Three Potential Landing Spots For Tee Higgins

Peace Frog

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I don't know. What I do know is that Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are very close and have indicated that they want to keep playing together. Duke Tobin's comments about the situation were kind of odd: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/31/bengals-duke-tobin-tee-higgins-franchise-tag-rumors-speculation/ 

I think Tobin knows Higgins playing on the tag is not a realistic option. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe that's true, but there seems to be an assumption here in town that he would. When I listen to local sports talk radio, this is the primary topic of conversation. The debate is about whether the team should tag him or use that money to bolster the lines, but his refusing to play on the tag is never brought up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d be really surprised if they don’t tag and trade him, they have the room to do it and unlike some dumb teams who let guys walk and hope for compensation picks, they can just work it out to get their picks this year.  Think AJ Brown, Eagles gave up a first and paid him, I’d bet someone is willing to give up a second and pay Higgins, the way the Bears waste picks they might even make it a first 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mike Brown is the kind of owner that would let a player sit out though. It makes little sense to not tag Higgins. Letting him walk would net them a 3rd round comp pick in 2025 - and only if they have a net FA loss. Tagging him gives them options - sign long term, trade or get his play for one more season. It’s substantial money, but the trio of Burrow, Chase and Higgins is bringing in the cash too. Brown has to at least make it look like he’s trying to keep that trio intact. If he winds up getting a first rounder plus for him - and he will if he trades him - then that’ll be good for the team and it’ll save face for him and the organization. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Marquise Brown would be a fantastic fit on the Bills - as well as many other teams. A contract in the $7M-$10M AAV range is dreaming though. There would be no shortage of teams willing to hand that over to him today. I can see it getting bid up in a hurry. Teams will pay for his potential. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Marquise Brown would be a fantastic fit on the Bills - as well as many other teams. A contract in the $7M-$10M AAV range is dreaming though. There would be no shortage of teams willing to hand that over to him today. I can see it getting bid up in a hurry. Teams will pay for his potential. 

Yea the same. I'd be up for Hollywood. That would allow you to go for someone like Mitchell in the draft too and have a size guy who catches everything (Mitchell), a route runner who dominates in the intermediate zones (Diggs) and a blazer who is a threat deep and with the ball in hand (Hollywood).

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd take Higgins over Ridley every day and twice on Sundays. 

But Ridley on a 1 year deal here is interesting. I still think he is likley out of our price range though. 

You are either too high, and/or too high on Higgins.  lol.  He is good but not great like you seem to think Gunner..  He doesn't play with a lot of twitchiness.  Ridley has great speed which we need.  I don't think we are going to have a lot of cap space for big ticket WR's.  Lets get two in the draft, and develop Justin Shorter.  

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are either too high, and/or too high on Higgins.  lol.  He is good but not great like you seem to think Gunner..  He doesn't play with a lot of twitchiness.  Ridley has great speed which we need.  I don't think we are going to have a lot of cap space for big ticket WR's.  Lets get two in the draft, and develop Justin Shorter.  

Higgins is a low end #1 / very top end #2. 

He is a better receiver than Calvin Ridley who I think has always been somewhat overrated.

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

No money, unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

There is a few NFL ready WRs in the draft this year. Harrison Jr. will be gone around the 4-7 spot. 

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’d be really surprised if they don’t tag and trade him, they have the room to do it and unlike some dumb teams who let guys walk and hope for compensation picks, they can just work it out to get their picks this year.  Think AJ Brown, Eagles gave up a first and paid him, I’d bet someone is willing to give up a second and pay Higgins, the way the Bears waste picks they might even make it a first 😂 

How have Bears “wasted picks”?  It seems to me they’ve been highly astute in the maximization of their draft capital…although that’s not to say their actual selections have been astute.  The only example I can think of is the second they gave up for Claypool a few years ago.

