Personnel Talk - PBM edition

There are FOUR major issues heading into the offseason that need addressing immediately,  if not sooner:

• Von Miller. They HAVE to find some way to convince him to retire outright, he's done. Damn it beane, that contract is an albatross.
  • Dawson Knox. He's wildly overpaid. Again, Pay cut or potential cut.
  • Tre White. Waste of a roster spot at this point. Sucks, but that's reality in the NFL. His career in buffalo is over.
  • Stefon Diggs. Has lost his quickness, and now he can't catch any more, either. He's done.

These four contracts are like lead shoes, and we're in a swimming pool. Gotta get creative and find a way to clear out this mess. Wish Beane luck. Of course my dream scenario is out there with Chicago, but that'll never happen. Ideally, I'd like to see us trade out of round one, for multiple twos and threes and start restocking.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

There are FOUR major issues heading into the offseason that need addressing immediately,  if not sooner:

• Von Miller. They HAVE to find some way to convince him to retire outright, he's done. Damn it beane, that contract is an albatross.
  • Tre White. Waste of a roster spot at this point. Sucks, but that's reality in the NFL. His career in buffalo is over.
  • Stefon Diggs. Has lost his quickness, and now he can't catch any more, either. He's done.

These four contracts are like lead shoes, and we're in a swimming pool. Gotta get creative and find a way to clear out this mess. Wish Beane luck. Of course my dream scenario is out there with Chicago, but that'll never happen. Ideally, I'd like to see us trade out of round one, for multiple twos and threes and start restocking.

We are stuck with Von and Dawsons for 2024 and then the cap hits in 25 are very manageable.

Trey is a great player but injuries have just derailed him and he’s probably a cap casualty.

Diggs is stuck here for 24 and 25. 
With any luck the Bills can hit on a receiver and relegate him to a number 2 or 3.

The cap situation is rough but it’s not to the point where if they need to make a move they do have some flexibility…they do have 10 picks in the draft to restock whatever roster decisions they make.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I love Tre, but I agree, I think he’s done in Buff.  Would save about 7m in cap space next year for a guy that prob won’t see the field until maybe end of season.  Just too many significant injuries with him.

Miller isn’t going anywhere until 2025.  Hopefully after a healthy offseason he returns to form.

Diggs also isn’t going anywhere until at least 2025.  He had an underwhelming season, but I think part of problem is the WRs around him are not very good.  Shakur and Kincaid are nice pieces but we need a solid #2.  We need to a draft a WR in first round I believe.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde, poyer, white all have to go as well

20 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The good news is our first round pick got more valuable last night.

On a side note, did you really name this thread after yourself?

25 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Additional overpaid players.

Deonte Harty

Tyler Bass

28 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

This is the major problem with this team. Far too much cap space devoted to players that contribute at a level far below their cap number would warrant.

Now that the QB contract has really kicked in, you can't get away without cap efficiency. Bills are the opposite of cap-efficient. This is really difficult to overcome.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I love Tre, but I agree, I think he’s done in Buff.  Would save about 7m in cap space next year for a guy that prob won’t see the field until maybe end of season.  Just too many significant injuries with him.

Miller isn’t going anywhere until 2025.  Hopefully after a healthy offseason he returns to form.

Diggs also isn’t going anywhere until at least 2025.  He had an underwhelming season, but I think part of problem is the WRs around him are not very good.  Shakur and Kincaid are nice pieces but we need a solid #2.  We need to a draft a WR in first round I believe.

We need to add a solid #1. We can’t rely on Diggs to be that. He still may be but relying on him to be that is foolish.

2024 should’ve taught Beane and McD a valuable lesson, but I doubt it did. What we all saw is that other than QB, and possibly OL, it’s an utter waste of money to throw finite cap resources anywhere else on the roster. On the bright side it appears the Bills ‘could’ learn the lesson that guys like Bernard, Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Benford and a few others are the future of this team. Take your lumps and live through the remainder of some really bad contracts and don’t make the same mistake with the next crop when their time is up. 

