How clutch was Josh in 2023? No other QB even came close

DJB

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

Pure drivel. Who cares where his nugget is on some useless graph. Yes,  Josh is good. We get that. But without a strong D we are going nowhere.

And, to you nimrods saying "seeee, look. Give him a WR and we are SB champs". This graph proves that we don't need a receiver. He is alreday clutch and we score. It's the D that craps the bed and can't stop anyone when it counts. Injuries, yes granted. But c'mon. Fix the D next season and we are lethal!

I agree.  

First, as others have said, looking at these obscure collections of data is interesting but really not very useful.  We live an age where there's practically an infinite amount of data, and it can be sliced, diced, and presented in multiple ways.  The result is that there's always some collection of data that makes my guy look like a winner.  

Now, if Josh actually is having all these clutch 4th quarter drives AND the Bills are losing a lot of these games, there are only two conclusions:  Either (1) the defense isn't holding up or (2) the defense is holding up but on a later possession, the offense or special teams fail (give away, blocked punt, 3 and out, whatever).   I haven't seen that data, but my gut feeling is that this past season it was more often 1 and occasionally 2.  

Either way, I'd say this data supports an argument for more and better defense.  If your quarterback and your offense are making clutch plays at the rate this data suggests, it would seem that all you need for the team to succeed in close games is for the defense to perform average or better.  

I suppose the real question is this:  Can we see the same chart for how well the defense performed in the same game situations?

One further note:   I was clicking around to see the original of this chart, who compiled, etc., and I discovered that although the OP links to to this guy Kurt Benkert's tweet from yesterday, the chart first appears in a tweet from @waddlehouse17 on December 23.  He notes that the data is only through week 12, so this chart doesn't include however good or bad Josh was in the final weeks of the season.  

• Like (+1) 2

I haven’t read through the thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned. What’s interesting to me about the graphic is that it factors in a win % of 25%-75%. The Bills never get blown out. The amount of games where their win % dipped below 25% is miniscule. Every time that the win % jumps above 75% you have the game in hand. I’m not that concerned about how the QB is playing when you’re up 31-3 in the 4th. This graphic covers pretty much all other scenarios. It basically says, “when the game is close, late, Josh Allen is otherworldly.”

Josh Allen is so freaking good. The higher the stakes, the better he gets.

What we need is to surround him with weapons, like when Brown, Sanders, Beasley and Diggs were all here. Knox made plays back then too. 

We've slowly let the offensive weapons deteriorate little by little, and now we need a serious infusion of talent. Doesn't have to be all superstars, either. Brown and Beasley were nice players when we signed them, but hardly superstars. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I haven’t read through the thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned. What’s interesting to me about the graphic is that it factors in a win % of 25%-75%. The Bills never get blown out. The amount of games where their win % dipped below 25% is miniscule. Every time that the win % jumps above 75% you have the game in hand. I’m not that concerned about how the QB is playing when you’re up 31-3 in the 4th. This graphic covers pretty much all other scenarios. It basically says, “when the game is close, late, Josh Allen is otherworldly.”

yes that's what they call the garbage time filter

if you crank it up the whole way you can disregard everything except when the game is within 30-70% WP...helps to eliminate noise from blowouts

i don't think this is very surprising however, considering Allen finished second in WPadded to Prescott and Allen played well in a ton of close games

2 hours ago, finn said:

This with a single top receiver--and even he dropped off a cliff midseason.

Screw the defense. Give this man three top receivers, good protection, and a run game, and he will score 75 points a game. 

without a top receiver...

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

yes that's what they call the garbage time filter

if you crank it up the whole way you can disregard everything except when the game is within 30-70% WP...helps to eliminate noise from blowouts

i don't think this is very surprising however, considering Allen finished second in WPadded to Prescott and Allen played well in a ton of close games

The big difference is that the 49ers, Bills and Packers games, had the Cowboys win percentage below 25% late. The Cowboys play earlier in those games, including Dak, is not held against them. The Bills do not have any such games. So basically, Josh Allen either had his team comfortably in control (win percentage over 75%) and it didn’t matter OR he was outstanding late in closer games. 

The big difference is that the 49ers, Bills and Packers games, had the Cowboys win percentage below 25% late. The Cowboys play earlier in those games, including Dak, is not held against them. The Bills do not have any such games. So basically, Josh Allen either had his team comfortably in control (win percentage over 75%) and it didn’t matter OR he was outstanding late in closer games. 

yup

it doesn't tell you that if the QB play contributed negatively early on which is important context

but really any way you slice it Allen reliably comes through in the big moments

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

this data supports an argument for more and better defense. 