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Hollywood Brown anyone?🤔

Would be interesting, potentially a great signing, along with a day 1 or 2 WR

I'd be fine with Hollywood Brown. Signing a player like him would lessen the need to take a WR in the 1st round of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think Mooney fits with what we value, a guy with position flexibility that can really separate.  Value should be down a bit coming from that run first situation in CHI.

Ideal scenario would then be to add more of an outside physical presence like Legette in the draft.

I would pair Mooney with A. Mitchell.

I would not be surprised if the Pats took Higgins in FA to pair with JD. Higgins is what Devante Parker should be but is not. They are fine with what they have got as slot receivers.

Edited by starrymessenger

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yes.  This is a great idea if he's medically good.  Turn it up a few more notches.

Diggs

Round 1 - Brian Thomas Jr / Troy Franklin 

Round 2- Xavier Legette / _______________ 

Hollywood

Shakir (slot)

Harty (?) 

Shorter 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

33 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yes.  This is a great idea if he's medically good.  Turn it up a few more notches.

Diggs

Round 1 - Brian Thomas Jr / Troy Franklin 

Round 2- Xavier Legette / _______________ 

Hollywood

Shakir (slot)

Harty (?) 

Shorter 

Don't think they can afford two wrs in first 2 rds unless they trade back, plus with Beanes history of  Davis (4th) and Shakir (5th) were contributers and potentially Shorter after a red shirt year, so unless they have a blue chip prospect they won't and shouldn't double dip at wr

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Tee will be tagged. These days the tag is very, very rarely used to actually keep a player an extra year and then let them walk. The tag is only used to retain control beyond the league year and the legal tampering period opening and allowing you more time to do a long term deal. So you have to believe the Bengals are going to pay Tee long term I think for them to tag him. And I just don't see that. Spotrac has Tee at $18.6m but that is too low IMO. Mike Williams got $20m AAV. Chris Godwin got $20m AAV. He is better than both. A team is going to pay Tee to be a number 1 receiver. He is going to be somewhere around Terry McLaurin money - about $22.5m AAV. 

I don't think Cincy are committing that much to him with Chase due to re-set the market (and the top of the market is currently Tyreek at $30m AAV.... Chase is going past that) later this summer. They could try and hold off paying Chase until after next year but his side are agitating and the best way to spread the hits out is to include years 4 and 5 of the rookie deal in the new contract structure.  

Either he gets his extension this summer with his 4th and 5th year hits remaining on his Rookie deal, or they wait until next offseason or the following to do the extension.

The result remains the same though. Cap wise, Chase stays far lower than he should for two more seasons. The Bengals big advantage is having essentially two #1's on the field. They can afford to pay for both Chase and Higgins for at least two more years.

Could easily give Higgins an extension for 3 more seasons, that pays him well and keeps Chase at the same time. Put in an out after Year 2, in the event that they can't afford Higgins and Chase beyond that. 

At 61 million under, the Bengals are in great shape cap wise. Remove Higgins and that greatly effects their Offense. They're in a position where they don't have to do that. 

If they can't get a deal done before the window, they'll Franchise him so he doesn't hit the market and then work out the extension so he's not playing on the tag. I never suggested he'd be playing on the Tag anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Either he gets his extension this summer with his 4th and 5th year hits remaining on his Rookie deal, or they wait until next offseason or the following to do the extension.

The result remains the same though. Cap wise, Chase stays far lower than he should for two more seasons. The Bengals big advantage is having essentially two #1's on the field. They can afford to pay for both Chase and Higgins for at least two more years.

Could easily give Higgins an extension for 3 more seasons, that pays him well and keeps Chase at the same time. Put in an out after Year 2, in the event that they can't afford Higgins and Chase beyond that. 

At 61 million under, the Bengals are in great shape cap wise. Remove Higgins and that greatly effects their Offense. They're in a position where they don't have to do that. 

If they can't get a deal done before the window, they'll Franchise him so he doesn't hit the market and then work out the extension so he's not playing on the tag. I never suggested he'd be playing on the Tag anyways.