25 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Von will not be convinced to retire and give money back.  Best bet is he gets healthier and returns to form, I think that is possible.  Second best case is he gets suspended and the Bills have the ability to void guarantees.  

Dawson Knox has a 20.28M dead cap for 24 with a cap hit of 14.3M, he stays for 24 I think, they could spread it over two years to save something for 24 but that seems silly.  A trade could be feasible cap wise but doubt someone will take the contract, but you never know.

Tre Which is easy to move on from IF HE IS HEALTHY.    If he is not fully healthy, they will have to negotiate something else.

Diggs is interesting, it would be painful to move on for 24 but you could free up money for future years.  He needs to perform better than he did the final 10 games or they should consider going another direction.  Like Knox, not sure if you can find a team to take the contract.

From a cap reset scenario, you could save by waiving Poyer and Morse.  Both could have something left but I could understand choosing to get younger and cheaper in the plan to ramp up again in future years.  I think they have to make some cap moves this year but we will see how Beane handles it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I’d suggest clicking on the above link to begin to see where Beane can find 50 million in cap savings.

Diggs, Miller and Knox have terrible deals, but all have dead cap cost larger than their salaries.  Unless restructured there is no savings to be had.  White has a 16 mill salary but only a $10 mill dead cap. He is likely gone.  

Finding a way to restructure Diggs, Knox and Miller’s deals will go along way toward getting under the cap.  

Morse, Poyer, Harty, Gilliam, and Hines all carry much lower dead cap cost vs Salaries.  Harty, Gilliam, and Hine will all be gone.  I doubt Morse is let go, but extended to save cap.  Poyer may also return.  

Moving on from White, Hines, Harty and Gilliam saves about 16 million.  I wish Beane luck finding the rest of the needed cap savings. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Unfortunately, 2024 is a "take your medicine" year. I think the only possibility for a departure is White.

I think Von Miller deserves his ripping, but remember how Tre came back from an ACL and only looked himself at the start of 2023? I am all for eating his guaranteed money this year, and if he gets suspended it does the most of the cap. But I am not making a roster spot by releasing a likely HOF player AND losing cap.

Agree on Knox, but the only way you reducing his cap hit with an extension. Take your medicine.

Same issue with Diggs. Less quickness, bad hands. Buuuuut unless you can get some team to bite on a trade that is worth losing a #1 receiver (which he still is, if no longer elite) AND cap space (multiple 1 and 2s) the more likely answer is drafting a WR as high as possible and then taking pressure off Diggs.

White...maybe. An injury settlement complicates things, and it would reduce the return the Bills would get. I have floated the idea that they might put him at safety since but who knows.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As was pointed out in Sundays BN and in one posters comments, can't cut White until he can pass a physical which is doubtful by March.  So only option would in an injury settlement, but why during off season would a player accept anything else but every $$ he was due?  Injury settlements work during regular season when a player is now fully recovered but was placed on season ending IR, so takes the settlement and joins another team.   So if you have to pay him all the money anyway, may as well keep him around.

Knox had around the 8th highest contract this season for TE's, but most of the players behind him had contracts ending this year. Likely means by next season Knox will become around the 22nd highest paid TE. Think it may depend what the Bills truly want to do next year.  Do they really want to go with 12 personal, if so then worth keeping and money may be worth it.  His role may become more of a blocking TE and he still would be one of the best pass catching blocking TE's in the league.pass catching

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I’d suggest clicking on the above link to begin to see where Beane can find 50 million in cap savings.

Diggs, Miller and Knox have terrible deals, but all have dead cap cost larger than their salaries.  Unless restructured there is no savings to be had.  White has a 16 mill salary but only a $10 mill dead cap. He is likely gone.  

Finding a way to restructure Diggs, Knox and Miller’s deals will go along way toward getting under the cap.  

