Bills add Miami Hurricanes DB coach Jahmile Addae to coach secondary

Gregg

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

With this move there is a Good chance Bills have a good look at Miami - S - Kareem Kinchens. Hope he makes it to us in the second round. 

Don’t be surprised if the Bills grab saftey Tykee smith from Georgia in the  middle rounds. He was an All American at WVU and when Addae left WVU for the job at Georgia he took Tykee Smith with him. 

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/25/tykee-smith-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Don’t be surprised if the Bills grab saftey Tykee smith from Georgia in the  middle rounds. He was an All American at WVU and when Addae left WVU for the job at Georgia he took Tykee Smith with him. 

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/25/tykee-smith-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

He would be the one player who played under Addae who I think the Bills would target. He did have a good year for Georgia this past season. 

Don't usually see such a negative response to the hiring of a position coach for the Bills.  Would have thought based on his resume that he would have been more likely to be the assistant DB coach.  Surprised there was not better candidates available, at least in terms of NFL experience and reputation.  I guess we will see.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's known as being a hard a$$ in an age when players get coddled............which of course, doesn't help you much as a recruiter.

Maybe not having the recruiting responsibility will make him easier to work with.

Sad to see John Butler go but figured that would happen once he got passed over for Bobby Babich jr.

This happened quietly, no? Butler has since 2018 overseen a defensive backs room that has seemingly overachieved each year (in collaboration with other excellent DB coaches on staff, of course). How did I miss this?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As a Hurricanes fan I was glad to see him go when I saw the headline.

Later found out he was going to the Bills. 😂

He just wasn't pulling his weight as a recruiter.

He could turn out to be a great coach for the Bills........he came to Miami well regarded........he just did the worst recruiting job of any position coach on staff and that aspect has only become more important in recent years.    

What I'd look for is the Bills to maybe gain a little scouting edge on late round DB's..........he has recruited a lot of these guys(mostly unsuccessfully) in this draft class while at West Virginia/Georgia/Miami.

Does this increase or decrease the chances James Williams is a Bill next year?

5 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahh, not so sure Butler is a good coach. 

He was DB coach at PSU, hired partly on the recommendation of Bill OBriens strength coach. 

Then promoted to DC because OB was too lazy to do a search. 

Failed miserably as a DC and would throw players under the bus. 

Then went to Texans with OB but fired as his unit performed poorly. 

Then hired by his high school buddy McDermott. 

Seems to me the guys floats by on his buddies coattails. 

And before someone chimes in that he did a great job coaching up Tre, Hyde, and Poyer—they were all on team for at least one season  before Butler started. 

The only DB to develop under Butler was Taron Johnson. 

This is exactly what I'm curious about. Butler, by title, has overseen the ascension of some seriously over-achieving, day three starting DBs like Taron Johnson and Christian Benford, and available free agents like Hyde and Poyer (from their 2nd years-on), as well as above average spot starters with limited physical traits like Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson. 

Ways people could try to downplay or mitigate Butler's impact on the above players' developments above and beyond general expectations include primarily acknowledging the presence of both Frazier (former CB) and McDermott (former S) until 2023, as well as Babich, who coached Safeties specifically for a few years there when things were humming with that duo (and then moved on to LBs who immediately thrived no matter who was plugged in -- until we got to a retired AJ Klein covering Travis Kelce m2m in the playoffs). 

I can't see anything in Butler's departure other than a net loss, on paper. But then again, if there's anything we should trust McD to do, it's get the most out of his secondary talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Monty98 said:

I just don't want him associated with either team I like...why couldn't he go to the Dolphins. I saw this on FB first and was like oh no 🤮 then I was like...well...the U got better.

The passing efficiency #s at Miami make me sick.

Universally as in not just the players. Staff and board were not on board with him at Miami and the way he went about business

So it's a bit misleading. Tyrique Stevenson was going to be drafted regardless and left Georgia to come home to Miami, DJ Ivey was a draft pick based on measurables. Any one who watched Miami can tell you that he was not good. The two safeties this year getting drafted are Kam Kitchens and James Williams who just played linebacker at the senior bowl. Kam will get drafted because he is a gambler at times and has a knack for making big plays in big situations.

As a Miami Hurricane season ticket holder, I would love to see Kam Kitchens in a Bills uniform. He has great instincts. I am going to say a name that he reminds me of when he was in college. I am not saying he will be as good as the person I am about to name, but I do remember saying back when that other player played for the Hurricanes how he had a knack for the football.

Hint: The former player also was a former coach for the Bills.

Name:

Ed Reed

According to the Miami Herald, 247sports ranked Addae as the number 2 recruiter. 

Herald Article on Addae

Edited by Peter

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's known as being a hard a$$ in an age when players get coddled............

Let go from the Hurricanes for rubbing players and staff the wrong way and generally being an #######.... does that approach work better on wealthy grown men professionals?

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Welcome Coach Addae.

Let me be the first to say "Fire Addae"

Spoken like a true Bills fan !!! 😎 

What i want to know is when will they fire the ST's coach or have they & 1 of the 2 hired guys took his place ? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, wppete said:

With this move there is a Good chance Bills have a good look at Miami - S - Kareem Kinchens. Hope he makes it to us in the second round. 

If the Bills get a Kitchen(s) for James to Cook some Bass in for a Sunday Fins fry Buffalo will be a very highly sought after happy place to be !!

Just cause i miss the WNY fish fry's ! Go Bills .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

He did a crossover with Antoine Winfield Jr at Minnesota as well. So there is an unrealistic FA connection. He also crossed over with the Kelce brothers at Cincinnati so he has had an interesting path. 

I am surprised they moved on from Butler. McDermott always went out of his way to praise Butler, but with Babich jumping him I get it. 

21 minutes ago, T master said:

Spoken like a true Bills fan !!! 😎 

What i want to know is when will they fire the ST's coach or have they & 1 of the 2 hired guys took his place ? 

They haven't and I feel like if they were going to it would have been done by now

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Realist said:

Seems like Butler is pissed he didn't get the DC job and refused to work for Babich.

Which makes his X post seem a little misleading tbh - comes off as "they got rid of me and I'm a great DB coach" when in reality it more likely is "I didn't get DC and I'm a great DB coach"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.