Anyone else more low-key about this loss than you thought you'd be?

Success

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

We had 16 passes completed behind the line of scrimmage,  the offence has been nothing like we saw years ago

We can't stretch the field, we can't separate and most importantly we can't catch the damn football.

I'm ambivalent about keeping Brady or not, but it starts with us needing playmakers. After that, we need an OC to rebuild this offense from the ground up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think more than anything, upon waking up this AM, I'm bored.  Most of my in-season free/dick-around time is watching Bills-related Youtube breakdowns, previews, etc.  Now, I don't want to go anywhere near any football site that is not a Bills fan site.  Same thing as every year...I'll be "over it" by tomorrow and then probably watch some of the Championship games and the Super Bowl...then football goes away completely for me (for the most part) until the draft.

Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?

Yes, you should. I argue with my brothers that Sean has hit a ceiling going back to 13 seconds. His defense also could not keep a lead against Texans before that. Even during the regular season his defense can’t get an out. Its been a constant ever since he arrived. He's a good coach but to a point. Your defensive lineman are simply too small, undersized and outmanned. IMO along with many national reporters the game has passed Sean by. I was all in with him until the 13 second game.

What I saw in that game was so bizarre I thought someone fixed the game. What’s further bizarre is now obvious to me as to how this coach thinks. He plays the Jesus and God card but they don’t really have his back and I am a spiritual guy who believes in God and goes to church. Sean you’re not really the coach as presented to us in ***** as there is some merit to the Tyler Dunne article. 

You need to leave as you interfere with a gifted quarterback’s career. Hopefully Mr. Owner will see this as he has young kids. In brief it’s my opinion is that Sean’s entire state of mind with respect to NFL coaching is old and out of touch. Your defense is always hurt as your undersized defensive line puts the stress on the 2nd and 3rd tier players as linebackers and defensive backs. So guess what. They break.

Look at all the time the team wasted on that Damar Hamlin 4th down play call.  Really Damar Hamlin? Sean this isn’t a religious crusade. It’s a football game and after several years of playoff losses God doesn’t have your back. Your apparently not worth it or rely on him way too much to cover your faults, instead of you doing the job yourself. Damlar doesn’t have the speed as a running back and you put Allen on the sideline over him on that 4th down gadget play? It’s also like the other crazy gadget plays that never work as the other teams know you yet your team wastes valuable time on a short week on that versus fundamentals that were missing the entire game on the defensive line and the offensive line in the 2nd half against Kansas City. 

Your priorities aren’t in order and your head is toxic. 

Get of out town. Please 

Yeah, I’m sad but not despondent.  When they were 6-6 you had a feeling this year wasn’t the year.  I give them credit for a great run to get to last night, but you can’t beat the Chiefs with so many guys hurt on D.  Needed one more hero moment from Josh at the end but just couldn’t get it.

Edited by oldmanfan

6 hours ago, Success said:

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

I feel more sanguine than the last two years. We gave it away two years ago. We never turned up last year. This year we played in a really high quality football game against a really high quality opponent and it came down to one or two plays at the end and we just couldn't execute to make one more play than they did. 

It sucks. But the sky is not falling. I feel better heading into this offseason than I did heading into the last one. There are numerous young players who have stood up and been counted this year who are going to be part of the Josh Allen era 2.0 core: Bernard, Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Benford. We had our best offensive line arguably of the Allen era and those guys will all be back I would think. Ed Oliver emerged from nearly man to true difference maker. 

Sure, there are some big questions to answer to - what happens with some of the older guys on good contracts: White, Von Miller, Douglas, Poyer and even Stef. And there are some of the older FAs: Floyd, Hyde, Jones to consider. But overall this team has started on its transition path. Find another player or two in the draft and FA and let's go from there. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Don’t kid yourself, it was 100% us having a shell of a defense. Mahomes had one long run and was a game manager hitting wide ope receivers all night. Little to no pressure, all day to wait for someone to come open. 

Which is why having Bernard and Benford would’ve added little to the overall picture. The healthy DL was dominated. We weren’t getting a player back that pressures Mahomes consistently enough to force him into mistakes. They couldn’t stop the run, they couldn’t rush the passer. It was a bad night for that unit. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

No, this effin team finds ways to

gut its fans every season. I’m pissed

18 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

We can't stretch the field, we can't separate and most importantly we can't catch the damn football.

I'm ambivalent about keeping Brady or not, but it starts with us needing playmakers. After that, we need an OC to rebuild this offense from the ground up.

I agree and was a problem all season,  it kept teams in games and we lost some of those games because we were not blowing teams away that we should easily beat.

