Does Josh Allen still work as hard in the offseason?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I am shocked that someone thinks that Mahomes and Allen are worse QB's today than they were 4-5 years ago because they haven't had better statistical outputs than their best seasons (2018 and 2020, respectively)

Wild take, but I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

That's literally the argument you made against Allen.....  unless you were just pointing out an argument without believing it? The tone of your post suggested to me that you thought Allen is not working hard in the offseason. Apologies if I misunderstood

Thesis:

I’m not sure if Allen works hard or not during the off-season 

Evidence: 

No unofficial WR minicamp videos

No workout videos

Talks about focusing on healing and time off instead of conditioning in the off-season 

Has not improved as a QB since 2020

Mahomes has been the best QB in the league since 2018 and Allen has been the 2nd best since 2020. Those were also their best individual seasons. It's technically true to say they haven't improved since those seasons, but it's an incredibly disingenuous argument to make.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Completely out of context

Allen said he is played differently than every other QB so film isn't giving him what it does to most

Because he isn't played the same 

I am saying if any other qb says this they would get laughed at.   I am sure teams don't play Kyler Murray the same way as other qbs either.

If you feel that is reasonable, fine, for me, this is the kind of excuse you expect from a high schooler, not from someone who could and should be an all time great.

I repeat, Allen has very few turnovers in the playoffs.  You can't be at the top of your game all the time, but that says if he is prepared and focussed he can be much more consistent.

Edited by Billy Claude

19 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I am saying if any other qb says this they would get laughed at.   I am sure teams don't play Kyler Murray the same way as other qbs either.

If you feel that is reasonable, fine, for me, this is the kind of excuse you expect from a high schooler, not from someone who could and should be an all time great.

I repeat, Allen has very few turnovers in the playoffs.  You can't be at the top of your game all the time, but that says if he is prepared and focussed he can be more consistent.

Listen he certainly can be more dialed in... He's very relaxed at times which is what you want but he's too relaxed at times 

When he is focused he is the best in the world ... Remember he's 27.. i have no doubt with maturity he will be the best at 30

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen he certainly can be more dialed in... He's very relaxed at times which is what you want but he's too relaxed at times 

When he is focused he is the best in the world ... Remember he's 27.. i have no doubt with maturity he will be the best at 30

OK, then we partially agree then.

I just find his explanations, i.e., excuses, for not watching film cringe-worthy.  My test is to put the words into the mouth of Kyler Murray and ask how people would respond to that.   Kyler Murray watches film too with his coaches etc.., what Murray was not watching was the stuff they told him to review on his own.  If it was that noticeable thatthe others QBs in the Bill's QB room were teasing Allen about it and that McAfee heard about it,  Allen must have watched very little film indeed. Hopefully with the ex-gf and Diggs drama gone, it will be easier for Allen to focus.

I feel that all those QBs working out with their receivers stuff is just for show anyway.  Even if Allen had wanted to, chances are Diggs wouldn't have shown up and all you would get is questions about why Diggs wasn't there.  

Edited by Billy Claude

14 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

OK, then we partially agree then.

I just find his explanations, i.e., excuses, for not watching film cringe-worthy.  My test is to put the words into the mouth of Kyler Murray and ask how people would respond to that.   Kyler Murray watches film too with his coaches etc.., what Murray was not watching was the stuff they told him to review on his own.  If it was that noticeable thatthe others QBs in the Bill's QB room were teasing Allen about it and that McAfee heard about it,  Allen must have watched very little film indeed. Hopefully with the ex-gf and Diggs drama gone, it will be easier for Allen to focus.

I don't think they are close to being the same case

These NFL teams have recorders which know how long players watch film for...