The problem is, the Bills have been allocating more resources in the draft and free agency to defense. And it's not working. So do we just continue to do the same thing? I don't have to roll out the old Einstein quote here.

I'd suggest the problem might not be throwing more resources at the D, but different late-game coaching.

And, in fairness, the D was missing key players this year. But let's turn this offense into a consistent juggernaut instead funneling most of the assets into the D.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

yup

it doesn't tell you that if the QB play contributed negatively early on which is important context

but really any way you slice it Allen reliably comes through in the big moments

It truly is insane how good he has actually been. The deeper the stats go the more it makes him shine. As you remove “luck” and really look at what he is responsible for, there isn’t anyone close. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

45 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The never ending one dimensional thinking on here.  Not sure what it accomplishes other than sounding stupid. 

I would ask you these questions,

Do you feel that the defense has held it’s own during post season games since our HC came on board? 

Do you feel that we have drafted top level offensive players during our drafts regularly since our GM came on board? 

Me, I think our HC & GM are pretty good at most things, but that a shift in priorities is long since over due in player personnel acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball, primarily in drafting top shelf prospects for our receivers group. Is that what you refer to as one dimensional thinking? 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Gotta do it in the playoffs. If he executed that final drive in the KC game correctly (clutch) we might’ve been spared of 6 mos KC slobbering by the media. 

What are you talking about? The throw to the end zone was the absolute right decision. His arm just got hit. His COACHING STAFF & TEAM failed him as they have so many other times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

why the numerous threads about how great Allen is? We already know this.

Yeah I agree.  I don't need to be convinced by anyone as to Josh's greatest. The ball is now in the court for his coaches & teammates. They're the problem. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

It truly is insane how good he has actually been. The deeper the stats go the more it makes him shine. As you remove “luck” and really look at what he is responsible for, there isn’t anyone close. 

i agree 100%

Allen is (at current pace) unfortunately going to end up being the Allen Iverson of the NFL

absolute unicorn in terms of offensive production but fated to be largely ignored by history because his style was too unorthodox and lack of championships

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Gotta do it in the playoffs. If he executed that final drive in the KC game correctly (clutch) we might’ve been spared of 6 mos KC slobbering by the media. 

If Sherfield catches that ball we could've been spared. If Stef catches that perfect 60 yard pass we could've been spared. If James doesn't drop another easy td, we could've been spared.  I won't even bring up the defense because you can never rely on them in the playoffs. This isn't on Josh. Never has been...never will be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Lies damn lies and statistics. 

Any “clutch” metric that places Mahomes in the bottom 20%tile is severely flawed. 

This should be obvious. 

Just because someone makes a chart and puts it on Twitter doesn’t mean it’s useful. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

The problem is, the Bills have been allocating more resources in the draft and free agency to defense. And it's not working. So do we just continue to do the same thing? I don't have to roll out the old Einstein quote here.

I'd suggest the problem might not be throwing more resources at the D, but different late-game coaching.

And, in fairness, the D was missing key players this year. But let's turn this offense into a consistent juggernaut instead funneling most of the assets into the D.

Well, I absolutely agree that coaching probably is part of the problem.   The Bills' linebacker woes notwithstanding, there was something of a defensive meltdown against the Chiefs, and I think you have to look to the coaching and preparation for that game as part of the problem.  

But I disagree about this notion of an offensive juggernaut.   I think fans, including me, love to think of their team having this explosive team that just rolls over opponents, over and over.  Big wins, high scores, etc.   The problem is that although our eyes can imagine that kind of team, it is rare for that team actually to exist in December and January in the NFL.  The Lions faltered, the Dolphins faltered, and finally the 49ers falter.  With only a few exceptions, and usually only in the wild-card rounds, are games decided by some team scoring 30+ points and putting the game away in the 4th quarter.  The defenses are too good, and they're getting better. 

So, I'm all in having the 2024 focus be on making the defense better.  Defense is what failed the Bills late this season, and defense is what wins in the playoffs.  High-flying offenses get stopped, and offenses that have effective, creative QBs who can grind it out are what wins.  The Bills have that offense, but it needs to be a little better.  It's instructive to see the Chiefs winning after letting Tyreek Hill walk, and the Dolphins continue to falter.  The devastating one-on-one deep threat pass receivers is fun to watch, but he's not the key to winning championships.  

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Do you feel that the defense has held it’s own during post season games since our HC came on board? 

