What FA Signings Have Directly Lead to SB Wins?

We’re entering the most ridiculously over-hyped period of the entire NFL calendar (and no, it’s not because I’m bitter that the Bills have zero money to spend on free agents).  

So, when has signing a FA worked to get a team a Super Bowl championship?  Clearly, it’s happened. Reggie White in Green Bay. Brady in Tampa Bay. It took a couple of years but Brees in NO.  Who am I missing?

5 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

We’re entering the most ridiculously over-hyped period of the entire NFL calendar (and no, it’s not because I’m bitter that the Bills have zero money to spend on free agents).  

So, when has signing a FA worked to get a team a Super Bowl championship?  Clearly, it’s happened. Reggie White in Green Bay. Brady in Tampa Bay. It took a couple of years but Brees in NO.  Who am I missing?

Manning in Denver. Although it was Denver's D leading the way to that Super Bowl win as Manning had nothing left in the tank that season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Hill, Ramsey, and a few more in Miami in Miami 

Oh wait. Nevermind. 

Right, those were all trades.

10 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

You could play this game for everything. What Bills draft picks have led to Superbowls? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Aside from what LA did, most obvious examples were Manning and Brady going elsewhere in the twilight of their careers.  Which further points to this being a QB driven league.  I’d say point is don’t break the bank during FA, which the Bills can’t really do this year anyway.

I would say the % of top FAs  that did make a difference to their new team in regards to playoff and SB outcomes is smaller than the the amount of FAs that didn't have a major impact. But thats me just spit balling... I really have no data to back that theory up. 

The best most successful teams always do the bulk of their work in the draft IMO. 

There are a few I can recall.

The biggest ones are probably Drew Brees to the Saints, Peyton Manning to the Broncos and Reggie White to the Packers. Brady to the Bucs and Deion Sanders to the Niners are up there as well imo. Doug Williams with the Skins was a big one as well. 

Nick Foles with the Eagles was huge for them and directly resulted in a championship. 

Kurt Warner signing with the cardinals propelled them to the Super Bowl, and even though they did not win, they almost had no business being there and he took them over the top. 

Dwight Freeney, Alex Mack and Mohamed Sanu were huge pieces during Atlanta’s 28-3 debacle. Again they did not win, but those were huge signings. 

The Bengals signing of Trey Hendrickson was big and propelled their defens einto a Super Bowl spot. Once again, they did not win. 

Tyrann Mathieu was big for the Chiefs a few years ago. 

Michael Bennett with the Seahawks signed from the Bucs. 

Mike Vrabel became a key cog for the Patriots and was signed as a UFA from the Steelers. 

Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson to the Ravens. 

Charles Woodson to the Packers. 

Is free agency overrated and overhyped? Yes. But it is an opportunity to improve your roster. Only one team gets to win the championship, so the majority of the moves made next week will not lead to Super Bowls. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The most recent I can think of that comes close is Von Miller to the Rams via mid-season trade.  Not exactly Free Agency, but he put that Defense over the top. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's not about the FA signing itself so much as it is the situation that Free Agent finds themselves in where they land.  The pieces already have to be in place for a Free Agent signing to put a team over the top to becoming a Super Bowl team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Right, those were all trades.

You could play this game for everything. What Bills draft picks have led to Superbowls? 

and no super bowl.

just a weak attempt to say that a lot of times the FA and trades don't mean as much as people make of them.