Kyler Murray watched very little film.. so much so they put it into his contract he had to.. Johnny manziel when they reviewed watched zero film

Josh Allen has statistically became elite in the short game... Impossible to do unless you do a lot of film work

There is a difference between watching film on your upcoming opponent... And watching NFL film in general

His week-to-week opponent doesn't matter as much because he is played so uniquely... What he needs to do is watch tape of how ,30 other teams has played him across years

Which he obviously does because he's a world-class quarterback

Watching clips of the Patriots versus the jaguars doesn't do much... He needs to watch clips of the Patriots versus Josh Allen

Because he is played so uniquely

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think they are close to being the same case

These NFL teams have recorders which know how long players watch film for...

Kyler Murray watched very little film.. so much so they put it into his contract he had to.. Johnny manziel when they reviewed watched zero film

Josh Allen has statistically became elite in the short game... Impossible to do unless you do a lot of film work

There is a difference between watching film on your upcoming opponent... And watching NFL film in general

His week-to-week opponent doesn't matter as much because he is played so uniquely... What he needs to do is watch tape of how 25 other teams has played him across years

Which he obviously does because he's a world-class quarterback

I have to disagree  Not that Allen is not a world class quarterback, that this by itself means he definitely must be watching enough film.  I agree that he is probably not watching it at Johnny Manziel level.  I hate to always go back to the same point, but teams play Kyler Murray uniquely also. Allen's film watching habits were so poor that his friends in the Bills QB room tease him about it and a very friendly interviewer asks him about it, that must have been pretty noticeable indeed.

I am not aware that he is statistically elite in the short game.  I have not looked at the data but it doesn't seem like it from the eye-test, which of course could be wrong.  I agree that he definitely looked better in the short game after Brady came in and there were some games where the short game really looked very good.

Edited by Billy Claude

6 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I have to disagree  Not that Allen is not a world class quarterback, that this by itself means he definitely must be watching enough film.  I agree that he is probably not watching it at Johnny Manziel level.  I hate to always go back to the same point, but teams play Kyler Murray uniquely also. Allen's film watching habits were so poor that his friends in the Bills QB room tease him about it and a very friendly interviewer asks him about it, that must have been pretty noticeable indeed.

I am not aware that he is statistically elite in the short game.  I have not looked at the data but it doesn't seem like it from the eye-test, which of course could be wrong.  I agree that he definitely looked better in the short game after Brady came in and there were some games where the short game really looked very good.

He has been statistically elite in the short game since year three... 

It's dipped a little bit since Beasley has gone but still in the top echelon of NFL quarterbacks

He's on Pace to have the most touchdowns in NFL history... We need to start supporting the most talented player in the NFL.. not knocking a few of his faults

Which are more quirks that he never got to work out on the bench... So they pop up under stressful situations

The longer professional quarterback has to learn without being thrown to the fire he can work out bad quirks.. Josh was thrown to the fire, survived, became a star... But he still has quirks

Edited by Buffalo716

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's dipped a little bit since Beasley has gone but still in the top echelon of NFL quarterbacks

He's on Pace to have the most touchdowns in NFL history... We need to start supporting the most talented player in the NFL.. not knocking a few of his faults

Which are more quirks that he never got to work out on the bench... So they pop up under stressful situations

The longer professional quarterback has to learn without being thrown to the fire he can work out bad quirks.. Josh was thrown to the fire, survived, became a star... But he still has quirks

I am not saying Allen is not a elite QB.   He 100% is, I feel he is the second  best QB in the league.  I can't regard Burrows as second best since he misses a third of the games and is hobbling and ineffective for another third.

What I  don't understand is the concept of (A) Allen being pretty much perfect as he is (which you are not saying), or (B) somehow, if he tries to improve on the things he is not good it, it would kill his game.

I guess I don't know what short game statistics you are talking about.   To me, statistically elite in the short game would mean getting the ball out quickly and hitting receivers in stride so that they have good YAC.   Both of those have never been  Allen's strong points and I see very little evidence that it is getting a lot better, except for a game or two here and there.  Ok. maybe qualify it a litte, it did look a litte better under Brady though I would need to see more games before we can say anything.

