State of Mississippi demands repayment from Favre

stuvian

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah we can not like it when the government pays for things like that but they do it through the system and there's a way to hold them accountable if anyone would actually do it. Stealing money that's actually been set aside for welfare seems a bit different.

They should be, but Farve is just as much a part of this, it's like holding the inside man more accountable than the guy on the outside.

they don't--the correct system to go through would be a ballot initiative for such an amount.  

Favre is definitely in the wrong if he knew he wasn't due that money.  It seems he was paid for speeches he didn't make.  Had he made the speeches, he would be in the clear, no matter where the funds came from.

These rednecks need their own country...

34 minutes ago, MR8 said:

This isn't accurate, he didn't embezzle it, that would imply that he kept it. But he didn't knowingly redirected to the University of Southern Mississippi to help build a volleyball stadium rather than a being used for welfare. Which is also absolutely gross...

All that said, it seems like nobody actually read this article... In this, it states after the issue in 2017 and it coming to light, Favre repaid all $1.1M, $500K 2020 and $600K in 2021... But now the accusation is he owes $729,790 in interest.  Which is laughable honeslty that he'd owe 66% interest.  It even called it a loan... Which it wasn't.  It was a clear misappropriation of government funds, which legislators should also be held accountable for. 

On top of that, it's illegal to earn interest on Federal money as it is earmarked for expenditure or return only.  If a state gets $10M in Federal funds they can't put it in the stock market to appreciate, so demanding interest from Favre on a "loan" of Federal money is actually illegal.

"Embezzlement" was shorthand for what you said. Not the strict legal definition.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

12 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

The countersuit cites the Mississippi code RE the interest on page 28. It's not illegal. 

Favre also agrees to pay back the $1.1 mil plus interest the day before his first payment of $500,000.

Correct, I miss spoke, federal funding for projects cannot be invested, federal grants to non-profits can be but interest earned can only be kept up to $500... That was the point, demanding interest is sketchy at best, but him agreeing to pay it is a PR move.

Just now, MR8 said:

Correct, I miss spoke, federal funding for projects cannot be invested, federal grants to non-profits can be but interest earned can only be kept up to $500... That was the point, demanding interest is sketchy at best, but him agreeing to pay it is a PR move.

I mean I can say "snorkel" is the short hand for scuba diving ... Doesn't make it correct.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

It’s really disappointing (to me) what a horrible human being we’re finding out that Favre is. 

Through his entire run with Green Bay, Favre was my favorite player in the NFL. 

From that point, he’s really put himself on display as an absolute piece of sh!t. 

I used to love Farve as well.  I changed my opinion on him when his wife was battling cancer and he was sending D*** pics to that Florida State fan.  Wife is battling a life threatening disease and you're hitting on college women?  He is a public figure, this news gets out.  She's fighting cancer and the embarrassment of her husbands actions at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, julian said:

Favre was awesome to watch playing football, until Allen came along he was my favourite QB to watch play and now he’s 2nd.

I’m not hiring him to watch over my family’s billion dollar estate, so news of him being greasy with tax payers money has zero impact on me.

Government officials misappropriating funds… shocker.

I dont understand the negative reactions to your post.

It is actually trying to look at it from a non-emotional basis and if this has any real impact on your life which the answer is no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It sucks doesn't it?  I liked him a ton too and it's kind of a kick in the nuts he turned out to be this way.  But he is human, and was a pro athlete, which means we kind of build an image of what we think they are. 

Sometimes we are right ( see Payton Manning, Barry Sanders etal.) And sometimes we are wrong  like with Favre. 

I mean Peyton did settle out of court speaking of nuts. 

41 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont understand the negative reactions to your post.

It is actually trying to look at it from a non-emotional basis and if this has any real impact on your life which the answer is no.

Yeah, I guess I’m just heartless lol but this type of reported behaviour does nothing to alter my view of the player on the field, and since I have no other connection to this human being away from the gridiron I really don’t give a rats a**.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Anyway, it's the height of hypocrisy for the State of Mississippi (the poorest state and one of the 3 least educated) to be going after "welfare money" when the same government spends 14 million a year for just 3 of their public college football coaches.

Priorities. Education isn't on their list.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

There are text messages. There was a denial, but not plausible. He's truly a piece of garbage. 

I did see that and if it’s accurate, seems skeevy at best. Plausibility is a value statement, what was his denial about it? 

21 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Do anyone have a good article explaining what happened exactly here, that’s fair for each sides point of view? This one seems a bit biased and gives no idea as to Favres stance (I realize there have probably been articles ad nauseam).

