Bills sign Taron Johnson to 3-year $31 million extension

Another good but not great player that Beane overpaid and we will be in cap jail down the road because of it.  You just don't give guys like this top money and I'm sure plenty will disagree but it's the big reason why Beane has no young stars on this team.  He is good and maybe worth 6-7 mllion tops of cap space.  The guy has benefited playing in McDermott's soft zones

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Another good but not great player that Beane overpaid and we will be in cap jail down the road because of it.  You just don't give guys like this top money and I'm sure plenty will disagree but it's the big reason why Beane has no young stars on this team.  He is good and maybe worth 6-7 mllion tops of cap space.  The guy has benefited playing in McDermott's soft zones

His ability to play in the box line a LB is why we're and to play the D that we do

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

What deems a player great?

9 minutes ago, damj said:

His ability to play in the box line a LB is why we're and to play the D that we do

Fringe good player,  good but not great and you need guys like this making 5-6 mllion so you can bring in stars.  Beane is heading to another cap jail problem

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Fringe good player,  good but not great and you need guys like this making 5-6 mllion so you can bring in stars.  Beane is heading to another cap jail problem

Fringe? He's an All Pro.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Big fan of Taron, but he had a rough season last year.  I believe he gave up game winning TDs in 3 games while on single coverage.  

So, are you arguing that they shouldn't have extended him, or that the extension is for too much?

Or that the All Pro voters got it wrong?

Or some combination?

14 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Fringe? He's an All Pro.

Don't get me wrong,  I think he is a very good player but not great and he turns 28 in July,  so maybe 2 more good seasons before he beings to decline and you still have him on the books

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Don't get me wrong,  I think he is a very good player but not great and he turns 28 in July,  so maybe 2 more good seasons before he beings to decline and you still have him on the books

You initially said "fringe good player". Now a "very good player"... 😕

Just speculation here, as we don't know what they'll do in the draft, but it seems they are happy to continue with the guys that played big roles when our defense was pretty banged up last year. Which I'm fine with, I just hope there isn't a big drop off, which in theory, there shouldn't be 

16 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

So, are you arguing that they shouldn't have extended him, or that the extension is for too much?

Or that the All Pro voters got it wrong?

Or some combination?

Ummm I’m saying he had a rough season last year and that’s all I’m saying.  

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

We are broke

In the Ralph Wilson days the Buffalo Bills were always broke because he didn’t want to pay anyone. The Buffalo Bills are a large market franchise now with the television money and new Bills stadium on the way. Think of the Buffalo Bills market as Buffalo /Rochester/Erie/Southern Ontario/Toronto along with transplant out of town Buffalonians my point the Bills aren’t broke the Bills operating like a normal NFL team. The Taron Johnson deal is a good deal for the Buffalo Bills in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

In the Ralph Wilson days the Buffalo Bills were always broke because he didn’t want to pay anyone. The Buffalo Bills are a large market franchise now with the television money and new Bills stadium on the way. Think of the Buffalo Bills market as Buffalo /Rochester/Erie/Southern Ontario/Toronto along with transplant out of town Buffalonians my point the Bills aren’t broke the Bills operating like a normal NFL team. The Taron Johnson deal is a good deal for the Buffalo Bills in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just curious….how does a stadium that won’t be occupied for almost three years have anything to do with the current status of the Bills as a large market team? 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Bernard, Shakir, Cook, Torrence, Kincaid, Benford….you have no idea what you are talking about.

And not only is Johnson a very good player, he actually allows the Bills to play a certain defense. 

What an awful take by you.

• Agree 3

I'll be surprised pleasantly if fans down the line don't have Beans as whipping boy for how he handled the cap. This for sometime has been the biggest question mark I have about him. When and if this team starts regression and no $$ to change things his reputation will dissolve in large part. Just my opinion.

I think re-signing Taron will allow the Bills to finish top 8 again in 2024.  If they had to replace Taron, I also think the Bills would finish top 8 in 2024.  Not completely sure this is the best use of 10mm of cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Bernard, Shakir, Cook, Torrence, Kincaid, Benford….you have no idea what you are talking about.

And not only is Johnson a very good player, he actually allows the Bills to play a certain defense. 

What an awful take by you.

A certain defense that can't beat KC in the playoffs, cant stop KC for 13 seconds, and can't beat Cincinnati period with Joe B at QB.

It's past time for a change, but that's not coming any time soon.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

A certain defense that can't beat KC in the playoffs, cant stop KC for 13 seconds, and can't beat Cincinnati period with Joe B at QB.

good point

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Taron had a subpar 10-yard shuttle during his combine workout.  

I don’t like this deal one bit. 

Clumsy football player. No way this guy will ever react fast enough to intercept the ball.

2ee01532c37e71850ac411c9ac008709

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'll be surprised pleasantly if fans down the line don't have Beans as whipping boy for how he handled the cap. This for sometime has been the biggest question mark I have about him. When and if this team starts regression and no $$ to change things his reputation will dissolve in large part. Just my opinion.

Bills fans wield whips so often so you would think they would be wearing leather masks to game.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Clumsy football player. No way this guy will ever react fast enough to intercept the ball.

Depends if RB playing QB is the one throwing it.

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think re-signing Taron will allow the Bills to finish top 8 again in 2024.  If they had to replace Taron, I also think the Bills would finish top 8 in 2024.  Not completely sure this is the best use of 10mm of cap space.

His role is much more difficult to fill than you make it out to be. He's basically playing hybrid LB/CB depending on the play call. He's constantly put in vulnerable situations because McDermott knows he can handle it. Once you remove him, you get the same problem we got when Tre White went down - McDermott has to compromise other parts of his defense to cover the area that the missing player is usually covering.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Classic case of don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Taron and Milano are the only two players I look at on defense right now where I say there is effectively zero room for improvement, not without spending a premium asset on a non-premium position. I'm good paying those two their $10M and leaving them alone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I love the grimacing guy in the background who sees what's coming way ahead of time.😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

His role is much more difficult to fill than you make it out to be. He's basically playing hybrid LB/CB depending on the play call. He's constantly put in vulnerable situations because McDermott knows he can handle it. Once you remove him, you get the same problem we got when Tre White went down - McDermott has to compromise other parts of his defense to cover the area that the missing player is usually covering.

I stand by my earlier comment. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

"Cash to the cap" barf 

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How many injuries did they have on defense in that playoff game?  Yes, of course, don’t bring Taron Johnson back. That will solve everything. Letting your good players walk is always the answer. Especially when you have nobody to fill his important role.

Maybe we should trade Allen in your eyes? He hasn’t played well against Cincinnati.  What do you think since you brought up we can’t beat the Bengals.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

How many injuries did they have on defense in that playoff game?  Yes, of course, don’t bring Taron Johnson back. That will solve everything. Letting your good players walk is always the answer. Especially when you have nobody to fill his important role.

Maybe we should trade Allen in your eyes? He hasn’t played well against Cincinnati.  What do you think since you brought up we can’t beat the Bengals.

Where did I say not to bring Johnson back?  Please show me, you can't.  What I said was move him to Safety that allows us to move to a 4-3 and put our best people on the field.

Christ this board sometimes.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Where did I say not to bring Johnson back?  Please show me, you can't.  What I said was move him to Safety that allows us to move to a 4-3 and put our best people on the field.

The irony. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Moving Johnson to safety makes about as much sense as hiring Matt Patricia as your offensive coordinator. Seriously? He's an all pro slot corner lol