Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He probably did, but facility access is more than just pressers; not being in the facility does limit the people he will meet/develop relationships with/talk to.

Not really. Journalists just use other sources and peoples agents to get interviews.  Sure, he don't have the access of Sal C., but he can easily get interviews with players and staff.  

I'm tempted to pm you the entire story but I'm guessing you will just biasly rip it apart because you don't seem willing to have an open mind about the whole thing and don't seem to like the guy.

Edited by Scott7975

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so let me be sure I understand you.

You're saying that Ty Dunne researched, wrote, and published this article for the purpose of getting McDermott fired, or of persuading Pegula to fire him?

In other words, it's a hit piece with an agenda by Dunne, and I'm giving him way too much credit that he's a more or less honest journalist following his business model and trying to write deep-researched pieces that will draw in subscribers, and since he makes his home in WNY (as I understand it) the Bills players and coaches may be easier for him to connect with?

The purpose of a journalist is to highlight important perspectives. There are many with the perspective that Sean McDermott is bad at his job. Dunne wrote this highlighting that perspective.

You can call it whatever you want - "hit piece" "agenda" "poor journalism" etc. but it doesn't change the fact that many people believe McDermott stinks and there's plenty of evidence to support that viewpoint.

The public received the viewpoint recently that McDermott's job is very safe regardless of the poor job he's doing on the field. Dunne's work is the response to that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Didn't Ken Dorsey fail this season?  I think that quote is ridiculous.   Also he starts with a quote, inserts his opinion, and ends with a quote like the entire narrative was from a reliable source.   His writing style is deceptive IMO.  I was hoping for a more fact based article where I could form my own opinion

Prior to the season, a number of people here expressed concern about Dorsey returning as OC.  Serious professional journalists - Joe Buscaglia for one - tagged "returning Dorsey as OC" as the Bills riskiest off-season decision.  So this isn't some "we all thought Dorsey was brilliant and now he's McDermott's 'Escape Goat' " revisionist thinking.

I defended Dorsey's performance last season on statistical grounds and on the grounds that he lacked some critical pieces.  This season, he got an upgraded OL and a first-round draft pick to work with as well as some solid journeyman acquisitions at WR and a "gadget" guy who was alleged to be an upgrade on McKenzie.

The result IMO was objectively under-whelming and under-performing.  Yes, the Bills D gave up some game winning drives, but if the offense is functioning at the level expected for a "gift from the Football Gods" QB, there shouldn't be so many games where a drive in the final minutes can turn the game - and the defense is also objectively depleted by key injuries at every level and has frankly done better than I expected.

My opinion

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I understand they didn't have a Josh Allen. I also guarantee ALL of them wouldn't have done the things McDermott has done with this team. McDermott, while not making the best in game decisions at times, is much smarter than any of those guys prior. If you think Dick Jauron has the same success with Allen that McDermott has, you're delusional

If you put Allen on the 2014 Marrone Bills that went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB, I'd bet good money that team wins the Division and makes a good run in the playoffs.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Frazier for sure.

And how did that work out for being a head coach?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Prior to the season, a number of people here expressed concern about Dorsey returning as OC.  Serious professional journalists - Joe Buscaglia for one - tagged "returning Dorsey as OC" as the Bills riskiest off-season decision.

I defended Dorsey's performance last season on statistical grounds and on the grounds that he lacked some critical pieces.  This season, he got an upgraded OL and a first-round draft pick to work with as well as some solid journeyman acquisitions at WR and a "gadget" guy who was alleged to be an upgrade on McKenzie.

The result IMO was objectively under-whelming.  Yes, the Bills D gave up some game winning drives, but if the offense is functioning at the level expected for a "gift from the Football Gods" QB, there shouldn't be so many games where a drive in the final minutes can turn the game - and the defense is also objectively depleted by key injuries at every level.

And when the Defensive minded HC has his hands up Dorsey's ass, that doesn't help either.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

He was a Bills reporter for only 2 total years. That is 1 year between 2010 and 2011. And 1 year between 2015 and 2016.

McDermott was still in Carolina when Dunne reported here

The entirety of McDermotts tenure in Buffalo, Dunne has been a national NFL writer … but he hates McDermott for some contentious time he had with the organization BEFORE McDermott arrived?