Do you feel that we have drafted top level offensive players during our drafts regularly since our GM came on board? 

Me, I think our HC & GM are pretty good at most things, but that a shift in priorities is long since over due in player personnel acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball, primarily in drafting top shelf prospects for our receivers group. Is that what you refer to as one dimensional thinking? 

As I've said, I think the offense has enough skill players to win, assuming Diggs is back and Brady does his job.  And as I just said, I absolutely do not think the answer is top-shelf receiver.  

I don't know whether the Bills have drafted a lot more defense than offense in the first couple of rounds.  A lot of people seem to think so, and for the sake of argument I'll agree with that thought (although Kincaid, Torrence, Cook, and of course Josh are good arguments to the contrary).   History is irrelevant.   I don't care if the Bills have drafted 20 defensive players to five offensive players, the question is, "what does the team need going forward from here?"   The answer to that question is defense.  And the answer definitely is not CeeDee Lamb or the equivalent.   

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But I disagree about this notion of an offensive juggernaut. 

You didn't quote the word that I italicized: consistent. This year the Bills offense was not consistent enough. I want to see that plus a field stretcher and true number 1 alpha receiver. I'm not saying we need to devote a first and second rounder to this, but take a real traits alpha guy who can stretch the field and win 50-50 battles. We haven't had that in a while. Then get a DE and safety and all the rest on D.

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  

First, as others have said, looking at these obscure collections of data is interesting but really not very useful.  We live an age where there's practically an infinite amount of data, and it can be sliced, diced, and presented in multiple ways.  The result is that there's always some collection of data that makes my guy look like a winner.  

Now, if Josh actually is having all these clutch 4th quarter drives AND the Bills are losing a lot of these games, there are only two conclusions:  Either (1) the defense isn't holding up or (2) the defense is holding up but on a later possession, the offense or special teams fail (give away, blocked punt, 3 and out, whatever).   I haven't seen that data, but my gut feeling is that this past season it was more often 1 and occasionally 2.  

Either way, I'd say this data supports an argument for more and better defense.  If your quarterback and your offense are making clutch plays at the rate this data suggests, it would seem that all you need for the team to succeed in close games is for the defense to perform average or better.  

I suppose the real question is this:  Can we see the same chart for how well the defense performed in the same game situations?

One further note:   I was clicking around to see the original of this chart, who compiled, etc., and I discovered that although the OP links to to this guy Kurt Benkert's tweet from yesterday, the chart first appears in a tweet from @waddlehouse17 on December 23.  He notes that the data is only through week 12, so this chart doesn't include however good or bad Josh was in the final weeks of the season.  

Our WR1 and WR2 combined for 61 catches for 684 yards in the last 7 games of the season plus 2 playoff games.  

That's an average of about 3.5 catches and 38 yards per game from each of the two skill positions.   Take away the Chargers game and our WR2 was almost completely non existent the second half of the season.   

Get Josh Some legitimate threats and good O-Line protection so we won't even need to worry about defense.   We'll be dropping 35+ points per game.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Sherfield catches that ball we could've been spared. If Stef catches that perfect 60 yard pass we could've been spared. If James doesn't drop another easy td, we could've been spared.  I won't even bring up the defense because you can never rely on them in the playoffs. This isn't on Josh. Never has been...never will be.

Yeah the long ball drops were bad. But there were plenty of time left at that point so the game could not have been decided then. I was actually glad the deep shots didn’t work. The methodically moving the ball down while taking time off was the play. It was working perfectly until Allen had a brain fart towards the end. He needs to elevate his game in the playoffs (biggest moments) for this team to advance. All these regular season stuffs are meaningless. Contrast to Mahomes. His regular stats sucked this year. But come playoffs time he’s nails. I preferred Allen do that. Hopefully he will someday. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

You didn't quote the word that I italicized: consistent. This year the Bills offense was not consistent enough. I want to see that plus a field stretcher and true number 1 alpha receiver. I'm not saying we need to devote a first and second rounder to this, but take a real traits alpha guy who can stretch the field and win 50-50 battles. We haven't had that in a while. Then get a DE and safety and all the rest on D.

Yes, you said "consistent" but you said juggernaut.   There are no successful juggernauts.   Haven't been any since the Bills and Cowboys in the 90s.   Even the Chiefs have slipped dramatically.  

A "real traits alpha guy who can stretch the field" is a pipe dream.   When is the last time one of those guys won a Super Bowl?  Tyreek Hill, and the Chiefs have won two Super Bowls since letting him go.  And before Hill?   

