For those who didn't know: Tom Brady is set to replace Greg Olsen as the FOX lead analyst next year

chongli

Greg Olsen of FOX's A-team called his last game yesterday as FOX's lead analyst. He will be demoted next year to the B-team to be paired by Joe Davis most likely. He will take a 70% pay cut from $10 million to just $3 million (I know: first-world problems). Tom Brady has been groomed to take his place. Under his 10-year contract, he will make $375 million ($37.5 million a year), which is more than his lifetime NFL salary of $333 million. He will join the A-team of Kevin Burkhardt, Erin Andrews, and Tom Rinaldi.

https://frontofficesports.com/five-burning-questions-foxs-tom-brady-greg-olsen-dilemma/

The lead analysts opening for a network is rare, once in a generation. From the article: "Troy Aikman of ESPN and Cris Collinsworth of NBC Sports, for example, have served as No. 1 color commentators for 22 straight seasons. Super Bowl LVIII analyst Tony Romo is wrapping his seventh season at CBS Sports. His predecessor, Phil Simms, held the job for 19 years.".

The sad part is Olsen, by all accounts, has been outstanding at his job:

"Olsen has been a revelation in his three seasons on the air. He’s become a fan favorite on social media—with some calling for Fox to keep him in the top job, Brady or no Brady. 

In his first season as lead analyst, Olsen called the NFL’s most-watched Super Bowl and regular-season game of all time, winning the Emmy Award for “Outstanding Personality—Emerging On-Air Talent.”"

The article said Olsen was taking it all in stride and respects the GOAT.

Tom Brady has also been working hard preparing for his new role, asking Troy Aikman, Joe Buck, and New England play-by-play announcer Sott Zolak for help.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-120-guest-co-host-joe-buck-on-al-michaels-tom/id1587364692?i=1000640409178

https://awfulannouncing.com/fox/tom-brady-turns-former-patriots-quarterback-for-broadcasting-advice.html

Brady was also potted at a dinner with Erin Andrews in November, preparing for his new gig:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/11/14/tom-brady-dinner-erin-andrews-beverly-hills-restaurant-fox/

3c77da1b92154917a6192d34800426af_md.jpg

• Vomit 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1

I feel a bit for Greg. I think he has got better each year he has been on the job. He was certainly an upgrade on Troy Aikman. But there was just always something about him that didn't seem to carry the gavitas of a big network #1 color guy. 

I have no idea how Brady will be. Greg should go to Prime and do the Thursday Night gig. Because my word Kirb is unlistenable. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

I also thought Olson has been good this year. I actually don't hate the idea of hearing Brady in the booth. He obviously has incredible knowledge and it'll be interesting to hear his perspective. I just hope a drunk Bills fan manages to throw a d*ldo at the booth when he's calling one of our games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel a bit for Greg. I think he has got better each year he has been on the job. He was certainly an upgrade on Troy Aikman. But there was just always something about him that didn't seem to carry the gavitas of a big network #1 color guy. 

Yeah, Greg always seemed like a nice, but goofball kid who didn't quite fit in the network's lead role.

29 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I also thought Olson has been good this year. I actually don't hate the idea of hearing Brady in the booth. He obviously has incredible knowledge and it'll be interesting to hear his perspective. I just hope a drunk Bills fan manages to throw a d*ldo at the booth when he's calling one of our games

You know Buffalo fans are going to jump all over him the minute he says something bad about the team.

Maybe...as per Brady he was thiiiiiis close to playing last season and had already started making plans to do so. Are we sure he wouldn't try to play another season as it looks like Mahomes may break many of his records?

• Like (+1) 1

I guess that will keep me from watching fox football coverage in the future, not that I watched it in the past…, 😁👍

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tom Brady is TERRIBLE on his radio show with Jim Grey and L Fitzgerald.  Unless he states something controversial he is boring.

Just because you were a great QB doesn't mean you will be a great football analyst, eg Jim Kelly.

This is a major setback.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tom Brady is TERRIBLE on his radio show with Jim Grey and L Fitzgerald.  Unless he states something controversial he is boring.

Just because you were a great QB doesn't mean you will be a great football analyst, eg Jim Kelly.

This is a major setback.

When I had SiriusXM, every time he came on, I turned the channel. I just couldn't stand him. Very smarmy.

Edited by chongli
  • Agree 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

No way Burkhardt is better than Nantz.

I don't think he is better, he is different and I like his different. To me the CBS team wants to turn everything into some magical feel good story. I just don't like that style any more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, babulator said:

I remember he signed that mega deal and they were just waiting for him to say he's ready. Olsen is top notch though.

Olsen reminds me so much of Steve Stiffler every time I hear him. Then his play by play reminds me of Andrew Siciliano it's weird when I see them on camera as am like those aren't the guys I'm listening too. While I didn't like Brady as a player I can only imagine his work ethic is top notch to be an analyst. I'm guessing he'll be similar to early Tony Romo yet not sure if he will be as excited for certain plays/players etc. 

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

So this is a super conceiled lets sign greg olson thread? 

He chose Seattle over us. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.