DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

Solid force.  I expect either one of the first picks are Dline.  Jones is a productive bridge player.  Not the long term answer but what you want now.  Like to see a guy added in the rotation that can play both interior positions. 

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Classic Beane move of getting pieces in place before the draft.

The DL still needs work, and I'm sure we'll be drafting DT early. But we at least have a starting 4 in place if the ***** hits the fan and we cant get our targets.

DT and WR in rounds 1 and 2 in whichever order depending who is available.

Re: draft/round 1 and 2

If right guys are there, I think our most impactful strategy should be: RD1 WR and RD2 OC/OG.  

With Daquan back, I think we can find a 1 tech DT in Rd 4-6.  Same for DE4 slot.

I think Beane will grab 1 more DT and DE in FA, sets up depth-wise heading into draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand why the Bills made the move to a degree but I still wouldn't have done it.  This is my least favorite of the FO moves this offseason to date. 

I don't think a 33 year old DT is going to have much in the tank come December/January to impact games, so why bother with the investment?

My preference would have been to give those minutes to a rookie or a younger player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I understand why the Bills made the move to a degree but I still wouldn't have done it.  This is my least favorite of the FO moves this offseason to date. 

I don't think a 33 year old DT is going to have much in the tank come December/January to impact games, so why bother with the investment?

My preference would have been to give those minutes to a rookie or a younger player.

We can always do both.  Re-watch the film on Daquan, he's a beast.  And a likeable guy! 

47 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Didn't Daquan Jones also miss the bengals playoff game?

Yes, and not that this was the only reason we lost, but I am sure it didn't help our run D

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

If you read what I have posted you will see that my only issue has been with the assertion that Jones was playing at an All Pro level and that we could expect that level of play moving forward. Other than that, it’s just people reading what they want into what I wrote. I’m not at fault for that. Feel free to quote anything that I wrote that says otherwise. 

I'm good, we actually agree that he's not All-Pro but it's a good signing.

I think he's more important than you is all. 

🤝

• Like (+1) 2

Anecdotal, but those worried about Jones’ age may do well to recall Linval Joseph coming off the couch at age 35 to play fairly well for us last season. 

While Jones is not Joseph, the guys who thought Joseph could still play are likely the same guys who worked on this deal with Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, julian said:

This is excellent, you know exactly what you’re getting from DQ, he’s been excellent. This is setting up for a WR draft and I’m here for it.

If he can just make it to the end of the season last 2yrs he hasn't helped in the playoffs in 2022 he didn't play vs Cinny and last season he wasn't the same after his injury and played only 40% of snaps .

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I found these graphics to be EXCELLENT when trying to quantify Jones' impact on our defense. It compares the Bills' defensive numbers when Jones was in the lineup vs when he wasn't.

Pretty irrefutable evidence that he had a major positive impact on the Bills defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Not to mention he had a torn pectoral.  It's one of the easiest injuries rehab-wise to come back from in football.  Much different from an ACL tear or ligament damage. 

Is it Doctor?

• Eyeroll 1

Even w/ the cuts we've seen, we've retained more guys than I thought we'd be able to - and the ones we've retained are still playing at a high level.

So far, so good.  There just isn't much we can do in FA this year, but these kinds of signings will go a long way toward staying a contender in '24.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I found these graphics to be EXCELLENT when trying to quantify Jones' impact on our defense. It compares the Bills' defensive numbers when Jones was in the lineup vs when he wasn't.

Pretty irrefutable evidence that he had a major positive impact on the Bills defense.

Jones is solid but those numbers could be skewed by how bad his backups were.  When Phillips played, he didn’t even try to hold the point of attack.  Just tried to get in the backfield without any regard for the run game.  

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Difference Jones has made in the playoff the last 2 seasons?  None.

46 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Jones is solid but those numbers could be skewed by how bad his backups were.  When Phillips played, he didn’t even try to hold the point of attack.  Just tried to get in the backfield without any regard for the run game.  

There’s also a reality that an additional .6 plays made in the backfield per game is nebulous to tie to 5 ppg in scoring right? Even if he accounts for most of that 0.6 plays (which without looking could’ve been matchup advantages, other injuries such as the gap between tre and Douglas, for instance), etc… 

I like the player but not sure he’s the unicorn some portray using stats like those 

Edited by NoSaint

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The better your rush defense the worse it is for you because it discourages opponents from rushing and encourages them to pass, and passing is better, smarter, more efficient. Bad rush defense is better than good rush defense because it encourages rushing, and rushing a lot is a stupid move for the offense. The goal is to win not to be ranked #1 in useless statistical categories.

#SometimesHotTakesAreRightTho