For those who didn't know: Tom Brady is set to replace Greg Olsen as the FOX lead analyst next year

chongli

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I don't get why they don't put Brady on a lower team and allow him to grow into the role, rather than throw him into the A Team straight away.

Well, he is the goat and he needs to be given a spot worthy of his huge contract.  You know, name recognition and all. Like Taylor Swift. He will generate millions for FOX. He has earned. If he is on some lower team, people would complain en masse.

It's going to be so strange to hear Brady doing these games full-time. 

From what I've seen so far, it looks like his angle is "I'm the old school football guy." He's always saying how it's impossible to play defense now, the game is softer, etc. 

Hilariously ironic, for sure, given that he would throw a tantrum if anyone touched him. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Well, the thing is, Brady will not be assigned to a crappy game. He will almost be on the top game of the week. And from the article:

"With the NFL dominating entertainment, networks are now partly defined by their football coverage. No. 1 NFL analysts command the mega-salaries that used to flow to network news anchors like Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather.".

The NFL is an experience, and the networks want to put their best product out with the best game. And Greg Olsen's salary next year will go down to just $3 million for the B-team, hardly top dollar in the grand scheme of things.

Also, the name recognition helps generate brand value. Exhibit A: Taylor Swift:

Will they give her a ring when the Chiefs win the Super Bowl ?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel a bit for Greg. I think he has got better each year he has been on the job. He was certainly an upgrade on Troy Aikman. But there was just always something about him that didn't seem to carry the gavitas of a big network #1 color guy. 

I have no idea how Brady will be. Greg should go to Prime and do the Thursday Night gig. Because my word Kirb is unlistenable. 

Him and Al Michaels in the booth would be good actually 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m actually curious to hear how Brady sees the field and action in real time.  For as much as he won with less athletic ability than most around him on the football field, he should have as good as grasp as anyone what’s happening on the field and be able to share that the audience (ie “if that were me, I’d have made sure the balls were deflated before the game”).

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I want you to watch….that not happen. 😂

2 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Did you get that I was poking fun at Romo, as he says “I want you to watch….”, about 10 times per game? 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, chongli said:

Well, the thing is, Brady will not be assigned to a crappy game. He will almost be on the top game of the week. And from the article:

"With the NFL dominating entertainment, networks are now partly defined by their football coverage. No. 1 NFL analysts command the mega-salaries that used to flow to network news anchors like Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather.".

The NFL is an experience, and the networks want to put their best product out with the best game. And Greg Olsen's salary next year will go down to just $3 million for the B-team, hardly top dollar in the grand scheme of things.

Also, the name recognition helps generate brand value. Exhibit A: Taylor Swift:

I’d be very curious to know how they came up with that $331 million figure. What exactly is “brand value?”

I’m sure that tons of her rabid fans ran out and bought #87 Chiefs jerseys, and maybe other Chiefs apparel & merchandise, but I can’t imagine that adding up to $331 million. And I seriously doubt that they’re attending games and/or watching the games on TV for 3 hours so that they can catch a few shots of her. And does anybody really think that the Moms of all these teenage girls have now also become NFL fans just because their daughters are Swifites? I don’t.

It seems really forced by the major networks, and I’m wondering why. PLENTY of NFL players have/have had hot/famous significant others, but the flaunting of them was/is nowhere near what this is. And of course, most NFL fans are just sick and tired of it, and just want to see the action on the field.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 1

i dont really get Brady wanting to do this.  i see the money,  that i get,  but beyond that,  doesnt seem right for him.   care less if Greg goes or stays,  he wasnt terrible imo,  but the whole thing just looks weird to me.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

i dont really get Brady wanting to do this.  i see the money,  that i get,  but beyond that,  doesnt seem right for him.   care less if Greg goes or stays,  he wasnt terrible imo,  but the whole thing just looks weird to me.

He's an alpha male and he is probably bored. Why not stay relevant and keep your time occupied?

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel a bit for Greg. I think he has got better each year he has been on the job. He was certainly an upgrade on Troy Aikman. But there was just always something about him that didn't seem to carry the gavitas of a big network #1 color guy. 

I have no idea how Brady will be. Greg should go to Prime and do the Thursday Night gig. Because my word Kirb is unlistenable. 

Well sure, I feel for Greg, but I also feel for me and everyone else who thinks he's done a great job.  He's as good as Romo was in his first couple of years, before the change happened and he became no more insightful that a knowledgeable civilian.  

• Like (+1) 1

Within the last few days, it has been announced 'TB12' and 'Brady', two of Tom Brady's companies will merge with Nobull athletic footwear.  Must be deflating for the other shoe companies. 🤔🤨😇

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/30/tom-brady-nutrition-apparel-brands-merging-with-nobull.html

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Within the last few days, it has been announced 'TB12' and 'Brady', two of Tom Brady's companies will merge with Nobull athletic footwear.  Must be deflating for the other shoe companies. 🤔🤨😇

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/30/tom-brady-nutrition-apparel-brands-merging-with-nobull.html

Speaking of NoBull, good brand and I see lots of people wearing NoBull in the gym, but I am not a fan. I prefer lift-specific shoes (flat for deadlift and heeled for squats). Nike and Reebok and Sabo are really good brands for those.

19 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I forgot that James Brown, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson have been doing this since 1994.

Take a look at this time capsule.

i actually watched a lot of this, glad I did, it underscores how old and tired the current Fox announcers are.   Especially Terry Bradshaw, borderline geriatric now.  To me they all suck now so adding Brady cant make it much worse.

it's just weird to me because it doesn't seem like Brady has any particular interest in doing TV stuff. I know he has his radio podcast once a week, but Jim Gray pretty much produces it and makes it easy for him by providing all the structure. 

Plus it's radio. Once a week. He barely needs to even prepare for it, let alone travel or be on camera. 

Peyton Manning was giving Gordon Ramsay a run for his money for a while there, being on every other show on TV. Brady has done none of that. Peyton even had some horrible show on History channel where they counted down the GOATS of different categories.. LOL 

We tried watching it out of sheer curiosity but wow... 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I think it sucks for Olsen, and hopefully they can figure something out so he's still calling games. However, Brady may be better than alot expect. He's been a household name for over 20 years. He's done acting in movies and done however many documentarys. He may be alot better than people think. Doesnt mean I like him though 😉

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I think it sucks for Olsen, and hopefully they can figure something out so he's still calling games. However, Brady may be better than alot expect. He's been a household name for over 20 years. He's done acting in movies and done however many documentarys. He may be alot better than people think. Doesnt mean I like him though 😉

If it doesn't work out with FOX, Olsen can easily get a job calling games with CBS, NBC (Collingsworth is getting up there), ESPN. He is a really good announcer. IMHO

• Agree 1

This is a shame.  Olsen is really good, and actually up on the sport of football in 2024.

I have NO idea why the network would pursue Brady so hard.

First off, he has an annoying voice that is difficult to listen to.

Secondly, he does not have a friendly, easy to like personality.

I see him as totally wrong for the job.  I wonder why he even wants to do it.

He has enough money and who would want to do all that traveling, only to be sitting in a football stadium?

I'd be hanging out on my yacht in the Monaco harbor, with 4 or 5 beach bunnies sunning themselves on the upper deck.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

ab3ad505635b.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.