Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Does anybody have any idea what implications the State of Emergency has on the game? 

One would assume it is an automatic postponement or relocation, right? 

no. State of emergency just allows pieces to be in place to help out to clear snow and rescue stranded people and restore power. SOE does not equal driving bans and all that. NFL might take it into consideration, that I have no clue. But SOE is an order to allow for certain things to be put in place ahead of time in this case.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Latest NWS forecast has increased highest snow totals from 24 to 36 inches.

This is not your average lake effect snow event

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!11111111111SHIFTONESHIFTONEONEONEOOOoooo....

Edited by boyst

3 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Did you create a burner account for this one circumstance or did you lock it up during the chilly pats game two years ago?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

And what if it was??? We'd have lost on purpose "bcuz snow is coming next week". What?

We were already in the playoffs. We'd have played backups.

I don't think people are getting the difference between ordinary "bad weather" and the kind of conditions we played in vs. the Colts in 2017 (sustained massive snow but no wind; we pulled it off in OT with Joe Webb playing QB - that just shows how flukey the conditions made it) or vs. the Pats in 2021 on Monday night (they won with Mac Jones throwing 3 passes). THAT's the kind of weather I'm talking about. If we get that, it's basically a coin flip.

The fact Schefter addressed this means contingency plans are in place.

Whether the “status quo” changes, we shall see.

I tend to think it’s 90/10 we play at 1 pm Sunday, but Schefter posting about our game, both tweets, puts some doubt in my mind. 

Especially with the ominous “….” at the end of his post. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

The fact Schefter addressed this means contingency plans are in place.

Whether the “status quo” changes, we shall see.

I tend to think it’s 90/10 we play at 1 pm Sunday, but Schefter posting about our game, both tweets, puts some doubt in my mind. 

there always were and are contigency plans. he addressed this to garner clicks.

his immediate post after this was teams were told games are to be played as scheduled.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Especially with the ominous “….” at the end of his post. 

The dreaded ellipsis!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

there always were and are contigency plans. he addressed this to garner clicks.

his immediate post after this was teams were told games are to be played as scheduled.

Perhaps. 

If I tell you the the teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm game.

or

teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm games…

Which makes you more certain?

Im not sure the league wants to draw attention to a State of Emergency being usurped for a football game, God forbid anything tragic were to happen as a result. 

13 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Not average... but also not record shattering.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't think people are getting the difference between ordinary "bad weather" and the kind of conditions we played in vs. the Colts in 2017 (sustained massive snow but no wind; we pulled it off in OT with Joe Webb playing QB - that just shows how flukey the conditions made it) or vs. the Pats in 2021 on Monday night (they won with Mac Jones throwing 3 passes). THAT's the kind of weather I'm talking about. If we get that, it's basically a coin flip.

I was at that game in 2017 

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Of course not.   But we could plow.  And drive.  And see.  As I understand your point (it’s not going to be markedly better on Monday),  I reject it.  I’ve lived through it.  I won’t be good in Monday if the snow is as forecasted, but it will be light years better than what the current forecast indicates will be a blizzard on Sunday. 

Not like this weather.  Sorry, but you’re wrong.  The Bills have never hosted a football game in the type of weather that is forecasted for Sunday,  

There is zero chance that a day after a storm like that ended a game could be played.  Some people were stuck in their homes for a week.  over 30 people died. Plowing routes to and from the stadium was not a public priority, as you should already have known.

If it is to be as bad as you are saying, they wouldn't be playing Monday. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Perhaps. 

If I tell you the the teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm game.

or

teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm games…

Which makes you more certain?

Im not sure the league wants to draw attention to a State of Emergency being usurped for a football game, God forbid anything tragic were to happen as a result. 

Nothing is being "usurped." The State of Emergency is likely only in place BECAUSE of the football game, to ensure resources are in place for a large event during a storm. 

• Agree 1

Alot of us have driven in these snow bands.  One time I was driving from Williamsville to Ithaca.  I hit the band a few miles after i got on the Thruway going Eastbound, after Pembroke. It was terrifying. The only thing that saved me was following directly behind a Greyhound bus, barely seeing his tail lights and going 10mph.  I followed and drove in his tire tracks all the way to Rochester.   When we got to Roch, out of nowhere the sky was blue and sunny and the snow machine turned off. I was sweating bullets and was so happy to make it.  And this was just a snow band not 45+mph winds and a blizzard.

So Getting back to the Bills game.. how in the world are they gonna put 60,000+ people out there in conditions like that?!?  That would be insane.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Nothing is being "usurped." The State of Emergency is likely only in place BECAUSE of the football game, to ensure resources are in place for a large event during a storm. 

