McD on late game decisions - "Hindsight is always 20/20"

HomeskillitMoorman

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean it’s certainly gone bad but a defensive timeout led to a huge 3rd down stop to keep Philly in fringe field goal range they just hit an absolute bomb.

20.9 % of making that kick from Nex Gen Stats.   I know he made it,  but that kick was a pull slice (golf term) and ugly as heck.   But nonetheless, he made it.

Those attacking McD personally can put it where the sun don’t shine.  Devoted family man of faith from all accounts.  But I would argue he made two really bad decisions yesterday, one of which he has made too many times:

1.  Calling a TO to ice the kicker.  That does nothing to a pro kicker

2.  Taking the ball out of the hands of a great QB with 20 seconds left.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

That's why you see these asinine late game timeouts that seemingly help the opposition more than us, and see a future HOF quarterback with 350 yards and 4 TDs already under his belt kneeling out the clock with 20 seconds and 1 time out in a MUST WIN GAME.  This panicked loser mentality undoubtedly rubs off on the players

Exactly!

You have a driving rain storm and the Kicker must blast it 59 yards. Only a buffoon calls a TO to give that Kicker MORE time to concentrate on getting it right!

And then, because you’ve called TWO TOs, you screw your own super human QB when you do!

This ‘ 13 ticks’ and ‘12 men on the field’ ***** clown NEVER gets it right!

Never.

Ever.

1 for 6 in OT as well?

BEGONE! Got to go!

He’s a loser dissipating the career talents of the greatest QB the Bills have had and one of the GOAT should he continue for another decade!

Of course, the QB will be leaving Orchard Park looooong before, if he has a chance to win anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

We'll revisit thoughts once we have another off season to go through and Sean is still here to screw us in 2024

I go back to the Rockpile. To me 2024 is just one more blip. I’m not going to let them make me crazy. A little sad and upset for a bit, but life goes on.  

10 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

20.9 % of making that kick from Nex Gen Stats.   I know he made it,  but that kick was a pull slice (golf term) and ugly as heck.   But nonetheless, he made it.

People seem to also forget, Philly made the kick harder on themselves with Penalties than the Bills defense did.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Those attacking McD personally can put it where the sun don’t shine.  Devoted family man of faith from all accounts.  But I would argue he made two really bad decisions yesterday, one of which he has made too many times:

1.  Calling a TO to ice the kicker.  That does nothing to a pro kicker

2.  Taking the ball out of the hands of a great QB with 20 seconds left.

You left one out.

He had no spy on hurts for his game winning TD run

yes the memory of 13 seconds probably should have been enough muscle memory to keep the timeouts and work the 20 seconds.  agree.

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I have no more McD left in me, he has to go. 

I don't think it will happen.   Pegs is nursing his wife back to health.  I'm sure that's about all he's been thinking for many, many months, with good reason.   

I could be wrong, but he's leaving the team to the McBeanes for the foreseeable futue, which means they ain't goin anywhere.   

Given how they executed for much of the game, running the table from here on out is a real possibility.   Hang in there, fanatics.   This ain't over just yet.  

5 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

This guy does not get it. At all. 

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

I will just take one of his many poor decisions,  like wasting his second time out so he could ice the kicker.  What pressure did that kicker have making a 59 FG in a rainstorm? If he misses no one is going to blame him and wasting that timeout actually gave them time to properly to prepare.  

Then that decisions leads him not taking a shot with 20 secs left.  McDermott says there were risks,  Philly had one sack in that game and KC moved down the field in 13 secs on this very Bills team.  The bigger risk was losing the coin toss and expecting your defence to get a stop or winning the toss and only getting a FG which is what happened and Philly then going down the field for TD.  

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Why would you dislike McD as a human being?  You literally dont know the guy personally.  

I like what I know about him away from football, but I want him off the Bills payroll 🤣

38 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I will just take one of his many poor decisions,  like wasting his second time out so he could ice the kicker.  What pressure did that kicker have making a 59 FG in a rainstorm? If he misses no one is going to blame him and wasting that timeout actually gave them time to properly to prepare.  

Then that decisions leads him not taking a shot with 20 secs left.  McDermott says there were risks,  Philly had one sack in that game and KC moved down the field in 13 secs on this very Bills team.  The bigger risk was losing the coin toss and expecting your defence to get a stop or winning the toss and only getting a FG which is what happened and Philly then going down the field for TD.  

I know, even with one timeout. You have Josh Allen, throw a bomb for FG range and call the timeout, if it's picked its like a punt who cares.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Because everything with him is deflecting accountability. It's the fault of his coordinators, bad luck, or in this case it's just hindsight.

It's not like you can be prepared for late game management scenarios. Oh wait...yes you can.

For example, if you were down 4 with 1 minute left and no timeouts and it was 4th and 1 at the goal line and you decided to take a field goal and attempt an onside kick and it doesn't work...it's not hindsight to say it was horrible game management. It would have been horrible game management even if it worked. And I would say it for the other way around too. I have disliked McD for a long time but I defended him when we went for it on 4th and goal, down 3, with 1 second left or whatever it was vs the Titans a couple of years ago when we didn't get it. It didn't work out, but it was absolutely the right call to go for it there. That's what you do as a Head Coach, put your team in the best position to succeed. 

But questioning these decisions isn't Hindsight like he said, it's just being prepared for them. He rarely ever is and he makes the same mistakes over and over and over again and has been for 7 years now. 

Yes, I don't like someone that tries to pawn off accountability onto others and to completely deflect from themselves for their own horrific decisions. It's not a good character trait. 

Yep. A leader should never deflect blame to others.

The man needs to read “extreme Ownership “ by Jocko and learn a thing or 10

17 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I like what I know about him away from football, but I want him off the Bills payroll 🤣

I know, even with one timeout. You have Josh Allen, throw a bomb for FG range and call the timeout, if it's picked its like a punt who cares.

Or PI just like Denver got on us,  but remember the game last season against Detriot similar situation only difference was Allen had 23 secs and Allen hit Diggs for 36 yards to set up 45 yard FG and win the game

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

This guy does not get it. At all. 

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

I don't disagree that McD is flawed in putting everything on his defense in late game situations and using his TOs to help them out at the expense of the offense...but on this Board he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  In the Denver game he blitzes at the end and gets burned.  In this game he doesn't.  Same result...a loss.    He got away from "playing not to lose" and now he's back there again.  My hope is that during this bye week he realizes he needs to put the game on his offense...which is now the team's strength under Brady.  Play the season out with that mindset.  Let's see what happens.  In the off season...depending on what happens, let the chips fall where they may.

Just now, Since1981 said:

A 49 yr old that doesn’t grow. Time to move on. Nice guy, steady, but so am I and I don’t make $8M, nor can I coach an NFL team

Don’t be too hard on yourself…with the talent on the roster I’m sure you would be able to get us to .500 just like McD 😆

To me he strikes me as a horrible boss/manager.  Doesn’t grow or mature and blames/fires his subordinates as if he didn’t directly hire all of them.  Dabol’s interaction after the Giants game tells the tale.  Rather than a hug and thanks for helping me get a HC gig it was a curt FU from the man most responsible for McD’s previous success.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.