Knox "Reworks" Deal Frees Cap

MAJBobby

5 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

Because they are true team players that want to WIN in Buffalo, and have a unique set of principles 

Yup and some point these guys have "enough money".

Von for sure. Dawson not nearly as much, but with some self restraint (and commonsense investing), his family is/will be set for many generations as well.

Hey, Dawg....we gotta talk.  Things have changed since we did that deal.  You know you're not worth 14 million a year.  We thought you'd be a 60 catch 8 TD guy, but that ain't in the cards.  What say we drop down to about half, and put in some juice if you hit certain incentives?  if you get to 60 catches and 8 td's we'll get you to 14.  Earn it, bro.

Knox:  Seems fair.  I love playing here.  Let's do it.  

2 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hey, Dawg....we gotta talk.  Things have changed since we did that deal.  You know you're not worth 14 million a year.  We thought you'd be a 60 catch 8 TD guy, but that ain't in the cards.  What say we drop down to about half, and put in some juice if you hit certain incentives?  if you get to 60 catches and 8 td's we'll get you to 14.  Earn it, bro.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

• Haha (+1) 1

Details are in:

https://overthecap.com/player/dawson-knox/7887

He went from a $14.3M cap hit in 2024 to a $7.7M cap hit. So $6.6M in savings this year.

His cap hit in 2025 year is also slightly cheaper, by about $1.4M.

The one downside is it's harder to get out of his contract in 2025. Cutting him pre-6/1 next year will now actually cost us more, whereas before it would have saved us money. Most likely scenario I think is we designate him as a post-6/1 cut next offseason. I don't think we will keep him for a $14M cap hit next year.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Details are in:

He went from a $14.3M cap hit in 2024 to a $7.7M cap hit. So $6.6M in savings this year.

The one downside is it's harder to get out of his contract in 2025. Cutting him pre-6/1 next year will now actually cost us more, whereas before it would have saved us money. Most likely scenario I think is we designate him as a post-6/1 cut next offseason. I don't think we will keep him for a $14M cap hit next year.

We also added two void years to his contract, $2.33M in 2027, $1.17M in 2028.

The actual pay cut he took was probably for around $3M in real cash.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Details are in:

Not had a chance to look what does it do to a 2025 trade? To me that is the most likely option. Moving him for a 5th or something.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We also added two void years to his contract, $2.33M in 2027, $1.17M in 2028.

The actual pay cut he took was probably for around $3M in real cash.

lol why they ever give him that deal in the first place is completely beyond me

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not had a chance to look what does it do to a 2025 trade? To me that is the most likely option. Moving him for a 5th or something.

Good point. We would take a $12.47M dead cap hit, which would be $1.6M in savings. I'm not sure what the trading team would owe him, that would determine his trade value.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Good point. We would take a $12.47M dead cap hit, which would be $1.6M in savings. I'm not sure what the trading team would owe him, that would determine his trade value.

Yea. He still has starting tight end value. So as long as the receiving team isn't seriously on the hook that is the most likely outcome IMO.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. He still has starting tight end value. So as long as the receiving team isn't seriously on the hook that is the most likely outcome IMO.

how many starting value tight ends out there are taking pay cuts

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

how many starting value tight ends out there are taking pay cuts

I don't know but for instance Dalton Schultz took a below market value last year. It happens. If the Bills made Knox available for trade they would have multiple suitors contract terms allowing.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Details are in:

I get the $3M+ in real pay cut too.

Just my opinion, but I could see Dawson taking another cut next year for more guaranteed money to stay in Buffalo in 2025.

It seems like the thing he would do.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

lol why they ever give him that deal in the first place is completely beyond me

My theory was that we were coming off the heels of the Matt Araiza story and the team was looking for a bit of good will in the locker room. Knox had just lost his brother... it was an immediate infusion of good news at a time when the team needed it. And he came off a year where he scored 9 TDs. They bet on his upside and it unfortunately didn't pay off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know but for instance Dalton Schultz took a below market value last year. It happens. If the Bills made Knox available for trade they would have multiple suitors contract terms allowing.

😂😂Ok

I think his trade value is zero

• Disagree 2

On 3/11/2024 at 10:41 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hey Stefon Diggs, Brandon Beane would like to ask you a question? 

Text chain read like tjis

BB: hey Stef

Diggs:  don’t even think about it

BB:  alright - have a great summer - see you in June!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I get the $3M+ in real pay cut too.

Just my opinion, but I could see Dawson taking another cut next year for more guaranteed money to stay in Buffalo in 2025.

It seems like the thing he would do.

I got a feeling they will trade him next year … he will be better off too… he is still a TE1 on some team and his role in Buffalo is diminished …