Bills fan allegedly assaulted by Cowboys fans, family looking for answers

DaBillsFanSince1973

this is messed up, big time

Bills fan allegedly assaulted by Cowboys fans, family looking for answers

From what she has since pieced together, Hartzell said three Cowboys fans jumped her brother as he was walking to his truck. His friend was punched, but Russell suffered a dislocated ankle, as well as a fractured leg in two places. He had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance, and underwent surgery at ECMC to get pins put in his leg.

“They came out of nowhere. Basically, from what I have gathered. I mean, my brother, like I said, is a huge Bills fan. I’m sure when he was walking out of the stadium he was probably singing the Shout song, or shouting ‘Let’s go Buffalo,’ and unfortunately that probably just made the wrong person mad at the wrong time,” Hartzell said.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Sad 1

Thugs, lowlifes, meatheads and football all go together like salt and pepper! 

Worth noting there is no recorded/known instance of insurrection or rioting ever taking place inside the Colosseum in Rome during blood sport events. 

Who says people were "less sophisticated" 2,000 years ago?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Worth noting there is no recorded/known instance of insurrection or rioting ever taking place inside the Colosseum in Rome during blood sport events. 

Yea technically the Roman coliseum... But they were a bunch of amphitheatres across Roman world 

And Spartacus and his band led a revolt from the gladiator School in capua which started the third survile war

On 12/23/2023 at 4:37 PM, Limeaid said:

I have always believed that Texas lawmen were overrated.  I have friends from Texas who left after crimes were investigated inadequately. 

Even with clear license plate and front windshield view of people who did crime no suspects were found.

The vehicle was registered in local jurisdiction and police had no interest in investigating owners were long term outstanding members of community.

You didn't read the article. This took place at Highmark Stadium after the game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:37 PM, Limeaid said:

I have always believed that Texas lawmen were overrated.  I have friends from Texas who left after crimes were investigated inadequately. 

Even with clear license plate and front windshield view of people who did crime no suspects were found.

The vehicle was registered in local jurisdiction and police had no interest in investigating owners were long term outstanding members of community.

That’s police everywhere. 

• Dislike 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, Nextmanup said:

In all honesty I never really thought salt and pepper really went together.  Does anyone use pepper for anything anymore?  Salt, sure.  Not that it’s good for you.  It’s good on corn on the cob.  Why are there even pepper shakers anymore?  I’ll tell you why.  So big shaker can double their sales.  Big oil and big pharmaceutical are pretty bad but big shaker is right there with them.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

In all honesty I never really thought salt and pepper really went together.  Does anyone use pepper for anything anymore?  Salt, sure.  Not that it’s good for you.  It’s good on corn on the cob.  Why are there even pepper shakers anymore?  I’ll tell you why.  So big shaker can double their sales.  Big oil and big pharmaceutical are pretty bad but big shaker is right there with them.

Refuse to shake... Use a mill! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Only salt I use is rock salt on pretzels.  My wife uses white pepper and pink salt in cooking.

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Don’t be a fool.  Big shaker bought out the mills years ago.  They us it to appeal to the snooty crowd.  Pepper sucks and is useless.  Don’t fall for it.

We’ve got steaks going, and I’d LOVE a nice peppercorn sauce with it!   😋

Chef Thomas Keller (The French Laundry, Per Se, etc) said in his MasterClass that salt (and acid) are used to enhance the flavor of what you are cooking, while pepper is adding a flavor or changing the flavor. 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, muppy said:

there is something seriously wrong with someone being attacked for being a fan of a football team.

I hope there is some way to find out who did this and prosecute them. 

This Could have been any one of us

Hopefully prosecution, on a positive from a disappointing Dolphins win great chance Cowboys lose that division.

Then they can be the first round exit they alway are as they go into the Playoffs on the road.

Edited by Warcodered

On 12/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, Nextmanup said:

There were riots in Rome but they were fairly rate.  Pompeii was forbidden to have gladiatorial fight for 10 years due to riots.  Riots were much more common at chariot races in Byzantium. The Nika riots in 532  led to the death of 30,000 people.  Human beings have behaved like idiots for a long time,.

Too much alcohol, too much time from the time the lot opens until the game starts, too little maturity.   

Took my son to his first Syracuse game at the dome last year.  Notre Dame fan and Syracuse fan yacking back and forth all game.  Started as friendly banter, got personal when 16 beers between the two of them and Syracuse losing got involved.

I love beer as much as much as the next guy but for Christ's sake know your limit and slow down.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Chef Thomas Keller (The French Laundry, Per Se, etc) said in his MasterClass that salt (and acid) are used to enhance the flavor of what you are cooking, while pepper is adding a flavor or changing the flavor. 

