KC GM Brett Veach

Dubie54

I don't see a whole lot of press for this guy but he has been nothing short of amazing with what he has put together in KC and how he has managed the draft and turn over of personnel without missing a beat.

Just looking at the D, I was blown away last night when it was said that Chris Jones is the only remaining guy on D from their SB of 4 years ago. Here's a look at the draft over that span.

2020:    Willie Gay - 63

Sneed -   138

2021:  Bolton -   58

2022:  McDuffie -  21

Karlaftis -   30

2023:  Uzomah  -  31

I would love to see somebody go through all of the FA deals he made over this time to complement the draft picks. Amazing stuff. 

Sure their rookie deals will start to expire and KC will probably not be able to re-sign all of them, but he turned the entire over in 4 years and they still won the SB, so there's no reason to think he can't do it again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

I don't see a whole lot of press for this guy but he has been nothing short of amazing with what he has put together in KC and how he has managed the draft and turn over of personnel without missing a beat.

Just looking at the D, I was blown away last night when it was said that Chris Jones is the only remaining guy on D from their SB of 4 years ago. Here's a look at the draft over that span.

Sneed -   138

Karlaftis -   30

I would love to see somebody go through all of the FA deals he made over this time to complement the draft picks. Amazing stuff. 

Sure their rookie deals will start to expire and KC will probably not be able to re-sign all of them, but he turned the entire over in 4 years and they still won the SB, so there's no reason to think he can't do it again.

The draft typically tends to even out over time...sometimes teams go on good runs with picks then have some not so good runs. Some pretty in depth studies show that almost all teams regress towards the mean over a big enough sample size.

Edited by Big Turk

Sneed & McDuffie are just as vital to that unit as Chris Jones. The trade for Justin Reid and Mike Edwards was a huge hit for them too. Those 4 guys in that secondary is the bigger reason for success. 

Props to Veach as the LBs they’ve drafted are solid too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, juno999 said:

Trading Tyreek Hill for a bunch of picks worked out well too.  Two seasons and 2 Super Bowls.

Isn’t that the wildest thing? The offense is undeniably worse without Tyreek but they still come away with back to back SBs… 🤯

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Chris has one of the easiest jobs in the league. He just asks Andy what players he wants for his system and then can concentrate on defense and he’s found some real gems I loved Karloftus at Purdue he fell cause he doesn’t have long arms. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Sneed -   138

Karlaftis -   30

that’s normal in todays nfl. Normally you pay a couple cornerstones and then churn like crazy. Being locked into a bunch of good but not great vets is worst case scenario.

Heck the pats were doing it a decade ago. 

• Agree 1

Like I just said in another thread.....best GM in the NFL and all pro sports right now.

And not there's much of a chance of derailing the Chiefs dynasty anytime soon, as long as this guy is there and keeps draft all pros vs. solid starters and role players like the Bills and pretty much every other NFL team there's next to zero chance of the Chiefs crumbling.

Can't wait to see him replace Chris Jones and Kelce with even better players in the coming years....

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Isn’t that the wildest thing? The offense is undeniably worse without Tyreek but they still come away with back to back SBs… 🤯

Reloaded on defense with McDuffie and Karloftis.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Like I just said in another thread.....best GM in the NFL and all pro sports right now.

And not there's much of a chance of derailing the Chiefs dynasty anytime soon, as long as this guy is there and keeps draft all pros vs. solid starters and role players like the Bills and pretty much every other NFL team there's next to zero chance of the Chiefs crumbling.

Can't wait to see him replace Chris Jones and Kelce with even better players in the coming years....

It's going to be interesting to watch the Chiefs and Chargers play now that LAC has Harbaugh. He can build a winner and the Chargers have talent. At the very least KC won't be an automatic division winner anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

It's going to be interesting to watch the Chiefs and Chargers play now that LAC has Harbaugh. He can build a winner and the Chargers have talent. At the very least KC won't be an automatic division winner anymore. 

Yeah but everybody said Mahomes was going to drop off statistically without Tyreek… Whilst he did slightly it wasn’t as bad as anticipated and they’ve come away with back to back Lombardi’s since. 

I’ll hold my breath on them having a rough time in that division for now. Denver is Denver… a mess on the QB situation with no picks after trading for Wilson and Payton. 

Oakland, huge QB questions there as well. Solid team but the QB wins it. 

That leaves San Diego. They need to retool that OLine and secondary, maybe look to bring in a RB as Ekeler’s heavy useage may be catching up on him. Herbert is great but he needs a run game of some sort to accentuate him to his best capabilities. Maybe they can acquire Derrick Henry? Just not sold on them because of a HC hire… They’re the NFL’s prince who’s promised. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

No but I'm sure getting into the playoffs as a wildcard will be the next chip on the chiefs collective shoulders and narrative they'll kill instantly.