Nonsensical.

Then why is he spending so much time on McDermott tracking down and interviewing the Jon feliciano’s and levi wallace’s that nobody cares about?  This guy spent countless hours collecting negative stories from anonymous sources who are no longer here.  Get Josh Allen or Diggs or Milano’s opinion.  Not a collection of end of roster players who are no longer here.  Then spout some 25 source number, 20 of which could’ve said positive stuff.  All the negative stuff could be coming from the same 4-5 guys.  When he does the same exercise for every current NFL coach tracking down coaches and players not brought back, there’d be far worse stories than poorly worded 9/11 motivational speeches.  

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The purpose of a journalist is to highlight important perspectives. There are many with the perspective that Sean McDermott is bad at his job. Dunne wrote this highlighting that perspective.

You can call it whatever you want - "hit piece" "agenda" "poor journalism" etc. but it doesn't change the fact that many people believe McDermott stinks and there's plenty of evidence to support that viewpoint.

The public received the viewpoint recently that McDermott's job is very safe regardless of the poor job he's doing on the field. Dunne's work is the response to that.

The public also received the viewpoint recently (from an NFL insider) that McDermott's job will be evaluated after the season.  There is a thread about that on the board.

Like I said, I don't want to put words in your mouth.  When you say "articles like these are required when a head coach is not getting the job done and an article comes out with sources close to Pegula saying there's no chance he gets fired after the season", are you saying Dunne specifically researched and wrote this article as a response to the Athletic article saying McDermott's job is safe?

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Then why is he spending so much time on McDermott tracking down and interviewing the Jon feliciano’s and levi wallace’s that nobody cares about?  This guy spent countless hours collecting negative stories from anonymous sources who are no longer here.  Get Josh Allen or Diggs or Milano’s opinion.  Not a collection of end of roster players who are no longer here.  Then spout some 25 source number, 20 of which could’ve said positive stuff.  All the negative stuff could be coming from the same 4-5 guys.  When he does the same exercise for every current NFL coach tracking down coaches and players not brought back, there’d be far worse stories than poorly worded 9/11 motivational speeches.  

There's a ton of positive stuff in the article if you actually read it. Some of it even in the free parts. I quoted this yesterday as an example:

"His intent — players repeat — is pure.

The coach who ended the Bills’ 17-year playoff drought realizes how badly locals are dying for their first Super Bowl. The quest consumes him.

“He never, ever, ever does a damn thing with any other intention than to empower and grow the Buffalo Bills franchise,” this ex-Bill said. “That’s a fact. Now, whether or not the *****’s going to work or whether or not the players are going to receive it well? That’s a different conversation. But it doesn’t come from an evil ‘Sean McDermott wants all the praise and all the credit.’ He genuinely wants every person in that organization to thrive and win a lot of games to the point of exhaustion.

“All he wants to do is help that team win. Now, that’s the truth.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'll say it again - articles like these are required when a head coach is not getting the job done and an article comes out with sources close to Pegula saying there's no chance he gets fired after the season.

If falling short on the field ("game management, decision making, whether some of the core principles of his defense are really sustainable under the modern salary cap") isn't going to result in changes then we have to go a different route.

Maybe Pegula is now getting the message. We're not going to allow Josh Allen to play his career here in Buffalo without lifting the Lombardi Trophy.

Agree 100%.  When Graham's article came out saying Sean is basically safe, I accepted it and even expected/agreed with it based on what Sean has done since his arrival.  But if the points exposed in this article about McD don't bother you as a Bills fan, your head is buried in the sand like an ostrich. 

Dunne's expose has served to hit me over the head... We are likely only going so far under Sean, & all signs to this point say we may have already gone as far as we can with him.  We basically need to win out to sneak into the playoffs.  

And via Hard Knocks, although he is extremely aloof, you can easily see what McDaniel has going on down in Miami... there's little doubt he trusts the talents of his players to enable them to go out & make plays.  Kind of like what Daboll had fostered with Josh while his tutor/OC.  

