Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Josh carried the Bills tonight. But the difference in the end? Mahomes came up clutch when he needed to. Josh didn’t. It’s unusual for him, but it came at the most ill opportune time. Goodness knows what they do now - if we were lost at QB this would be the perfect time to rip it up and start again, but you cannot waste a year of his career like that. Feels lost at the moment and I’d be perfectly happy if McDermott is fired, Brady axed and Bass let go tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Nance was annoying with the wide right thing.   My mind was not there.  It is really stupid any missed kick has to be referenced back to a previous missed kick that is completely irrelevant.  People are so dumb

I used to like Nantz and Romo but honestly they suck as much as the rest of them these days.

13 seconds OMG. Wide right OMG.

Do they think they're being clever? FFS...

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Defense was swiss cheese all game and then finally came through twice when it looked like we were done, only for the offense to stall out with Josh missing open guys on key plays. It stings.

We're still not good enough. Coaching still isn't good enough against the better teams. We still don't get pressure when it matters. Mahomes > Allen still. 

Andy Reid totally owns McD and his scheme and always will. McD will never beat him when it matters. Even if we were healthy, it would’ve been the same. He just absolutely shreds McD.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

McD deserves credit for turning the Bills franchise around. He deserves credit for rallying the team at 6 - 6 winning 6 in a row, the Division title, and the first playoff game.  But the Bills will NEVER win a Super Bowl with him as head coach.  The division round is it.

McD is Marvin Lewis with a much better QB then Lewis had.

I get those that don't want to move on from McD.  Down here in Cincinnati I was in the camp of keeping Lewis because he took the worst franchise in football and made them a regular playoff team.  So I've been there and done that.  I was wrong about Lewis back then and those people who want to keep McD now are wrong about that.

I know if they keep McD and continue to focus on the D in the draft and free agency then the last 3 seasons will be our fate as Bills fans gong forward. And that sucks.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Does it even matter anymore?

We won't win anything unless another team KO's the Chiefs from the playoffs before we meet them.

Doesn't matter what else is happening, the mental hurdle is now too huge for this group. They've realized that no matter what happens, the other team is more clutch, has better coaching, and has zero concern they'll ever lose to the Bills when it matters.

The 90's Bills waiting for that other shoe to drop in the Super Bowl, these guys are probably thinking the same thing. Allen has now seen that no matter how hard he plays, the only way he wins is if the Chiefs hurt themselves. Diggs knows it too.

It's sad, but I have no faith anymore. And no, hoping the team is magically healthy at the end of the season won't change anything.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He went for a TD and would have got it without Jones hitting him as he threw.  Can't really complain about that one.

No offense...But of course you can... We needed at least one more if not 2 more 1st downs, then score... That pattern should not have even been available to Josh because of course he's going to throw it. He's Josh Allen and he can't help himself... And sure it's a TD if he can step into it... But he couldn't because it's a 30 yard route, it takes a little more time, and their best defensive player effected the throw. Instead if we throw 2 HIGH percentage 5 yard passes... Or call a Josh run and a pass. Get at least one more 1st down...Then KC has to use their 2 TO's bare minimum... Get another 1st down and worst case scenario it's a chip shot FG with no time left. .

We blew it... Period...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know what the third down play call was at the end, but they should have been calling the play like they were going to go for 4th down. Pick up 5-8 yards and put the game in the hands of Allen.

Brady in general called a pretty poor game in the second half IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Josh carried the Bills tonight. But the difference in the end? Mahomes came up clutch when he needed to. Josh didn’t. It’s unusual for him, but it came at the most ill opportune time. Goodness knows what they do now - if we were lost at QB this would be the perfect time to rip it up and start again, but you cannot waste a year of his career like that. Feels lost at the moment and I’d be perfectly happy if McDermott is fired, Brady axed and Bass let go tomorrow.

Had a TD to Shakir that ended up short due to being hit as he threw by Chris Jones...I can't really complain about it...just a good play by the DT who was mostly silent all night long. Multiple drops on long dimes by Allen to Sherfield and then to Diggs.  McD doesn't have anything to do with that.  He was aggressive all night, I can't really pin this on him.  The D simply was being held together by duct tape and even the guys who were playing hurt were clearly not anywhere near 100%. Douglas was a liability out there and should have been subbed for Elam, IMO.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The irony of this game is that the player they needed most was DeAndre Hopkins.  Especially in the fourth quarter.  He comes down with those deep shots from Allen.  But Beane needed to pay Jordan Phillips, Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, Poona Ford.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Governor said:

Andy Reid totally owns McD and his scheme and always will. McD will never beat him when it matters.

