Highest-graded quarterbacks from the 2023 NFL season: Josh Allen leads the way (according to PFF)

Peter

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yet another scathing indictment of the Bills brain trust.  This draft better be heavy offense.  Time to go all in on Josh and the offense, while eschewing middling high defensive picks, like Basham, Rousseau, Epenesa, etc.

They don’t need heavy offense though. Entire OL is back and good. TE group is back and good. Starting RB is back and good. We need depth RBs but I doubt that’s what you mean by heavy offense.

The Bills need and will draft a couple WRs. 1 in the 1st 2 rounds and 1 in the middle rounds. I could also see a center and depth RB in the mid-late rounds.

They need cheap labor on defense, those are draft picks. 

And please don’t do your draft board based on Boogie Basham. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Today I like PFF.  

But where did Dodson end up?  Their assessment of his play made no sense to me.  Better than good (not great) against the run, but lost when dropping into coverage.  Middle of the road LB at best, but PFF had him at the top for a good part of the season.

13 hours ago, Peter said:

According to PFF, Josh was the highest graded QB for the 2023 NFL Season:

"Josh Allen stands atop the position: The Bills signal caller beat out 2023 league MVP Lamar Jackson as the highest-graded quarterback in the NFL."

"1. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS: 92.1

While Allen may have missed out on the league MVP, he captured the top spot on this list after orchestrating the highest-graded season of his career. The signal-caller showed elite dual-threat ability, finishing as the only quarterback to surpass an 88.0-plus grade as both a passer (88.5) and runner (91.4)."

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=february_21_2024

We are very fortunate to have Josh as our QB. He is perfect for Buffalo.

The REAL MVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFYzWz9xgqk

Thanks to Casey Honigbaum

• Agree 1

PFFs grading system for Ed Oliver has always kinda confused me as the eye test says he’s been more dominant then their grades indicate….but seeing Josh at number 1 isn’t really a surprise except to the casual fan who just listens to talk show hosts and media personalities constantly badger the guy on his tendency to play hero ball. 
I will agree with what some others have said we are entering his year 28 season and this is a mark against the Bills brain trust who until recently decided maybe we should take care of the offense for a change and not let him be a one man gang.  

12 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Huh….So if Josh were on the Chiefs and would have as many Superbowls, and the Bills would be worse with Mahomes, how does that make Mahomes better?  Or is it that Mahomes just has better infrastructure around him?   Tad confused.

I think I was pretty clear with what I said.

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L

Yes, it does.

29 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think I was pretty clear with what I said.

Yes, it does.

You stated that Mahomes is a better QB than Allen.  - "Josh Allen is not a better QB than Patrick Mahomes." 

So in your QB swap scenario, where you think the Bills would be worse with Mahomes, he would still be a better QB than Allen.

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I feel like pretty much everyone (other than Nick Wright) has come around on JA17 being a generational QB. 

PFF hated him. Now they love him.

Aaron Schatz pre-2018-draft wrote scathing articles about him. He was the only person to give a 1st place vote for MVP for Allen.

I'm just frustrated for Allen more than I even am for myself--and I'm pretty freaking frustrated!!!

Josh Allen is not a better QB than Patrick Mahomes. But if the Bills drafted Patrick Mahomes in 2017 and the Chiefs drafted Josh Allen in 2018, I firmly believe the Chiefs would have won as many Super Bowls or more... I honestly think more. And I think the Bills would have been worse.

I realize that makes me a homer... but I hope you understand that I simultaneously believe that Patrick Mahomes is better than Josh and is inarguably the best QB in the NFL.

I just hope and pray as a frustrated WNYer and as one empathetic to the ultimate underdog in JA17 that in a decade that conversation is arguable.

I'm not sure how Mahomes is indisputably the best but would have less success in Buffalo and Josh would have more success in KC... are you just saying that's how it stands because you can't prove your scenario?

I fully agree with the bold part. I'm tired of having to throw Mahomes out of the argument as undisputed best, then make my arguments for Josh among the leftovers. If we'd just win a few damn SBs, we could actually have them in the same conversation.

12 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You stated that Mahomes is a better QB than Allen.  - "Josh Allen is not a better QB than Patrick Mahomes." 

So in your QB swap scenario, where you think the Bills would be worse with Mahomes, he would still be a better QB than Allen.

No, that's not true

4 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I'm not sure how Mahomes is indisputably the best but would have less success in Buffalo and Josh would have more success in KC... are you just saying that's how it stands because you can't prove your scenario?

I understand that it sounds paradoxical, but I actually think the idea that circumstance, system, surrounding personnel, etc. all play critical roles in what a QB becomes is pretty simple.

Mahomes is a better NFL QB than Josh.

In a vacuum, Josh is better than Mahomes.

All my opinion, of course.

Make sense?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If Allen was the QB of the Cowboys he would get so much more recognition. 

Allen is getting a ton of recognition. How much more can he possibly get? He’s clearly one of a handful that are considered the faces of the league.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They still went against their metrics and gave their MVP to Lamar though.  Even data nerds either fall into groupthink or don’t want to be labeled as racist.

Market size matters.  Playing the story in Buffalo doesn't get enough clicks for the news services.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Josh Allen was the best QB in the league last year when he didn't even have his best year.  That's how big his potential is.

Josh Allen 2020 IMO is the best QB season in the last 5 years.

Josh was awesome this year.  And just like 2021, he was spectacular in the playoffs, only to be let down by team and coaching.

In 2023 he suffered from incredibly bad luck as far as turnovers go and a horrible case of the dropsies by his receivers in the last 9 or 10 games of the season.

21 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I wonder how many first round picks we could get in a trade. 

I know, the answer is all of them!

20 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

It was a nonsense race thing. They still wanna prove to us that black QBs are smart enough to win using their brain from the pocket not just their legs. It’s the world we live in. And I like Lamar he is a really solid passer. Just wasn’t an MVP 

That's a load of crap. The MVP came down to one simple thing: There were a bunch of good candidates and every one of them had a garbage game and got their name crossed of the list - Josh Allen included - except for Lamar. He saved that for the playoffs, but that doesn't count as the MVP votes are cast right after the regular season ends. And guess what? Consistency is a good tiebreaker for a close race.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

It was a nonsense race thing. They still wanna prove to us that black QBs are smart enough to win using their brain from the pocket not just their legs. It’s the world we live in. And I like Lamar he is a really solid passer. Just wasn’t an MVP 

Nah.  It was a being the starting QB on the best team of the regular season thing.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.