Morse, Poyer, Harty, Gilliam, and Hines all carry much lower dead cap cost vs Salaries.  Harty, Gilliam, and Hine will all be gone.  I doubt Morse is let go, but extended to save cap.  Poyer may also return.  

Moving on from White, Hines, Harty and Gilliam saves about 16 million.  I wish Beane luck finding the rest of the needed cap savings. 

Greg Thompsett from Cover 1 did a breakdown about how getting back over the cap is easy, getting enough to be a bidder in FA is hard. It is using a cap number higher than current estimates, but the released money is accurate.

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M (his words not mine)

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think either Bates or Anderson starts at center next year.  I do think Morse is gone unfortunately.

I think Poyer returns.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I’m still extremely annoyed with Beane for giving Knox a considerable contract extension and then drafting his replacement a year later. 

Not half as annoyed as I was about miller

that was a DUMB move, straight up stupid.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Greg Thompsett from Cover 1 did a breakdown about how getting back over the cap is easy, getting enough to be a bidder in FA is hard. It is using a cap number higher than current estimates, but the released money is accurate.

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M (his words not mine)

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

Fairburn at the Athletic says if we cut Diggs after June 1st we'd save $20 million in 2024 but get hit for $20 million in dead cap in 2025.  That might be worth it.

I agree with Neal.  Cutting Martin doesn't move the needle for me.  You can accomplish twice as much by dumping Gilliam.  McGovern is young and did a solid job.  Might as well extend him for 2 more years and lower his cap cost that way.  Same goes for Douglas, especially if they move on from White.  I'm not sure about Thompsett's restructuring amounts, but it's good to know it's possible to get under a cap and add some flexibility.

To add more cheaper talent, I'd love to see Beane trade out of the first and get more draft capital.  Buffalo currently has the 28th, 60th, 99th & 128th picks in the first 4 rounds.  I'd like to see Beane trade out of the 1st rd and pick up at extra draft capital.  For example, the Bills could trade our 28th pick to GB for their 1st 2nd rd pick (41), their 3rd (89 or 93), and a 4th rd pick (126).  GB has 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and 2 4ths to play with.   If the Bills made such a deal they'd have 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths, 2 5th, 3 6ths and a 7th.   I would like a higher 2nd than 41 to get the WR we need, my example is just to show what's possible.  

hahah. no amount of cat calling would make any sane man retire with that paycheque sitting there

i do think miller comes back alot better...pre injury level, no, but 7-8-9 sacks potentially...

allen n knox do have some chemistry, kincaid tho needs a bigger piece of the pie next year...

diggs looks disinterested 2 me, not being forcefed passes now with shakir, kincaid n a run game, n it must've played with his psyche...trip with rodgers down 2 south america may b in the cards

no doubt a wide receiver 1st or 2nd round is mandatory..bernard milano should b a top lber duo in the league, jones should b resigned, corner looks good, draft a safety, 1 more offseason 4 rousseau should help(is only 23)...some pieces r there...

get allen some weapons n that offence with the newfound run game could b deadly...

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

As long as Damar Hamlin has a roster spot, I’ll be happy. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Diggs: no reason to project him as anything other than a very good (maybe not elite) receiver next year. Big contract, probably in the years in which salary exceeds production, but hardly a big problem (if he behaves himself)

Von: a reasonable projection is that he will have some value, although way, way below his salary. My personal guess (I won't keep you waiting for the TFR Edition): he will be good, a semblance of his former greatness, but still a good player. Off he goes after 2024.

Poyer/Hyde: I think Hyde is done. I think Poyer still has value although, actually probably roughly in line or even exceeding his salary ($5.5 million). I see no compelling reason to let him go. $2 million dead cap hit.

Morse: had a healthy season. I kind of doubt that will happen again. $8.5 million salary, $3 million dead cap. Retirement would trigger the dead cap hit if I'm not mistaken. But who plays Center?

Tre: I see no way he's back

I’m with you 100%. 

The salaries for Von and Tre are hurting us more than benefiting. They’re 2 massive deals. 

