Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah we watched the Offense grind to a halt with Dorsey, it was getting ridiculously aggravating we got to the point where we were begging them to just go 2-minute no huddle just let Josh do it because that was the only thing that ever worked.

Brady took over and things started to move again.

I think the reason Dorseys offense looked ok overall was because Josh would go berserker mode and try to save the game, hitting long runs and big plays which would ultimately elevate the stats. I dont know how to track this but I would love to see DVOA and EPA/play for plays made "in structure" between Dorsey and Brady. Under Dorsey it felt like nothing happened in structure. The entire offense was drop back, scan, scramble, hit something out of structure. It felt impossibly difficult. Under Brady it felt like Josh hit a lot more in structure. So while the final result of a drive may be the same, it just was exhausting to watch under Dorsey.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another thing to look at is 2nd half stats. In nearly every game with Brady as OC the O struggled in the 2nd half. Like we saw in the KC playoff game, teams adjust and the Bills many times do not have an answer.

I was glad Dorsey was let go. I do not think the stats justify Brady was the clear choice. I can buy Brady for more subjective reasons and things that did not show up in the stats column. But the numbers in no way support a Brady is clearly the guy decision. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm saying it's suspect that everyone jumps on board the OC decision when there's an underwhelming track record hiring coordinators.  

This is a macro level discussion which has devolved into isolated issues.  Brady will implement the offensive game-plan which aligns with the HC's guidance.  Right or not, it comes back to McD. 

My concern is, particularly since the 2020 off-season, that Buffalo will maintain status quo, and the offense will be built as if the Bills had a game-manager or slightly better QB.  Brady's hiring seems to point in that direction, though it's a long off-season.  We'll see. 

All I'm doing is stating the obvious, that it's McD's decision who the coaches are.  I've expressed that I'm not overly impressed with McD.  So he'll sink or swim with these decisions because it's up to him to evolve. 

IMO, the strength of the organization is Beane and Allen.  I believe they are the reason McDermott looks better than he is and he benefits from Pegula being loyal.  McD needs to get his crap together and I think he's made improvement but its not been enough for me.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:37 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

As they should. 

People want a young, highly respected offensive mind with a big time resume and got one.

Whiners gunna whine, feed them to the pit. 

I cannot wait to see what Brady does with an offense that HE installs and runs concepts he develops. 

What is bradys big time resume you speak about? Is it working with Joe burrow chase and Jefferson at LSU....I could call plays for that trio and succeed 

39 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He deserves the shot, and he's been a much better play caller than Dorsey. Implementing his playbook could make the offense even more dangerous.  

That's the thing....we keep giving all these Unprovens a shot and it's at the expense of wasting the best years of Allen's prime .....eventually there will be no more shots for josh allen....why not get him the absolute top weapons and coaches and see how high this kids ceiling really is?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

What is bradys big time resume you speak about? Is it working with Joe burrow chase and Jefferson at LSU....I could call plays for that trio and succeed 

That's the thing....we keep giving all these Unprovens a shot and it's at the expense of wasting the best years of Allen's prime .....eventually there will be no more shots for josh allen....why not get him the absolute top weapons and coaches and see how high this kids ceiling really is?

I'm gonna argue the opposite for a second. The proven great offensive minds are already head coaches (or on their way to being a HC).  What is the floor with Allen at the helm of the offense? I'd argue we just saw it.  11-6. 

What I want is to get in at the ground floor for the next great mind. That could be Brady. It didn't work out in Carolina but I don't think it was destined to given how bad Matt Rhule was. I'm not going to ding him for working with talent, that's absurd. 

This is what you have to live with with a defensive HC, bottom line. Now if you want to say we shouldn't do that... Well I'm all ears. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Josh Allen

Dorsey: 9 Games

350 attempts - 2660 yards - 19 TDs - 11 INT - 7 rushing TD

Brady: 9 Games

298 attempts - 2095 yards - 14 TDs - 7 INT - 8 rushing TD

James Cook

Dorsey: 9 games 

120 carries - 615 yards - 5.1 YPC

Brady: 9 Games

153 carries - 647 yards - 4.2 YPC 

Not much you can take away, also doesn’t account for weather, team, and the challenges of it not being an offense designed by Brady. 

I mean, I think you can get a little bit out of it, though just those two stats seems misleading

I think there's something I want to do a bigger data dive on: total rushing yards per game and breaking out WR receiving yards vs combined RB/TE. Also time of possession.