I see we have a shill for big shaker.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Too much alcohol, too much time from the time the lot opens until the game starts, too little maturity.   

Took my son to his first Syracuse game at the dome last year.  Notre Dame fan and Syracuse fan yacking back and forth all game.  Started as friendly banter, got personal when 16 beers between the two of them and Syracuse losing got involved.

I love beer as much as much as the next guy but for Christ's sake know your limit and slow down.

This is why I don't drink at stadiums, too many people have no idea how to behave in public. 

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's also the personality that the booze is being poured into.  Some people it's like flipping a switch when it gets to that magical number of drinks. 

• Agree 1

On 12/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, muppy said:

there is something seriously wrong with someone being attacked for being a fan of a football team.

I hope there is some way to find out who did this and prosecute them. 

This Could have been any one of us

I am going to respectfully disagree. It could NOT have happened to me. You know why?

In a perfect world, a fan can put on a jersey, go to the stadium of an opposing team, and be treated with courtesy and respect. Sometimes this may happen too but many times alcohol takes over and opposing fans are beat up, have objects thrown at them, and or are soaked by liquids (usually beer) spilled on them. Please do not look at this post as an attempt at telling people what to do or not do. If it means that much to a fan fly our colors at an opposing stadium you should go for it. After all, you paid for your ticket. 

Most of you are probably too young to remember the "Pumpkin Game" (Bills /Jets) at the Meadowlands. I was there in "plain clothes" lol. I saw fans spit on, beaten, and bloodied. I saw women harassed and even groped. There were virtually no women in the stadium after halftime. Someone started a fire on an end zone seat and the extinguisher security had didn't work, so a drunken fan went over and urinated on it. Then, the famous (at the time) "Morganna" took off her clothes and streaked the field. At one point the players stopped playing and were watching the fights in the stands. It was insane. The stadium was SO empty at halftime that we had seats on the 50 yard line in the first row.  The "Pumpkin Game" is actually on Wikipedia. 

Once at a Bills game I was hit with various objects which were being hurled at an obnoxious Redskin Fan sitting near us (in a Skins jersey of course). I asked him to stop acting out and he gave me the old "I bought my ticket and have my rights," etc. When I told the Bills Fans that I was being hit, they kindly stopped throwing things at this drunken idiot. 

Again, fans should dress as they please at opposing stadiums, and should be able to do so risk free. That said, I'll pass. Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am going to respectfully disagree. It could NOT have happened to me. You know why?

In a perfect world, a fan can put on a jersey, go to the stadium of an opposing team, and be treated with courtesy and respect. Sometime this may happen too but many times alcohol takes over and opposing fans are beat up, have objects thrown at them, and or are soaked by liquids (usually beer) spilled on them. Please do not look at this post as an attempt at telling people what to do or not do. If it means that much to a fan fly our colors at an opposing stadium you should go for it. After all, you paid for your ticket. 

Most of you are probably too young to remember the "Pumpkin Game" (Bills /Jets) at the Meadowlands. I was there in "plain clothes" lol. I saw fans spit on, beaten, and bloodied. I saw women harassed and even groped. There were virtually no women in the stadium after halftime. Someone started a fire on an end zone seat and the extinguisher security had didn't work, so a drunken fan went over and urinated on it. Then, the famous (at the time) "Morganna" took off her clothes and streaked the field. At one point the players stopped playing and were watching the fights in the stands. It was insane. The stadium was SO empty at halftime that we had seats on the 50 yard line in the first row.  The "Pumpkin Game" is actually on Wikipedia. 

Once at a Bills game I was hit with various objects which were being hurled at an obnoxious Redskin Fan sitting near us (in a Skins jersey of course). I asked him to stop acting out and he gave me the old "I bought my ticket and have my rights," etc. When I told the Bills Fans that I was being hit, they kindly stopped throwing things at this drunken idiot. 

Again, fans should dress as they please at opposing stadiums, and should be able to do so risk free. That said, I'll pass. Jmo.

I think that there are clearly a holes at every NFL stadium. And it is often alcohol induced. In my tenure as a Bills fan I have been to 3 opposing teams cribs. Im my #12 jersey, hubby #78. We had issues in two of them. 

I don 't play that. Security was summoned and both times the perps were ejected. Inside the stadium that is the way it should be too.  Not often enough though does it happen. And some games like you described there just isn't enough security period. 

After  a hard fought win the prudent smart thing to do is keep the celebrations more down low and get the heck out of there , We don't know what provoked this dallas fan. Whatever it was is still a poor excuse don't get me wrong.

