Does Josh Allen still work as hard in the offseason?

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Shakir 2 yards away and having to slow down is open while Diggs being pursued from 5 yards away is.........covered?     

What's the argument?   That *maybe* it's still 3rd and 3 instead of 1st and 10?   They had literally stayed in the game by playing that style of football all day.  

And as for the ASININE argument that Diggs might've dropped the ball.........Shakir might have dropped the ball then too. :doh:  Like I said, it was the longest air yards attempt to him all season and when he had the dropsies in 2022 it was on longer throws.

The level of excuse making for the Bills decision makers in that situation is just comical. :rolleyes:  

It also would’ve been a classic case of scoring too fast. Even if we convert that TD, we give Mahomes enough time to matriculate and rip our hearts out anyway. 

And guess who wouldn’t leave us 2 minutes to score again and win the game. Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Shakir 2 yards away and having to slow down is open while Diggs being pursued from 5 yards away is.........covered?     

What's the argument?   That *maybe* it's still 3rd and 3 instead of 1st and 10?   They had literally stayed in the game by playing that style of football all day.  

And as for the ASININE argument that Diggs might've dropped the ball.........Shakir might have dropped the ball then too. :doh:  Like I said, it was the longest air yards attempt to him all season and when he had the dropsies in 2022 it was on longer throws.

The level of excuse making for the Bills decision makers in that situation is just comical. :rolleyes:  

I didn't say either of them were covered smart guy. They were both open. I never said Diggs would drop the ball either. There is no excuse making. You, yourself, are just an Allen hater and want to act like your armchair QB game is better than his on-field QB game. It's really not, and I know you just can't fathom that anyone other than yourself is right, but I know you'll still carry this flag until your dying day. :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, joemac1114 said:

That can be a pretty good aerobic  workout. 

That’s what I tell my wife…,

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It also would’ve been a classic case of scoring too fast. Even if we convert that TD, we give Mahomes enough time to matriculate and rip our hearts out anyway. 

And guess who wouldn’t leave us 2 minutes to score again and win the game. Mahomes. 

That part is apparently WAYYY to involved for some Bills fans to understand.

For a moment there I thought that the coaching staff and QB actually had a sound f*cking plan and were sticking to it.  But NOPE!  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

That part is apparently is WAYYY to involved for some Bills fans to understand.

For a moment there I thought that the coaching staff and QB actually had a sound f*cking plan and were sticking to it.  But NOPE!  

I believe that they did have a plan and it went off the rails after the Diggs drop and the drive wore on

Would hardly be the first instance of poor game management in the critical moments 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I really don't get how more people don't understand that mindset. It's my biggest problem with the decision making.

It's like a basketball team taking their shot with 12 seconds on the clock instead of dribbling it out. That drive had 2 goals - score and leave no time for Mahomes. After masterfully chewing clock all drive they dumped the plan at the biggest moment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, DrMaxPower said:

I really don't get how more people don't understand that mindset. It's my biggest problem with the decision making.

It's like a basketball team taking their shot with 12 seconds on the clock instead of dribbling it out. That drive had 2 goals - score and leave no time for Mahomes. After masterfully chewing clock all drive they dumped the plan at the biggest moment.

Ok here is my issue w that analysis

I firmly believe the goal was to score early and have the ball last as evidenced by the shot to Diggs. Once that fell through they entered into no man's land on a long drive that was almost certainly fated to leave too much time on the clock...modern NFL drives just don't last 8+mins. It's an impossible ask

As for Allen's decision to go for the TD- it's a true 50/50 for me. Trying to run the clock out there imo is as risky as leaving time for KC to score...it honestly is one of my biggest issues wrt actual football acumen from top to bottom. 

The Bills rn play a naive brand of football that is at odds w properly managing their high leverage situations and the end of the Chiefs game was a perfect example

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are you basing this on Allen doing a lot more commercials then Mahomes in the off season?

No. I’m basing this on Mahomes offseason camps with his receivers. Also the fact that he has already met up KC’s newest signing. The fact that he has time to do this despite making all those commercials is actually impressive. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I firmly believe the goal was to score early and have the ball last as evidenced by the shot to Diggs. Once that fell through they entered into no man's land on a long drive that was almost certainly fated to leave too much time on the clock...modern NFL drives just don't last 8+mins. It's an impossible ask

As for Allen's decision to go for the TD- it's a true 50/50 for me. Trying to run the clock out there imo is as risky as leaving time for KC to score...it honestly is one of my biggest issues wrt actual football acumen from top to bottom. 

