp.html

“NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported in October that Diggs' frustration with the Vikings was "palpable" to the point teammates wondered if he wanted to remain in Minnesota. 

Things eventually cooled down enough for Diggs to finish out the season. He turned in the most productive campaign of his career with 1,130 receiving yards, 17.9 yards per reception and six touchdowns. 

Diggs is entering the second season of a five-year contract extension he signed in July 2018. The Maryland alum will earn $10.9 million in base salary in 2020, per Spotrac.”

acquire as much guaranteed $ as possible then force a trade and get the next team to give more

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Pretty sure a bunch of the guys there are in their 20's so they have never known bills success until now.

I know Joe Dibiase is like 27 or something like that.

White, Shoop, Bulldog and Sal are the old guys left.

Nate is 30, DiBiasie is 27, I think that new guy is 25. 

So another country heard from (This is former Bills and 49ers WR Stevie Johnson)

Total change of subject, but after I found this it led me to the Twitter of former cup o coffee Bill Mike Jasper.  It was good to see - apparently he's the head football coach and associate athletic director now at Bethel University and doing well!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

It's crazy how quickly their relationship deteriorated

honestly I think diggs plays games constantly socially. Just absolutely non stop wanting to be liked but also not being a particularly likable guy. 

it’s cheesy but to be the guy with two girls in the same hotel on valentines- whatever level of truth is there- that we all buy it 110% speaks volumes to who we really think he is as a man. 

we just don’t like to think that we were sitting in one of those rooms being sweet talked. 

• Like (+1) 1

It was pretty obvious from the beginning how this would end. Diggs is a good player, but has now talked himself out of two pretty solid football towns. And neither town achieved much football glory with him wearing their uniform. Houston won’t either 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

acquire as much guaranteed $ as possible then force a trade and get the next team to give more

be on your best behavior for a season or two til they rip up your old deal that the old team half paid, and hit you with more guarantees. 

Diggs is probably gonna be one of the highest paid WR’s ever in  a season or two.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

You are so full of baloney

I don't know what was said previous to that comment but I would say that is probably true.

We had Diggs and that was about it for 2-3 year, Gabe was good but inconsistent.  Had Brown and Sanders and Beasley (Beasley probably being the best of the 3) and Knox.  

Having Diggs, with Nico and Dell.  Still have Wood for depth and Schultz at TE.  I don't think the Bills have ever come close to that amount of talent at offensive weapons other than in 2020 and those were guys barely hanging on in the league, not rookie and 2nd year players.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Even so, the organization is in a less than ideal position. They are now paying a receiver 30 million to not be on the team. It might be the right move, but it is not what anyone wanted to happen. Ideally, Diggs would be on the team, happy, and contributing. But he's not.

I didn't envision the upcoming season without Diggs, but I get it. He's replaceable. I'm actually excited to see the new WR room and the offense that Brady employs.

My expectations remain high.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly I think diggs plays games constantly socially. Just absolutely non stop wanting to be liked but also not being a particularly likable guy. 

it’s cheesy but to be the guy with two girls in the same hotel on valentines- whatever level of truth is there- that we all buy it 110% speaks volumes to who we really think he is as a man. 

we just don’t like to think that we were sitting in one of those rooms being sweet talked. 

If diggs were a woman he would be called a ***** and generally regarded as a low life in society.  Somehow it didn't tarnish diggs reputation at all.  I say good riddance. 

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Diggs is "crazy" like a fox. 

Except I'm not sure he can get paid any more money than his current deal maps out. This particular breakup appears to be about more than seeking additional signing bonuses. Why would a team do ANYthing to tie themselves to him (wrt the cap) beyond the current year? 

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Diggs is "crazy" like a fox. 

Except I'm not sure he can get paid any more money than his current deal maps out. This particular breakup appears to be about more than seeking additional signing bonuses. Why would a team do ANYthing to tie themselves to him (wrt the cap) beyond the current year? 

If he plays well this season, particularly as the Texans work back Dell from injury, I could easily see them giving Diggs a 2-3 year functional extension while Stroud and Dell are on rookie deals. 

Structure Collins’ extension to be more up front until you have to extend Stroud and Tank, and jettison Diggs at that time.

An observation - remember how this board reacted when we said bye to Morse and White. With a tinge of sadness and many wishes for a bright future.

And look how we feel when we saw Diggs bu** go out the door. Eager to put our boot on it. 

Cant but contrast how they were as team mates and as individuals. We will always think fondly of players like Morse, White....

