Will/Should Von be active vs. the Fish?

Will/Should Von be active vs. the Fish?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. WILL Von be active vs. the Fish?

2. 2. SHOULD Von be active vs. the Fish?

Based on what we have seen this year, and more specifically eleven days ago at his last performance, NO

Based on who he is when fully healthy YES

So we really aren't in a position to decide which of the above he best fits 11 days later. I strongly would guess no, but I also don't think that he is somehow permanently cooked, and can never resemble the Von of old, so whenever that shows up in practice as judged by the coaching staff, I can't wait to see him active again, and really hope it is Sunday night (because they saw something this week that he didn't have 11 days ago).

Von is a shell of the guy who Beane signed to that ridiculous contract 2 yrs ago. Lesson to be learned, don’t sign 33 yr old players to 5 year contracts with 70 million guaranteed. Now he doesn’t have the bend to turn the corner and can’t bull rush NFL tackles. Bottom line, and never thought I could say this, but Lawson and A J are just better options.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

We’re witnessing a replay of Mario Williams final season with the Bills. We loved the FA signing and he was great early on. But he completely fell off the radar to a point where he was manhandled by pedestrian Tackles one on one. A true liability every play he was on the field! In Millers’ case, he’s recovering from an injury he witlessly refused to acknowledge while being an absolute bore at a microphone. Compound this with the egregious charges he’s facing and his invisible presence on the field. It’s over. Sit him. June 1st it is.

Edit: the poll won’t accept my vote as I didn’t answer the 1st question; WILL he be active on Sunday? I dunno..🤷‍♂️

I gotta love the use of the word "egregious" 😍  And we are "at one" that I've seen a bit too much of Von Miller at the microphone when I'd rather have seen players who were actually out there grinding and making stuff happen, like Big Ed and Epenesa.

One thing I just noticed: reading the Spotrac fine print, Von Miller has $10.7M of 2024 salary already guaranteed (guaranteed at signing).  His remaining $6.44M guarantees near the start of the League new year, in March 2024.

Usually in these circs, the remaining money is "injury guaranteed now", meaning if Von Miller plays and is hurt, the Bills are 'on the hook' for the whole thing. 

It's possible that the Bills, in a quieter and less publicity-ridden way, are doing the same thing the Broncos did in benching Russell Wilson for their final games - keeping some of their 2024 cap options open.

3 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Did not practice "vet rest" today

The cynic in me says that we're waiting for the NFL to finish counting the indignant emails and notes they got asking why Drew Ogletree, a 2022 6th round Colts TE of no particular pedigree and 9 NFL receptions, is on the commissioner's exempt list for DV while Von Miller is standing in front of a microphone saying it's all a terrible misunderstanding while free to practice and play.   I think they have a measuring stick, and if the pile is over a certain height, on the Exempt list he goes.

• Like (+1) 2

50 people have voted “yes” for he should be? 

Change his name to John Smith and forget the “I’ve heard of Von Miller” thinking and look at his actual on the field performance. He’s 100% a liability. When he’s on the field, we have 10 effective players. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't think he will be active but call it the cautious, conservative coach in me I worry a bit if Jonathan is there in big spots. Was noticeable in the New England game that in the bigger spots late Shaq was out there even in pass rush situations. I am not sure that is ideal and suggests they don't fully trust Jonathan.

It is explained multiple places. They save $6.79m against the 2024 cap by cutting Von with a post 1 June designation. It would be $17m dead cap in 2024 and $15m dead cap in 2025. But it does create cap space next year.

I'm looking at spotrac... He has a dead cap hit of 32M next year and in 2025 goes down to 15.417M. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/ 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

On that page look at post 1 June release on the 2024 tab.

Yes, Post-June 1, 2024 numbers:

2024 Dead Cap: $17,084,0002025 Dead Cap: $15,417,0002024 Cap Savings: $6,790,000

Thanks for that. I thought we couldn't release Von till the 2025 season. It's a lot of dead cap but the almost $7 million of savings can help resign Floyd.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He's active

secret weapon will be unleashed against Tua

Playing possum till tonight.

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That’s not a limp

Dude is limping in the viddy  wtf

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

secret weapon will be unleashed against Tua

Playing possum till tonight.

Dude is limping in the viddy  wtf

The secret weapon is that scene from waterboy where Adam Sandler pretended the opposing QB was a little baby...

I'm this case, tua is the future baby momma

• Haha (+1) 2

He has shown modest flashes until the last 1-2 games.  I think there's still a glimmer of hope for him yet this season.  I wouldn't play him a lot but give him a handful of opportunities and see what he does with them.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:28 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'm looking at spotrac... He has a dead cap hit of 32M next year and in 2025 goes down to 15.417M. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/ 

I suspect they will consider making him a post June first cut after next season unless there is some massive changes Von makes to his deal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.