We should all agree, we need to do whatever is necessary to allow Josh to flourish while we have him here in his prime.  Joe Brady has been like a glob of Flex Seal so far, so we shall see what they do from here and/or how they respond to what has been at best a very unsettling bye week!

Trust the process reporting & your own two eyes!

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

37 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Dick Jauron went to Yale. To think McDermott is smarter than him is hilarious.

Jauron also once went 13-3 with some guy named Jim Miller as his quarterback.

Chan Gailey would have set NFL offensive records that wouldn't be touched for 30 years with a player like Josh Allen as his QB.

You can guarantee anything you want - doesn't make it true. But the evidence is overwhelming: McDermott is a meathead who gets too nervous at the end of games to lead an NFL team. I'm sorry if that makes you emotional.

Dick Jauron had a fluke season under Jim Miller where he went 13-3 where I believe he won 2 games on last second Hail Mary's and another with a pic 6 that was ran back in OT. He had 3 extra fluke wins that season. I think McDermott is smarter from a football perspective. Jauron was a horrible coach. I think the one season McDermott had with Taylor was more impressive than what Jauron had with Jim Miller. If Jauron had Allen, it would be like a Staley/Herbert situation. Where You have the talented franchise guy and can't win sh*t. I would take McDermott without Allen over any of those other guys we had before him

Edited by Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Then why is he spending so much time on McDermott tracking down and interviewing the Jon feliciano’s and levi wallace’s that nobody cares about?  This guy spent countless hours collecting negative stories from anonymous sources who are no longer here. 

This is like asking, “why did Bob Woodward spend so much time investigating Nixon”.

Journalists follow stories. If there is a story brewing of people not liking a head coach, he follows it. 

You ask why he didn’t get Allen or Milano’s opinion. He wrote in the interview that he tried, but the Bills won’t let him “in”.

You’re someone who won’t believe the story unless McD yells in your face “it’s true!”. And that’s fine. But its nonsensical IMO.

And there is some positive stuff in the article. People just aren’t paying attention to it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There's a ton of positive stuff in the article if you actually read it. Some of it even in the free parts. I quoted this yesterday as an example:

"His intent — players repeat — is pure.

The coach who ended the Bills’ 17-year playoff drought realizes how badly locals are dying for their first Super Bowl. The quest consumes him.

“He never, ever, ever does a damn thing with any other intention than to empower and grow the Buffalo Bills franchise,” this ex-Bill said. “That’s a fact. Now, whether or not the *****’s going to work or whether or not the players are going to receive it well? That’s a different conversation. But it doesn’t come from an evil ‘Sean McDermott wants all the praise and all the credit.’ He genuinely wants every person in that organization to thrive and win a lot of games to the point of exhaustion.

“All he wants to do is help that team win. Now, that’s the truth.”

Yes.  And the only thing that makes headlines is the 9/11 story and 25 sources.  

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What I don't like about the article personally is it could have waited at least until the season was over.  This team is fighting for a playoff spot and still has ambitions of winning.  It doesn't need further distractions.  Of course, media people never care about how what they write affects peoples lives.  All they care about is their story.  That goes for most journalists, not just Dunne.

It was the perfect time to release it. If McDermott is the man for this job - one to lead this franchise to its first Super Bowl win - then an article with a few negative quotes is not going to distract him or the team and they'll be fine.

If he's as bad as many think, Dunne's article will help lead this team down into the dumps and the fan pressure will (hopefully) require Pegula to make a change in January.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The public also received the viewpoint recently (from an NFL insider) that McDermott's job will be evaluated after the season.  There is a thread about that on the board.

Like I said, I don't want to put words in your mouth.  When you say "articles like these are required when a head coach is not getting the job done and an article comes out with sources close to Pegula saying there's no chance he gets fired after the season", are you saying Dunne specifically researched and wrote this article as a response to the Athletic article saying McDermott's job is safe?

i have to ask how you have such strongly held opinions on something you admitted you haven't bothered to read

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm sure Dunne had been working on this longer than the time the "McDermott's job is safe" statements came out but the timing of release makes sense to me.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If you put Allen on the 2014 Marrone Bills that went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB, I'd bet good money that team wins the Division and makes a good run in the playoffs.