• Agree 1

Would have liked to see them give Mahomes and the Chiefs their first road playoff loss, but even if that happened, I was not expecting them to beat the Ravens next week, the way they have been playing.  Now AJ Klein can get back to his vacation.  

Nothing is going to change with McD leading this team.  The big playoff losses are the expectation at this point, a win last night would have been a surprise to be honest.  

The Bills are handicapped with a coach who is just not good enough and is out coached time after time after time.  He doesn’t have any answers.   He doesn’t change.  Wash, rinse, cycle repeat.  This is who they are under McD.  Josh deserves better.   Fans deserve better.  This city deserves better.  

The only way anything changes is with a change in the leadership.  Till then, expect disappointment and hope for a miracle season where Josh puts the entire city on his back, tells McD to take a seat, and wins despite the ***** coaching and organizational build of the team around him. 

Edited by Preds
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Which is why having Bernard and Benford would’ve added little to the overall picture. The healthy DL was dominated. We weren’t getting a player back that pressures Mahomes consistently enough to force him into mistakes. They couldn’t stop the run, they couldn’t rush the passer. It was a bad night for that unit. 

it may have made a difference on Kelce early on, it would have been nice to have Bernard, he has also applied pressure to qb’s in the past.

I'm disappointed but not crushed. Of there wasn't a chance of losing, they wouldn't play the game so we have to accept it. I felt like we almost created another epic debacle with the fake punt. It would have been like 13 seconds again. But instead we got bailed out and fought until the end, then lost. So while it is essentially the same outcome as the 13 seconds game (we go home and the Chiefs go to the AFC championship), it doesn't feel as bad. Maybe that's because with the injuries I felt we were barely hanging onto this game, whereas in 13 seconds it really seemed like we had it won and lost it. Whatever the reason it isn't quite as bad emotionally as a game where we blow a late lead or one where we get robbed by the refs. We just didn't make enough plays to win.

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Losing has become expected so I feel the same I guess.

on to next year. A least we know we will win the division again. Hopefully we stop screwing around and eae r he 1 seed. That would at least likely give us a favorable road to the AFCCG. 

Yeah I mean if they hadnt lost so many stupid games, they get the #1 seed, and dont play last week, avoiding all those injuries on D

Lack of mental discipline killed this team, and I see absolutely nothing in the cards to indicate improvement.  Mentally soft and lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

Perspective. It's not life or death. It's entertainment.

As much as we all hope for the elusive Lombardi each year, the reality is that since the league went to 32 teams in 2002, 21 teams have claimed that prize. Twenty-One! 

As much as we tend to measure success against teams like the Brady-led Patriots, the 80's 49'ers, and now the Chiefs, these dynasties are rare.  Getting to the dance is rare. It's unknown territory for a handful of teams.

Winning the Superbowl is every team's goal as OTAs begin. If my math is correct, 651 teams since 2002 have not reached that goal set at the beginning of the year. 

I don't know if the Bills will ever get there. At least they're competitive and have a chance. So much depends on the team's health through the long season. A few lucky (or unlucky) breaks, missed calls, etc can factor into  getting there. 

Yes, we have to start all over, just like 31 other teams will have to. We have a team I expect will be entertaining as long as Josh Allen is our QB. Enjoy the ride, even if it's a little bumpy at times. 

Life goes on.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm just numb at this point. Tried to have a conversation with the wife over coffee this morning but she wasn't having it. She said she can't handle the heartbreak anymore. Me, I'll be there next year. Injuries really hurt on D. He couldn't miss it to the left? Unreal.  So it goes this thing of ours. 

Not even a little weird. It is a 100% legit question imo.

I am not as furious as I might have been had I not known the problems that the Bills were facing before the game. I was already disillusioned with McDermott in terms of the power he has and his horrible philosophy of team building.

Many (if not most of us) will never in our lifetime see a QB as talented as Josh Allen on the Bills. It might never even happen. Last night was a fine example of what will occur when a team uses their best resources on defense, instead of giving Josh the tools that he needs and deserves. 

That said, McDermott isn't going anywhere and it will be interesting to see which way he goes in the future. I for one hope that he goes to another team but this is jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I too am not as upset as I would expect.

Is aj klein and a banged up tyrel dodson a super bowl winning lb group? That's an easy answer. If the bills had milano and bernard and the game ended the same way I would probably be more upset.

The Chiefs were healthy, and exploited a clear weakness.  Even with that the Bills played their hearts out and almost came away with it.

Wide right is just some cosmic salt on the wound.  

I have fully accepted that it takes a ton of skill AND luck to win the super bowl and luck isn't really the Bills strength lol.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.