Edited by Billy Claude

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

That's literally the argument you made against Allen.....  unless you were just pointing out an argument without believing it? The tone of your post suggested to me that you thought Allen is not working hard in the offseason. Apologies if I misunderstood

Mahomes has been the best QB in the league since 2018 and Allen has been the 2nd best since 2020. Those were also their best individual seasons. It's technically true to say they haven't improved since those seasons, but it's an incredibly disingenuous argument to make.

My point was not a statistical one.

I asked if anyone thought he was “better as a passer,” earlier upthread compared to 2020. 

So I will ask you again. Do you think Josh Allen has gotten better as a passer since 2020?

I think numbers can be very dependent on the talent level of your team. I could easily forsee a situation where Allen is a better QB in 2024 but it’s not reflected in his numbers because he no longer has the elite #1 WR he has had in seasons past. There are many facets of a QB’s game, and lots of things they can tighten up on over the course of their careers.

Brady is a perfect example. Did he regress in 2019 and turn back into an elite player in 2020? Or was he the same guy with a complete overhaul in talent around him? 

13 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I am not saying Allen is not a elite QB.   He 100% is, I feel he is the second  best QB in the league.  I can't regard Burrows as second best since he misses a third of the games and is hobbling and ineffective for another third.

What I  don't understand is the concept of (A) Allen being pretty much perfect as he is (which you are not saying), or (B) somehow, if he tries to improve on the things he is not good it, it would kill his game.

I guess I don't know what short game statistics you are talking about.   To me, statistically elite in the short game would mean getting the ball out quickly and hitting receivers in stride so that they have good YAC.   Both of those have never been  Allen's strong points and I see very little evidence that it is getting a lot better, except for a game or two here and there.  Ok. maybe qualify it a litte, it did look a litte better under Brady though I would need to see more games before we can say anything.

Of course he can improve.. Tom Brady could improve so could Peyton Manning

Josh Allen went from a short game weakness his first few years... To leading the AFC in pass rating and completion percentage under 10 yards by year three

I'd say that is Master class improvement

He certainly can improve and he has gotten better at areas of his game every single year even if stats don't show it

I've been adamant he will be all world by 30 or 31.. he will have 60 passing touchdowns

I've said it here before and I'll throw it out again

Josh Allen at age 31 season will have 60 touchdowns

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The most supportive thing we can do is support him to continue improving and working on his game to achieve the ultimate goal, isn’t it?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The most supportive thing we can do is support him to continue improving and working on his game to achieve the ultimate goal, isn’t it?

To think he doesn't work his ass off as crazy.. he certainly has one of the best work ethics ever seeing he went from zero star recruit to NFL superstar

He's allowed to have a life

And yes I want him to keep improving because he can be the best the world has ever seen

Edited by Buffalo716

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course he can improve.. Tom Brady could improve so could Peyton Manning

Josh Allen went from a short game weakness his first few years... To leading the AFC in pass rating and completion percentage under 10 yards by year three

I'd say that is Master class improvement

He certainly can improve and he has gotten better at areas of his game every single year even if stats don't show it

I've been adamant he will be all world by 30 or 31.. he will have 60 passing touchdowns

I had assumed you were talking about his short game statistics the two or three seasons where he was pretty much last in YAC.  No one is arguing that he didn't improve in all facets of his game from 1998 to 2000.   Note that 2000 was also the year that he spent pretty much a whole month in lock down where he did nothing but eat and sleep football.

Edited by Billy Claude

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has never thrown for 40 TDs in is career but you think he’ll have 60 four years from now? Maybe if he’s the type of personality that dedicates himself to being the best ever he might have chance. At the rate he’s going he has a better chance to get his golf index down to 2 by age 31 than throwing for 60 TDs. 

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

As long as we have Josh, we're fine.

Yes. We’ll be fine winning the division and getting knocked out in the playoffs. The Bears, Falcons, Colts would love to be us. 