Not really sure that sounds any better, but ok…

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is zero chance that a day after a storm like that ended a game could be played.  Some people were stuck in their homes for a week.  over 30 people died. Plowing routes to and from the stadium was not a public priority, as you should already have known.

If it is to be as bad as you are saying, they wouldn't be playing Monday. 

And yet it still will be better on Monday than on Sunday.  So what’s your solution?  Bring 70+k people to OP, force the town/county/state to plow to get them out of there (which it did NOT do during the most recent major snow events to force people to stay off of the roads to allow for cleaning), and then deal with those people and others who decide to travel on roads that are marginally plowed?  And, frankly, the reason so many people (47, IIRC) died in the last storm like this one is that many of them were out on roads and were stuck in cars during the teeth of the blizzard, which is exactly why, from a public safety perspective, this game should not be played here on Sunday.  So it’s either roll the dice on Sunday, play it on Sunday (in Cleveland, apparently), or try it here or in Cleveland/Detroit on Monday.  

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Alot of us have driven in these snow bands.  One time I was driving from Williamsville to Ithaca.  I hit the band a few miles after i got on the Thruway going Eastbound, after Pembroke. It was terrifying. The only thing that saved me was following directly behind a Greyhound bus, barely seeing his tail lights and going 10mph.  I followed and drove in his tire tracks all the way to Rochester.   When we got to Roch, out of nowhere the sky was blue and sunny and the snow machine turned off. I was sweating bullets and was so happy to make it.  And this was just a snow band not 45+mph winds and a blizzard.

So Getting back to the Bills game.. how in the world are they gonna put 60,000+ people out there in conditions like that?!?  That would be insane.

This.  It’s nuts.  Unless you’ve been in it, you don’t understand.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Dome, no dome, whatever.

But do you have to build the new stadium on the same Orchard Park site? How about somewhere a little outside the worst lake effect area? 

It makes you wonder if putting the new one in OP was the best idea.

If there are truly going to be blizzard conditions during the scheduled time of the game they are going to have to do something.  You can't put peoples lives in danger for a game. Especially when we just lost lives tragically last year. I think the most obvious solution is to move the game to Monday at 4. They moved a game to Tuesday a few years ago because of Covid,  so what could the excuse be to not now??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I sat through both of those.  Combine them and it’s going to be a joke.  From a football perspective, this is a horrid forecast.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

And yet it still will be better on Monday than on Sunday.  So what’s your solution?  Bring 70+k people to OP, force the town/county/state to plow to get them out of there (which it did NOT do during the most recent major snow events to force people to stay off of the roads to allow for cleaning), and then deal with those people and others who decide to travel on roads that are marginally plowed?  And, frankly, the reason so many people (47, IIRC) died in the last storm like this one is that many of them were out on roads and were stuck in cars during the teeth of the blizzard, which is exactly why, from a public safety perspective, this game should not be played here on Sunday.  So it’s either roll the dice on Sunday, play it on Sunday (in Cleveland, apparently), or try it here or in Cleveland/Detroit on Monday.  

Doesn't Detroit host a game this weekend?  Cleveland seems to be the best bet.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So you would agree that the way the game played out was basically a roll of the dice. Nathan Peterman actually performed well (!). If that's not enough to convince you, nothing will.

You're not going to convince me of anything, sir. You said if you could hypothetically see the weather for sunday a week ago, you'd throw the game vs Miami in order to play them again in Miami. That's insane. Regardless of how bad it will be.

1 minute ago, JMM said:

If there are truly going to be blizzard conditions during the scheduled time of the game they are going to have to do something.  You can't put peoples lives in danger for a game. Especially when we just lost lives tragically last year. I think the most obvious solution is to move the game to Monday at 4. They moved a game to Tuesday a few years ago because of Covid,  so what could the excuse be to not now??

It shorts us a day of rest, but I’d rather have that than an unpredictable affair in the forecasted weather. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Doesn't Detroit host a game this weekend?  Cleveland seems to be the best bet.

Detroit goes on Saturday or Sunday.  So we theoretically could play there on Monday.  Hotels, etc., might be tough.  But it’s feasible (and, from our perspective, at least familiar because we’ve played there a few times and we’re used to the routine).  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I still say I'd rather have Miami in Miami than Pittsburgh in a Buffalo blizzard. If only weather forecasting was an exact science one week out.

Could move the game to Joe Robbie, it's not like the Dolphins will be using it again this season 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.