Ehh...I don't know.  This game came down to players making/not making plays when needed and Allen getting hit as he threw to wide open Shakir in the end zone.  At some point, the players have to be the ones to make the difference.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Big Turk said:

Had a TD to Shakir that ended up short due to being hit as he threw by Chris Jones...I can't really complain about it...just a good play by the DT who was mosgtly silent all night long.

I dunno, I thinking he was hit after the throw there. Just a poor throw. 

• Like (+1) 1

They called it on SiriusXm this morning.

The guy said it would be 27-24. Be controversial and come down to last blown plays. He even said what the exact storyline would be and why.

I have the audio

Edited by darkman

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

McD deserves credit for turning the Bills franchise around. He deserves credit for rallying the team at 6 - 6 winning 6 in a row, the Division title, and the first playoff game.  But the Bills will NEVER win a Super Bowl with him as head coach.  The division round is it.

McD is Marvin Lewis with a much better QB then Lewis had.

I get those that don't want to move on from McD.  Down here in Cincinnati I was in the camp of keeping Lewis because he took the worst franchise in football and made them a regular playoff team.  So I've been there and done that.  I was wrong about Lewis back then and those people who want to keep McD now are wrong about that.

I know if they keep McD and continue to focus on the D in the draft and free agency then the last 3 seasons will be our fate as Bills fans gong forward. And that sucks.

We just extended him. McD isn't going anywhere. Neither is Beane.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Couldn't disagree with this take more strongly.

Mahomes didn't get a first down twice at the end of the game (bailed out the first time by a penalty), when he could have essentially ended the game. Allen did at least the minimum of his job, which was get the Bills into FG position to extend the game and he did that just fine even with Brady wasting every first down with a Cook run for no gain.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Yeah all of our weaknesses finally caught up to us.

Special teams. Receiving corps. Linebacker corps.

Funny, all the people who complained about those units early in the year were dismissed as being negative nancy's and greeted with eyeroll emoji's, but... well, here we are.

Sometimes even message board fans can call a spade a spade.

I've been calling a spade a spade for a long time. The typical response here is I'm a troll. 

On to next season folks..

It was a turbulent season to say the last. To be honest, I'm not even taking the loss too harshly. I knew it was a very real possibility. Kind of half expected it because that's what the Bills do. Fall short in the playoffs. So in a sense, I'm a little numb to the disappointment. 

It was an entertaining game. The Bills played hard and didn't lose because of effort. It was execution and a great KC team that knows how to win. Come playoff time the Chiefs are a different teams than in the regular season. So many here failed to see, recognize, or admit this. The Bills are somewhat the opposite. Great regular and fall short in the playoffs. So many here fail to see, recognize, or admit this.

Tonight was a glaring example of a team, coaching staff, and players that know how to win. Folks, that team is the KC Chiefs. They came into building of the Bills Mafia and handled business. 

Once again, the Buffalo Bills fall short. It's not unfamiliar territory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Another year of Josh Allen being wasted.

I'm stoked to see Beane waste the offseason rebuilding the secondary, linebacker core, defensive line, kicker, punter, long snapper, and secondary again.  Anything for the guy who got him his job.  

It's because his long-time buddy the head coach is a defensive coach.  McD makes sure the D gets addressed in the draft so he can play a passive soft cover zone scheme with 1st round picks.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

Andy Reid totally owns McD and his scheme and always will. McD will never beat him when it matters.

Elite QB's and coaches have their way with Sean McDermott. It's just the truth

He will never be able to beat those guys...even with a better team and home field. 

That is where we are with this team

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Chugga said:

I will forever be thankful and grateful for what McDermott helped create here in Buffalo.  But I’m so tired of being outcoached in the playoffs.

I feel like winning relies so heavily on Josh Allen magic and never scheme.

I get that we have been short handed almost criminally short handed.  But when your specialty is defense and you can only force 1 punt a game I just worry that we’ve hit the ceiling with what we have.

McD is now 5-6 in the playoffs. Outside of beating Baltimore where Jackson got a concussion has he beaten a top QB lead team?  He’s choked games away against Watson, Mahomes and got embarrassed by Burrow.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.