We've all seen dozens or articles explaining how all the defenses around the league are stopping the deep ball and forcing even the best offenses to work underneath the deep protection, be patient, etc., etc.  Joe Burrow had two of those alpha guys and lost the Super Bowl.  

A good #1 has to be able to get deep, but in the current NFL, the most important skills for a good number have to do with being deadly on a whole variety of shorter throws.  Look at the Rams, the Lions, the 49ers, the Chiefs.   They're hurting people consistently with excellent receivers who hurt people underneath, not with the glitzy 6'4" burners who can slam-dunk 35-foot alley-oop passes on the basketball court.  

Just now, 90sBills said:

Yeah the long ball drops were bad. But there were plenty of time left at that point so the game could not have been decided then. I was actually glad the deep shots didn’t work. The methodically moving the ball down while taking time off was the play. It was working perfectly until Allen had a brain fart towards the end. He needs to elevate his game in the playoffs (biggest moments) for this team to advance. All these regular season stuffs are meaningless. Contrast to Mahomes. His regular stats sucked this year. But come playoffs time he’s nails. I preferred Allen do that. Hopefully he will someday. 

I agree.  There still are a few steps forward that Allen needs to make to be a truly great one, and those steps have to do with the intangibles that we all see in Mahomes.  I think he made big strides in that area in 2023, and I don't think he has far to go.  I so want Joe Brady to be the guy.  If Brady has the right offense and gets into Josh's head the right way, we'll begin to see the complete package, and it will be a thing to behold. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

lol Allen's playoff performances are some of the best of all time

he averages more TDs and fewer INTs in the postseason than Mahomes

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As I've said, I think the offense has enough skill players to win, assuming Diggs is back and Brady does his job.  And as I just said, I absolutely do not think the answer is top-shelf receiver.  

I don't know whether the Bills have drafted a lot more defense than offense in the first couple of rounds.  A lot of people seem to think so, and for the sake of argument I'll agree with that thought (although Kincaid, Torrence, Cook, and of course Josh are good arguments to the contrary).   History is irrelevant.   I don't care if the Bills have drafted 20 defensive players to five offensive players, the question is, "what does the team need going forward from here?"   The answer to that question is defense.  And the answer definitely is not CeeDee Lamb or the equivalent.   

We certainly need to fill / refill the “D” but that can’t be to the exclusion of the offense, as you alluded to, you are correct in that what was done in the past is irrelevant, it is what needs to be done going forward that is important (which is always the case). I by no means think that our situation with signed defensive players is as big an issue as some make it, Beane has been fully aware for a couple of years as to what to do about it going forward, and likely has the pieces lined up/ in play, after all, it’s what GMs do. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  There still are a few steps forward that Allen needs to make to be a truly great one, and those steps have to do with the intangibles that we all see in Mahomes.  I think he made big strides in that area in 2023, and I don't think he has far to go.  I so want Joe Brady to be the guy.  If Brady has the right offense and gets into Josh's head the right way, we'll begin to see the complete package, and it will be a thing to behold. 

Absolutely! Allen is the #2 guy right behind Mahomes. He is lacking behind in the mental aspect of the game. Grounds that he can make up through hard work. Most people on here keep saying he’s the best and just get more play makers and a Lombardi will magically appear.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Lost said:

Our WR1 and WR2 combined for 61 catches for 684 yards in the last 7 games of the season plus 2 playoff games.  

That's an average of about 3.5 catches and 38 yards per game from each of the two skill positions.   Take away the Chargers game and our WR2 was almost completely non existent the second half of the season.   

Get Josh Some legitimate threats and good O-Line protection so we won't even need to worry about defense.   We'll be dropping 35+ points per game.  

Agree, our WR room definitely has needs,  one or two more legitimate receivers would go a long way in that direction, at the same time, Shaw66 is correct, our “D” needs not only to be refilled, it needs to have its schemes modified so that this endless fourth quarter/end of game failures get addressed, the seemingly purposeful sets that allow for easy five yard runs and passes to happen needs to be addressed. It’s quite frustrating to watch happen every postseason, 

Has to be SuperBowl or bust for McDermott this year. He is rapidly running out of other people to blame.

His Ballshat process and winning mentality nonsense has run its course.

He's a loser coach with a HOF QB!

Any barely competent HC could lose at home in division round two years in a row.

Absolutely hate that this HC has cost us two legit chances at a Lombardi and has wasted the prime of Allen's career.

In Allen we must trust!!!!!

