Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

My only gripe is now a short week for the #2 seed presuming we beat Pittsburgh 

would be a short week anyway for us, all the other AFC teams play on saturday...so yea, even shorter week

• Like (+1) 1

People will bag on politicians for declaring a SOE early, however this gives the area additional state resources to keep the roads clearer, safer, etc, therefore there is a higher possibility of both the game staying in Buffalo and fans being able to get to and from the game.

This is not your average lake effect event. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

So hypothetically speaking... If they did cover the new stadium... would it survive 2+ feet of snow in a 24 hour period?

I genuinely don't know, I'm not asking rhetorically thinking I already know the answer.

It would, but the players would have to work around those huge support columns in the field every 20 yards. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

reading some of these posts is sad.  

This team has a great chance to win the Super Bowl. 

I just want to win this game. 

What outcome gives us the best chance against an inferior team?

What evens the playing field more?

I do not care, at all, about some tough guy reputation the region should have. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Can someone ban this troll ? When exactly did we ignore winter storm warnings for decades ? Any Buffalo resident knows how quickly a storm can turn dangerous. 

MODS? MODS!?!?

He's saying we handled the weather inherent to our geography for decades without the safetyism handwringing of post 2020 world. We'll be fine, as long as we prepare. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh come on. You don’t think that ALL outlets have access to the local models? Of course they do. Now, that doesn’t mean they’re going to rely on them but I guarantee that they have the internet. 

If I gave you a Japanese textbook and told you to read it, would you be able to?

Most likely not. Same concept. They can have all the information but without knowing how that effects things on a local and granular level they don't do much good. All they can do is give a general guideline. 

Read the forecasts on NOAA Buffalo and then these and you'll see how they differ usually quite a bit in these events.

Edited by Big Turk

22 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

or just postpone the game to monday in OP, storm will be gone

Exactly.  Made the point upthread.  We play Monday, next game for winner is Sunday night.  (Makes sense b/c it’s likely to be Bills Chiefs, which almost certainly would be on Sunday night, anyways, or Steelers Ravens, which is an appropriate Sunday night game.)

22 minutes ago, par73 said:

Even switching to Monday might be tough. It is supposed to linger, at least into the morning. And you have potentially massive clean-up to deal with.

That can be dealt with.  It’s not the best use of public resources, but they can get 90/190/219/20A open.  Lots can be cleared.  Private lots are on their own, but it’s feasible.  The big issue is getting people in and out of the Stadium in an ongoing blizzard, which it appears we will have on Sunday.  No amount of equipment is going to resolve that issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

And the first thing everyone will say if it were to happen would be "That's insane". 

That’s probably true, but not everyone. What somebody well said a few comments up the page is that NOBODY would/should go about planning an outdoor event in these conditions. Either the day or venue would be changed for EVERY OTHER such event ( wedding, concert, convention, etc.). 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s probably true, but not everyone. What somebody well said a few comments up the page is that NOBODY would/should go about planning an outdoor event in these conditions. Either the day or venue would be changed for EVERY OTHER such event ( wedding, concert, convention, etc.). 

Agreed.  All day long.  And I get that someone is going to say that this is a football game, not a wedding or a party or whatever.  I agree with that point.  Football is meant to be played in the elements.  But football games with 70k+ attendees are not meant to HOSTED in such elements.  I’m going to bang on the Monday late afternoon drum on this one all day long.

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed.  All day long.  And I get that someone is going to say that this is a football game, not a wedding or a party or whatever.  I agree with that point.  Football is meant to be played in the elements.  But football games with 70k+ attendees are not meant to HOSTED in such elements.  I’m going to bang on the Monday late afternoon drum on this one all day long.

We're the worst matchup draw out of any of the games seeding wise this weekend. Why not a Monday 1pm game? It's a holiday anyways, alot of people off. It would not affect the rest for AFC moving forward all that much either. 

