2024 WR Draft Class

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I decided to apply the metrics system that I created this year to the 2023 draft class, mainly just to expand the sample size a bit to see if the results looked out of whack or not. The top ranked guys based on the metrics that I'm looking at:

1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (had to flip the formula to prioritize 2021 instead of 2022 for him since he played so little in 2022)
  2. Puka Nacua
  3. Josh Downs
  4. Tank Dell
  5. Demario Douglas
  6. Quentin Johnston
  7. Xavier Gipson
  8. Jordan Addison
  9. Rashee Rice
  10. Jalin Hyatt

Notable guys outside the top 10:

• Zay Flowers was #24 out of 43
  • Jayden Reed was #30
  • Michael Wilson was #28
  • Jonathan Mingo was #32
  • Dontayvion Wicks was #35
  • Justin Shorter was #41

Your system has major holes. As do all WR scouting metrics/systems. Your 2024 rankings have both Texas WRs REALLY low. I get that you're not exactly predicting picks, but evaluating the prospects...yet having Mitchell and Worthy both outside the top-10 WR prospects seems wild to me. I'm not a huge Worthy guy, but I do think Mitchell is potentially a sleeping giant as a future #1 WR in the NFL. And Worthy is probably better than I'm willing to admit, and definitely better in terms of draft value.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Do you have a link to a report that we met with Kincaid or Elam at the Combine? I've checked a bunch of lists of prospects we interviewed, brought in for visits, etc. and searched on Twitter around this time in those years too and didn't find any reports.

There have been videos in both cases as part of the Embedded series. The "notebook" conversation with Elam was at the Combine and the interview with Kincaid on last year's you can clearly see they are in a suite at Lucas Oil with the stadium visible out the window at the back of the room.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There have been videos in both cases as part of the Embedded series. The "notebook" conversation with Elam was at the Combine and the interview with Kincaid on last year's you can clearly see they are in a suite at Lucas Oil with the stadium visible out the window at the back of the room.

I get that, but point is there were no reports as far as I can tell that we met with them, much like there are no reports that we met with McConkey. That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen. I haven't found a public report about us meeting with any of our first rounders in the McBeane era as a matter of fact. Even the reports about Josh Allen stated that we only met with him at the Senior Bowl before bringing him in for a private workout.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is 100% not true I can tell you that for a fact. Most teams work on a board of around 150-160 max. The Patriots famously under Belichick had less than 100 guys on its draft board most years. 

The reasons a player will generally be off a board:

1. Medicals

2. Conduct

3. Personality (distinct from conduct as in there are no specific incidents but the vibe they get from work area scouts do is the individual just isn't a fit)

4. Scheme

5. Failure to meet physical specifications for the position (every team has them, some are more slavish about them than others)

6. They don't give them a draftable grade

My suspicion since Beane arrived here has always been he operates towards the smaller end board wise. I'd say somewhere in the 120 range. I have second hand confirmation from someone who was in the building that it isn't far off (though the number fluctuates a bit year to year and class to class). 

Remember last year when after taking Shorter in round 5 Beane started trading back multiple times? I strongly suspect his board was empty. Broeker and Austin were very likely prioritiy UDFAs for them rather than draft board guys. They'd just ran out of the latter.

100% understand this contingency, that a specific org might run out of "draftable" grades before the draft ends. Probably happens a lot. 

Love the suspicion that this happened last year so Beane immediately shifted to trading for late picks next year (which is now THIS year), possibly knowing that COVID eligibility extensions would mean the 2024 6th and 7th round board would contain better talent/draftable grades. More players were allowed to go back to school, so they did. And now they're declared for the draft. Was a predictable development. (Nice to have 10 picks...but wish they were a little better.)

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Your system has major holes. As do all WR scouting metrics/systems. Your 2024 rankings have both Texas WRs REALLY low. I get that you're not exactly predicting picks, but evaluating the prospects...yet having Mitchell and Worthy both outside the top-10 WR prospects seems wild to me. I'm not a huge Worthy guy, but I do think Mitchell is potentially a sleeping giant as a future #1 WR in the NFL. And Worthy is probably better than I'm willing to admit, and definitely better in terms of draft value.

I'm sure a few WRs will slip through the cracks; I'm really just doing the metrics thing for fun. As I mentioned, Zay Flowers for example was relatively low when I applied the same system to the 2023 class. Having said that, Mitchell came out with a score of -4.98, 115th out of 129. WRs that ranked 100th or worse from the prior two classes:

• Kayshon Boutte
  • Tyler Scott
  • Isaiah Weston
  • Grant Dubose
  • Bryce Ford-Wheaton
  • Charlie Jones
  • Dontayvion Wicks
  • Tyquan Thornton
  • Johnny Johnson III
  • Makai Polk
  • Tanner Conner
  • Antoine Green
  • Justin Shorter
  • Jake Bobo
  • Jalen Wayne
  • Ty Fryfogle
  • Slade Bolden
  • Braylon Sanders

Jayden Reed is the lowest rated in my database that has shown he might be good; he was 86th. Perhaps Mitchell will be the outlier from that group.

