DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

5 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

He is older but was playing at all pro level before pec injury.  He makes Ed and Milano better. 

No. That’s insane. I mean, Daquan was playing well for us and I’m glad he’s back and all. He’s a good player. But he was never playing anywhere close to an “All Pro” level. If he was capable of playing like Aaron Donald, Frank Clark, Chris Jones or Justin Madibuke, then he’d be getting $25M-$30M a season like they are. He’s getting $8M (or up to $8M). 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wouldn't call Day 2 of the legal tampering period, "The Second Wave of Free Agency". Especially when it comes to WR. Outside of Gabe Davis, there wasn't any big WR deals signed today. That market is still largely untouched.

Mike Evans reupped, so did Michael Pittman.  Gabe signed.  Tee is franchised, and demanding a trade.  That is the top 4 WRs, and the top end of WR market has been set.  Samual, Mooney, etc will get second tier $, after they sign, then it's the third tier IMO.  This is the deepest WR draft ever.  So many teams will save $ and look to draft to stock WR spots

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, babulator said:

I'm perplexed at all the Daquan haters... have you not watched the tape? He's been an absolute beast when he's on the field. Seems we got him at a reasonable cost and for the right length of time. This is a good signing.

https://youtu.be/A9C4IvPD7eg?si=DaMSBCauuvk0lklo

https://www.youtube.com/live/KclB_PgRpqg?si=mHStd0pIeOgENLps

I think it’s people with shiny new toy syndrome.  They just want a different name regardless who it is 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No. That’s insane. I mean, Daquan was playing well for us and I’m glad he’s back and all. He’s a good player. But he was never playing anywhere close to an “All Pro” level. If he was capable of playing like Aaron Donald, Frank Clark, Chris Jones or Justin Madibuke, then he’d be getting $25M-$30M a season like they are. He’s getting $8M (or up to $8M). 

Daquan led the NFL in interior pressure rate when he got hurt. 

The eye test works as well.  The Bills D is noticeably better when Daquan is playing

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

While I agree Jones doesn’t make the same type of plays those other players make, he is a very impactful player in the Bills system. DT playing one technique in McD’s D is extremely important. Whenever the 1T is playing well, the entire D looks better. Honestly not sure there is a more important position in this defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

I like Jones but he is turning 33 this year and this seems a little too much for a player that is good but on the wrong side of 30. 

End of the day this is a roster that is filled with too guys making big money and only one real star.  Either Beane is terrible at managing the cap or McDermott pushes him to keeping guys he likes by overpaying. Yes we overpay fringe players and that is why were one of worse teams in the league for being over the cap. We may make the playoffs but will struggle when we get there.  

Edited by Niagara Dude
spelling
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Mike Evans reupped, so did Michael Pittman.  Gabe signed.  Tee is franchised, and demanding a trade.  That is the top 4 WRs, and the top end of WR market has been set.  Samual, Mooney, etc will get second tier $, after they sign, then it's the third tier IMO.  This is the deepest WR draft ever.  So many teams will save $ and look to draft to stock WR spots

Higgins and Pittman came off the market weeks ago. Evans a number of days ago. I'm simply talking about the WR market at the start of FA.

Davis is the only major one to come off the board. Calvin Ridley was considered on almost any list as more valuable than Gabe Davis and more expensive. Many had Hollywood Brown above Davis as well. Mooney will definitely be paid more than you'd think. Tyler Boyd, Curtis Samuel, OBJ, DJ Chark, Josh Reynolds, MVS, Mecole Hardman - a number of them are going to get paid decently as well.

Don't think just because there wasn't much movement in the market today that everyone is just going to be signing 2nd and 3rd tier contracts now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I guess this is good.  He was huge for us when he is healthy..But it just feels like a lot of run it back of the same? Focus on the D , with our own guys.

It’s easy to be comfortable with this..Because it’s all we know in this regime.  But maybe we need to get a bit more uncomfortable at times. 