I mean the dude took over a 3 win team and got them to the playoffs with Christian Ponder and Joe Webb at QB.  He might not have done well but he wasn't exactly set up for success at QB either.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

This is like asking, “why did Bob Woodward spend so much time investigating Nixon”.

Journalists follow stories. If there is a story brewing of people not liking a head coach, he follows it. 

You ask why he didn’t get Allen or Milano’s opinion. He wrote in the interview that he tried, but the Bills won’t let him “in”.

You’re someone who won’t believe the story unless McD yells in your face “it’s true!”. And that’s fine. But its nonsensical IMO.

And there is some positive stuff in the article. People just aren’t paying attention to it.

Any comparison to Watergate reporters is nonsensical.  Talk to people who matter.  Not Quentin Spain and Chad Hall.  Interview guys who left and came back line Shaq Lawson.  That’s real reporting.  

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The result IMO was objectively under-whelming and under-performing.  Yes, the Bills D gave up some game winning drives, but if the offense is functioning at the level expected for a "gift from the Football Gods" QB, there shouldn't be so many games where a drive in the final minutes can turn the game - and the defense is also objectively depleted by key injuries at every level and has frankly done better than I expected.

My opinion

I share that opinion

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not everyone in the article said negative stuff.  Look, I know almost no one in this thread has read the entire article but I have said all over this thread that the entire thing isn't negative nor is everyone he talked to.  Also IMO, the 9/11 part wasn't even the worst part of the article and it was a small section of a large article.  It's just what everyone is focused on.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Any comparison to Watergate reporters is nonsensical.  Talk to people who matter.  Not Quentin Spain and Chad Hall.  Interview guys who left and came back line Shaq Lawson.  That’s real reporting.  

While I agree about comparing sports reporting to anything as serious as Watergate, I also think you are just arbitrarily drawing lines as to what you deem "good sources" vs "bad sources". Spain is a joke, but he's hardly the only source. If any of Chad Hall, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander are in there (which is likely), that's decent enough for me. There's enough positive in the article to show it wasnt just a bunch of Spains being bitter.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

I remember Marv Levy told his teams Germany didn’t prevail in WW 2 because Hitler couldn’t win on the road.

Did people freak out about that comment?

Well it's clearly different in that you really can't see that as potentially complimenting a terrible group of people. Not a great analogy I guess in that well they did win on the road exclusively until they didn't and then they never won at home.

36 minutes ago, wppete said:

GAxo2hMXMAEZnJ-?format=jpg&name=large

It's an awful and inappropriate analogy to have been made, but the "if evil can accomplish this then imagine what we can accomplish' doing things the right way," aspect of the whole thing is pretty much lost in this whole controversy. Which is as inconsiderate an idea as the analogy was that part at least paints him in a better light than the idea that it was simply look how good these terrorists worked together.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the tweet is true. Whatever you think of McDermott coming out of this story (and as I said before I think there is likely a basis of truth to most of it) Dunne comes off really badly. And he likely doesn't realise what he has just done to his own career.

Even if the season doesn't play out like we hope and they miss the playoffs and McDermott gets fired, it's not like the next HC is going to want this guy anywhere near his players or coaches.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm sure Dunne had been working on this longer than the time the "McDermott's job is safe" statements came out but the timing of release makes sense to me.

Yea something like this is 2 to 3 months work minimum. I think the timing of the release is more about causing maximum damage to the Bills season (therefore getting McDermott closer to the sack) than it is anything to do with the Athletic article. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Funny how people ignore those parts.

wHy DoEsNt DuNnE wRiTe PoSiTiVe StUfF

Because it doesn't fit what they want to believe.  Also most of that stuff is behind a paywall and probably some people didn't even read the free parts... just the snippets posted here.  I swear if it wasn't against the ToS of this website, I would copy paste the whole thing here lol.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe.  The 2014 Marrone-led Bills went to 9-7 on the strength of a #4 overall defense.  They had a fading FredEx as their leading rusher, and Watkins (best season as a pro), and not much else as weapons. 

The OC was nominally Nathaniel Hackett, whom Aaron Rodgers likes a lot and who got a chance to flame out as the Denver HC based on that liking.  He hasn't done a lot otherwise, which one could attribute to having Blake Bortles as his QB in Jacksonville and Zach Wilson with the Jets. 