Worthy isn't too bad on the metrics; roughly in the top third of the group over the last three years.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I get that, but point is there were no reports as far as I can tell that we met with them, much like there are no reports that we met with McConkey. That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen. I haven't found a public report about us meeting with any of our first rounders in the McBeane era as a matter of fact. Even the reports about Josh Allen stated that we only met with him at the Senior Bowl before bringing him in for a private workout.

I thought McConkey had said he didn't meet with the Bills? I thought that was where that came from? 

Agree though I don't think we knew that they met Kincaid last year. In 2022 the meeting with Elam only became public knowledge in the last 48 hours before the draft. I remember commenting on it because I had all but dismissed him as a possibility not seeing the scheme fit and with no meetings and then it emerged right at the last minute he had met with them at the Combine. 2021 there was no Combine and all meetings were virtual. 2020 they didn't have a 1st round pick. 2019 - Ed Oliver they definitely met at the Combine. 2018 I don't think they met either Josh or Tremaine at the Combine. But they had Tremaine in on a 30 visit and the met with Josh at the Senior Bowl and on private visits. That year I would submit was slightly different because they were in the QB market and that dictated a lot. I think they have said since their plan was by the end of the Combine have met all of the top guys at least once and they had covered Josh off at the Senior Bowl. That said I think Tre in 2017 was a Senior Bowl meeting rather than Combine as well from memory. 

I am not wedded to the idea it must be a Combine meeting for their first round pick. But it will be someone they have met with. If they met with Ladd at the Senior Bowl he is still in play. If they didn't but they bring him in for a visit likewise. But they will only draft someone they have met in the 1st. I don't think they have ever taken someone round 2 without an in person meeting either. It is just who they are. Hell, they have often met their day 3 picks.

I am actually more interested in who are the non-WRs they have met so far? Because that might give us a clearer sence of where their head is at beyond the obvious.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought McConkey had said he didn't meet with the Bills? I thought that was where that came from? 

Agree though I don't think we knew that they met Kincaid last year. In 2022 the meeting with Elam only became public knowledge in the last 48 hours before the draft. I remember commenting on it because I had all but dismissed him as a possibility not seeing the scheme fit and with no meetings and then it emerged right at the last minute he had met with them at the Combine. 2021 there was no Combine and all meetings were virtual. 2020 they didn't have a 1st round pick. 2019 - Ed Oliver they definitely met at the Combine. 2018 I don't think they met either Josh or Tremaine at the Combine. But they had Tremaine in on a 30 visit and the met with Josh at the Senior Bowl and on private visits. That year I would submit was slightly different because they were in the QB market and that dictated a lot. I think they have said since their plan was by the end of the Combine have met all of the top guys at least once and they had covered Josh off at the Senior Bowl. That said I think Tre in 2017 was a Senior Bowl meeting rather than Combine as well from memory. 

I am not wedded to the idea it must be a Combine meeting for their first round pick. But it will be someone they have met with. If they met with Ladd at the Senior Bowl he is still in play. If they didn't but they bring him in for a visit likewise. But they will only draft someone they have met in the 1st. I don't think they have ever taken someone round 2 without an in person meeting either. It is just who they are. Hell, they have often met their day 3 picks.

I am actually more interested in who are the non-WRs they have met so far? Because that might give us a clearer sence of where their head is at beyond the obvious.

Correct, he confirmed we didn't meet with him at the Combine.

Though we did talk to him at the Senior Bowl. Though as is documented, there's really not much that can be done with a meeting at the Senior Bowl except informalities:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/senior-bowl-interview-process-changes-nfl-draft-teams-players

As for who we've met with, it's mostly WR's and DB's:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/03/nfl-combine-2024-buffalo-bills-prospect-meeting-tracker.html

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Correct, he confirmed we didn't meet with him at the Combine.

Though we did talk to him at the Senior Bowl. Though as is documented, there's really not much that can be done with a meeting at the Senior Bowl except informalities:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/senior-bowl-interview-process-changes-nfl-draft-teams-players

As for who we've met with, it's mostly WR's and DB's:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/03/nfl-combine-2024-buffalo-bills-prospect-meeting-tracker.html

I dunno. If Ladd was one of the Bills specific requests a 25 minute interview is a pretty significant chunk of time. 