4 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

If diggs were a woman he would be called a ***** and generally regarded as a low life in society.  Somehow it didn't tarnish diggs reputation at all.  I say good riddance. 

Maybe that line of criticism should go away for EVERYONE. I respect the heck out of Diggs for enjoying life's carnal pleasures. He's a bit compulsive/competitive about it, for sure (Valentine's hotel reservations a few years back, for those who know), but I think we know he's a certain kind of guy. Look up that Minnesota locker room clip of his teammates individually naming him as the guy they wouldn't trust with their sisters (or something like that). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Tampering 

No. Not at all. Players can talk to each other. A lot of this goes on before legal tampering can happen. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I was hugely impressed with Stroud.  I think he will be a top 10 QB in this league.  I do want to see how he looks with a whole year of tape on him.  No one saw the Texans coming last year.  This season they get a first place schedule.  They still play in the worst division in the league but they aren't flying under anyone's radar in 2024.

He will always be better than Josh because he was supposed to be better than Josh in the draft. Josh will always be the last pumpkin from the patch who has his faultsnkind of guy. Houston has an uphill battle with tough games but not as much as you'd like.

Home: Baltimore, Detroit, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee, Indy, Chicago,

Away: Dallas, KC, GB, Minnesota, NYJ, NE, Indy, Jax, Ten

Toss up on games against GB, Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Miami. Don't know what those teams will be like. Dallas they can beat. KC, Detroit, Baltimore are 3 losses.

If they lose more than 5 games I'll be shocked.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I have not seen any Bills players former or current comment on the trade.  The Bills do a decent job keeping things in house but not even a "good luck in Houston, we will miss you" type thing from his teammates??  Not even a "thats wild".  The silence is rather telling.

Isaiah McKenzie posted something stupid about hanging out again and the old crew never getting back together. Ther former WRs from 2020-2021 did as well 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Too rich for my blood. Let the BPA come to us. 

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The one area Beane 100% screwed up with was extending Diggs with 2 years on his deal.

I think @BADOLBILZ said that it was something Beane has never done with any player in the org except Josh Allen? And I think Beane’s MO to other pending FA’s was that extensions weren’t on the table until approaching the final year of the current deal. 

It’s clear now that the extension was the way to try to get Diggs’ back in and win some goodwill. unfortunately, we are now paying a ton of that extension money, while Diggs hasn’t even finished his previous contract.

When you play with a toxic WR, you get burned.

This and Millers contract were two of the most worstest moves he ever made. At least punk Miller have money back.

Knox deserved to get paid but struggled. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Maybe that line of criticism should go away for EVERYONE. I respect the heck out of Diggs for enjoying life's carnal pleasures. He's a bit compulsive/competitive about it, for sure (Valentine's hotel reservations a few years back, for those who know), but I think we know he's a certain kind of guy. Look up that Minnesota locker room clip of his teammates individually naming him as the guy they wouldn't trust with their sisters (or something like that). 

we joke that it’s just being a player but I think it underscores who he’s been with teams, likely teammates, etc…. 

he is charming til he’s done using you 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

No. Not at all. Players can talk to each other. A lot of this goes on before legal tampering can happen. 

He will always be better than Josh because he was supposed to be better than Josh in the draft. Josh will always be the last pumpkin from the patch who has his faultsnkind of guy. Houston has an uphill battle with tough games but not as much as you'd like.

Home: Baltimore, Detroit, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee, Indy, Chicago,

Away: Dallas, KC, GB, Minnesota, NYJ, NE, Indy, Jax, Ten

Toss up on games against GB, Buffalo, NYJ, Jacksonville, Miami. Don't know what those teams will be like. Dallas they can beat. KC, Detroit, Baltimore are 3 losses.

If they lose more than 5 games I'll be shocked.

Isaiah McKenzie posted something stupid about hanging out again and the old crew never getting back together. Ther former WRs from 2020-2021 did as well 

Too rich for my blood. Let the BPA come to us. 

This and Millers contract were two of the most worstest moves he ever made. At least punk Miller have money back.

Knox deserved to get paid but struggled. 

the Miller contract was a risk, but it wasn’t one that I hated. Looks bad because it didn’t work.

Beane has a habit of just missing out on making the right move, and doubling down to try to make it again later. 

He tried to trade for Sanders/Diggs and failed. He then traded for Diggs the next offseason and brought in Sanders a year later (when he was washed.)

We were in the market for a big run stuffing Loutotototo who we grossly overpaid. Then chased DJ Reader and got outbid because we had the tub of goo already making too much money. 

