Bills sign C/G Will Clapp

44 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m saying nothing I swear when Edwards looks like Quinton Spain.   

Zero I told you sos will be coming from me.  

Even if you are correct in that assessment - I'm not sure how that equates to needing a Center when both the front office and McGovern himself feel he's better fit for Center.

As I've said, as good as McGovern is at not letting blocks through and holding his ground - he's not good at pushing his man back in running situations. That's perfectly fine for Center, but not great for a Guard.

If you think Edwards isn't enough, then you should be pushing for Guard help. Not Center. But Kromer is a big fan of Edwards. He started 24 games at Guard for him in LA when they were together in 2019 and 2020. He started 45 of the 53 games he played before coming here after being injured the year before - including also starting every game at Guard for the Rams and in the Super Bowl the year they won it. He's no inexperienced slouch.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I dunno exactly … they got Edwards re- signed for 2 years at $3m per… they are paying McGovern $7.5 m per next two years and as mentioned they are now committed to see that out ….  I don’t hate McGovern but not sure he is that much better than Edwards …. can only assume Kromer loves him

I think Edwards is a tougher dude than McGovern.

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if you are correct in that assessment - I'm not sure how that equates to needing a Center when both the front office and McGovern himself feel he's better fit for Center.

As I've said, as good as McGovern is at not letting blocks through and holding his ground - he's not good at pushing his man back in running situations. That's perfectly fine for Center, but not great for a Guard.

If you think Edwards isn't enough, then you should be pushing for Guard help. Not Center. But Kromer is a big fan of Edwards. He started 24 games at Guard for him in LA when they were together in 2019 and 2020. He started 45 of the 53 games he played before coming here after being injured the year before - including also starting every game at Guard for the Rams and in the Super Bowl the year they won it. He's no inexperienced slouch.

These are all fine points.  I don’t necessarily disagree.  

Just showing a lot of confidence in 2 new interior guys when the rest of the league didn’t think too too highly of them.  

I guess if Edwards can be Feliciano and McGovern can be say on par with C like the one Dallas had that will work to.  

And of course he’s to the continued development of Brown. 

He was the starting center for the Chargers when we played them last year. I remember thinking how lucky we were to play against their 3rd center in our matchup, and then our interior DL did basically nothing. So maybe our coaches were impressed and figured he was worth a shot as a camp body if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Sorry you a so picky.  What NFL team has good depth on their O line?   Seriously, most NFL teams don't even have good starting O linemen.

Why didn't people like Clapp?  He looks like a pretty big dude.    

Last year I thought the Bills entered in with really good offensive line depth especially along the interior. In the past I have thought the Bills really attempted good offensive line depth when they had guys like Ty Nesheke and Bates on the bench. Last year Bates and Edwards were quality backups. They also had attempted better veteran depth at tackle where Quessenberry and Snell both vets were competing with Brown at RT. Obviously Snell retired and Quess was waived in favor of picking up Ifedi and mainly going with Van Denmark as a swing tackle. 

This year I think Van Denmark is a solid backup and Alex Anderson has potential but there's really not a whole lot on the bench and Edwards starting at LG is OK but leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He was the starting center for the Chargers when we played them last year. I remember thinking how lucky we were to play against their 3rd center in our matchup, and then our interior DL did basically nothing. So maybe our coaches were impressed and figured he was worth a shot as a camp body if nothing else.

didn’t Oliver blow by the middle of their line to win the game. 

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep. I was certain our DL would eat against a decimated line and Easton Stick. No one did anything until the Oliver sack to end the game

• Like (+1) 1

The juvenile Clapp "jokes" got old in about 10 seconds. Easy to see why not many comedians have come from western NY. What is interesting are responses from the Chargers media absolutely roasting Clapp. I mean brutal. LA Times stated - "Herbert won't miss him, he's likely responsible for a good many of his trips to the blue tent". Ouch. Chargers Wire comments included, "Uninspired", "Turnstyle", "Subpar", "Destined for a career on someone's practice squad". Hopefully Kromer can work some magic.            

1 hour ago, Kornfed said:

This is due to evolution of the roster. When you have a strong core and you're a consistent contender, the dynamics change. Think about it.

I’m not saying Beane is wrong in doing so, I’m saying that’s what he does,  drafting for need imo is how the entire league does it, some GMs are overall just better at it / know there teams needs and the type of players that will fit those needs, we have all seen GMs that screw the pooch annually with their selections. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1