In terms of non-WR meetings with guys who are at least in the mix for day 1 I make it:

Byron Murphy, DT

Kamari Lassiter, CB 

Cooper DeJean, CB/S

Graham Barton, IOL

Sure there were others meetings we haven't heard about yet, as metioned above the Elam news came late in the day and not sure Kincaid was ever public pre-draft. But at the same time it is interesting to look at who might be in their thoughts.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I dunno. If Ladd was one of the Bills specific requests a 25 minute interview is a pretty significant chunk of time. 

In terms of non-WR meetings with guys who are at least in the mix for day 1 I make it:

Byron Murphy, DT

Kamari Lassiter, CB 

Cooper DeJean, CB/S

Graham Barton, IOL

Sure there were others meetings we haven't heard about yet, as metioned above the Elam news came late in the day and not sure Kincaid was ever public pre-draft. But at the same time it is interesting to look at who might be in their thoughts.

My apologies, I misread part of that tweet and missed others. But that being said:

- It says literally every player at the Senior Bowl gets a meeting with every team. So his meeting with us was a given. No way of knowing whether that was a required 10 minute meeting or one of the 64 requested extended 25 minute meetings.

- I don't believe we send all of our coaches, scouts, and staff to the Senior Bowl - unlike the Combine, as McConkey himself alluded to in his presser. The Senior Bowl interviews are not the same as Combine interviews.

- In the past, whether we've met with a player we've Drafted in Round 1 at the Senior Bowl or not - we've still met with them again at the Combine for the interview. Tre'Davious White, Josh Allen, and Dalton Kincaid are the 3 Senior Bowl players Drafted in Round 1 and we interviewed them all at the Combine. And to that end....

- The following is list of players we met with at the Senior Bowl. And unlike McConkey - we met with them again at the Combine:

Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
Devontez Walker - WR North Carolina
Roman Wilson - WR Michigan
Kameron Kinchens - S Miami
Payton Wilson - LB NC State
Byron Murphy II - DT Texas
Javon Solomon - DE Troy
Jalyx Hunt - DE Houston Christian
Patrick Paul - OT Houston

Long story short, between the Senior Bowl process requiring us to meet with everyone there, our history of meeting with Round 1 Drafted players at both the Senior Bowl and the Combine, and the large list of players we met with at the Combine that we already met at the Senior Bowl - I don't share the opinion that it means nothing that we didn't meet with McConkey at the Combine.

But I suppose we'll see. If he gets a Pre-Draft visit, maybe he bucks the trend. But right now, I just don't see it. This is a methodical regime and the Combine interview seems to be maybe the most important part of the process to them in Round 1 picks.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My apologies, I misread part of that tweet and missed others. But that being said:

- It says literally every player at the Senior Bowl gets a meeting with every team. So his meeting with us was a given. No way of knowing whether that was a required 10 minute meeting or one of the 64 requested extended 25 minute meetings.

- I don't believe we send all of our coaches, scouts, and staff to the Senior Bowl - unlike the Combine, as McConkey himself alluded to in his presser. The Senior Bowl interviews are not the same as Combine interviews.

- In the past, whether we've met with a player we've Drafted in Round 1 at the Senior Bowl or not - we've still met with them again at the Combine for the interview. Tre'Davious White, Josh Allen, and Dalton Kincaid are the 3 Senior Bowl players Drafted in Round 1 and we interviewed them all at the Combine. And to that end....

- The following is list of players we met with at the Senior Bowl. And unlike McConkey - we met with them again at the Combine:

Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
Devontez Walker - WR North Carolina
Roman Wilson - WR Michigan
Kameron Kinchens - S Miami
Payton Wilson - LB NC State
Byron Murphy II - DT Texas
Javon Solomon - DE Troy
Jalyx Hunt - DE Houston Christian
Patrick Paul - OT Houston

Long story short, between the Senior Bowl process requiring us to meet with everyone there, our history of meeting with meeting with Round 1 Drafted players at both the Senior Bowl and the Combine, and the large list of players we met with at the Combine that we already met at the Senior Bowl - I don't share the opinion that it means nothing that we didn't meet with McConkey at the Combine.

Are you sure they met Josh at the Combine? I don't think they did. I thought it was Senior Bowl then on a visit to see him at Wyoming, then they brought him in to Buffalo. Tre they might have done, I thought that was just Senior Bowl but I could be wrong on that it is purely from memory. 