We still need a Safety and with some interesting options available I even wonder if they will look outside the organization? 

Maybe we didn’t really need to rush and sign Hack and Rapp and explored some other options. 

I guess right now I just feel underwhelmed and I know the cap has a lot to with it. But you still choose where to put your money at Free Agency and fill out the rest in the draft. 

Each offseason, If I could ask Beane one question it would be ,  Are you doing enough for Josh?

Last year he took the approach of not trying to bring in a Hopkins type player  but spent money on a couple players like Harty and Sherfield who he thought could be something. I even bought In, but at the end of the day, they were not really anything more than they had shown in their career to date. 

Right now we basically have lost two good Olineman and have yet to settle another Wr.. and need another big  back behind Cook. 

I am thinking Beane has his Guy at Wr  in the draft , and will make moves to get him. Or draft 2 , honestly i want to see some playmakers at the position to compliment Diggs.. But I’m in the wait and see mode on this offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. 

McDermott values leadership in every room.  Oliver isn't the guy, at least not yet.  

• Eyeroll 1

Yes, prior to injury. And now he's 32 playing one of the most physically taxing positions. Are we going to be able to count on him in January?

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

So tell me you wanted to get younger at the position. Good younger Wilkins got the 27M in cap space for him?  

fact is your YOUTH is coming in the draft. 

maybe you haven’t seen the cost trend on DTs in the modern league. Why do you think OGs are getting PAID this year. 

Edited by MAJBobby

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Daquan led the NFL in interior pressure rate when he got hurt. 

The eye test works as well.  The Bills D is noticeably better when Daquan is playing

For four games he had a very high pressure rate. Games against the Jets, Commanders, Raiders and Dolphins. So rather than think that his success might be due to the competition he was playing because he’s never had that kind of success before, you just went with the opinion he was playing at an all pro level? Wow. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think it’s people with shiny new toy syndrome.  They just want a different name regardless who it is 

That definitely isn't it. I want the roster to get younger and I want us spending our biggest cap dollars on premium positions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

Happy, if you take what they have done so far, aside from the Jones move, they have gotten younger. The 1 tech market is weird in some ways. Most guys are in that 28-29 year old range. I do hope they go after a Raekwon Davis...26 years old, 6-7, 330. Or a cheaper guy like Leki Fotu, 25 years old, a disappointment in Arizona (who isn't?) so should be cheap and he's 6-5 335. They can still add to the group, and they have to. I am good with the Jones add as long as they don't continue to add a bunch of 32-year-old guys to the DL group. 

Epenesa replaces Floyd. He will be 26 in September and Floyd will be 32. I don't love Epenesa, but there seems to be some upside and the deal is super fair. Do I wish they had a 3rd and did that Brian Burns trade? Absolutely. 

I don't like the Cam Lewis signing, I think he is a minimum guy, but on the surface, he is more or less replacing Siran Neal. Lewis will be 27 this Spring and Neal will be 30. They did technically get cheaper here as well. 

We don't know what Rapp is going to be, but assuming he is replacing Poyer he is 26 (27 in December) and Poyer will be 33 this Spring. But they seem to like Rapp and a lot of the news coming out last offseason when he signed is that Bills engaged with him early as he was going to be the Poyer replacement. Then Poyer came back for a small contract and they still signed Rapp anyway. I think this year was Rapp's tryout period and they like the way he fits. They also got cheaper here. 

David Edwards will be 27 years old next week. Morse will be 32 in April. They got cheaper here as well and I have always liked Edwards quite a bit. I think this is likely an upgrade as long as he stays healthy.  

Nothing here is earth-shattering and aside from Jones, they did get significantly younger in multiple spots.

They still have to add WRs, and DL, as well as another starting safety. If they add a FA WR he is very unlikely to be younger than Gabe Davis who is only 25. But there are opportunities to get younger at those other positions. I do think the plan is to get younger and cheaper, but Jones is the exception so far. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

😵‍💫

• Dislike 1