Bills re-signing Edwards 2yr/$6M

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I already liked the Bates trade, but now I REALLY like it.

Between VanDemark, Edwards, and Alec Anderson, our OL depth is off to a good start.

As for Edwards...any time you can sign a capable guard (who also essentially plays tight end in jumbo sets) to a fair deal, it's always a good day.

Congrats, David "TE3" Edwards.

Any it could be my rose colored glasses, but I loved Gouriage last offseason...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

David Edwards awkwardly passing Poyer, Neal, Morse, and Hardy in the hallway on their way out 

Haha true.

But I'd add that there are probably even more players passing through that hallway today...

With the news about Morse I'm changing my opinion on the Edwards contract. $2.3M for a baseline starter is a good deal. Ideally a rookie or Alec Anderson will beat him out, but now we at least have a solid floor.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

With the news about Morse I'm changing my opinion on the Edwards contract. $2.3M for a baseline starter is a good deal. Ideally a rookie or Alec Anderson will beat him out, but now we at least have a solid floor.

Yea as of right now I imagine McGovern is our starting center and Edwards is starting left guard. Anderson will get a chance to compete as will any draft pick they make.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea as of right now I imagine McGovern is our starting center and Edwards is starting left guard. Anderson will get a chance to compete as will any draft pick they make.

This sounds right to me.  I'm curious about McGovern's experience as a center.  I don't have any knowledge on the subject.  He's a good guard, but a center has to snap the ball and make line calls.  It's not the same, although many players can do both.  I don't know if he's one of them, but I have to assume the Bills know.  I'd like to think they're not going to make a guy the starting center on a contending team if they don't already know that he can play center.  Particularly after trading another player who they know can play center.

Just now, msw2112 said:

This sounds right to me.  I'm curious about McGovern's experience as a center.  I don't have any knowledge on the subject.  He's a good guard, but a center has to snap the ball and make line calls.  It's not the same, although many players can do both.  I don't know if he's one of them, but I have to assume the Bills know.  I'd like to think they're not going to make a guy the starting center on a contending team if they don't already know that he can play center.  Particularly after trading another player who they know can play center.

He played a year of center in college and his first Cowboys starts were at center too. He has played more guard but he has center experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Why would you want anyone to beat him out? Edwards has had some very good years in the NFL what would be great as if he became a solid starter at left guard

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Many saw this coming with the trade of Bates. Really good value for Edwards IMO. 

Needed to keep him with Morse let go and Connor McGovern moving to C.

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

He played a whole year at C in college.  I believe over 800 snaps. 

Over 100 snaps at C in the NFL. 

He is more athletic than Morse.  Weak in run block.  So a good fit. 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:45 AM, Success said:

Beane has done a great job building the line, both starters & depth.

Really, the most important unit when you have a true franchise QB.

Plus Tommy Doyle is coming back as well I believe.  Guy was rising when the ACL happened

• Like (+1) 1