It is a fair point though about who goes to the Senior Bowl. I don't think McDermott usually goes. He did in 2018 when they were in the QB game but as a rule I don't think the coaches attend. Beane normally does, but how much of a group they send down there is a fair point. They do have a track record of drafting a LOT of Senior Bowl guys though so whoever does go definitely holds some sway! 

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'll direct you to my reply to another poster 3 posts above yours. We never skip the Combine interview and Draft a guy in Round 1 simply on the pre-Draft meeting. The pre-Draft meeting is more of a formality and final piece of the puzzle after a good interview.

I am not arguing with you.  I was simply saying that they could, if desired, still have a significant interview with any of the prospects before the draft.

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

McDermott, Pegula and Beane flew to Wyoming to meet with Josh.   

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Pearsall is going top 40.  I like him a lot better than other WRs that are supposedly first round right now.  If Bills take him at 28, I would be very happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Pearsall is going top 40.  I like him a lot better than other WRs that are supposedly first round right now.  If Bills take him at 28, I would be very happy.

In terms of finding true football players, McConkey Pearsall and Roman Wilson look to me like they fit the mold. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's sad that it's not a possibility. Flip side, i'd rather have a team in contention rather than picking at the top of the Draft all the time again.

Ok so Trade Diggs and our 1st to move up and get him.  😁

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm confused.  Has it been confirmed that the Bills did NOT meet with McConkey?  Can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who said that every NFL team has 75 interviews at the Combine, but only about 1/3rd of them are released publicly.

So again, has it been confirmed we have NOT met with McConkey???

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm confused.  Has it been confirmed that the Bills did NOT meet with McConkey?  Can't remember which podcast I was listening to, but I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who said that every NFL team has 75 interviews at the Combine, but only about 1/3rd of them are released publicly.

So again, has it been confirmed we have NOT met with McConkey???

Ladd said no but they spoke at the senior bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did anyone hear AD Mitchell at his presser mention he doesn't run routes at full speed?  

Well both Mitchell and Worthy both have a lot of that on tape. He did it against Washington in the playoff and Ewers got picked 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Give me your top 2 contested catch WRs not named Marvin Harrison Jr, Nabers, or Odunze?

not sure metrics wise who it is?

2 of Mitchell, Legette, Thomas Jr,  Coleman, Pearsall is my guess 

based on height / vertical / what I've seen 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

59 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Did anyone hear AD Mitchell at his presser mention he doesn't run routes at full speed?  

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  I thought I heard that and it gave me a bad impression.  I think he thought it was a flex, but he needs to be able to manipulate a route by running full speed.  

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If they can’t get Thomas or Mitchell then Coleman might be that true X they’re looking for.

16 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  I thought I heard that and it gave me a bad impression.  I think he thought it was a flex, but he needs to be able to manipulate a route by running full speed.  

I thought he looked a bit clumsy on a few in the drills.  Maybe his cleats were meant for grass? not sure.  Trying to give guys some grace 

With seeing what a physical MONSTER Legette is

his Special Teams background

his reported work ethic

his 40 inch vertical and 4.39  40 time

+bonus he was seen talking and smiling with Bills WR Coach after the drills ended

I feel like he could be our top target 

Potential downside is he's already 23.  Some other WR prospects are 20-21   + his production is not as good. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

25 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Changing route speeds is a massive part of a world class route runner

You certainly just do not run full speed every single route... You need to have variance and nuance

Mixing up tempo and variance... Allows you to set up cornerbacks for further routes... And gain leverage advantages

Everybody in the NFL is fast just running at 100% speed doesn't work.. guys like Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown and Cole Beasley and Andre Reed were Masters at changing routes speeds.. it's the variance that gets you an edge in the pros

Everybody is extremely fast you need to have nuance to route running

I didn't listen to the interview so I don't know exactly what context that was used in but the ability to change routes speeds at the NFL level is actually a big plus

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Changing route speeds is a massive part of a world class route runner

You certainly just do not run full speed every single route

Mixing up tempo and variance... Allows you to set up cornerbacks for further routes... And gain leverage advantages

Everybody in the NFL is fast just running at 100% speed doesn't work.. guys like Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown and Cole Beasley and Andre Reed were Masters at changing routes speeds.. it's the variance that gets you an edge in the pros

Everybody is extremely fast you need to have nuance to route running

Sorry bud, but the best WR in the NFL runs balls to the walls every damn route and changes direction at full speed and literally cant be stopped.

WRs don't run full speed on routes because they cant change direction at an abrupt rate when they are running full speed.

Bums like Gabe Davis runs half their routes at half speed.

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry bud, but the best WR in the NFL runs balls to the walls every damn route and changes direction at full speed and literally cant be stopped.

WRs don't run full speed on routes because they cant change direction at an abrupt rate when they are running full speed.