It seemed like under Dorsey the ball was pushed to receivers (which is where most of the big mistake INTs happened) while Brady focused on RBs and TEs. 

This would explain why people are raving about Brady and have kicked Dorsey to the curb. It's not that Brady isn't getting yards so much as he's been getting them in dribs and drabs, having Allen take the easy throws to Cook or Kincaid while Dorsey seemed to push it. Those underneath throws are higher percent and go for fewer yards but it certainly felt like we were on the field longer as opposed to boom and bust three and outs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Another thing to look at is 2nd half stats. In nearly every game with Brady as OC the O struggled in the 2nd half. Like we saw in the KC playoff game, teams adjust and the Bills many times do not have an answer.

I was glad Dorsey was let go. I do not think the stats justify Brady was the clear choice. I can buy Brady for more subjective reasons and things that did not show up in the stats column. But the numbers in no way support a Brady is clearly the guy decision. 

The KC loss is far enough in the past that I’m done posting irrational hot takes. I’m not going to doubt this hire too much, but the second half issue is a valid concern. Josh Allen is a great blessing, but a QB like Allen is always going make it difficult to assess the OC. We all need to be realistic, Allen could make a bad OC look really good. It’s not Brady’s fault he doesn’t have a ton of experience, but it’s just tough for me to assess any young OC when they have an elite QB. 

14 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Then why didn’t you? Why didn’t you design, implement, develop and coordinate the passing attack that was revolutionary? 

Joe Brady played a massive role in that LSU did, don’t believe me go ask Joe Burrow. To claim otherwise is pure ignorance. 

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, I think you can get a little bit out of it, though just those two stats seems misleading

I think there's something I want to do a bigger data dive on: total rushing yards per game and breaking out WR receiving yards vs combined RB/TE. Also time of possession.

It seemed like under Dorsey the ball was pushed to receivers (which is where most of the big mistake INTs happened) while Brady focused on RBs and TEs. 

This would explain why people are raving about Brady and have kicked Dorsey to the curb. It's not that Brady isn't getting yards so much as he's been getting them in dribs and drabs, having Allen take the easy throws to Cook or Kincaid while Dorsey seemed to push it. Those underneath throws are higher percent and go for fewer yards but it certainly felt like we were on the field longer as opposed to boom and bust three and outs.

For sure, I was surprised by the numbers as I found them, but it’s important to remember this isn’t even a piece if the cake, maybe just some light decoration. 

Key one for me in the INTs over 9 games, that’s a huge improvement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m not saying Joe Brady is a shoe-in next big thing OC who will absolutely revolutionize our offense in ways we’ve never seen. It’s unfair to have those expectations. 

He was highly regarded coming out of LSU, did the best he could with what he had for a year in a half in Carolina was fired in highly controversial fashion. 

He could easily the best OC hire we’ve made in decades. 

21 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Ehhh not really, but saw a decrease in effectiveness from our #1 weapon. 

I was also in the camp that I thought they can run the ball better, not necessarily more. They did run it more, and unfortunately got a bit too run heavy specifically on predictable downs in the last few games.

I think Brady will be as good as Allen carries these guys, unless they put a ton of YAC talent around him or find a way to bring back to deep and intermediate passing game 

The deep threat is missing , and has been since John Brown.

I think we might have the Beasely slot type already on the team :)

Diggs aint gettin any younger though 

thanks

19 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s an unknown.  Not sure I wanna get on that hamster wheel of coaches again.  

I feel that. Think Brady has plenty more up his sleeve yet.

Hopeful , at least

He earned the job IMHO.  Doesn't mean he has nothing to prove, because he still has a lot to prove.  But he took someone else's offense and did enough with that to help this team go from 11th place and out of the playoffs to division winner and #2 seed.  

Unfortunately for Joe, he got the job in a season where the coaching staff as a whole is on a hot seat.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:50 PM, FireChans said:

The 2023 Bills. 

That's not great, seeing as the analytics on Dorsey for his part of 2023 were better than Brady's portion of 2023.

Don't take my word for it, look it up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's not great, seeing as the analytics on Dorsey for his part of 2023 were better than Brady's portion of 2023.

Don't take my word for it, look it up.

That would be really cool if the best EPA/play team got a Super Bowl, unfortunately it’s wins that matter and we were 7-2 with Brady at the helm, and 5-5 with Kenny.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.