Question I have, was this willfully accepting money knowing it was not for this by Favre? Is there plausible deniability?  It may not matter to the law but would change my view on how I look at Favre.

ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light. 

try searching the World Wide Web, you lazy 🤬

jjeeesh

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

It’s really disappointing (to me) what a horrible human being we’re finding out that Favre is. 

Through his entire run with Green Bay, Favre was my favorite player in the NFL. 

From that point, he’s really put himself on display as an absolute piece of sh!t. 

Careful, Mr. Favre seems quite litigious. 

5 hours ago, FitzShowUsYourTitz said:

try searching the World Wide Web, you lazy 🤬

jjeeesh

Try not being such a douche. There are certainly hundreds of articles out there on this subject. I’m asking people specifically, who have been following this, if they’ve come across a fair representation of what happened without bias? Do you go to the robber that just robbed your house and ask them if they robbed your house and believe them when they say no? ESPN has the same reason to put this in a certain light, so they’re not exactly non-biased on this. I don’t blame them for that, just that they’re biased and I wanted a more neutral tone. So I asked the sleuths that have been following if they know of a good article. Some have responded appropriately, others are rude like yourself. Carry on 

23 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I did see that and if it’s accurate, seems skeevy at best. Plausibility is a value statement, what was his denial about it? 

As far as I can remember, he denied any wrongdoing and blamed the media. Yes, he blamed the media, lol

And there's this:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/brett-favre-still-refuses-to-repay-mississippi-730k-for-speaking-fees-he-had-no-legal-right-to/

Hard to believe there are no criminal charges in this case....

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not hard to believe at all..

Blatant illegality, greed and corruption are all the rage these days and Mississippi has always been run like a banana republic;  a network of rich white good ol boys doing whatever they want. If they get caught they just investigate themselves and clear themselves of wrongdoing. 

Did I mention that Favre is a greedy unethical scumbag?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:44 AM, julian said:

Favre was awesome to watch playing football, until Allen came along he was my favourite QB to watch play and now he’s 2nd.

I’m not hiring him to watch over my family’s billion dollar estate, so news of him being greasy with tax payers money has zero impact on me.

Government officials misappropriating funds… shocker.

What an ignorant, head-in-the-sand comment.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to love Farve as well.  I changed my opinion on him when his wife was battling cancer and he was sending D*** pics to that Florida State fan.  Wife is battling a life threatening disease and you're hitting on college women?  He is a public figure, this news gets out.  She's fighting cancer and the embarrassment of her husbands actions at the same time.

Ah yes, Jenn Sterger…Brett Musberger remembers her as well…

On 2/6/2024 at 3:44 AM, HamSandwhich said:

Do anyone have a good article explaining what happened exactly here, that’s fair for each sides point of view? This one seems a bit biased and gives no idea as to Favres stance (I realize there have probably been articles ad nauseam).

Question I have, was this willfully accepting money knowing it was not for this by Favre? Is there plausible deniability?  It may not matter to the law but would change my view on how I look at Favre.

ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light. 

Obviously I'm late to this thread, but as the only living member of Bills Mafia in the 90's from Mississippi, I can clif note this whole saga. 

The federal government sends TANF funds to each state for families living below the poverty line. (MS is the poorest state in the U.S. and 20% of Mississippian's live below the poverty line)

The previous and current governors of MS, Phil Bryant and Tate Reeves, basically made those funds their own personal slush fund, spending over $1 million on personal trainers (with no results!), investing into companies, including $2 million in a nasal spray Favre was hawking that could cure concussions, plus over $5 million for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi (his daughter was on the team at the time), and much more. So far, around $90 million has been discovered as embezzled and funneled elsewhere. 

Of the 600,000 Mississippian's that live below the poverty line, only 200 people received any TANF funds. 

In addition to all this, Favre knowingly tried to be discreet about it because he knew it was wrong and he'd take a beating in the media. Of course it got out, he tried to intimidate people like Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe by suing them and of course he lost. The state auditor is just as culpable, it happened on his watch and he didn't do anything about it until the FBI started investigating it, since then he's been acting like the whistleblower, but he's really just another wannabe politician. 

In summary: MS is also the least educated state in the US, the most unhealthy, with citizen's averaging the shortest life span than any other state, even though the state leadership claims they're pro-life. The state really hasn't changed much since the end of the Civil War and the people who were stolen from essentially are used to being taken advantage like this and have too much real-life poverty concerns to spend time being outraged about this. Mississippi is also a small pond with big fish as they say, and this type of stuff has been going on there for centuries. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Obviously I'm late to this thread, but as the only living member of Bills Mafia in the 90's from Mississippi, I can clif note this whole saga. 