We tried to be in on Von Miller when he got traded to the Rams and was huge in their ring run. (My hot take is if Beane had made that trade, 13 seconds never happens and we go to the SB). Of course, missed him and chases him in FA the next offseason.

Day late and dollar short should be Beane’s nickname. He’s got good ideas, but we just can’t quite pull them off perfectly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I don't know what was said previous to that comment but I would say that is probably true.

We had Diggs and that was about it for 2-3 year, Gabe was good but inconsistent.  Had Brown and Sanders and Beasley (Beasley probably being the best of the 3) and Knox.  

Having Diggs, with Nico and Dell.  Still have Wood for depth and Schultz at TE.  I don't think the Bills have ever come close to that amount of talent at offensive weapons other than in 2020 and those were guys barely hanging on in the league, not rookie and 2nd year players.

Dude.  In the pre season evaluation, 2020, Beasley and Brown were not "barely hanging on in the league".  Brown was 29 and coming off his first 1000+ yard season without a true #1 like Fitzgerald in front of him.  He had 53 1D and 6 TD to boot.  Beasley was coming off his 2nd highest yardage total as a slot.  Diggs, Brown and Beasley was a legit talented trio

You know how it showed?  It showed because the Bills were 6 yds off from the #2 passing offense in the league - they WERE the #2 offense in points scored.  Josh Allen was not throwing those balls to himself.  Beasley was 1 broken leg from breaking 1000 yds.  Brown was injured and Davis stepped up, between them they put up 1067 yds.  

I really like Nico Collins in his 3rd season, and Tank Dell looked very promising indeed in his rookie year.  But Dell suffered a broken fibula in Week 13 and it's not clear when he'll be back to the same form.  So add in Diggs and assume he hasn't "fallen off a cliff" as he approaches age 31, we're talking 3 guys coming off 3189 yds the previous season, where in 2020 pre-season, we had 3 guys coming off 2968 yds in Diggs, Beasley and Brown.  In 2021, we had 4 guys (add Gabe Davis) coming off 3559 yds.

Do the Texans have talent at WR?  Yes.  Did they get better by adding Diggs?  Most probably. 

Do they have more talent at WR than the Bills at the moment?   Also most probably.

But there's so much revisionist history here.  We aren't talking Chase, Higgins and Boyd here.  Do the Texans have more talent than Allen has ever had?  Like in 2020?  C'mon now.

Maybe 2024 Diggs will have a resurgence and equal or surpass his 2020 production, but I wouldn't bet the rent money.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If he plays well this season, particularly as the Texans work back Dell from injury, I could easily see them giving Diggs a 2-3 year functional extension while Stroud and Dell are on rookie deals. 

Structure Collins’ extension to be more up front until you have to extend Stroud and Tank, and jettison Diggs at that time.

But why SHOULD Houston do that? What's his leverage? His extension JUST kicked in. Houston did not pay all that much to acquire him if you correctly downgrade future years' draft picks a round.

Essentially, Houston got Stefon Diggs plus two 6th round picks all for one 3rd round pick. Not bad. No reason to sink more than Diggs' already handsome annual salaries into the transaction, considering the WR's age and the consecutive seasons' 2nd half drop-offs. Getting more than a productive 2024 out of him would be wishful thinking tbh. 

17 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

An observation - remember how this board reacted when we said bye to Morse and White. With a tinge of sadness and many wishes for a bright future.

And look how we feel when we saw Diggs bu** go out the door. Eager to put our boot on it. 

Cant but contrast how they were as team mates and as individuals. We will always think fondly of players like Morse, White....

I can't say that's true for me (the "eager to put my boot on it" part).

I was surprised, taken aback, and I feel that the Bills are a worse team today than they were yesterday.

It may be necessary surgery, I'm not in a position to judge.

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

But why SHOULD Houston do that? What's his leverage? His extension JUST kicked in. Houston did not pay all that much to acquire him if you correctly downgrade future years' draft picks a round.

Essentially, Houston got Stefon Diggs plus two 6th round picks all for one 3rd round pick. Not bad. No reason to sink more than Diggs' already handsome annual salaries into the transaction, considering the WR's age and the consecutive seasons' 2nd half drop-offs. Getting more than a productive 2024 out of him would be wishful thinking tbh. 

Because his agent is going to say, “he has no guaranteed money, he helped you get to the AFCCG and it’s good business to reward him by converting some of his base salary to guarantees.”

Shady McCoy had no leverage and we ripped up his contract immediately to make him happy. 

They ultimately want to win. Sprinkling in some guarantees to keep Diggs happy while they try to win a SB in the next 2 years isn’t that crazy, even knowing his history.