The Bills rn play a naive brand of football that is at odds w properly managing their high leverage situations and the end of the Chiefs game was a perfect example

Fair enough.

The way I see it, they'd been playing that slow, ball control offense all game with great success.

While 8 minute drives are certainly unusual, a completion to Diggs would have given them a chance to take it right to the end.

I felt it was an example of not thinking the big picture, which has occurred way too often.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If I remember correctly on the play where Allen went for the TD wasn't Diggs open underneath. If it were me, I would have taken my chances by milking the clock and giving KC very little time left. At that point it was 4 down territory, and the Bills were moving the ball. Also, the Bills injury depleted D hadn't stopped the Chiefs all game and they probably don't if KC gets the ball back with some time on the clock.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrMaxPower said:

Fair enough.

The way I see it, they'd been playing that slow, ball control offense all game with great success.

While 8 minute drives are certainly unusual, a completion to Diggs would have given them a chance to take it right to the end.

I felt it was an example of not thinking the big picture, which has occurred way too often.

They were

I compared it to the football equivalent of a no hitter

It's so difficult to sustain that kind of offense and it ended up costing us in the biggest moment

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If I remember correctly on the play where Allen went for the TD wasn't Diggs open underneath. If it were me, I would have taken my chances by milking the clock and giving KC very little time left. At that point it was 4 down territory, and the Bills were moving the ball. Also, the Bills injury depleted D hadn't stopped the Chiefs all game and they probably don't if KC gets the ball back with some time on the clock.

This is kind of where I think analysis of that play goes a little over the top.

Just the idea that you can script a more methodical approach to that last couple of minutes, so you use all 3 downs for every first down, and time it more or less perfectly so that you finally break through and get a TD with just a few seconds to spare.

Football just isn't like that.  Like I said in my previous post on this, once you get deeper into the red zone, D's tighten up.  Especially a D as good as KC's.  An open Shakir might have been the last good shot we had at a TD, without having to thread the needle or make a much more precise throw.  And there are other risks to not taking that opportunity - maybe there is a holding penalty, or tipped ball for an INT, or sack.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

Just the idea that you can script a more methodical approach to that last couple of minutes, so you use all 3 downs for every first down, and time it more or less perfectly so that you finally break through and get a TD with just a few seconds to spare.

Football just isn't like that.  Like I said in my previous post on this, once you get deeper into the red zone, D's tighten up.  Especially a D as good as KC's.  An open Shakir might have been the last good shot we had at a TD, without having to thread the needle or make a much more precise throw.  And there are other risks to not taking that opportunity - maybe there is a holding penalty, or tipped ball for an INT, or sack.  

Fair point. My thinking is if they score then Mahomes has 1:40 left or so and I didn't trust the Bills D to make a stop. It's a pick your poison situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Gregg said:

Fair point. My thinking is if they score then Mahomes has 1:40 left or so and I didn't trust the Bills D to make a stop. It's a pick your poison situation.

Oh, for sure.  I'd like to think they could buckle down at home and get the stop in that situation - but they really didn't the entire game. 

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Oh, for sure.  I'd like to think they could buckle down at home and get the stop in that situation - but they really didn't the entire game. 

That's the real context for the last drive as compared to the rest of the game

It was really only close because we had somehow offensively managed to small ball our way to a one score game, the defense had been getting dog walked for 3+ quarters prior and we finally folded under that pressure

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Success said:

There’s about 2 minutes of difference between that play and no time left. It would have been probably impossible to score with no time left. I would’ve taken our chances up 4 with 30 seconds left.

IMO the 100% wrong call was kicking the FG. Folks may disagree but tie game with 2 min left with Mahomes is basically a loss. I would’ve put the ball in Josh’s hands on 4th and 9 and won or lost with him.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's the real context for the last drive as compared to the rest of the game

It was really only close because we had somehow offensively managed to small ball our way to a one score game, the defense had been getting dog walked for 3+ quarters prior and we finally folded under that pressure

Except for the game-saving forced fumble by the Dolphins legend.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There’s about 2 minutes of difference between that play and no time left. It would have been probably impossible to score with no time left. I would’ve taken our chances up 4 with 30 seconds left.

IMO the 100% wrong call was kicking the FG. Folks may disagree but tie game with 2 min left with Mahomes is basically a loss. I would’ve put the ball in Josh’s hands on 4th and 9 and won or lost with him.

Except for the game-saving forced fumble by the Dolphins legend.

Yes you make my point

but for the dumbest rule in pro football we aren't even in the game to begin with