Is it time to grow concerned about Greg Rousseau?

FireChans

10 hours ago, Brand J said:

He’s an average pass rusher and that’s primarily how edges are judged, not on their ability to hold the point of the attack and play the run. He's still got time to figure it out in that department, but you don’t extend those guys to substantial contracts.

agree with this.  he is a slightly better Shaq Lawson at this point.  I still see potential for better play.  Will be interesting to see what new DL coach can do. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Groot is a good run defender and below average pass rusher…solid overall but not a guy I would want extended. 

Just sucks that Beane hasn’t hit on a 1st rounder since Josh.

Dalton K .  has entered the chat

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rousseau is a long, rangy speed rusher that will get better as he learns how to get to the QB. Right now he’s able to bat down passes and run down backs in the run game. If you’re not getting pressure elsewhere, the coaching staff may lose patience and go another direction.

We have him for two more years and he has been a good contributor for this team since day 1. But for a second contract at a non-team friendly price he is going to need to show more IMO. You would like all your first-round picks to hit of course but a late first rounder who contributes for 5 years is also good. 

Many of us were somewhat shocked they extended Oliver. But that so far looks like a pretty good decision. But the Oliver extension paired with the needs of retooling the secondary, keeping a good o-line in place along with some skill players may mean there won't be enough money left over for Rousseau.  

We may get a hint on what they plan on doing with Rousseau in this next couple of drafts. If they don't use a day 1 or 2 pick on an edge rusher that would bode well for him possibly being an extension candidate. 

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

We need to see more out of Dalton before we can definitely say he is a hit. I THINK he will be, but no way can I say that after just one season. Many of us think he could and should have been used even more than he was which I think would have put him over the top of that "hit bar". Hopefully we see that next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BBFL said:

Like Rousseau, think he’s a solid player and is still pretty raw. I wonder how much of a hinderance the whole rotation thing on the DLine is to his development…

Look at the rest of the league in terms of snap counts, and I’m not putting him on par with these guys it’s just a playing percentage, where guys who make the biggest differences and most plays in terms of TFL’s, forced fumbles and Sacks; Maxx Crosby, Khalil Mack, Micah Parsons, Danielle Hunter, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, Aaron Donald, TJ Watt, Trey Hendrickson and Josh Allen.

All of them play around the 80% or more mark with Garrett, Bosa and Donald at 76%+. 

Hendrickson is the only outlier but still remains at 68%. 

Rousseau has played 49%, 44% and 55% of the snaps in his first 3 years. I’d like to see him on the field a lot more this year so you know whether he’s absolutely worth an extension and/or the 5th year option (which he is). 

Essentially, I feel he’d be a better and more impactful player the more he’s on the field. Just needs that chance to. 75% of the snaps is reasonable for a first rounder going into year 4 when you still have massive question marks at that area of the defense. 

this is one of the defensive scheme issues IMO.  tactically maybe it's great to have fresh legs on the d line running up the field all day, but there is the tactical issue of putting in some trash player because your starter has to have his "rest" more than you should.

logistically, these schematic tactics result in a lot of picks and cap stuck on the bench, or perhaps coming along more slowly than you'd like.  it also certainly doesn't result in fewer injuries.

the reality is we have settle, ford, lawson, and phillips, all like absolute jag level guys who we signed cheap.  they get a ton of burn on our team.  

im sort of hoping mcbean finds jesus here, and he's shown signs of it by playing oliver more at least, but we need be more adaptable on D in terms of not being locked into these awful contracts, and getting young high picks out there when we need to play them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Groot is a good run defender and below average pass rusher…solid overall but not a guy I would want extended. 

Just sucks that Beane hasn’t hit on a 1st rounder since Josh.

Josh #7 Overall

Oliver #9 Overall

Diggs #22 Overall

Rousseau #30 Overall

Elam #23(#25)Overall

Kincaid #25 (#27) Overall

I mean, there is a clear difference in when and where we are picking once we have Josh and are winning 10-13 game a year. Which significantly changes the level of players we are going to acquire in "the 1st round". Picking in the Top 10 vs Bottom 10 (or even bottom 5) makes it tougher.

We could definitely hindsight the Oliver pick, but does having Jeffery Simmons or Brian Burns get us past KC? And Ed looks to finally be coming into his own, 🤞.

Outside of Elam, I dont see any glaring misses. Rousseau is developing, Kincaid is already on his way to becoming a star.

But I agree that Beane has had a lot of doubles and triples, but no home runs since Josh (maybe Kincaid will get there). My bigger beef with Beane is his handling of 2nd round picks. We've missed out on a bunch of home runs that were sitting in our laps because Beane gets stuck on certain guys or blinded trying to execute some plan.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh #7 Overall

Oliver #9 Overall

Diggs #22 Overall

Rousseau #30 Overall

Elam #23(#25)Overall

I mean, there is a clear difference in when and where we are picking once we have Josh and are winning 10-13 game a year. Which significantly changes the level of players we are going to acquire in "the 1st round". Picking in the Top 10 vs Bottom 10 (or even bottom 5) makes it tougher.