I do agree at some point though they'll face a real threat in their division but might not be right away next year since the Chargers are also facing a pending roster purge and reset because of the salary cap and new coaches/schemes that will be implemented.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Sneed -   138

Karlaftis -   30

And since 2018, KC has had 24 picks in the first four rounds of draft…they picked 17 defensive players, and of the 7 offensive players, most have been busts.  Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

No but I'm sure getting into the playoffs as a wildcard will be the next chip on the chiefs collective shoulders and narrative they'll kill instantly.

I do agree at some point though they'll face a real threat in their division but might not be right away next year since the Chargers are also facing a pending roster purge and reset because of the salary cap and new coaches/schemes that will be implemented.

It may take some time. I didn't say next year but Harbaugh can coach. Took the Niners to the Super Bowl and won a national championship with Michigan.  Harbaugh will get them turned around and Herbert is still young. I could see LAC becoming a force in the AFC down the road.

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

Sneed & McDuffie are just as vital to that unit as Chris Jones. The trade for Justin Reid and Mike Edwards was a huge hit for them too. Those 4 guys in that secondary is the bigger reason for success. 

Props to Veach as the LBs they’ve drafted are solid too. 

I thought Reid was a FA? But regardless was a great pickup. He got lost in the mess at Houston but has always been very good.

I think Jones is the most important piece on their defense still personally. He is a game wrecker and the two pivotal plays against the Bills and last night at the end he makes them. That isn't to diminish the two two corners at all. They are very good. But Jones is a monster with a knack of making the play in the crunch. 

And that is the thing with KC. They make their big plays in crunch time year after year 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

omenihu (injured for super bowl) and tranquill were really nice signings for chiefs defense. bryan cook (emerging safety) was also injured late season and missed the playoffs. leo chenal (2nd year player made some huge plays). 

Edited by beebe

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

And since 2018, KC has had 24 picks in the first four rounds of draft…they picked 17 defensive players, and of the 7 offensive players, most have been busts.  Go figure.

Shhh only Beane makes draft busts and takes too many players on defense according to some here. 

Edited by The Jokeman

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I thought Reid was a FA? But regardless was a great pickup. He got lost in the mess at Houston but has always been very good.

I think Jones is the most important piece on their defense still personally. He is a game wrecker and the two pivotal plays against the Bills and last night at the end he makes them. That isn't to diminish the two two corners at all. They are very good. But Jones is a monster with a knack of making the play in the crunch. 

And that is the thing with KC. They make their big plays in crunch time year after year 

You’re right. He was, don’t know what I had in my head. Maybe that they switched Honey Badger for him. 

Chris Jones is the guy 100% but the players along that line with him are a little worse than previous SB teams. That quartet gives him a little more time. 

Still amazing that, like Kelce, he’s left wide open or unblocked on so many plays. If there’s one guy you have to pay attention to on that line it is Jones and only Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wow , great post . Incredible that Veach was on the Bills short list of GMs when they were hiring years back. Also incredible that the Bills could have drafted Mahomes instead of trading the pick. How different things could have been. Yeah there’s no reason to think it won’t continue so it’s best just to become a Chiefs fan and sit back in amazement at their accomplishments. Bills fans will just have to wait until they draft their next QB after Allen and Mahomes are retired. Then maybe they’ll have a chance at a SuperBowl. It’s just bad timing and you’ll be best off following the Chiefs for the next 10 years or so. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Shhh only Beane makes draft busts and takes too many players on defense according to some here. 

It does fly in the face of a popular narrative around here…

19 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Yeah but everybody said Mahomes was going to drop off statistically without Tyreek… Whilst he did slightly it wasn’t as bad as anticipated and they’ve come away with back to back Lombardi’s since. 

I’ll hold my breath on them having a rough time in that division for now. Denver is Denver… a mess on the QB situation with no picks after trading for Wilson and Payton. 

Oakland, huge QB questions there as well. Solid team but the QB wins it. 

That leaves San Diego. They need to retool that OLine and secondary, maybe look to bring in a RB as Ekeler’s heavy useage may be catching up on him. Herbert is great but he needs a run game of some sort to accentuate him to his best capabilities. Maybe they can acquire Derrick Henry? Just not sold on them because of a HC hire… They’re the NFL’s prince who’s promised. 

I think they have Greg Roman as OC. They'll possibly start good but like any Roman OC figured they'll have a hard time.

