Knox "Reworks" Deal Frees Cap

MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

Teams are more willing to eat dead cap nowadays and the Bills could've cut Von post 6/1.  Or maybe Von wants to be a GM and respects Beane enough with the shadowing he's done of him to agree to this, knowing his future aspirations. 

Knox, not sure about his situation because we haven't seen the details yet. 

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

They want to win and know Beane needs more room to bring in more ringers? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Because what the Bills are offering is higher than what they’d get on the open market. No one is giving Von Miller $8M

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It is a paycut. Players do it all the time if they know the alternative is a release and the risk of having to accept an even worse salary.

And typically I am against the paycuts Beane gives out, historically they have still ended up being a waste of money. But in this case it was the only realistic means of saving money on Knox's contract without tying up more future money.

If they get released and signed somewhere else they still get paid, that's why there's dead money right? Yes though players will make deals to stay on teams when they're on the edge of rosters, Knox is not on the edge of NFL rosters. Typically what's common is they move money around and the players actually benefit more from the restructure in some way and the can is kicked down the road, but they don't lose money.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ever…..one of our players doing exactly that last week

As for Von the thing I could see him doing is he actually is getting close to the edge of the roster with his injury and off-field situation. Him changing things up is about putting himself in a position to have a shot at another season to secure his spot and with incentives to make up for it.

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

Now imagine you’re the next guy they approach about signing a contract with them.

We've run the gauntlet over the years with Ralph Wilson indulging John Butler's over-spending in the late 1990's and then 15 years of mostly cash-to-the-cap after that followed by Pegula indulging Beane's over-spending.    Anyone who has been a Bills fan for 25 years or so knows that in the end your statement doesn't actually mean anything.    Players all think they are the exception and agents all know that it's pretty much the same everywhere(by design).    If the up front money is right and you have a franchise QB like Josh Allen you will be an attractive organization to play for.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

It's the Josh Effect. Especially for Knox.

Sure, he could get released, and go to a worse team, and have to move and learn a new system in a new place.

Or he can sit on the ~$25M he's already earned, take a pay cut now and only make a few million instead of 10 million, and stay with a winning team and one of the best QBs in the league, where he already lives and has the best opportunity for success.

If Knox got released and ended up on a bad team, his career is probably over in 2-3 years. Here, he could play another 4-6. And win a SB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was told a couple weeks ago Knox was approached about a paycut. I'm not sure what leverage we used considering his dead money hit would have been higher than his normal cap hit, but I'm glad to see he accepted the paycut. Perhaps we threatened a release with a post-6/1 designation?

Glad to see Beane being especially ruthless this offseason. It is a necessary change.

Who told you this?

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

With VM, maybe there are still some unresolved issues behind the scenes with his domestic violence situation that the team knows and we don't which don't leave him and his agent in the best negotiating position? Could be any number of reasons.

46 minutes ago, Process said:

Love Dawson but it's pretty crazy that he was counting $14.4M against the cap in the first place. Stuff like that is why we are in this mess. 

What mess? Thr Bills are completely fine.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1. "To keep him in Buffalo" sounds like the alternative was getting cut.
2. Knox is no dummy; he saw that Kincaid set a Bills' record for TE receptions as a rookie. Kincaid is the new #1 TE and Knox knows if he rides out another year with 300 yards and gets cut, he's looking at a pretty low deal — and maybe from a team without a franchise QB.

3. With future HOFer Miller taking a pay cut and several cherished veterans getting cut from the team, it's easier for other guys to take a pay hit as he's not the only one. It's a psychology thing: you don't want to be the only one but if it's happening across the board, it's ok.

I will puke in my mouth if he's keeping all his money but we're just pushing it down the road but I hope and suspect that's not the case. 

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Happy has his connections at OBD. That's been established here.

It's Buffalo. 2 degrees of separation at most.

Really?  What evidence has there been?  I must have missed that

• Eyeroll 1

I love Knox. 

I still think he had been criminally underused by our OCs. 

He has all the tools to be just as good as the elite TEs. Yss his hands are gross at times. But his run after catch is very good. 

Truly hope they find the magic of the two TE set next year. It can be lethal especially with a viable run threat from the OL and Cook

• Like (+1) 8

46 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, key word there is "reworked". If it's a pay cut like Von took, Id be happy about that. Let's see how much this saves...but solid move to make 

His co tract had a $5M roster bonus that guaranteed last year. I’m sure that got converted to a SB. Not sure what else they did tho. Some of his salary could’ve also been converted. Or maybe a pay cut offset by additional guarantees and/or incentives. Just have to wait and see. 

Just now, JohnNord said:

Really?  What evidence has there been?  I must have missed that

Just pay attention to posts? You're taking it a bit too seriously, especially because no one will ever reveal their sources, for good reason.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I love Knox. 

I still think he had been criminally underused by our OCs. 

He has all the tools to be just as good as the elite TEs. Yss his hands are gross at times. But his run after catch is very good. 

Truly hope they find the magic of the two TE set next year. It can be lethal especially with a viable run threat from the OL and Cook

He's our most reliable Red Zone weapon. And the Bills are something ridiculous like 20-0 in games he has a TD catch.

• Awesome! (+1) 1