We could definitely hindsight the Oliver pick, but does having Jeffery Simmons or Brian Burns get us past KC? And Ed looks to finally be coming into his own, 🤞.

Outside of Elam, I dont see any glaring misses. Rousseau is developing, Kincaid is already on his way to becoming a star.

But I agree that Beane has had a lot of doubles and triples, but no home runs since Josh (maybe Kincaid will get there). My bigger beef with Beane is his handling of 2nd round picks. We've missed out on a bunch of home runs that were sitting in our laps because Beane gets stuck on certain guys or blinded trying to execute some plan.

Diggs was drafted in 2015 in the fifth round. Justin Jefferson was drafted 22nd overall. 

Pro-personnel and college scouting is such a different can of worms, I don’t think Diggs should be included there.

Either way, as you say, too many doubles and triples instead of homeruns. And Greg is in that bucket.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Diggs was drafted in 2015 in the fifth round. Justin Jefferson was drafted 22nd overall. 

Pro-personnel and college scouting is such a different can of worms, I don’t think Diggs should be included there.

Either way, as you say, too many doubles and triples instead of homeruns. And Greg is in that bucket.

I included Diggs only to illustrate the draft position. Notice I didnt comment on whether Beane hit on that pick or not, which he did but at what cost?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Kincaid is still TBD, he looks promising though.

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh #7 Overall

Oliver #9 Overall

Diggs #22 Overall

Rousseau #30 Overall

Elam #23(#25)Overall

I agree. Just hoping Beane can hit that home run and get another superstar.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The biggest issue I have had with him is that the last 2 seasons he starts out the season on an absolute heater. Then seems to have a foot/ankle issue that slow him up for the rest of the year.

This season I believe it was a broken bone in the foot that they said wouldn't be further injured by playing on it...but it did play into his burst I believe.

I'd like to see if he can stay relatively healthy this year or is there is something more chronic that plays into the lower leg issues. I do believe that if relatively healthy he has the tools to be that 8-10 sack a year guy. 

He's a solid cleanup guy too with the length.  More of a Phil Hansen type.  

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, the home runs for a team like Buffalo probably don't come from the 1st round.  I do like Kincaid a lot.  But they usually end up from someone later.  A benford, bernard, or shakir perhaps.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He's a solid cleanup guy too with the length.  More of a Phil Hansen type.  

Honestly, the home runs for a team like Buffalo probably don't come from the 1st round.  I do like Kincaid a lot.  But they usually end up from someone later.  A benford, bernard, or shakir perhaps.  

Hm, I don’t think so. I think the homeruns CAN come from anywhere, but I gotta figure your best chance is still in the first 60 picks.

To me, Benford, Bernard (so far), Shakir are all good picks. It’s great to get NFL talent in the late rounds. None of them are homeruns. 

To me, a homerun is “would this player have been a great pick no matter what round you took them in.” Milano was a homerun. He’s a more impressive homerun bc he was a fifth rounder, but if he was a late second rounder, he’d still be a phenomenal pick. 

If you look at the difference between us and KC, or the Niners, they have way more homeruns, not just solid picks. It’s the one black mark against Beane. The best year of players this regime has brought in was unquestionably 2017. White, Milano, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde have been 5 of our 7 best players for 7 years. It’s why the roster is old. It’s why the cap needs to be stretched now. 

Greg is just another guy we hoped could be one of our best players but isn’t.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hm, I don’t think so. I think the homeruns CAN come from anywhere, but I gotta figure your best chance is still in the first 60 picks.

To me, Benford, Bernard (so far), Shakir are all good picks. It’s great to get NFL talent in the late rounds. None of them are homeruns. 

To me, a homerun is “would this player have been a great pick no matter what round you took them in.” Milano was a homerun. He’s a more impressive homerun bc he was a fifth rounder, but if he was a late second rounder, he’d still be a phenomenal pick. 

If you look at the difference between us and KC, or the Niners, they have way more homeruns, not just solid picks. It’s the one black mark against Beane. The best year of players this regime has brought in was unquestionably 2017. White, Milano, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde have been 5 of our 7 best players for 7 years. It’s why the roster is old. It’s why the cap needs to be stretched now. 

Greg is just another guy we hoped could be one of our best players but isn’t.

I'd say 1st round is your best chance, but sometimes football players don't test particularly well and we need to find them! 

Apparently PFF had Rousseau graded out as the best DE in the playoffs overall, but that's still a bit misleading since he only played in 2 postseason games.

But at the end of the day it still comes down to making impact plays and like most of the players on that side of the ball he's come up woefully short.

Injuries and being able to consistently rush the passer has ultimately been his downfall so far in Groot's NFL career.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh #7 Overall

Oliver #9 Overall

Diggs #22 Overall

Rousseau #30 Overall

Elam #23(#25)Overall

There is only one bust in that group that was mentioned

Brandon has done just fine with his first round picks

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is only one bust in that group that was mentioned

Brandon has done just fine with his first round picks

Elam still has the physical traits they drafted him for. I’m still hoping the light bulb comes on at some point and he learns how to use it. Maybe the coaching shakeup on D will help somehow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.