• Like (+1) 1

If he was Beane he would get blasted for Mecole Hardman and Skyy Moore in the 2nd, a 1st on Clyde Edwards-Helaire and trading for Kadarius Toney. But it's Brett Veach so he has to be praised

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

This drafts picks hit because the Chiefs not have incompetents the running offense and the defense. 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If he was Beane he would get blasted for Mecole Hardman and Skyy Moore in the 2nd, a 1st on Clyde Edwards-Helaire and trading for Kadarius Toney. But it's Brett Veach so he has to be praised

Why shouldn’t he get blasted for that if he were Beane IN BUFFALO? The thing is he’s in Kansas City and the rings overrule those draft misses,,, because of all his draft hits. 

....Beane has been a very good GM....

Beane drafted ALLEN.  

I also don't think you all appreciate enough, how bad the roster was when he took over.  The entire O line from Allens rookie year was OUT OF FOOTBALL within a year of Beane arriving.  Most of the rest of the offense was too with very few exceptions.  He had to churn the hell out of the roster AND develop a very raw QB at the same time.  no small feat.  

I read the posts around here.  Beane makes mistakes on draft day.  ALL GMs do.  he's had some great picks too.  He's made some good trades.  You can do alot worse...and you guys should know how bad it COULD be better than anyone. 

That doesn't mean Beane isn't deserving of criticism nor does it mean he shouldn't be questioned for not winning a SB thus far with the QB he has..that's all valid, but damn..to read some of the posts around here you'd think the guy was Dave Gettleman!  

Veach has had his share of errors.

Veach's 1st draft as "the man" was a disaster.  Treaded up for Breeland Speaks who was a complete bust.  Only Derrick Nhadi in round 3 has had any impact at all and he is JAG at best and mostly below average.  Veach gave MLB Anthony Hitchins a RIDICULOUS contract...he was terrible.  The contract was so bad KC couldn't cut him.  Overpaid for Sammy Watkins...who at least had some decent post season games but a huge overpay.  

You could certainly make the case that KC signing Jawan Taylor for top OL money was a mistake/overpay.  I won't try too hard to fight that one...he's not bad when he's not getting called for false starts..but that happens way too much and he has a rep so gets plenty of holding calls too!  

Veach has learned from his mistakes and he's hit on key players in the past few drafts and made trades essential to KC sustaining success.

Perhaps the least talked about, but most important accomplishment was after KC lost the 2020 Super Bowl where they lost both starting OT to more or less career ending injuries, had the worst starting center in the leauge and JAG at OG at best....he completely rebuilt the O LINE in an offeseason by trading for Orlando Brown (who was pretty good but not a great pass blocker) drafting Creed Humphrey and Smith who both started as rookies and played well..and signed ALL PRO LG Thuney.  They played Wylie at RT...and he wasn't great, but he was competent enough to make that work.  That was a miracle.

And while Veach hasn't hit on O side skill players well.... Clyde Edwards Hellaire...BUTS.  Sky Moore. BUST...  Mecole Hardman has done quite well considering where he was drafted....he gets crapped on because KC passed on DK Metcalf.  And KC hit on Rice this year...and Pacheco in round 7 last year.  

Veach nails DB's.  KC has a type they look for and Veach finds them in every round.  

I think though, it should be said that Veach understands what the coaches want and he finds guys they can use.  Veach therefore get a TON of help by having hte same coaching staff in place year after year...he gets their type and the coaches develop the players....makes Veach success rate look even better.

EVEN after all this....it's still a QB leauge.  You really gotta have one.  Without Mahomes...all the above isn't near good enough.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

....Beane has been a very good GM....

Beane drafted ALLEN.  

I also don't think you all appreciate enough, how bad the roster was when he took over.  The entire O line from Allens rookie year was OUT OF FOOTBALL within a year of Beane arriving.  Most of the rest of the offense was too with very few exceptions.  He had to churn the hell out of the roster AND develop a very raw QB at the same time.  no small feat.  

I read the posts around here.  Beane makes mistakes on draft day.  ALL GMs do.  he's had some great picks too.  He's made some good trades.  You can do alot worse...and you guys should know how bad it COULD be better than anyone. 

That doesn't mean Beane isn't deserving of criticism nor does it mean he shouldn't be questioned for not winning a SB thus far with the QB he has..that's all valid, but damn..to read some of the posts around here you'd think the guy was Dave Gettleman!  

Veach has had his share of errors.

Veach's 1st draft as "the man" was a disaster.  Treaded up for Breeland Speaks who was a complete bust.  Only Derrick Nhadi in round 3 has had any impact at all and he is JAG at best and mostly below average.  Veach gave MLB Anthony Hitchins a RIDICULOUS contract...he was terrible.  The contract was so bad KC couldn't cut him.  Overpaid for Sammy Watkins...who at least had some decent post season games but a huge overpay.  