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Absolutely! Allen is the #2 guy right behind Mahomes. He is lacking behind in the mental aspect of the game. Grounds that he can make up through hard work. Most people on here keep saying he’s the best and just get more play makers and a Lombardi will magically appear.

True enough, Imo opinion it’s a bit of both, #1, Allen certainly can and should make a priority to learn from what Reid/ Mahomes do on the field to win, and implement those things, (taking the short pass to move the chains for starters)  #2, at the same time our WRs one and two were both lacking in execution which resulted in mediocre to poor performances,  an up grade to that room would be nice…, 

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

The methodically moving the ball down while taking time off was the play. It was working perfectly until Allen had a brain fart towards the end.

Allen doesn't call the plays or set the progressions. You know that, right?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Just stop. Did not even make it to the AFCCG. Stats like this mean squat. Just win, baby.

One player can be clutch when the rest of the team very much is not lol that appears to be what is happening 

no idea how diggs can drop that pretty much uncontested deep ball when the jag mvs is hauling in contested catches all playoffs 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Would I personally have liked to see him take the wide open pass to Diggs, yes.  But he always has and always will be a gunslinger.  I too would like to see him play a little more under control like Brady & Mahomes.  But he saw an open player and his line couldn't hold another millisecond. You take the td when its there.....But in the end, my biggest beef with this team is the inability of his teammates & coaches to step up their game. 

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Lies damn lies and statistics. 

Any “clutch” metric that places Mahomes in the bottom 20%tile is severely flawed. 

This should be obvious. 

Just because someone makes a chart and puts it on Twitter doesn’t mean it’s useful. 

For this season, it is fact-based to say that Mahomes wasn't overly clutch, from a purely results-based standpoint. The Chiefs had a chance to score late vs the Lions, Eagles, Packers and Bills and came up short in all. Four losses. His only successful "clutch" performance came in the Super Bowl. 

The context behind the misses is:

vs Lions - Mahomes threw a perfect pass to Toney which would have set up the game-winning field goal, but Toney dropped it. 

vs Eagles - Mahomes threw what would have been a likely game-winning TD pass to MVS, but he dropped it at the goal line.

vs Packers - Mahomes threw what could have been a game-tying TD (2 pter needed) but refs missed blatant PI on pass to MVS at the goal line.

vs Bills - Mahomes threw what could have been a game-winning TD pass to Kelce (who then lateraled to Toney), but Toney was ruled Offside. 

4 hours ago, finn said:

This with a single top receiver--and even he dropped off a cliff midseason.

Screw the defense. Give this man three top receivers, good protection, and a run game, and he will score 75 points a game. 

But then opponents score 76.

...But we won't need a punter! LoL...

37 minutes ago, beebe said:

For this season, it is fact-based to say that Mahomes wasn't overly clutch, from a purely results-based standpoint. The Chiefs had a chance to score late vs the Lions, Eagles, Packers and Bills and came up short in all. Four losses. His only successful "clutch" performance came in the Super Bowl. 

The context behind the misses is:

vs Lions - Mahomes threw a perfect pass to Toney which would have set up the game-winning field goal, but Toney dropped it. 

vs Eagles - Mahomes threw what would have been a likely game-winning TD pass to MVS, but he dropped it at the goal line.

vs Packers - Mahomes threw what could have been a game-tying TD (2 pter needed) but refs missed blatant PI on pass to MVS at the goal line.

vs Bills - Mahomes threw what could have been a game-winning TD pass to Kelce (who then lateraled to Toney), but Toney was ruled Offside. 

My point still stands. 

Any time someone comes up with a new metric, ie “Win probability added per dropback”, you should ask yourself, how is this calculated?  And more importantly, has this been shown to be predictive on an independent data set?

Until I see evidence that this measurement is truly predictive, I’ll consider it useless. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

So the way you are asking these questions and discussing them is way different than calling him Mcdipshit and claiming the entire team is trash except for JA.  That is what my comment was about.  You have good points and I agree at some level.  McD has a 5-6 post season record.  Every post season ends with a loss except for one team.  That team recently has been KC where the D has not been good enough.  For the Cincy game I think its fair to say the O did not show up.  I just dont get coming here with one dimensional stupid takes and bashing everything they have achieved since they have fallen short of the ultimate goal.  If someone comes here daily to state the same thing which is the team and McD and Bean suck, they are not adding anything to the conversation. 

It's not a binary argument: Josh needs a new number 1 WR AND the D needs to play better at the end of games, and this is dictated by both personnel and coaching. But if the brass takes a WR no earlier than the 3rd round this year, that's criminal.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.