• Agree 1

On FS1,  NFL Reporter Albert Breer said he checked with the league and no discussion yet on moving the Bills game or any time/day changes.  He did say because it's a Sunday game they still have time..  He goes on that if the NFL deems it to be an unsafe thing for fans and staff to attend the game and get home, they may do something.  But he thinks the forecast has to get WORSE for them to move it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

We're the worst matchup draw out of any of the games seeding wise this weekend. Why not a Monday 1pm game? It's a holiday anyways, alot of people off. It would not affect the rest for AFC moving forward all that much either. 

That’s the point.  I’d run it at 4p on Sunday and use it as lead in to MNF.  ESPN may complain, but whatever.  Bump the start of that game back a bit to let ESPN have a more captive audience for the pre-game programming.  It’s a common-sense, easy solution.  Only downside is that the schedule for the following weekend can’t be set until the conclusion of any early Monday game that might be played.  (Late game would be a 4/5 game in NFC, IIRC, meaning that the destination of the winner is dictated by the results in other games.)

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

On FS1,  NFL Reporter Albert Breer said he checked with the league and no discussion yet on moving the Bills game or any time/day changes.  He did say because it's a Sunday game they still have time..  He goes on that if the NFL deems it to be an unsafe thing for fans and staff to attend the game and get home, they may do something.  But he thinks the forecast has to get WORSE for them to move it.  

From what I understand Hochul just declared a state of emergency.  State and local officials might be able to force the issue here and get it pushed back a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Has to get worse? What have they been looking at-- or who have they been talking to?

20 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Hochul issued a SOE but the game is staying in Buffalo? Come on! If it's going to be that bad, I would say move it or postpone it. 

the state of emergency is important to free up resources ahead of any weather incidents and cuts red tape.

• Like (+1) 3

NFL games moved due to weather since 2006:

Buffalo Bills vs. Cleveland Browns (2022) A massive snowstorm in Buffalo led to the game being moved to Ford Field in Detroit.

Buffalo Bills vs. New York Jets (2017) A severe snowstorm in Buffalo caused the game to be moved to Ford Field in Detroit.

Minnesota Vikings vs. New York Giants (2010) The collapse of the roof due to heavy snow led to the game being moved to Ford Field in Detroit.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings (2010) A severe snowstorm in Philadelphia caused the game to be postponed 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This is a football game, not a wedding, concert, convention, inauguration, funeral, etc. This is important.

• Haha (+1) 6

Just now, BrettFavre said:

This is a football game, not a wedding, concert, convention, inauguration, funeral, etc. This is important.

Agreed on the importance.  And it’s not a football game, it’s a PLAYOFF game.  One must skip at leas the first four of the events you mentioned for such an affair.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I was at that game (which was also against the Steelers IIRC)… not the stadium grounds crew‘s finest hour!

Yeah.  No kidding.  I think the crew actually had to shovel the pellets after halftime.

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

I was at that game (which was also against the Steelers IIRC)… not the stadium grounds crew‘s finest hour!

I was there too. Sitting in the end zone just a few rows up. We couldn't stop laughing at the huge mess they made. Once it started happening in the middle, they sort of just committed to ruining the entire field just to get the pellets all the way off.

9 minutes ago, par73 said:

Has to get worse? What have they been looking at-- or who have they been talking to?

That's what the interviewer, Cowherd,  said.  He's like it's going to be 65mph wind gusts and heavy snow you can't possibly play a game in that,, lol.

BTW- I have not seen 65mph, is that on the table now?!?

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I still say I'd rather have Miami in Miami than Pittsburgh in a Buffalo blizzard. If only weather forecasting was an exact science one week out.

with Rapp and (likely) Douglas both out?  Nah.  Give me Pittsburgh at home 10 times out of 10.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I still say I'd rather have Miami in Miami than Pittsburgh in a Buffalo blizzard. If only weather forecasting was an exact science one week out.

And what if it was??? We'd have lost on purpose "bcuz snow is coming next week". What?

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Does anybody have any idea what implications the State of Emergency has on the game? 

One would assume it is an automatic postponement or relocation, right? 

Speculation, but I think a main reason for SOE is because there is a game. Additional resources will be needed to logistically make the game happen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.