Tee isn't gonna sign for a 3 year contract (unless it is like fully guaranteed) He was a 2nd rounder. This is his moment to absolute maximise his value. 

I think he is done in Cincy.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tee isn't gonna sign for a 3 year contract (unless it is like fully guaranteed) He was a 2nd rounder. This is his moment to absolute maximise his value. 

I've assumed that the Bengals would just use the franchise tag on him.

They are one of the few teams that has used it regularly in recent years.

They used it on AJ Green in 2020 and Jessie Bates in 2022 and avoided long term commitments to either.

Green never bounced back from injury but Bates was very good for that 1 year and bought them time to draft and develop a replacement.

I know the Bengals can be cheap but this seems like an easy decision.........dump Boyd........get one more year of Higgins........draft his replacement this spring and allow that player to develop as WR3 in place of Boyd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I've yet to hear that he's unhappy in Cincinnati or that Cincinnati doesn't want him back.

On the contrary, Duke Tobin said he wants him back. Chase, Burrow, and Higgins are tight. 

Given Cincinnati's cap space, them wanting him back, him having a good relationship there with a Top 5 NFL QB, Chase and Higgins being so integral to their success, having Chase for 2 more years under his Rookie deal, and having the ability to easily retain him without having to even let him hit the market - I dont see how he goes anywhere. It would be like us having a bunch of money and then making the choice to let one of our top players go when we didn't have to.

But I guess we'll see. One things for sure though, wherever he plays next season - it won't be Buffalo.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 hours ago, mannc said:

How have Bears “wasted picks”?  It seems to me they’ve been highly astute in the maximization of their draft capital…although that’s not to say their actual selections have been astute.  The only example I can think of is the second they gave up for Claypool a few years ago.

And another second for Sweat and then made him absurdly over paid.  Could have just waited and paid him.

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

'tis the time of the season that people get all excited for all the big names who are set to become FA's.

Then the Tags come down and most of the names everyone got excited about are off the market.

Read awhile back somewhere that for the most part players that are really good or great, either get re-signed or tagged before they ever hit the market.  And the ones that do become actual free agents, there's often a reason for it i.e. T Edmunds.  There are some that are good signings, but not that many and most of the good ones that are worth the money they sign for are the ones that get signed weeks after FA starts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They used it on AJ Green in 2020 and Jessie Bates in 2022 and avoided long term commitments to either.

Green never bounced back from injury but Bates was very good for that 1 year and bought them time to draft and develop a replacement.

I know the Bengals can be cheap but this seems like an easy decision.........dump Boyd........get one more year of Higgins........draft his replacement this spring and allow that player to develop as WR3 in place of Boyd.

Pretty sure the knock on Tee coming out was he didn't separate, something to keep in mind moving forward.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree that this is the most logical approach for the org, but...depends upon the answer to the question: will Higgins actually report? *prior to whatever week late in the season that allows him to become a FA again (week 12? - I like putting my best guess out there online (no cheating) to answer another question: am I bright or am I dim?***).

***I think we all know the answer here

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

And another second for Sweat and then made him absurdly over paid.  Could have just waited and paid him.

Sweat turned around the Bears’ defense after the trade.  He is going to be a cornerstone for them.  It was a very good trade. They never could have gotten a player like Sweat in round 2 of the draft.

40 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree that this is the most logical approach for the org, but...depends upon the answer to the question: will Higgins actually report? *prior to whatever week late in the season that allows him to become a FA again (week 12? - I like putting my best guess out there online (no cheating) to answer another question: am I bright or am I dim?***).

***I think we all know the answer here

I don't think you make the decision about whether to use the franchise tag on a player based on whether you think that player will report to camp or not.

It's generally proven to be a terrible decision for the player to not to be out there opening day.

There is enough data on it and players generally just roll with it and take that big guaranteed paycheck.   Worked past couple times Bengals did it.

Letting a valuable asset like that walk for nothing when you have plenty of immediate cap space to tie them up would be malpractice, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.