Broncos benching Wilson

Dablitzkrieg

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

What do they mean by “preserving financial flexibility for the off-season” 

does benching him this season save them money somehow?  

It saves them from the risk of him being injured and they have to pay a $37 mil guarantee. But it is a strange way to word it.

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

26 TDs - 8 INT

3000+ yards

66%
7-8 as a starter

Yea he sounds like the problem. 

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Arent those Lamar Jackson numbers? 😈

So what you’re saying is, Wilson is an MVP candidate. Clearly another QB more worthy than Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Russ has actually had a pretty decent season for the most part even though he's asked to do a lot of things outside his skillet. 

Payton was always going to get rid of him after this year and get "his guy".

Skillet....LMAO

Perfect screw-up.🤣

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Did. Not. See. that. coming.

Is there precedent for a team benching their starter when they are still mathematically alive for the playoffs?

I grant that after the last two losses, their odds are apparently very low

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-playoff-picture-broncos-arent-technically-eliminated-yet/ar-AA1m2PHq

Lol...Google McDermott Tyrod and Peterman and see what comes up

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Fair points.  Agree completely on the impact of sacks - some coaches rate them as similar to a turnover.  But, I hadn't watched enough Broncos games to have a sense of whether Wilson was at fault or whether they were expecting him to operate behind scraps and turnstiles on OL.  

I had the impression, the latter, but there may well be designed hot reads Wilson isn't taking, as well - he certainly had a pattern as a Seattle QB of ignoring the hot read to try to extend plays and create.  (As Allen has done at times)

He does have 10 fumbles, only 5 fumbles lost FWIW.

The thing is, if they're going to bite the bullet, eat the massive dead cap next year, and move on from Wilson, What's the Plan at QB?  They've been a bit too successful to draft a QB high.  They still owe the Saints their 2nd round pick this year as part of the trade for Sean Payton so their maneuvering room in the draft will be limited.

No argument from me! If I wanted to win the next two games, I'd have started him. But maybe they think the season is effectively over given all of the 8-7 teams, the Bills, and Browns. 

The one intriguing QB option would be signing Kirk Cousins, who is a FA and is the definition of an efficient system qb.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This is one of those deals where the stats don't tell the whole story. Russ is a vet. He should be able to pick up on things fairly quick at this point as there isn't much he has not seen. He's having a problem running Sean Payton's offense the way Sean wants it run. He also misses wide open WR's on the field an awful lot, and has since he arrived in Denver. Can't tell you how many times he's had guys wide open for what would have been drive extending plays, chunk plays, or TD's and he just doesn't see them. He's also holding onto the ball, A LOT, and it's led to him being sacked 3 times a game on average. This doesn't count how many other pressures or hits he takes because he's back there looking clueless at times. 

Makes you wonder if, like an old boxer, the hits are starting the catch up with Russ 😕

I wonder how this is sitting with the locker room?

Gotta say, I had high hopes for the Broncos with Wilson and again when Payton was hired.  

I was dead wrong.  

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I can definitely see them going after Kirk Cousins

Cousins is going to have a very hot market for his services.  

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I wonder how this is sitting with the locker room?

Gotta say, I had high hopes for the Broncos with Wilson and again when Payton was hired.  

I was dead wrong.  

Cousins is going to have a very hot market for his services.  

They actually achieved more than I thought possible this season … they had a respectable shot at a playoff berth prior to last week’s debacle.  And yes, Cousins will be the biggest veteran name available-couldn’t stand him until I watched “Quarterback”.  Now I’m pulling for a nice comeback from injury 

8 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Makes you wonder if, like an old boxer, the hits are starting the catch up with Russ 😕

I think Pete Carroll was an absolute genius who was able to mask Russ' deficiencies over the years while in Seattle and then "sold high" while he could. Look at what Carroll turned Geno into after being a career JAG. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Oddly enough, I see the Vikings being in on Russ Wilson. 

No.  They really like Kirk Cousins because he runs that system very well.  He can't play out of structure like Wilson but they seem to be willing to live with that with Cousins.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They didnt hire Sean Peyton and pay him up to  $100 million to get 26 TD/8 int season out of Wilson, it was a grand slam contract, either he gets  the Broncos to  win playoff game or two or not.  He likely wont even make the playoffs.  Hiring Payton was, a disaster imo.

This is his first year to fix the team.  Give him a few years and a stable QB and he will figure out how to compete with the Chiefs

• Haha (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  They really like Kirk Cousins because he runs that system very well.  He can't play out of structure like Wilson but they seem to be willing to live with that with Cousins.

They are running a varient of the Shanny offense too. That requires playing WITHIN structue.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.