In my case Bill I'm not going to let some ahole steal my joy and bills pride. If it were consistently so horrible as to be an abusive not fun away game fan situation I would just not attend.  

Peace hermano GO BILLS

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

In a perfect world, a fan can put on a jersey, go to the stadium of an opposing team, and be treated with courtesy and respect. Sometime this may happen too but many times alcohol takes over and opposing fans are beat up, have objects thrown at them, and or are soaked by liquids (usually beer) spilled on them. Please do not look at this post as an attempt at telling people what to do or not do. If it means that much to a fan fly our colors at an opposing stadium you should go for it. After all, you paid for your ticket. 

I was also at the Pumpkin Game. Crazy times. Probably the wildest crowd I ever saw at a game. Anyway, here are the numbers. All of these years later beer sales still stop at halftime.

Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14 The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was at a game in OP sitting next to a young Jets fan who was by himself. With each beer he got a little bolder, and a little louder. He was harmless enough, but eventually became so obnoxious I had to warn him with “look, we’ve gotten along just fine, but as soon as they hit me with beer or anything else they might throw, my patience for YOU will be gone. I suggest you get your act together. You don’t want ME siding with them.”  He seemed surprised at first, but to his credit he behaved the rest of the game. I honestly don’t think he understood how that could have ended, sadly. At the very least we were about to have some ejections. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I was also at the Pumpkin Game. Crazy times. Probably the wildest crowd I ever saw at a game. Anyway, here are the numbers. All of these years later beer sales still stop at halftime.

Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14 The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

The huge inflated pumpkin was being batted around the stadium as you can surely recall. Security got it and the fans were freaaking out to the point that they tossed it back in the stands. When the pumpkin lost air people were taking wild punches at it. I saw one fan miss and his punch landed on another fan and knocked him on his ass.

One young pretty girl was walking up the steps toward the bathrooms/concessions. Drunks were shouting obsceeties at her to the point where she burst out in tears. 

It was a Monday Night Game and it was unseasonably warm. People had been drinking since noon. I have seen 1000x my share of violence in my life and i'm saying that that stadium was very dangerous that night.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I was at a game in OP sitting next to a young Jets fan who was by himself. With each beer he got a little bolder, and a little louder. He was harmless enough, but eventually became so obnoxious I had to warn him with “look, we’ve gotten along just fine, but as soon as they hit me with beer or anything else they might throw, my patience for YOU will be gone. I suggest you get your act together. You don’t want ME siding with them.”  He seemed surprised at first, but to his credit he behaved the rest of the game. I honestly don’t think he understood how that could have ended, sadly. At the very least we were about to have some ejections. 

I agree. Some fans are drunk to the point of being delusional. The person that you described was sitting there with 70,000 opposing fans, most of them frustrated by decades of inept management. If he kept it up he could have been in danger.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, muppy said:

I think that there are clearly a holes at every NFL stadium. And it is often alcohol induced. In my tenure as a Bills fan I have been to 3 opposing teams cribs. Im my #12 jersey, hubby #78. We had issues in two of them. 

I don 't play that. Security was summoned and both times the perps were ejected. Inside the stadium that is the way it should be too.  Not often enough though does it happen. And some games like you described there just isn't enough security period. 

After  a hard fought win the prudent smart thing to do is keep the celebrations more down low and get the heck out of there , We don't know what provoked this dallas fan. Whatever it was is still a poor excuse don't get me wrong.

In my case Bill I'm not going to let some ahole steal my joy and bills pride. If it were consistently so horrible as to be an abusive not fun away game fan situation I would just not attend.  

Peace hermano GO BILLS

Like I said, you should do as you choose. Two out of three seems like bad odds to me but whatever. My thing is that you never know.

I went to the Alabama/Arkansas game this year at Bryant Denny Stadium. There was a group of Arkansas fans sitting near me. I expected them to get their asses kicked but they were left alone for the entire game. That said, I'm honestly not sure how this would have went down if they would have been wearing shirts of certain other teams.

Edited by Bill from NYC

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Like I said, you should do as you choose. Two out of three seems like bad odds to me but whatever. My thing is that you never know.

I went to the Alabama/Arkansas game this year at Bryant Denny Stadium. There was a group of Arkansas fans sitting near me. I expected them to get their asses kicked but they were left alone for the entire game. That said, I'm honestly not sure how this would have went down if they would have been weaaring shirts of certain other teams.

yeah I should have said it was twice in 2 different away venues that's true. But those 2 venues totaled 6 or so games total over the years. Regardless your point stands. Not to quibble the anecdotal just to clarify 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.