Bums like Gabe Davis runs half their routes at half speed.

I've been Coaching and scouting for a long time I respectfully disagree

NFL wide receivers do not run balls to the wall every single play..  and they certainly know how to vary their Pace on routes

Changing route speeds is a huge part of being an NFL wide receiver... It always has

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Coaching and scouting for a long time I respectfully disagree

NFL wide receivers do not run balls to the wall every single play

Changing route speeds is a huge part of being an NFL wide receiver

Thats cool.  Not sure I really care about you coaching some HS kids.

A WR in NFL has less than 3 secs to get open.  They better be moving as fast as possible.  The best NFL WRs are going full throttle.

32 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's tough to say statistically because the sample sizes are always small when you're talking about contested targets. For example, over the last two years, Marvin Harrison Jr. had the most contested targets in the draft class with 60 combined between the two seasons. For plays that are already sort of coin flips by nature, you'd really like to see a larger sample to draw conclusions from. Having said that, the guys at 50% or higher in terms of catch % on contested targets are (highest to lowest):

• Cornelius Johnson
  • Tahj Washington
  • Casey Washington
  • Luke McCaffrey
  • Rome Odunze
  • Bryson Nesbit
  • De'Corian Clark
  • Hayden Hatten
  • Jermaine Burton
  • Javon Baker
  • Ja'Lynn Polk
  • Malik Nabers
  • Brian Thomas Jr.
  • Marvin Harrison Jr.
  • Malik Washington
  • Zakhari Franklin
  • Moose Muhammad III
  • Roman Wilson

If we limit it to guys that had at least 20 contested targets over the two years, you're left with:

• Luke McCaffrey
  • Rome Odunze
  • Hayden Hatten
  • Javon Baker
  • Ja'Lynn Polk
  • Malik Nabers
  • Marvin Harrison Jr.
  • Malik Washington
  • Zakhari Franklin

Some of the WRs that people have talked about in general for this class that don't make the list:

• Troy Franklin - 46.7%
  • Tez Walker - 45.2%
  • Xavier Legette - 44.0%
  • Keon Coleman - 43.5%
  • Brenden Rice - 42.9%
  • Jacob Cowing - 41.7%
  • Ricky Pearsall - 40.9%
  • Adonai Mitchell - 40.0%
  • Xavier Worthy - 29.4%
  • Jamari Thrash - 29.0%
  • Malachi Corley - 28.6%

In terms of going up and high pointing the ball in traffic, Odunze, Baker, and Polk definitely pass the eye test in addition to the numbers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Thats cool.  Not sure I really care about you coaching some HS kids.

A WR in NFL has less than 3 secs to get open.  They better be moving as fast as possible.  The best NFL WRs are going full throttle.

https://www.cover1.net/cole-beasley-option-routes-josh-allens-development-buffalo-bills/

This literally talks about how cole beasley changes up his speed on routes to get an advantage..  

Or talk to a wide receiver coach.. changing up speeds doesn't mean running slow... It can help create leverage

You don't need to be running 23 miles an hour to create separation... You can do it with craftiness and savvy 

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.cover1.net/cole-beasley-option-routes-josh-allens-development-buffalo-bills/

This literally talks about how cole beasley changes up his speed on routes to get an advantage..  

Or talk to a wide receiver coach.. changing up speeds doesn't mean running slow... It can help create leverage

You don't need to be running 23 miles an hour to create separation... You can do it with craftiness and savvy 

You are missing the point.  Look at the speed AD comes out of the break here:

Lazy

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You are missing the point.  Look at the speed AD comes out of the break here:

Lazy

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/roman-wilson/32005749-4c77-7750-194f-0fd7ed86214a

This is a wide receiver the bills are targeting

What's one of his weaknesses?

Tends to One speeds his routes...

Being able to run routes at multiple tempos is a positive not a negative

Being able to run routes at multiple speeds has been a good thing forever  because it keeps defensive backs on their heels

Nobody and I'm certainly not saying you want players to run routes slowly... I'm saying the ability to change pace is a massive positive for a wide receiver

Always has been

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I thought he looked a bit clumsy on a few in the drills.  Maybe his cleats were meant for grass? not sure.  Trying to give guys some grace 

With seeing what a physical MONSTER Legette is

his Special Teams background

his reported work ethic

his 40 inch vertical and 4.39  40 time

+bonus he was seen talking and smiling with Bills WR Coach after the drills ended

I feel like he could be our top target 

Potential downside is he's already 23.  Some other WR prospects are 20-21   + his production is not as good. 

To quote his NFL.com draft bio, last season was his first season with over 30 targets.