The federal government sends TANF funds to each state for families living below the poverty line. (MS is the poorest state in the U.S. and 20% of Mississippian's live below the poverty line)

The previous and current governors of MS, Phil Bryant and Tate Reeves, basically made those funds their own personal slush fund, spending over $1 million on personal trainers (with no results!), investing into companies, including $2 million in a nasal spray Favre was hawking that could cure concussions, plus over $5 million for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi (his daughter was on the team at the time), and much more. So far, around $90 million has been discovered as embezzled and funneled elsewhere. 

Of the 600,000 Mississippian's that live below the poverty line, only 200 people received any TANF funds. 

In addition to all this, Favre knowingly tried to be discreet about it because he knew it was wrong and he'd take a beating in the media. Of course it got out, he tried to intimidate people like Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe by suing them and of course he lost. The state auditor is just as culpable, it happened on his watch and he didn't do anything about it until the FBI started investigating it, since then he's been acting like the whistleblower, but he's really just another wannabe politician. 

In summary: MS is also the least educated state in the US, the most unhealthy, with citizen's averaging the shortest life span than any other state, even though the state leadership claims they're pro-life. The state really hasn't changed much since the end of the Civil War and the people who were stolen from essentially are used to being taken advantage like this and have too much real-life poverty concerns to spend time being outraged about this. Mississippi is also a small pond with big fish as they say, and this type of stuff has been going on there for centuries. 

People should be in jail for this and the Fed govt should be leading the investigations, not the good ol boys

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, extrahammer said:

43 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

People should be in jail for this and the Fed govt should be leading the investigations, not the good ol boys

They did the opposite of Robin Hood. Steel from the poor and give to the rich. That's ***** low

Agree, and it looks like some are gonna get some form of justice (the million dollar mans son!), and others bit so much.  Money, fame and power goes along way. I could see how a backward state like Miss could be even worse

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Agree 2

All this to say, Favre is a complete idiot. Whether the Jenn Sterger harrassment (while Favre's wife was fighting cancer) or this, the dude has a mental problem and knows he can get away with a lot just by his name. The irony in the welfare scandal he stole from is that Favre made over $150 million in his career. 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:13 AM, HamSandwhich said:

Try not being such a douche. There are certainly hundreds of articles out there on this subject. I’m asking people specifically, who have been following this, if they’ve come across a fair representation of what happened without bias? Do you go to the robber that just robbed your house and ask them if they robbed your house and believe them when they say no? ESPN has the same reason to put this in a certain light, so they’re not exactly non-biased on this. I don’t blame them for that, just that they’re biased and I wanted a more neutral tone. So I asked the sleuths that have been following if they know of a good article. Some have responded appropriately, others are rude like yourself. Carry on 

OMG. It’s no wonder your screen name is not as smart as a ham sandwich 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FitzShowUsYourTitz said:

OMG. It’s no wonder your screen name is not as smart as a ham sandwich 

I don’t expect you to understand the inside joke as you’re on the outside. 

I can tell you’re full of wisdom by your usage of “OMG” /sarcasm

Edited by HamSandwhich

On 2/12/2024 at 9:23 AM, extrahammer said:

All this to say, Favre is a complete idiot. Whether the Jenn Sterger harrassment (while Favre's wife was fighting cancer) or this, the dude has a mental problem and knows he can get away with a lot just by his name. The irony in the welfare scandal he stole from is that Favre made over $150 million in his career. 

He doesn't have a mental problem...he's just stupid.  He's a stupid athlete whose gifts throwing an oblong object prevented him from trying to become an educated member of society.  Not only that, his skill and fame gave him a sense of invincibility.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:25 PM, Southern Bills Fan said:

I was born and raised in Rochester and lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for 25 years. I moved back to Rochester about 4 years ago so I have a pretty good perspective on the two places. Most people who trash Mississippi, including on here, have never even been there. They get their information from tv and movies and assume its just a bunch of white dudes in pickups chasing a black guy trying to beat him. It's not like that at all, the Gulf Coast of Mississippi is nicer than anywhere in western NY. My fathers family is from Bath, NY and I can assure you that driving around the southern tier you will see twice as many confederate flags as in MS. Any black person who has lived in both places will tell you that the racism in the north is way worse than in the south.

You know this how, exactly?    Even if you were a black person, how can you claim to speak for all blacks who have lived in both places?  

Aside from that, most states are large enough that there are huge differences between various regions within each state.   My guess is that the Gulf Coast is significantly different from the Delta just as Long Island is almost an alien world compared to the Adirondaks.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.