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

He has never thrown for 40 TDs in is career but you think he’ll have 60 four years from now? Maybe if he’s the type of personality that dedicates himself to being the best ever he might have chance. At the rate he’s going he has a better chance to get his golf index down to 2 by age 31 than throwing for 60 TDs. 

Yes. We’ll be fine winning the division and getting knocked out in the playoffs. The Bears, Falcons, Colts would love to be us. 

So what are you saying the Bills should do to push through? Trade Josh?

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

No. I’m saying we can do a lot better as a team. Including Allen. 

You're just assuming, as is everyone in the thread, that Josh can do better. That he isn't at his peak. If he is, he's still more than good enough to win the Super Bowl. The question is are the players and coaching around him.

Edited by UKBillFan

Josh Allen is not a hard worker in the mold of Brady, Manning or Montana.

He's more of a roethlisberger, elway, kind of guy who just relies on his physical gifts.

It shows in his play. He's kind of bad at pre snap reads and REALLY bad at post snap reads but gets away with it because of his physical gifts. What that means is that in a few years when those gifts deteriorate, his play will crater.

Is what it is.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Brand J said:

That opening Jets game last year was striking to me because I didn’t think a 6 year superstar QB could still play that badly.

Mahomes played that badly in a couple games too. He was the main reason they lost to the Broncos and Raiders, and almost lost to the Jets. You have to accept that Allen and Mahomes are never going to be as consistent as Brady was. But when they're at the top of their game they're better than anyone that's ever done it.

A lot of Bills fans have, well, Bills fan syndrome where they only watch every snap that our guy takes and only highlights of the other guy. That skews perceptions. But on the whole Allen and Mahomes have been pretty much equivalent QBs since 2021 in terms of their actual play on the field.

I don't know what Allen's workout regiment looks like. He started the season with bad games in 2021 and 2023, but started with excellent games in 2020 and 2022. There's no pattern to discern. All I know is a QB doesn't produce like he has without seriously working at it. And his play undoubtedly has been Super Bowl caliber. It's now a matter of the rest of the team catching up to him.

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He's more of a roethlisberger, elway, kind of guy who just relies on his physical gifts.

It shows in his play. He's kind of bad at pre snap reads and REALLY bad at post snap reads but gets away with it because of his physical gifts. What that means is that in a few years when those gifts deteriorate, his play will crater.

Is what it is.

Funny...Elway got better once he was in the WCO amd Shanahan. He didn't get worse.

It fascinates me that fans are bitching about the offseason habits of, at worst, a top 3 QB in the NFL.

Who BTW, led the NFL in total touchdowns despite having a total assclown for an OC the 1st half of the season along with a primadona #2 WR being a douche  while getting paid like a #1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Funny...Elway got better once he was in the WCO amd Shanahan. He didn't get worse.

It fascinates me that fans are bitching about the offseason habits of, at worst, a top 3 QB in the NFL.

Who BTW, led the NFL in total touchdowns despite having a total assclown for an OC the 1st half of the season along with a primadona #2 WR being a douche  while getting paid like a #1.

Nobody is saying he isn't a top 3 QB. What they are saying is Allen is not a Brady or Mahomes or Stroud that spends a lot of time watching film. Nothing wrong with that. He relies a lot on his physical skills. 

• Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Imagine what he could do if he had the film study habits of Brady 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think Mahomes has improved since 2018, personally.

He had that weird stretch of 2021 where teams forced him to be disciplined and play more in the system and take easy throws, and he struggled for awhile before coming out the other side. 

How has Mahomes improved out of curiosity?

His TDS are way down and his turnovers were up last year.

Now I am not that closed minded and just look at "stats".

A lot of those reasons why those stats are going the opposite way is because he had way more playmakers in 2018/2020 compared to 2023.

But He doesn't have as many special plays and he forces the ball into tighter areas which results in more negative plays.

That part ^is objective and you can't argue that.

Now how much of that is him vs the lack of playmakers around him compared to 2018-2020? That's the big question .

