Bills sign Mack Hollins

He's a veteran depth signing to play special teams and compete with Shorter at the bottom of the WR rotation. 

Some of you act like this is the first time you've watched a Bills' offseason. Beane signs these types of guys every year in order to give himself options heading into the draft and to act as a backstop if the draft goes against them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't expect he will light the league on fire but this will be the first competent offense Hollins has been a part of since his time with Carr in Oakland.  Good size and speed which is something we have sorely been lacking.  There are a lot of nice catches in traffic and contested catches in his highlight reel.  He has an opportunity to carve out a role in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm trying not to be insulting, but you're making it hard. Saying that the player isn't talented enough to play for a team that's supposed to be a contender IS NOT the same thing as saying that a team CANNOT be a contender if he's on the roster. It's about expectations. This is real basic sentence structure and logic dude. Nothing even to do with football at this point.

With your ability to comprehend, there is nothing you can say that would be insulting.  

I'm not making this hard at all, your logic is jaw droppingly bad where I'm not even sure if you're serious.

If you say a player isn't talented enough to play for a contending team then they would have never played for a contending team.  But he has and has a ring so you're statement of not being good enough to play for a contending team is false.  

You're moving goal posts to not be wrong but you are statement is clearly wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

He's not slow. Maybe watch some of his games if you don't know.

The rest of your post is triggered person gibberish, so I won't waste time trying to point out how ridiculous you come across.

Yeah I watched some vids of him. In the 18! Catches that were on it I think he had a total of 6 rac yards. 

we’ll see, waste of a roster spot imo. Just like Sherfield and Harty before him. But people loved those moves too and they did absolutely nothing. I was right then and time will tell with this one. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

In all seriousness, what is your problem with this signing?  He's been a career STer, he's put up some numbers when he got the chance.  New Jake Kumerow or Trent Sherfield candidate.  Sounds like he's got a bit of a screw loose, which is right on point for a guy who might play gunner.

That's my problem right there. Both those guys were NOT good, and both saw time in the WR 3 role. It's not great. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I watched some vids of him. In the 18! Catches that were on it I think he had a total of 6 rac yards. 

we’ll see, waste of a roster spot imo. Just like Sherfield and Harty before him. But people loved those moves too and they did absolutely nothing. I was right then and time will tell with this one. 

yea, but let’s be real - WR4 and WR5 aren’t guys you expect to do much. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

$1.5m don’t buy you much …which is what Sherfield got and this guy will get paid..

Harty got overpaid ..should have been $2.5m as was also the returner …

Just now, NoSaint said:

yea, but let’s be real - WR4 and WR5 aren’t guys you expect to do much. 

In that case why bother paying a guy a penny more than you need to. Back to my argument that you should’ve the 1-2m from each of these vets your signing and pick some FA rookies off the street and pay them half as much. All while saving a million here and a million there. So then, maybe, if a decent vet is there that might actually make a difference, you can sign him to 6-8m. I’d rather have 5 scrubs at rookie minimum and 1 vet that’s decent on a prove it deal than 6 scrub vets that won’t make a difference. That’s just me I guess. 

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

$1.5m don’t buy you much …which is what Sherfield got and this guy will get paid..

Harty got overpaid ..should have been $2.5m as was also the returner …

Yes. But if you add up Harty and Sherfield money, and maybe the money of 1-2 other guys just like it, you could have had DHop instead of 2 WRs that did absolutely nothing all year. Not to mention guys like Neal, Matakevich, Etc that were terrible on STs anyway so who cares. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

In that case why bother paying a guy a penny more than you need to. Back to my argument that you should’ve the 1-2m from each of these vets your signing and pick some FA rookies off the street and pay them half as much. All while saving a million here and a million there. So then, maybe, if a decent vet is there that might actually make a difference, you can sign him to 6-8m. I’d rather have 5 scrubs at rookie minimum and 1 vet that’s decent on a prove it deal than 6 scrub vets that won’t make a difference. That’s just me I guess. 

The difference here being that he is a proven special teamer, which this team values (arguably overvalues). 

I get what you're saying though and I do think that's a valid argument to be made. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This is an upgrade to Sherfield 

This is like saying "Chick-fil-A is an upgrade to McDonald's".... While it may be true, maybe we'd rather not scarf down ***** fast food of any brand. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sure we will.

I mean, per our scouting this year, combine visits, senior bowl viewing - its not hard to see a clear pattern that they are taking a long hard look at the WRs in this class. 

Couple that with the clear reports that Beane wanted Addison last year

And that they didnt invest big money into Davis to be their long term 2

And that they have even said adding WR talent in the room and getting younger is a must......

I mean, be pessimistic all you want.  But all signs point in the other direction

He sounds like a role player type.  I think fans need to remember that Beane's philosophy is to fill all the holes on the team in free agency so he can focus on drafting BPA.  He knows though that with the lack of room under the cap, he's not going to be able to draft the star power that the team needs at WR.  I don't think signing Hollins lessens the possibility that the Bills draft a WR early at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1