What are your feelings on James Cook RB1

How you guys feeling on James Cook as a number 1 back? With Brady taking over full time James Cook should see an increase workload. Fumbles and drops have been an issue with him though. I still think he’s too small to be an every down back. Personally I would like to see use him like Detroit uses Gibbs and find a quality #2. I like Ty Johnson but could we find better?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

How you guys feeling on James Cook as a number 1 back? With Brady taking over full time James Cook should see an increase workload. Fumbles and drops have been an issue with him though. I still think he’s too small to be an every down back. Personally I would like to see use him like Detroit uses Gibbs and find a quality #2. I like Ty Johnson but could we find better?

Gibbs is capable of being an every down RB. He fights for extra yards and doesn’t go down once he’s touched. I like cook in this offense but if you have watched Michigans offense at all he’s our Edwards and we need a Corum

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Feeling better about him now than this time last year …

But … as you said, fumbles and drops in particular are the main issues …

I wonder how many times we’ll see a Dallas type game again ? Hope it wasn’t a one time only as I loved that dominance …

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He's somewhat proven to be a bonified RB1.  But the drops and fumbles are undeniable. Can someone work with him on technique and focus?  Who knows?? He needs to have a good complementary power RB as a change of pace.  I love what Ty brings but we need someone 10x more reliable than Harris/ Murray.  Not trading for CMC while I watch James drop 4 td passes this season absolutely tore me up. He has the capacity to improve.  The question is does he have the mental toughness and desire to do it?  These are all questions that will likely be answered this fall.

• Like (+1) 3

He was the 4th leading rusher in the NFL and a first selection Pro Bowler. What's not to like?

He's a Kamara type RB who has developed well. Saw huge growth between Year 1 and Year 2.

A bit frustrating to see him outright drop some balls that hit him right in the hands though, as he was Drafted in large part because of his receiving ability in College. Hopefully he cleans that up next season.

24 minutes ago, Westside said:

He seems to disappear in games. I would love to see more consistent next year.

Every back in the league disappears at times. Defenses key in on the run and the blocking breaks down and it's hard to run.

There were plenty of times though that his shiftiness found lanes and yardage where there shouldn't have been.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Remember though… Cook is a RB. Just like Aaron Jones and Kamara he’s gonna drop some passes that make you 🤦‍♂️. He’d be a receiver - like Deebo Samuel - if he had better hands. The threat of Cook scorching a defense is a large part of his value to the offense…. On any given play that kid can break off a huge gain. 

IDK what the answer is for a hammer to go along with Cook. It could come from the draft. Could be an AJ Dillon in FA. 🤷‍♂️. I was all for Montgomery last offseason. I’m sure Beane will find someone though. 

4th in rushing, 3rd in overall yards from scrimmage and there’s a question as to if he should be the #1 guy???

if Ty Johnson wants to come back for cheap money cool, if Hines has a cheap deal great…otherwise go find some other really cheap back ups. The Bills shouldn’t be wasting resources this off-season on running backs 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ganesh said:

That number gets skewed when Josh Allen (and his 15 TDs) is your QB

I watched the games. The stats match my eyes. If Cook was effective, we would have used Cook more.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.