You could certainly make the case that KC signing Jawan Taylor for top OL money was a mistake/overpay.  I won't try too hard to fight that one...he's not bad when he's not getting called for false starts..but that happens way too much and he has a rep so gets plenty of holding calls too!  

Veach has learned from his mistakes and he's hit on key players in the past few drafts and made trades essential to KC sustaining success.

Perhaps the least talked about, but most important accomplishment was after KC lost the 2020 Super Bowl where they lost both starting OT to more or less career ending injuries, had the worst starting center in the leauge and JAG at OG at best....he completely rebuilt the O LINE in an offeseason by trading for Orlando Brown (who was pretty good but not a great pass blocker) drafting Creed Humphrey and Smith who both started as rookies and played well..and signed ALL PRO LG Thuney.  They played Wylie at RT...and he wasn't great, but he was competent enough to make that work.  That was a miracle.

And while Veach hasn't hit on O side skill players well.... Clyde Edwards Hellaire...BUTS.  Sky Moore. BUST...  Mecole Hardman has done quite well considering where he was drafted....he gets crapped on because KC passed on DK Metcalf.  And KC hit on Rice this year...and Pacheco in round 7 last year.  

Veach nails DB's.  KC has a type they look for and Veach finds them in every round.  

I think though, it should be said that Veach understands what the coaches want and he finds guys they can use.  Veach therefore get a TON of help by having hte same coaching staff in place year after year...he gets their type and the coaches develop the players....makes Veach success rate look even better.

EVEN after all this....it's still a QB leauge.  You really gotta have one.  Without Mahomes...all the above isn't near good enough.

Just to set the record straight, I’m not a Beane basher, but I do think he’s made some dumb moves. Everybody is going to have misses, but one thing that amazes me about what Veach has done in KC is the turnover of D personnel over the past 4 years and look at the D they have now. Kudos certainly go to Spags but between the draft and FAs, Veach has killed it, and this is drafting at the bottom of the round every year. He just seems to find guys who can come right in and fill a spot. Maybe he’ll regress to the mean in the coming years but they seem to have a solid formula in place there.

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The amazing thing is chiefs have 52M in cap space unlike the Bills who are 40M + in the hole

If they keep Jones that will take a chunk but still, that number is insane.

Snap counts for Chiefs vs 49ers.

Outside of Mahomes and Kelce, the Chiefs largely rolled with two bust free agent tackles, a backup left guard playing with a torn ligament in his elbow, two very good interior linemen taken in the 2021 draft (one a 6th rounder), a WR corps consisting of a 2nd-round rookie and four others who wouldn't see the field on most teams, a fifth-rounder and a league minimum FA at tight end, and a former 7th rounder at running back (along with a discount free agent signed three years ago). 

QB patrick mahomes (100%) 

LT donovan smith (100%) - free agent signing in 2023, among most penalized players in football despite missing five games

LG nick allegretti (100%) - 7th round pick in 2019, backup, started for injured all pro thuney, played with torn UCL in elbow

C creed humphrey (100%) - 2nd round pick in 2021

RG trey smith (100%) - 6th round pick in 2021

RT jawaan taylor (100%) - free agent signing in 2023, most penalized player in football

WR rashee rice (85%) - 2nd round pick in 2023

WR marques valdez scantling (77%) - signed as free agent in 2022, considered one of the worst receivers in the league during season

WR justin watson (56%) - signed as cheap free agent in 2022

WR mecole hardman (24%) - acquired via midseason trade, widely viewed as a bust/liability, missed six games w injury

WR richie james (10%) - signed as cheap free agent in 2023, caught only 10 balls all year, used mostly as returner

TE travis kelce (85%)

TE noah gray (51%) - 5th round pick in 2021

TE blake bell (13%) - signed as cheap free agent, first in 2019 then again in 2021

RB isaiah pacheco (73%) - 7th round pick in 2022

RB jerick mckinnon (22%) - signed as cheap free agent in 2021 after missing two of previous three seasons w injuries

RB clyde edwards-helaire (5%) - 1st round pick in 2020

23 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

No they were all bad moves. CEH and Toney even worse were entirely predictable disasters.

12 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The amazing thing is chiefs have 52M in cap space unlike the Bills who are 40M + in the hole

They have $22m in space not $52m. There are some easy cuts for them to get up to $40m plus though.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:53 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Do you expect a GM to be perfect? Even the best are going to have some underwhelming picks. Wouldn’t call Hardman a bust though. And Toney’s got a lot of talent. He’s just an injury-plagued headcase. They took a flyer on him, and I wouldn’t say it was a terrible decision, because he had a record-setting punt return in the SB last year and basically contributed 14 pts in a close win. 

Veach does deserve criticism for picking Moore over Pickens. That one’s hard to defend. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.