Or one could look at it as, Hackett has yet to demonstrate that he can develop a QB nor work with a QB who showed success elsewhere (Wilson).

I personally think this kind of revisionist speculation is pointless, and certainly debatable, but with the huge growth in Sports Betting it wouldn't shock me if you could actually make such a bet.

By the way, a number of lines of evidence point to Marrone having a pretty giant ego, at least while he was with the Bills.  Remember "Saint Doug"?  And there was a reporter who wrote about a wierd private interview session he had with Marrone after publishing some info that made Marrone look bad, that had shades of the "Godfather" about it.  I seem to recall several articles at the time.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While I agree about comparing sports reporting to anything as serious as Watergate, I also think you are just arbitrarily drawing lines as to what you deem "good sources" vs "bad sources". Spain is a joke, but he's hardly the only source. If any of Chad Hall, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo Alexander are in there (which is likely), that's decent enough for me. There's enough positive in the article to show it wasnt just a bunch of Spains being bitter.

Since I’m not paying $8 to read this, only thing I’d be interested in is the named sources in the article 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Everyone matters otherwise it's biased and he did interview people that left and came back but again.... you didn't read the article.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not everyone in the article said negative stuff.  Look, I know almost no one in this thread has read the entire article but I have said all over this thread that the entire thing isn't negative nor is everyone he talked to.  Also IMO, the 9/11 part wasn't even the worst part of the article and it was a small section of a large article.  It's just what everyone is focused on.

Completely agree!  

Thanks for pointing that out.  

It's a great piece, and contrary to the notions that Dunne whipped it up on short-order and simply decided to release it now, that's ridiculous.  The amount of time and effort that clearly went into it must've taken many months at least.  Well before the start of the season.  

But yeah, the piece says some positive things too, but it's also clear that those positives are McD's ceiling, and that he simply doesn't have the polished nuances that are necessary for the team to optimize the play of the team.  Those things have also gone noticed by most people here as well however, but we've simply not had the hard evidence to validate them.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Deep Throat didn't even work at the White House. 

Leaving aside ToS, there is this thing called Copyright Law

Yeah but I'm a rebel. 

17 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It was the perfect time to release it. If McDermott is the man for this job - one to lead this franchise to its first Super Bowl win - then an article with a few negative quotes is not going to distract him or the team and they'll be fine.

If he's as bad as many think, Dunne's article will help lead this team down into the dumps and the fan pressure will (hopefully) require Pegula to make a change in January.

I get that point of view I just don't want any excuses like last year "we were mentally exhausted" type stuff.  I never bought into that excuse making.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My opinion

Again are you one of those going on about what a wonderous game the Bills D played allowing Jax 500+ yards?  Yea yea yea injuries, but 500 yards!!!!!  

Maybe.  The 2014 Marrone-led Bills went to 9-7 on the strength of a #4 overall defense.  They had a fading FredEx as their leading rusher, and Watkins (best season as a pro), and not much else as weapons. 

The OC was nominally Nathaniel Hackett, whom Aaron Rodgers likes a lot and who got a chance to flame out as the Denver HC based on that liking.  He hasn't done a lot otherwise, which one could attribute to having Blake Bortles as his QB in Jacksonville and Zach Wilson with the Jets. 

Or one could look at it as, Hackett has yet to demonstrate that he can develop a QB nor work with a QB who showed success elsewhere (Wilson).

I personally think this kind of revisionist speculation is pointless, and certainly debatable, but with the huge growth in Sports Betting it wouldn't shock me if you could actually make such a bet.

That's my point. They did that well only based on their top Defense. Throw in a real QB, let alone a dual threat like Allen, and we have at least 2 more wins (Denver and Raiders) which puts us in the playoffs. And away we go.

Of course it's speculation, and pointless. But it has as much creedance as any statement saying none of the other coaches would do better with Allen on their team. We all lived the drought. We all should know/remember our biggest issue was not being able to find a QB.

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not your or my or our job to find them. When we fired Rex, did you even know Sean McDermott existed? I didn't.

But the consulting firm helped Terry identify him as a candidate, and the professionals worked it out from there.

