Should the Bills trade up for their own “Julio Jones”

DJB

Trade up?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Trade up?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

he's shown no aptitude for evaluating WR talent.

Considering he's never Drafted a WR before Round 4, of which Gabe Davis was the only 4th Rounder (everyone else was picked Round 5-7) - I don't know how you can make that assessment.

Actually, considering that fact, landing guys like Davis, Khalil Shakir, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Isaiah Hodgins - who have become contributors here or around the league, I'd say his success rate is actually pretty good. 

Justin Shorter was red shirted last season so we don't know what he'll become yet. The only ones to fail were Marquez Stevenson (Late 6th) and Austin Proehl (Round 7).

Going 4 of 6 on Day 3 Draft Picks, who are still on rosters with varying degrees of success is about as good as you can ask for. It's exceedingly rare to find a stud on Day 3.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes, various scenarios could very well  play out, but there are absolutely no guarantees that any teams picks will pan out as anticipated wether they trade up or stand pat…, 

True, so why reduce the number of chances you have on potentially hitting on very good to great players at other positions? We’re not talking about trading up for a QB here. It’s a WR. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

Is the time right now to do this with Josh and our window ?

Or should I put down the pipe and stick to trashing Tua? 

Can’t see Beane doing this in a stacked class like this BUT I’d be all about it if it meant we got Odunze. That dude is going to be a beast at the next level

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Can’t see Beane doing this in a stacked class like this BUT I’d be all about it if it meant we got Odunze. That dude is going to be a beast at the next level

If we are going to dream … I’ll take Harrison… it’s just as likely to happen 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

AFTER they address WR.  We can't keep giving Allen trash that can't get open and drop passes.

The drops mantra is the latest bogus issue to infect fans' thinking.

Chiefs led the league in drops with 44.  Bills were 8th with 30.  Just about the whole league was at 20 or above. 

How many fans are on the Chiefs website this week complaining about drops.   

Drops doesn't correlate with making the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were on the top of the list, Niners were on the bottom with 9!  They were a real outlier.  

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree with that, but we would probably have to go to pick 2 or 3 to get him, and we can't afford to give up the picks it would take to get there.  We will just have to settle for Jerry Rice's kid instead.  

We should aim for Justin Armour's nephew or Al Edwards Son in Law 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

We have a lot of potential holes on defense to fill.  Can't trade the bounty to move up.

7 minutes ago, Brand J said:

True, so why reduce the number of chances you have on potentially hitting on very good to great players at other positions? We’re not talking about trading up for a QB here. It’s a WR. 

This is correct. The fourth WR off the board last year probably had the best rookie season. The first had a slow start, and the second has major bust concerns already. The second best WR taken was pick 55.

In 2022, the top 2 WR’s were the second or third off the board. The arguably third best was pick 52.

In 2021, the best WR was the first off the board at #5. The second best was pick 112.

In 2020, best WR was the fourth off the board. The second best was third off the board. The third and fourth best were fifth and sixth off the board. 

Moral of the story, don’t trade up for a WR. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Chiefs led the league in drops with 44.  Bills were 8th with 30.  Just about the whole league was at 20 or above. 

Drops doesn't correlate with making the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were on the top of the list, Niners were on the bottom with 9!  They were a real outlier.  

They haven’t been dropping the ball in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree with that, but we would probably have to go to pick 2 or 3 to get him, and we can't afford to give up the picks it would take to get there.  We will just have to settle for Jerry Rice's kid instead.  

if B. Rice is sitting there in later rounds we should run to the podium. Developmental pick but has all the right traits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Brand J said:

did you not read my initial post all the way through?

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Good luck with that

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm a fan of Gabe, but he's probably gone.  Shakir is decent WR3 material.  But...so what?

No ability to evaluate WR talent, but finding WR talent that you like on Day 3? 

Threads like this are why we should have more draft talk during the season.

We get to the offseason and then with no Bills games to discuss we get posts like this.

The Bills are drafting 28th..........it would cost years of first and second round picks to move up for this years version of Julio Jones..........just not feasible for a team who probably needs to roster 10 or more rookies in each of the next few years to deal with cap issues while it tries to stay competitive with a QB who hopefully has another 10 years ahead of him.

Be patient those of you who don't follow college football............over the next 6 weeks you will learn a lot about these players and realize that there is talent to be had outside of the top of the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

did you not read my initial post all the way through?

I did, but disputed the “sure thing” support for a trade up. Agreed with your second point.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, we have to put somebody out there on the DLine. 

That's fine, but reverse the process and instead of bringing in scrub WRs and late pick Wrs, bring in scrub DL and late round picks.  We do have this guy Josh Allen who has needed help for years now.  But let's make sure we keep the most talented defense we can afford and use our best draft capital on a group that literally no shows every year come playoffs

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree to disagree 😁  

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

AFTER they address WR.  We can't keep giving Allen trash that can't get open and drop passes.

agree.  there will be enough DT talent later in the draft.  Need to draft above JAG WR’s who are ready to play this season. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.