But there is absolutely nothing quantifiable to say he has improved. (And please don't say "he has won SBs" , because football is the ultimate team game and it's such a lazy argument )

Edited by BillsFan130

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

How has Mahomes improved out of curiosity?

His TDS are way down and his turnovers were up last year.

Now I am not that closed minded and just look at "stats".

A lot of those reasons why those stats are going the opposite way is because he had way more playmakers in 2018/2020 compared to 2023.

But He doesn't have as many special plays and he forces the ball into tighter areas which results in more negative plays.

That part ^is objective and you can't argue that.

Now how much of that is him vs the lack of playmakers around him compared to 2018-2020? That's the big question .

But there is absolutely nothing quantifiable to say he has improved. (And please don't say "he has won SBs" , because football is the ultimate team game and it's such a lazy argument )

Imo, he has gotten much better at playing within the system. 

When Mahomes first came on the scene, he was able to play outside of structure and make teams pay for giving him big plays down field.

Around 2021, teams basically forced him to play in the system. They switched to majority deep shell coverage, and made him be patient (not dissimilar to what they have done with Josh).

Mahomes initially struggled, culminating in getting CRUSHED by the Titans in October. 

Then, of course, they get rid of Hill, Kelce gets old and he has to pick his spots much more carefully. And he has.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imo, he has gotten much better at playing within the system. 

When Mahomes first came on the scene, he was able to play outside of structure and make teams pay for giving him big plays down field.

Around 2021, teams basically forced him to play in the system. They switched to majority deep shell coverage, and made him be patient (not dissimilar to what they have done with Josh).

Mahomes initially struggled, culminating in getting CRUSHED by the Titans in October. 

Then, of course, they get rid of Hill, Kelce gets old and he has to pick his spots much more carefully. And he has.

I definitely agree with most of that, but I'm not sure how you can say he's improved overall.

I am not saying he got worse as he set the bar ridiculously high.

But improved from His MVP seasons? No way IMO.

He had 27 TDs last season. Teams play Josh the same they play Mahomes for the most part and Josh had 44 

Edited by BillsFan130

35 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I definitely agree with most of that, but I'm not sure how you can say he's improved overall.

I am not saying he got worse as he set the bar ridiculously high.

But improved from His MVP seasons? No way IMO.

He had 27 TDs last season. Teams play Josh the same they play Mahomes for the most part and Josh had 44 

So if Josh’s production takes a dip this year because he has no WR’s to throw to, he’s a worse QB?

I don’t agree with that.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Is what it is.

Right-o, that's why he played a legendary game in NE where the Bills scored a TD on every drive - because he's "kind of bad" at pre-snap reads and "really bad" at post snap reads.

Whatever you say

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Patrick Mahomes currently doing the same with his receivers 

https://atozsports.com/kansas-city/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-texas-throwing-session-nikko-remigio-justyn-ross-irv-smith-brock-bowers/

Meanwhile Josh is on a golf course somewhere...

Yea its starting to get worrisome, especially learning about his offseason training program and how disorganized he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

14 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Patrick Mahomes currently doing the same with his receivers 

https://atozsports.com/kansas-city/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-texas-throwing-session-nikko-remigio-justyn-ross-irv-smith-brock-bowers/

Meanwhile Josh is on a golf course somewhere...

I’ll admit I am a little skeptical of why we never hear about Josh and the WR’s getting together and working together in the offseason. Maybe that’s why there was such a disconnect between Diggs/Allen and caused friction. Maybe he felt Josh didn’t take things as serious as him. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So if Josh’s production takes a dip this year because he has no WR’s to throw to, he’s a worse QB?

I don’t agree with that.

No , please read my original message where I said it's not all stats. But stats do have to be involved to a certain degree

But 50 plus TdS to 27 last year and you say he's improved?

Thats almost a 50 percent drop off. Not too mention less yards and more turnovers.

I think you have to bring something more to the table opposed to just "he plays better in the system" which is a pretty subjective argument

Edited by BillsFan130