Bills re-signing Edwards 2yr/$6M

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He will be their primary guard backup and the jumbo package tackle. I imagine Alec Anderson and a draft pick will end up battling out for backup center. 

will we use him over tommy doyle? doyle did very well as jumbo.

imagine super jumbo. two extra OL

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah. It’s not an overpay at all for a depth piece like Edwards. Yeah they could’ve gone with a minimum salary guy or rookie but now you’re sacrificing experience and/or talent.

There's also a tremendous benefit to Edwards being a known commodity.

He knows Aaron Kromer's system, which by all accounts takes some time.

We know how to use him as a TE3.

He has had time with the starters as a backup guard.

He looked solid with the starters and won a Super Bowl as a starter with the Rams.

Getting all of that for $2.3M is a steal. Crazy to call it an overpay.

• Like (+1) 3

I like the player.

Like the role.

A bit pricey but solidifies the backup OL spot nicely. One less hole to fill. 

Really like the OL group as of now. 

Would take a flyer on a day 3 OT to develop.

Net neutral effect on comp pick formula. He is not a FA lost but also one less FA they would need to sign. 

Can we get rid of the FB now??? This guy takes all the snaps as the third TE. We don't need to waste any money on a FB who is always touted as the emergency 3rd TE. 

13 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Really?  I thought they had Alec Anderson play C in preseason and that he would now be Morse’s backup.

Time will tell. 

I am not a big Anderson guy. He does have some ability and upside. To me, he is only around because he passed through waivers and was on the practice squad. If Nick Broeker had gotten through waivers he would have taken that spot. He has some interesting traits, but I am not sure I throw that dude in for any significant minutes for a team like the Bills. JMO. 

Edit: I didn’t recall that he made the 53 man so I stand corrected! 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Disagree 1

This is a Phenomenal move, said this in Bates thread, that Edwards should be back.

Brady loves his 6 OL and Edwards was extremely effective in that role and wouldn't be sweating if he needed to start on the interior. Great move by BBB 

31 minutes ago, Beast said:

He came in when the Bills went with a big package as, basically, a big blocking tight end. 

Yes and excelled in that role. Brady loved to mix it up with 6 ol, so this is an important piece for the o

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's common to spell out players if they need a rest. Also for use in Jumbo packages.

He was used as 3rd TE in every game. That's where the majority of his snaps came.

He wasn't used in a rotation 

McGovern missed a few plays during the year but not many. Torrence didn't miss any if I recall.

He got some mop up duty when they pulled the starting OL too.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Ideally the backup swing guard is on a day 3 rookie contract. But I'm okay with it. Edwards is a capable spot starter.

Yea I do sort of see the thinking from a resource allocation perspective. I was talking about cost v talent for Edwards.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Really?  I thought they had Alec Anderson play C in preseason and that he would now be Morse’s backup.

Time will tell. 

They did. But if there was a game tomorrow and Morse was out they'd trust the vets IMO. Anderson absolutely has a shot at winning that job out of camp though.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, boyst said:

will we use him over tommy doyle? doyle did very well as jumbo.

imagine super jumbo. two extra OL

If it weren't for Doyle being injured, it might be different.