The somewhat probable scenario where Bills win out and miss the playoffs

ImpactCorey

3 hours ago, chongli said:

Based on the Dolphins record against teams with winning records this year and their penchant of December fades for decades now, the realistic odds for the Bills to win the division are probably around 90%. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Glad, thanks to this thread, I've confirmed what certain words mean now.

To my kids who when they ask me if they can have a cat.

"That's somewhat probable."

To women on dating sites who don't look like their profile photos that were actually taken several years ago — before the fat and wrinkles really set in — and who want a second date with me:

To my future woman when she asks me if I want to do yoga Saturday mornings with her:

Thanks, OP!

• Haha (+1) 6

On 12/21/2023 at 11:27 PM, ImpactCorey said:

I keep seeing in simulators that if the Bills win out they have a >99% chance of making the playoffs.  >99% is not 100% so I was curious: what is a scenario where the Bills win out and actually MISS the playoffs?  This is what I came up with:

- First, the Bills win out.  They beat the Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins.  With how they are playing as of late, very possible.  

- The Dolphins win the 2 games before playing the Bills.   These games are against the Cowboys and the Ravens.  This allows them to still win the division.  These are two difficult match ups and an unlikely outcome but when Miami clicks on offense, anything is possible.

- With the loss to the Dolphins, the Ravens still win their division by beating the 49ers or the Steelers.  I think the Steelers game is almost a lock.

- The Jaguars win their division by winning out against the Bucs, Panthers, and Titans.  All weak opponents and very possible assuming Lawrence stays healthy.

- Kansas City wins their division by beating the Raiders and Chargers.  These teams will have nothing left to play for and KC will take advantage.  However, KC drops one to the Bengals.  More on this later.

- The Colts win out by beating the Falcons, Raiders, and Texans.  Winning out will be tough here for the Colts but not great teams they face along the way.

- The Browns beat the Texans and Jets but drop one to the Bengals.   Houston may have a problem at QB and the Jets are the Jets.  This seems reasonable.  Bengals being a key loss again.

- The Bengals win out.  They beat the Steelers, Chiefs, and Browns.  Two key wins as previously mentioned.  This is the most unlikely part of the scenario in my opinion but also the most crucial.  Bengals wining out would be catastrophic for the Bills hopes.   Steelers are falling apart.  Bengals always play up on the Chiefs, and the Browns are a divisional match up.  I'll definitely be paying attention.

So there you have it, in this scenario you have Miami (12-5), Baltimore (12-5), Jacksonville (11-6), and Kansas City (11-6) as the division winners and the wildcards going to Indianapolis (11-6), Cleveland (11-6), and Cincinnati (11-6) even with Buffalo (11-6) winning out.  You know.. in case you were wondering.

Any updates on this “somewhat probable” situation?

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This was never somewhat probable. Every year teams lose games they "should" win down the stretch. This year it's happening almost too often. Virtually every team is losing these games. Except the Bills.

Hopefully people at some point will remember how the NFL actually works and stop playing games in their head on "paper" and saying teams have "no chance" to win. Doubt it tho.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

LFG

In 1 day it turned to this to this-

The somewhat probable scenario the Bills get the 2 seed!!

Bal beats Mia

Bills beat NE and Mia

And to think 3 weeks ago the sky was falling and we were 11th in the AFC

Should know by about 4:30 next Sunday whether 2 of these 3 things have happened…

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Bills win, Steelers over Bengals and I believe Seahawks win and they clinch.

Steelers are playing the Seahawks, and the Chiefs are playing the Bengals. I would assume the Seahawks and Chiefs winning along with a Bills win clinches a WC.

The thing I said for weeks is the Bills were still in it because of the unreliability of who was ahead of them - a young Texans team (and then Stroud gets hurt), a Bengals team with a backup QB and Chase hurt, the Colts who to be honest I am shocked have won as many as they have, the Jags who are mental midgets under pressure, Denver whose QB is still an issue, Cleveland who have a legit D but are on their 4th QB.

It was always likely 1 or maybe 2 of them stuck on down the stretch like the Browns have. But for 3 of those 6 to be consistent was always highly unlikely IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Bills win, Seahawks over Steelers and a Bengals loss to Chiefs, I believe.

Also: Bills win and 1 of the Bengals or Steelers lose, combined with 2 losses from the Jags, Colts or Texans. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing I said for weeks is the Bills were still in it because of the unreliability of who was ahead of them - a young Texans team (and then Stroud gets hurt), a Bengals team with a backup QB and Chase hurt, the Colts who to be honest I am shocked have won as many as they have, the Jags who are mental midgets under pressure, Denver whose QB is still an issue, Cleveland who have a legit D but are on their 4th QB.

It was always likely 1 or maybe 2 of them stuck on down the stretch like the Browns have. But for 3 of those 6 to be consistent was always highly unlikely IMO.

Little OT here, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore since the point of this thread is dead anyway :)

Based on your theory on 3 elite players, do we have a shot on SB right now? Since to me we have 2 difference makers right now - Allen and Oliver. Not sure we can count Diggs based on last weeks.

So, we have a chance if Diggs performs on an elite level? 

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Little OT here, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore since the point of this thread is dead anyway :)

Based on your theory on 3 elite players, do we have a shot on SB right now? Since to me we have 2 difference makers right now - Allen and Oliver. Not sure we can count Diggs based on last weeks.

Yea we need Stef back to his best. I thought he was exceptional on Saturday FWIW. I know they didn't target him a ton but it was his best game for a while. 

And yea, Ed has been elite this year.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/26/2023 at 7:51 AM, Gregg said:

Are they any scenarios for week 17 where the Bills can clinch a playoff spot or do we have to wait until week 18 to clinch. 

I think there’s five scenarios if the Bills win. Losses by either…

Pitt and Cin

Pitt and Jax

Jax and Cin

Pitt and Hou and Indy

Cin and Hou and Indy

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Steelers are playing the Seahawks, and the Chiefs are playing the Bengals. I would assume the Seahawks and Chiefs winning along with a Bills win clinches a WC.

Thanks, Greg, I caught it just after I wrote it and corrected it, hoping before anyone quoted it.  I knew right away. 

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Also: Bills win and 1 of the Bengals or Steelers lose, combined with 2 losses from the Jags, Colts or Texans. 

@Gregg

11th, gentlemen.  We were 11th in the AFC 3 weeks ago.  This is crazy and this is joyous.

Happy Holidays.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Multiple teams ‘have a chance this year! 

We can see that as spot on, after last night’s dismantling of front running San Fran, who fell from the best around to ‘possible’.

NO game will be pretty. For the Bills? There can be no slip ups now, no buffoon like coaching mismanagement, no dropping critical balls, no fumbling them like a clued out Rookie- until September, because of their early banana skin FUBARs!

It could be anybody in the AFC Championship, even the Browns @ Buffalo! That’s how whacky it is in 2023.

And they could play the Lions for the Lombardi!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It could be anybody in the AFC Championship, even the Browns @ Buffalo! That’s how whacky it is in 2023.

And they could play the Lions for the Lombardi!

I'll sign up for Lake Erie Championship Conference and Super Bowl right now 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.