Look in our own division. The Miami Dolphins. They had a Defensive-minded, supposed "high character" guy who couldn't get the most from his talented roster and was neutering their franchise QB. They fire Flores and bring in McDaniel, an unheard of dork, and Tua sees immediate improvement and here they are in year 2 as the #1 seed in the AFC and about to take the Division from us. No major tear down and rebuild, just a quick change to a younger, modern, Offensive minded HC.

Heck with that said, if the O continues to put up 30+ every game, hand the keys to Brady and let's roll.

The new coach may or may not take us to the promise land, but we know based on MULTIPLE examples that McDermott simply can't/won't.

That's fair, put the trust in people who can identify potential candidates that fit what we are looking for.

To be fair, Flores had never shown the top end result McD has.  And to add, McDaniel wasn't unheard of, just very unproven.  We talk a lot about Ben Johnson, but his offense has shown to have some stinkers against top end competition.  And to be fair to McD, for MOST of his tenure, he has beaten up on teams who are bad/average, and only has lost to the best of the best.  Heck, even McDaniel's Miami team has been criticized with not being good against great teams.  They remind me a lot of the 2019 Bills, who were good but found themselves losing to the best teams in the league.

I trust Beane to evaluate talent.  I dont necessarily trust Pegula, but I can understand people wanting a change.  This article doesn't do anything to sway me to a new coach, I'm in the mindset that if Sean doesn't make the playoffs, we will likely move on and bring in a new coach.  But that's to performance and ONLY performance.  These anecdotal stories from several years doesn't really give me any pause in who Sean is.  He is what most HCs are, methodical to a fault, and self-confident to a fault.

If the Bills fire Sean, and bring in an OC, I'll be just as excited as if we keep Sean and roll into next year.  I don't think that's the case for most on the board, who will be more excited with a new HC than Sean.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Or like a McDermott/Allen situation.

Not the same thing. What you're referring to as not winning anything is a Super Bowl. They have won plenty together in the regular season and in the playoffs. Herbert/Staley has been together for 3 years and had one playoff game and a huge collapse in that one game. You wanna talk about losing one score games, Staley is the king

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And how exactly do you know?  Like me you have no idea, just an opinion.  I however can promise you 99%+ of coaches wouldn't have screwed up 13 seconds or had 12 men on the field vs. Denver.

Everything else is just an OPINION

Just like some of us think McD is not a good coach (something I have stood behind from halfway through season 1).

Because McDermott is better than any of those guys. I would take McDermott without Allen than any of those other coaches with what they had. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea something like this is 2 to 3 months work. I think the timing of the release is more about causing maximum damage to the Bills season (therefore getting McDermott closer to the sack) than it is anything to do with the Athletic article. 

I know you have a background as a journalist, but I would have guessed it was sourced over more like a year.  I would guess that as Dunne talks to people, he collects notes and quotes on what they say on several topics and of further sources to follow-up with, and collects them in literal or figurative "folders" which he reviews periodically in view of likely current topical interest.

But are you saying that Dunne timed the release deliberately to damage the Bills season and to maximize the possibility that McDermott gets fired?  Because journalists who know him have spoken out that Dunne is not a guy with an "axe to grind", but timing an article's release to maximize damage to his home town team's season and its head coach, kind of would sound like an ax.  If I'm misinterpreting you, please do clarify and correct.

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Possibly. Maybe moreso that team than with any of the other guys we had before McDermott 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not the same thing. What you're referring to as not winning anything is a Super Bowl. They have won plenty together in the regular season and in the playoffs. Herbert/Staley has been together for 3 years and had one playoff game and a huge collapse in that one game. You wanna talk about losing one score games, Staley is the king

Staley has only been a head coach for two seasons man. McDermott is on his 7th. Sheesh.

And Herbert - while good - isn't the player that Josh Allen is.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

sadly with some the bar isn't very high on the most intelligent things people have ever said.

but when you are in front of a microphone every day then you're bound to make mistakes and not come off as best as possible. hell, i was just on the news for an interview. took 35 minutes for the interview and it brought down to 4 minutes. i look about as special needs as they come... i have half of a mind to post it.

Pleaseeeeeeeee do

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.