Diggs is no way done. He just seems to be a fire that’s burning from a smaller ember the more we end up missing out on the big dance. 

Knox is tricky. I like the guy and this he can be a serviceable TE just not at that salary. Maybe trade him with a team who’s in the market?

Just now, BBFL said:

Diggs is no way done. He just seems to be a fire that’s burning from a smaller ember the more we end up missing out on the big dance. 

That guy makes the ONE play we need him to, this conversation likely doesn't happen. The ball hits you in the hands, you HAVE to catch it.

Unfortunately, the big talker hasn't done much of that lately

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That guy makes the ONE play we need him to, this conversation likely doesn't happen. The ball hits you in the hands, you HAVE to catch it.

Unfortunately, the big talker hasn't done much of that lately

I’m with you bro, he’s been a let down. I’ve questioned his play several times this season…

However…

That, at least to me, doesn't mean he’s done.

After another disappointing end to the season, he might be done with Buffalo subconsciously. Make no mistake though, he can still play. Maybe we all hope with less talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

This is the major problem with this team. Far too much cap space devoted to players that contribute at a level far below their cap number would warrant.

Now that the QB contract has really kicked in, you can't get away without cap efficiency. Bills are the opposite of cap-efficient. This is really difficult to overcome.

This is precisely why I am pro going very conservative in 2024. Any major restructure to clear space is just destroying our cap efficiency. Outside of discontent it is my biggest reason for me advocating moving on from Diggs for the extra $3M pre June 2024 rather than 2025. 

My one quibble on this is moving on from Knox. It doesn't really provide any relief or any value. I think he could maybe be prime for an extension after 24/25 to lower his cap hit with a lesser value. Dawson will have to decide if he still wants to be apart of this for the future as a secondary TE option on passing downs or does he want to take more money to be a primary elsewhere. I think he stays. 

EDIT: Speak of the devil. I just found this from Knox after the game. 

Edited by Mango

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is precisely why I am pro going very conservative in 2024. Any major restructure to clear space is just destroying our cap efficiency. Outside of discontent it is my biggest reason for me advocating moving on from Diggs for the extra $3M pre June 2024 rather than 2025. 

My one quibble on this is moving on from Knox. It doesn't really provide any relief or any value. I think he could maybe be prime for an extension after 24/25 to lower his cap hit with a lesser value. Dawson will have to decide if he still wants to be apart of this for the future as a secondary TE option on passing downs or does he want to take more money to be a primary elsewhere. I think he stays. 

A trimming the fat, tightening their Belts 2024 (possibly even a down year) might be the best path to future success in 2025 and beyond.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

I think this is why we see teams making the hard decision to let guys go when they become too expensive. Even if the guy is a monster, it's a huge gamble considering the injury risk in football. Your $20M a year player isn't worth anything if he's rehabbing. 

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Do we know this for sure? We're paying him like he can.

107-1183-8 is production for a guy who’s done?

Come on brother… 😂

I’ll give you “done” in terms of the mental aspect in believing he can win it here…

I can’t give you “done” at the position after that stat line on a season…

Whatever works for you I guess?

By that standard we better start looking at options to replace Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield and Knox who can compliment Josh with Cook/2Pac/King Cade.

Just now, BBFL said:

107-1183-8 is production for a guy who’s done?

Come on brother… 😂

I’ll give you “done” in terms of the mental aspect in believing he can win it here…

I can’t give you “done” at the position after that stat line on a season…

Whatever works for you I guess?

By that standard we better start looking at options to replace Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield and Knox who can compliment Josh with Cook/2Pac/King Cade.

Look at the splits pre-week 10 and post

He fell off a cliff mid-season.

11 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Look at the splits pre-week 10 and post

He fell off a cliff mid-season.

There’s an issue there, we just don’t know what. 

The drop off in his production was the same last year, not as bad but present, until the finals third of the year… Maybe we treat the WRs like the DLine and rotate?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.